ADVERTISEMENT

Is Husker football coach job better or worse than a few years ago?

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_df82929c-6ceb-11e7-ab37-ff4f0b361b34.htmlI read this quote from an unnamed opposing coach on OWH.

“That job is a lot worse than it was a few years ago, and no one in the administration seems to recognize it,” said one anonymous coach to Athlon.

I honestly don't understand what that means. What has changed in last few years?

Can someone help me understand what this means?

And do you agree with it?

It's shot at Eichorst, I'm pretty sure. That and/or the whole thing about firing Bo after his 9 win streak, proving we have "unrealistic" expectations.

Another coach, or maybe the same one, said Diaco is just a cheerleader and doesn't really coach.

It's easy to talk shit when you're anonymous. Look at people on this board. Who really knows if they believe what they write, or in the case of the coach, says. But getting negative pub on Nebraska doesn't hurt if that's your agenda.

Here's the deal. First off, it's easy to say whatever you want to say when you don't put your name out there. Anyone can say anything. Heck a coach can say whatever they want about their own players and AD and school, etc.

Now, as for it being a worse job....I don't know. I don't think so. Obviously we have to see the talent play out on the field, but on paper we're bringing in more talented players. The next couple years could be a stepping stone to bigger things. We don't know yet. Also, it's being proven now that if you are willing to put in the effort and don't just sit back and go "well if this kid wants to play for Nebraska he'll come to us" then you can bring in very talented kids to Nebraska. So, I don't think it's a worse job. I think it's better now than it was.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Remember a few years ago when it was impossible to get high level recruits to Nebraska anymore? Well this coaching staff is providing big that theory wrong with Bookie and Lindsey. So I would say that it makes Nebraska look like a better destination than a few years ago.

Another coach, or maybe the same one, said Diaco is just a cheerleader and doesn't really coach.

It's easy to talk shit when you're anonymous. Look at people on this board. Who really knows if they believe what they write, or in the case of the coach, says. But getting negative pub on Nebraska doesn't hurt if that's your agenda.
Yep.

Remember a few years ago when it was impossible to get high level recruits to Nebraska anymore? Well this coaching staff is providing big that theory wrong with Bookie and Lindsey. So I would say that it makes Nebraska look like a better destination than a few years ago.
Eichorst and Riley have made this a better destination for a coach IMO. Better pay for assistants. Larger recruiting budget. Better recruiting tech assistance. The older Tom gets, the less a head coach has to worry about his meddling. Riley embraced TO, his former assistants, his former players and his culture (not his offense). IMO begrudgingly TO has come around to Riley. It has paid dividends. He's shown last year that NU will rise to the top 10 pretty quickly if they string together the wins.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_df82929c-6ceb-11e7-ab37-ff4f0b361b34.htmlI read this quote from an unnamed opposing coach on OWH.

“That job is a lot worse than it was a few years ago, and no one in the administration seems to recognize it,” said one anonymous coach to Athlon.

I honestly don't understand what that means. What has changed in last few years?

Location, location, location and the State of the NCAA Power 5 football would be reasons. Dr. Tom Osborne was a fine coach, but the landscape isn't the same today.

Heck, Notre Dame isn't the program it once was either, so Nebraska isn't alone.

1 Michigan 0.73027 935 334 36 1305
2 Notre Dame 0.72836 896 321 42 1259
3 Ohio State 0.72363 886 322 53 1261
4 Oklahoma 0.72111 872 321 53 1246
5 Alabama 0.72075 878 327 43 1248
6 Texas 0.70678 891 360 33 1284
7 Southern Cal 0.70016 823 337 54 1214
8 Nebraska 0.69869 889 372 40 1301
9 Penn State 0.68624 867 385 42 1294
10 Florida State 0.68159 532 244 17 793

Location, location, location and the State of the NCAA Power 5 football would be reasons. Dr. Tom Osborne was a fine coach, but the landscape isn't the same today.

Heck, Notre Dame isn't the program it once was either, so Nebraska isn't alone.

