ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Minnesota

"The Big 10 West never disappoints." That was a real comment by the color commentator during this game. Disappointment is all the Big 10 West is so I don't understand that comment lmao.

Reactions: Crisker
Iowa got blue balls and kick to the nuts at the same time
Nice

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’m surprised the invalid fair catch signal call was reviewable. If the flag had been thrown as DeJean took off running, I think the call is defensible. But from the replay booth?

Reactions: SomedayHusker
I thought it had to be above the helmet to be considered a fair catch signal.

I also didn’t know that was reviewable. But I did enjoy the meltdown.
That’s the rule for a valid fair catch signal, which is intended to protect the coverage team. Returners are not allowed to wave their arms in any way that could be mistaken for a fair catch signal.

That’s the rule for a valid fair catch signal, which is intended to protect the coverage team. Returners are not allowed to wave their arms in any way that could be mistaken for a fair catch signal.
So you can’t wave your players away from a bad punt? Every returner does that. That’s why I’m totally confused that it’s a rule. And a reviewable one at that.

Left hand clearly above helmet bro and/or get away signal being showed .. but I’m shocked they called it
Wait, what? I don’t think it ever went above his shoulders. How was it clearly above his head? He is waving his arms for his players to get away from the ball like every punt returner ever. Just odd if that is in fact a rule.

Reactions: jkeb
So you can’t wave your players away from a bad punt? Every returner does that. That’s why I’m totally confused that it’s a rule. And a reviewable one at that.
Can’t blame the refs for the fans throwing garbage on the field, but the refs should have blown it dead before it even had a chance to happen.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I dont know. And a really good question. What do the fans of your team have to say about it over on the Iowa board?

• Haha
Reactions: Streamer15
The return man is not allowed to wave his arms, then proceed to pick up the ball and run with it. I have seen similar plays blown dead for that reason. I must confess, however, I have never seen it called after the fact. That’s the part of the play that I found surprising.

Wait, what? I don’t think it ever went above his shoulders. How was it clearly above his head? He is waving his arms for his players to get away from the ball like every punt returner ever. Just odd if that is in fact a rule.
When “every punt returner ever” waves his teammates away from the ball, he can no longer return it. He can field the ball, but the play is dead at that point.

Correct call, but enforced in a very odd way that I have not seen before.

When “every punt returner ever” waves his teammates away from the ball, he can no longer return it. He can field the ball, but the play is dead at that point.

Correct call, but enforced in a very odd way that I have not seen before.
I’ve seen actual fair catch waves blown dead, but not waving your arms below your shoulders. Not that I remember anyways. Figured I’d ask here since it’s obviously unanimous on Iowa boards.

Here's the relevant rule. You can see that the Invalid Signal rule refers to "any waving signal" with no need to be above the head or shoulder.

Valid Signal
ARTICLE 2.
A valid signal is a signal given by a player of Team B who has obviously signaled his intention by extending one hand only clearly above his head and waving that hand from side to side of his body more than once.
Invalid Signal
ARTICLE 3.
An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:
  1. That does not meet the requirements of Article 2 (above); or
  2. That is given after a scrimmage kick is caught beyond the neutral zone, strikes the ground or touches another player beyond the neutral zone (A.R. 6-5-3-III-V); or
  3. That is given after a free kick is caught, strikes the ground or touches another player. [Exception: Rule 6-4-1-f]
Fair catch signals are also explicitly reviewable per Rule 12, article 4g (page 115 here):
Kicks
ARTICLE 4. Reviewable plays involving kicks include:
a. Touching of a kick.
b. Player beyond the neutral zone when kicking the ball.
c. Kicking team player advancing a ball after a potential muffed kick/fumble by the receiving team.
d. Scrimmage kick crossing the neutral zone.
e. Blocking by players of the kicking team before they are eligible to touch the ball on an on-side kick.
f. A player touching or recovering a kick or loose ball who is or has been out of bounds during the kick.
g. Receiving team advancing after a fair catch signal

The NFL rule does include the above the shoulder part, which might explain some of the confusion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT