ADVERTISEMENT

Is Husker football coach job better or worse than a few years ago?

I think it is a much worse job. You had a lot of infighting, backbiting, and it also still shows in the fan base. An ex coach and many players said there were big problems with the administration. Some of that may be fixed now, I am unsure. Firing 9 win coaches again doesn't help, and being the glass heart fans and players when ESPN's Gameday makes a joke at your expense and the way in which people handled that last year wasn't cool either. Then you have the wins and losses, for 15 years. Even the fan base concedes that we are not what we used to be. So there is no one thing to blame for it. You have a program without a proven identity. Maybe that changes in the future under coach Riley, maybe not. I think everyone respects Nebraska's past old history, just not the recent history. Moving to a new conference erased a lot of history and tradition as well. Increased money or not, I feel that was move was a huge nail in the coffin for the program as well. Everything has to be rebuilt again. Possibly including the fan base at some point, because it still remains fractured.

My god......

I think it is a much worse job. You had a lot of infighting, backbiting, and it also still shows in the fan base. An ex coach and many players said there were big problems with the administration. Some of that may be fixed now, I am unsure. Firing 9 win coaches again doesn't help, and being the glass heart fans and players when ESPN's Gameday makes a joke at your expense and the way in which people handled that last year wasn't cool either. Then you have the wins and losses, for 15 years. Even the fan base concedes that we are not what we used to be. So there is no one thing to blame for it. You have a program without a proven identity. Maybe that changes in the future under coach Riley, maybe not. I think everyone respects Nebraska's past old history, just not the recent history. Moving to a new conference erased a lot of history and tradition as well. Increased money or not, I feel that was move was a huge nail in the coffin for the program as well. Everything has to be rebuilt again. Possibly including the fan base at some point, because it still remains fractured.
If you think the fanbase is more fractured now than it was under Pelini his last few years, you're just silly.

Here's the deal....

We're picked to finish 3rd in the West division.
*That is not progress

However, it's preseason and it doesn't mean crap!

Whether you're a Bo hater or wish he and staff was still here...it doesn't matter anymore. This is a critical season and progress is necessary. If not, time to start cleaning house....AGAIN! However, you start with the AD this time. The media that loves Riley and staff it's all "Fake News". Results are judged on the field. Unfortunately, every time we have to repeat this cycle, it damages the history/tradition we have and diminishes the prestige of our coaching position and our team.
Spot on!

Remember a few years ago when it was impossible to get high level recruits to Nebraska anymore? Well this coaching staff is providing big that theory wrong with Bookie and Lindsey. So I would say that it makes Nebraska look like a better destination than a few years ago.
I'm not sure referencing 2 four starts proves that much right now. Its not like the past guy didn't get any. It seems like we spend a lot of time excusing away what that guy did while avoiding the lack of justifiable results from MR right now. We just really need a couple of solid years of play on the field to go along with the better recruiting efforts.

Here's the deal....

We're picked to finish 3rd in the West division.
*That is not progress

However, it's preseason and it doesn't mean crap!

Whether you're a Bo hater or wish he and staff was still here...it doesn't matter anymore. This is a critical season and progress is necessary. If not, time to start cleaning house....AGAIN! However, you start with the AD this time. The media that loves Riley and staff it's all "Fake News". Results are judged on the field. Unfortunately, every time we have to repeat this cycle, it damages the history/tradition we have and diminishes the prestige of our coaching position and our team.

Very good. I'll add a little to it. Right now it is a worse job. Many people had the attitude after Bo that any monkey could win 9 games here. After 6-7 and then a 9-4 with some bad losses it leaves a lot of questions to people outside the state of Nebraska.....even a fair amount of people inside the state.

But that is right now. And only a shared opinion by many. But this could be short-lived with a couple of good seasons. Its as simple as that. If MR can put together a couple of West division championships over the next couple of years it could spring board this head coaching job into a great job. If not......the only thing that will get a great coach here is about 5-6 million a year.

Conference titles are not national titles. Where is the tiebreaker between Nebraska and Michigan. Nice try though.
I'm sure we could come up with something. I don't know how you could come up with a tie breaker for Iowa and OSU both going 8-0 in conference play in 2002 and not playing each other. You don't think either one of those teams should be able to claim a conference title?

I'm not sure referencing 2 four starts proves that much right now. Its not like the past guy didn't get any. It seems like we spend a lot of time excusing away what that guy did while avoiding the lack of justifiable results from MR right now. We just really need a couple of solid years of play on the field to go along with the better recruiting efforts.
This makes sense to me. There are a ton of examples of teams that get high recruiting rankings but it doesn't translate to the field. I would think Riley has earned living through another sub 8 winning season but it would put that much more pressure on 2018 where the schedule gets tough.

So many people taking stupid pills...

Team is more unified now than before.
Big name players are coming in to see what this is all about.
Coaching staff is being paid handsomely, more than ever before (assistants, that is).
Recruiting budget is more than ever before.

What are the negatives that drag this down into a worse job than 2 years ago?

Some blowout losses... no different than before.
6-7 in a transition year that really didn't need to happen, 8 or 9 wins was possible.

What else is there that drags this job down? Obviously we need to see wins on the field, but even if we don't, Riley is changing the apathetic culture around for the next coach. The psyche of the players will be much more intact than they were under Bo.

Just my opinion...

EDIT: I'm not saying we ignore the bad stuff like 6-7 and the blowout losses... What I am saying is the potential for success is far greater moving forward than it was two years ago... We may not reach that potential, but if we do, people will be changing their tune in a hurry about this question.

Last edited:
So many people taking stupid pills...

Team is more unified now than before.
Big name players are coming in to see what this is all about.
Coaching staff is being paid handsomely, more than ever before (assistants, that is).
Recruiting budget is more than ever before.

What are the negatives that drag this down into a worse job than 2 years ago?

Some blowout losses... no different than before.
6-7 in a transition year that really didn't need to happen, 8 or 9 wins was possible.

What else is there that drags this job down? Obviously we need to see wins on the field, but even if we don't, Riley is changing the apathetic culture around for the next coach. The psyche of the players will be much more intact than they were under Bo.

Just my opinion...
Curious about the player psyche thing. What examples do you have of it being better? To me......this is a weakness right now. Just doesn't seem like we have that killer attitude. I'm hoping it gets there.

Curious about the player psyche thing. What examples do you have of it being better? To me......this is a weakness right now. Just doesn't seem like we have that killer attitude. I'm hoping it gets there.
I know the jury is still out on that... I am comparing it to when Bo was here as well, and there sure seemed to be a lot of give up in the team when things snowballed...

We have seen that under Riley as well a bit, but my opinion is that it happened with Bo's players the first year, and when it exhibited itself again in Iowa and Tennessee last year, it led to a change in leadership by bringing in Diaco and Williams. I believe that what we have right now are players who are fully invested in the program, and it will show itself this year.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel about things right now. We haven't really had that killer attitude since Suh, Amukumara, Gomes, etc, so it can't be worse than it has been in recent past. I am banking on things getting better than staying the same or getting worse...

I'm sure we could come up with something. I don't know how you could come up with a tie breaker for Iowa and OSU both going 8-0 in conference play in 2002 and not playing each other. You don't think either one of those teams should be able to claim a conference title?

Who went to the Rose Bowl? That's where the Big Ten conference champ went. The other lost the tiebreaker. The league had ways to determine who went to the top bowl game in the event of a tie.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
If you think the fanbase is more fractured now than it was under Pelini his last few years, you're just silly.
That's somebody just projecting their own feelings. Nobody should trust NikkiSixx to give a reasonable analysis of anything dealing with Husker football. His anti-Riley and anti-Big Ten agenda has been clear for quite a long time. It's just non-stop whining and complaining because he doesn't get his way.

Who went to the Rose Bowl? That's where the Big Ten conference champ went. The other lost the tiebreaker. The league had ways to determine who went to the top bowl game in the event of a tie.
No Big Ten team played in the Rose Bowl that season. OSU played in the National title game and Iowa played in the Orange Bowl. The Big Ten didn't make those selections. It's a bowl selecting process. Same in 2009 when OSU went to the title game but the next highest team, Iowa, played in the Orange Bowl.

No Big Ten team played in the Rose Bowl that season. OSU played in the National title game and Iowa played in the Orange Bowl. The Big Ten didn't make those selections. It's a bowl selecting process. Same in 2009 when OSU went to the title game but the next highest team, Iowa, played in the Orange Bowl.

Keep your tie if you want.

I believe Oklahoma beat Washington State in the Rose Bowl that year, after we played Miami Fla the year before.

I think the job wasn't very good coming in after Pelini because of what a mess the roster had become in terms of scholarship allotment under Bo as well as having a lot of scholarships being used on guys that just weren't power 5 levers players. We had decent talent at some positions that allowed Bo to over come that and win games against lesser opponents but got us abused against teams that could expose it. This fact still shows up under Riley. Riley has inherited a very tough job in that he not only has to try to balance the scholarships on the roster but this also inhibits the ability to quickly upgrade talent at positions that are already over budgeted in scholarship numbers. Add in trying to change schemes on offense and it's a daunting job that isn't going to be a quick fix. And continually firing coaches is only going to hinder us and lower the perception of the Nebraska coaching job

ADVERTISEMENT