1 Michigan 0.73027 935 334 36 1305
2 Notre Dame 0.72836 896 321 42 1259
3 Ohio State 0.72363 886 322 53 1261
4 Oklahoma 0.72111 872 321 53 1246
5 Alabama 0.72075 878 327 43 1248
6 Texas 0.70678 891 360 33 1284
7 Southern Cal 0.70016 823 337 54 1214
8 Nebraska 0.69869 889 372 40 1301
9 Penn State 0.68624 867 385 42 1294
10 Florida State 0.68159 532 244 17 793

Notre Dame seems to kill it in recruiting despite never having the power to rise again. Hmmm.
Location matters, indeed. But it's not all about location. If it were, teams like USC, Texas, Miami, Michigan, Alabama (and it keeps going) would never fall off the top. They'd never field a bad team, according to that approach. And yet.....

Thanks for the insight. I genuinely still don't even understand the premise of "that job is a lot worse than it was a few years ago" - I just don't get the logic. I imagine the unnamed coach had some agenda, but I think there would be better ways to address it. Maybe just saying "the team isn't nearly as good as it was a few years ago" would be better.

Reactions: DukeOfSorrow
Personally, for a highly sought after coach we might have to overpay from what the market bears - you can recruit to Nebraska but it is more difficult and takes more work than some other high profile jobs

We didn't break the bank with the Riley hire (I believe < 3 million). I don't know how much or little we may have offered to other head coaches that were considered. I feel that our approach continues to be to pay a fair salary and when you earn it we will pay an elite salary. As opposed to paying an elite salary from the get go with the expectation that you earn it. We have not been stingy, however, with assistant salaries.

Thanks for the insight. I genuinely still don't even understand the premise of "that job is a lot worse than it was a few years ago" - I just don't get the logic. I imagine the unnamed coach had some agenda, but I think there would be better ways to address it. Maybe just saying "the team isn't nearly as good as it was a few years ago" would be better.
Yeah, I see what you are saying. The way it was worded makes it pretty clear that the unnamed coach has a clear distaste for the school and/or the athletic department. Probably an Iowa staffer or something.

Personally, for a highly sought after coach we might have to overpay from what the market bears - you can recruit to Nebraska but it is more difficult and takes more work than some other high profile jobs

We didn't break the bank with the Riley hire (I believe < 3 million). I don't know how much or little we may have offered to other head coaches that were considered. I feel that our approach continues to be to pay a fair salary and when you earn it we will pay an elite salary. As opposed to paying an elite salary from the get go with the expectation that you earn it. We have not been stingy, however, with assistant salaries.
What we may or may not have offered coaches aside, I think what we are doing with pay right now is fair. Riley's market primetime was years ago, and he needs to do more than he has done before he was hired. I like it because it tips the hat to it being a calculated risk.
For the assistants: They didn't break the bank with any of the old staff either, I think with that same kind of outlook. But, when we shot for a known commodity, guys that have proven worth on the national level like Diaco and Dubs, we open the wallet. TBH, this is how it should be.

What we may or may not have offered coaches aside, I think what we are doing with pay right now is fair. Riley's market primetime was years ago, and he needs to do more than he has done before he was hired. I like it because it tips the hat to it being a calculated risk.
For the assistants: They didn't break the bank with any of the old staff either, I think with that same kind of outlook. But, when we shot for a known commodity, guys that have proven worth on the national level like Diaco and Dubs, we open the wallet. TBH, this is how it should be.

agreed .. what I would love to find out is if we have a young head coach who wins the conference, has a top 10 finish, etc and an LSU, Florida or Texas comes calling would we match/exceed those offers to keep him

Reactions: DukeOfSorrow
agreed .. what I would love to find out is if we have a young head coach who wins the conference, has a top 10 finish, etc and an LSU, Florida or Texas comes calling would we match/exceed those offers to keep him
That will always be a concern. Heck, top programs try to do that to other top programs if they are positioned right (like being the coach's Alma). I remember back in the 2011ish timeframe, when it looked like we might break out, I was concerned that if we finally did, it was only a matter of time for Bo to go. You KNOW Callahan thought we'd be a stepping stone as well.

It's tough enough to bring in a top end coach, but even harder to keep him. That gets increased more when it comes to Nebraska vs. other blue-chip schools as well.

I would think the job was easier when competing in the Big Eight. While the conference occasionally had several top teams, many years the only likely losses were the last game vs OU, plus the Florida bowl game. The rest of the schedule was often a joke. Of course easier doesn't equate to better.

I would think the job was easier when competing in the Big Eight. While the conference occasionally had several top teams, many years the only likely losses were the last game vs OU, plus the Florida bowl game. The rest of the schedule was often a joke.
I agree, but you could make that argument with many conferences back in the day. BIG ten had Michigan and Ohio state. Mich State from time to time, but that was it.

PAC 10 was USC, Washington sometimes... maybe UCLA, but not consistently. Things rent like they used to be, for sure.

I don't know where the opposing coach was coming from, his perspective.

I wouldn't hesitate to say that just about every single P5 HC position is worse than what it was a few years ago. There can be only one national champion. There are only 4 playoff teams. Les Miles just got fired on the higher end of the spectrum, Mark Richt in the middle, and Daryl Hazel on the lower end.

TO and Devaney both went out when they were on top. Bobby Bowden and Mack Brown on the other hand were forced out after 4 or 5 non elite seasons. I would be hard pressed to come up with another Frank Beamer in the making in terms of longevity. Maybe Ferentz, but even Ferentz had a lot of discussion floating around concerning his position just a few years ago.

Here's the deal....

We're picked to finish 3rd in the West division.
*That is not progress

However, it's preseason and it doesn't mean crap!

Whether you're a Bo hater or wish he and staff was still here...it doesn't matter anymore. This is a critical season and progress is necessary. If not, time to start cleaning house....AGAIN! However, you start with the AD this time. The media that loves Riley and staff it's all "Fake News". Results are judged on the field. Unfortunately, every time we have to repeat this cycle, it damages the history/tradition we have and diminishes the prestige of our coaching position and our team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackshirt30
It's a high pressure position, for sure. If that pressure is not for you then obviously you are not Top 20 head coaching material. I would suck at that job. I'm amazed at how relaxed Riley looks doing his job.

Here's the deal....

*That is not progress

Whether you're a Bo hater or wish he and staff was still here...it doesn't matter anymore. This is a critical season and progress is necessary. If not, time to start cleaning house....AGAIN! However, you start with the AD this time. The media that loves Riley and staff it's all "Fake News". Results are judged on the field. Unfortunately, every time we have to repeat this cycle, it damages the history/tradition we have and diminishes the prestige of our coaching position and our team.
Thank you! You 100% right that results are judged on the field. I get people being excited about the higher ranked recruiting class Riley seems to be bringing in. I'm personally pumped about the Diaco hire. But we do need to start winning the West and beating Wisconsin.....like very soon. Callahan proved you could recruit at a high level at Nebraska too, but overall, he failed. At least Riley has shown a sense of urgency by replacing staff members that needed to be replaced no matter long how he was personally friends with them. But it's time to compete for the West from here on out. Anything less is a disappointment.

I agree, but you could make that argument with many conferences back in the day. BIG ten had Michigan and Ohio state. Mich State from time to time, but that was it.
Where did you get this?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Eight_Conference_football

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_Ten_Conference_football_champions

The Big 8 was Nebraska and Oklahoma. That was IT. MSU is #7 in conference championships. I think it's safe to say that the Big Ten conference was a lot tougher to win than the Big 8.

To the point of the OP, I think the Nebraska job has fallen off a lot. You guys had to settle for Mike Reilly. I know I had to look up who that was when it was announced.

Before you guys flip out, it's still a more prestigious job than Iowa.

Where did you get this?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Eight_Conference_football

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_Ten_Conference_football_champions

The Big 8 was Nebraska and Oklahoma. That was IT. MSU is #7 in conference championships. I think it's safe to say that the Big Ten conference was a lot tougher to win than the Big 8.

To the point of the OP, I think the Nebraska job has fallen off a lot. You guys had to settle for Mike Reilly. I know I had to look up who that was when it was announced.

Before you guys flip out, it's still a more prestigious job than Iowa.
I got it from memory... obviously didn't do any research. My apologies. In recent years, Michigan State has been tough. Prior to Dantonio, how long had it been since Michigan State won a conference championship? I am talking before Penn State joined...

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I got it from memory... obviously didn't do any research. My apologies. In recent years, Michigan State has been tough. Prior to Dantonio, how long had it been since Michigan State won a conference championship? I am talking before Penn State joined...
Looks like they won 3 titles on 12 years before Penn State. Iowa also won 3 in that time frame. Illinois also won 2. (Some were co-championships).

Reactions: timnsun
Here's the deal....

*That is not progress

If results are judged on the field what difference does it make if we are picked to finish 3rd in the west by the media and whether or not that's progress? isnt that fake news too?

Looks like they won 3 titles on 12 years before Penn State. Iowa also won 3 in that time frame. Illinois also won 2. (Some were co-championships).
Yes without question, the Big Ten was more well rounded in terms of overall championships... It was still Michigan and Ohio State that won the overwhelming majority, but 4 other schools won (or shared) 10 or more as well. In the Big 8, Missouri was the only other school with more than 10. A little research goes a long way.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
In the 18 years between the time Penn St joined in 1993 and Nebraska joined in 2011there were "co champs" 9 times. Does the team that doesn't go to the Rose Bowl really get to count that as a conference title? Boooooooo.

I think the problem is that you guys are expecting the next Tom Osborne. You need a real legit hire, I say get someone like Les Miles, or Tom Herman, someone who has a brand name of his own in terms of coaching. I don't think Riley was good for you, because he's too timid of a person for the environment you guys have. You need a bit of nasty in your coach, and I don't mean Pelini style. I mean someone who wants to take on the challenge of dealing with the environment he's going to be in. The B1G is a tough conference, with lots of money and lots of smarts behind the business that is football. You need someone who understands that.

The coach saying that would probably piss himself if he ever had the opportunity to coach at Nebraska

Reactions: timnsun
I would think the job was easier when competing in the Big Eight. While the conference occasionally had several top teams, many years the only likely losses were the last game vs OU, plus the Florida bowl game. The rest of the schedule was often a joke. Of course easier doesn't equate to better.
This is nothing more than revisionist history. You underestimate how good Nebraska and OU were, in turn underestimate the old Big 8.
This notion that we played easy schedules back then is simply false.

This job is so much better than it was a few years ago it's not even close. More money, better pay for assistants a big-time recruiting department. To go with the tradition, facilities and fan support we already had going for us.

I think it is a much worse job. You had a lot of infighting, backbiting, and it also still shows in the fan base. An ex coach and many players said there were big problems with the administration. Some of that may be fixed now, I am unsure. Firing 9 win coaches again doesn't help, and being the glass heart fans and players when ESPN's Gameday makes a joke at your expense and the way in which people handled that last year wasn't cool either. Then you have the wins and losses, for 15 years. Even the fan base concedes that we are not what we used to be. So there is no one thing to blame for it. You have a program without a proven identity. Maybe that changes in the future under coach Riley, maybe not. I think everyone respects Nebraska's past old history, just not the recent history. Moving to a new conference erased a lot of history and tradition as well. Increased money or not, I feel that was move was a huge nail in the coffin for the program as well. Everything has to be rebuilt again. Possibly including the fan base at some point, because it still remains fractured.

I think it is a much worse job. You had a lot of infighting, backbiting, and it also still shows in the fan base. An ex coach and many players said there were big problems with the administration. Some of that may be fixed now, I am unsure. Firing 9 win coaches again doesn't help, and being the glass heart fans and players when ESPN's Gameday makes a joke at your expense and the way in which people handled that last year wasn't cool either. Then you have the wins and losses, for 15 years. Even the fan base concedes that we are not what we used to be. So there is no one thing to blame for it. You have a program without a proven identity. Maybe that changes in the future under coach Riley, maybe not. I think everyone respects Nebraska's past old history, just not the recent history. Moving to a new conference erased a lot of history and tradition as well. Increased money or not, I feel that was move was a huge nail in the coffin for the program as well. Everything has to be rebuilt again. Possibly including the fan base at some point, because it still remains fractured.
My head hurts...

When they asked the coach what school he coaches at...he sheepishly responded "Um uh...well..a state school in Ohio.."

Reactions: bigboxes

So you can't win at Nebraska now but you could last year or the year before?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT