ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa looked good again today

Oddly enough I think our defense can hold their offense in check but I just don’t see us scoring more than 20-24 points against them.

And that won’t be enough to win.

Iowa is not an offense that scores a lot of points. With the poor conditions expected I expect a close low scoring game. Predicting we win in overtime

Iowa's offense presents the best possible matchup for Nebraska's defense.

1. They can't run the ball.
2. Pass pro sucks.
3. Their receivers are marginal.

Iowa will give Nebraska fits on special teams, and should really cause issues with protection. I imagine the Hawks will generate at least 14 points due to turnover because of the disruption caused by their defensive front and special teams.

• Iowa isn't a good rushing team, though they have RBs, but run blocking has been issue over last couple years
  • Iowa has had explosive passing plays the past four games from WRs
  • Top WR Brandon Smith has been injured, but may return for Black Friday
  • QB Nathan Stanley is #2 behind Minnesota's Tanner Morgan in Big Ten passing
  • Michigan exploited Iowa's pass protection, against an OL that had 7 different starting lineups, until lately (Wisconsin/Minnesota games)
  • Special teams has been efficient
Iowa has a 7 out of 10 chance per ESPN FPI

Iowa is supposed to win this game, there shouldn’t be any reason they lose Friday. The Huskers are 5-6 and not very good. Down fall for Iowa, the Huskers have found a grove and have shown progress the past couple games going into the Iowa game, Iowa isn’t going to the BIG 10 (like I said they wouldn’t all season long) and the Huskers are going to be playing their asses off to make a bowl game. For one team, this game means nothing outside beating a Rival, the other team has a bowl game on the line, beating a Rival that’s been trashing talking them for over a year now, calling them garbage, no good and everything you can think. everything is on the line for the Huskers this Friday. It’s either win and go bowling or lose and season is done....this could spell bad for Iowa....

The Huskers have put 1045 yards the past two games (Maryland and Wisconsin, one team has a top 4 in the country defense). Plus side, the games in Lincoln...this very well could end up bad for Iowa. The Huskers could come in and knock Iowa off and then what...? All the smack talk, all the trash talking Iowa fans have been doing and especially now that the game is finally here. For the Iowa fans that live on our board, you better hope and pray Iowa wins. Because if not, all the trash talking and bs coming out of your guys mouth is about to blow up and back fire on you guys...oh and I know, you guys will disappear and not come back for months. I’m curious how many will actually man the F_ck up and eat crow? My guess, we won’t see any Iowa fans for at least several weeks if the Huskers win...which very well could happen with the grove Frost and the Huskers have gotten into as of late.

Remember, Huskers put up almost 500 yards on Wisconsin...again that’s on the Badgers, A top 4 (at the time the TOP ranked) defense in the country...which is better then Iowa’s defense. If they can move the ball on the Badgers, they can and will move the ball on Iowa. Only issue the Huskers have to watch out for is getting into the end zone....GBR

If I was an Iowa Suckeye fan, I’d stay off the Husker board till the games over with. I wouldn’t say a word and I definitely wouldn’t be trash talking on my rivals board...that could back fire bad.

Iowa 17 Huskers 21

Some fans here understand Iowa, but many don't. Ferentz coached teams are sound, fundamentally, and seldom beat themselves.

Everyone will be surprised if Nebraska scores more than 21 points. And the fact that they've beaten Minnesota... who crushed Nebraska, doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy if I'm a Husker fan.

In Iowa's games where they struggled they either got off the bad starts or worse, turnovers.

In first loss at Michigan, the Hawkeye fumbled the first play of the game and fell down by a field goal.

The Hawkeyes had another turnover, 4 total, lost 10-3, but held Wolverines to no points after falling behind. Michigan's defense amped up on the Iowa offense.

Iowa's offense is going at C, RB, WR and TE with four key players being freshman. They have other more seasoned players at RB, WR and TE, but the freshman have made some explosive plays.

The Wisconsin and Minnesota games gave Iowa some momentum to build on.

Illinois was a streaky team. Iowa clearly avoided in fueling their streaky nature.

This will be an interesting Heroes game. Iowa had played well against Iowa State and Minnesota. Pulled out wins over Northwestern, Illinois and Purdue. Nebraska took care of Northwestern and Illinois, as well.

A close game often favors the underdog, but Iowa did take care of Iowa State and Minnesota as favorites.

• Iowa isn't a good rushing team, though they have RBs, but run blocking has been issue over last couple years
  • Iowa has had explosive passing plays the past four games from WRs
  • Top WR Brandon Smith has been injured, but may return for Black Friday
  • QB Nathan Stanley is #2 behind Minnesota's Tanner Morgan in Big Ten passing
  • Michigan exploited Iowa's pass protection, against an OL that had 7 different starting lineups, until lately (Wisconsin/Minnesota games)
  • Special teams has been efficient
Iowa has a 7 out of 10 chance per ESPN FPI

Iowa's RB's are marginal. If you were to rank the starting running backs in the Big Ten West, it would look like this:

1. Wisconsin
2. Minnesota
3. Nebraska
4. Illinois
5. Iowa
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern

Iowa's receivers have 12 plays over 20 yards in the last 4 games. Stanley deserves a LOT more credit than those marginal receivers.

In Big Ten games only, which is all that matters, Stanley is 3rd in passing but only completing 57% despite throwing more passes than any other Big Ten QB. He's also 9th in Passing Efficiency, ranked below Adrian Martinez.

Making excuses for the Iowa O-line is comical considering they have 2 high round draft picks starting at Tackle.

Yes, Iowa's special teams are terrific and present the biggest advantage over Nebraska in that facet of the game.

Reactions: steelclaw
@Cornicator

Not sure I would approach it that way. The real issue with Iowa has been OL run blocking during past 3-4 years, at times, trending even more inconsistent past two seasons.

Iowa decided to redshirt Ivory Kelly-Martin. He was injured in 2018. Will be a junior in 2020. Really thought he would emerge ahead of Mekhi Sargent and Toren Young.

Sargent can block, catch out of back field, but his vision isn't ideal for Big Ten. Ran for over 100 yards last year in a couple games.

Toren Young is a good change of pace back for Iowa. Great leadership, as a junior on Iowa's Leadership Group. Looked good in brief work at Wisconsin.

He has been compared to a former Husker RB, who ran well against Iowa during his career, Ameer Abdullah.

Goodson blocking has given him an opportunity to become a starter as a true freshman out of the State of Georgia. Unlike former Iowa commit Karon Hidgon, Goodson didn't flip to Jim Harbaugh.

The key to Iowa offense is efficiency, which hasn't been great inside redzone scoring TDs. Too many FGs this year (Big Ten record), so Iowa is getting there.

Like QB Ricky Stanzi for Iowa (2008-10), QB Nate Stanley has had some big games, but couldn't get the biggest win (trip to Indy in new Big Ten, since 2011).

I expect a good Thanksgiving, as Creighton, Iowa and Nebraska all have some entertaining games this week. Iowa had a good QB in Nate Stanley, but not one that could get them over the hump.
  • 8 wins as a first year starter, with B1G win over Ohio State and at Iowa State
  • 9 wins in second year, with B1G win at Indiana and vs. a solid Mississippi State defense in a 27-22 bowl win
  • 8 wins working on 9 or even 10 as a senior, third year starter, who needs to occasionally use his feet, as he did at Iowa State and in B1G win over Minnesota

Iowa is supposed to win this game, there shouldn’t be any reason they lose Friday. The Huskers are 5-6 and not very good. Down fall for Iowa, the Huskers have found a grove and have shown progress the past couple games going into the Iowa game, Iowa isn’t going to the BIG 10 (like I said they wouldn’t all season long) and the Huskers are going to be playing their asses off to make a bowl game. For one team, this game means nothing outside beating a Rival, the other team has a bowl game on the line, beating a Rival that’s been trashing talking them for over a year now, calling them garbage, no good and everything you can think. everything is on the line for the Huskers this Friday. It’s either win and go bowling or lose and season is done....this could spell bad for Iowa....

The Huskers have put 1045 yards the past two games (Maryland and Wisconsin, one team has a top 4 in the country defense). Plus side, the games in Lincoln...this very well could end up bad for Iowa. The Huskers could come in and knock Iowa off and then what...? All the smack talk, all the trash talking Iowa fans have been doing and especially now that the game is finally here. For the Iowa fans that live on our board, you better hope and pray Iowa wins. Because if not, all the trash talking and bs coming out of your guys mouth is about to blow up and back fire on you guys...oh and I know, you guys will disappear and not come back for months. I’m curious how many will actually man the F_ck up and eat crow? My guess, we won’t see any Iowa fans for at least several weeks if the Huskers win...which very well could happen with the grove Frost and the Huskers have gotten into as of late.

Remember, Huskers put up almost 500 yards on Wisconsin...again that’s on the Badgers, A top 4 (at the time the TOP ranked) defense in the country...which is better then Iowa’s defense. If they can move the ball on the Badgers, they can and will move the ball on Iowa. Only issue the Huskers have to watch out for is getting into the end zone....GBR

If I was an Iowa Suckeye fan, I’d stay off the Husker board till the games over with. I wouldn’t say a word and I definitely wouldn’t be trash talking on my rivals board...that could back fire bad.

Iowa 17 Huskers 21
I’ll be here either way. This is why I don’t talk trash, things will eventually come full circle. Hopefully not this year.

Iowa's RB's are marginal. If you were to rank the starting running backs in the Big Ten West, it would look like this:

1. Wisconsin
2. Minnesota
3. Nebraska
4. Illinois
5. Iowa
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern

Iowa's receivers have 12 plays over 20 yards in the last 4 games. Stanley deserves a LOT more credit than those marginal receivers.

In Big Ten games only, which is all that matters, Stanley is 3rd in passing but only completing 57% despite throwing more passes than any other Big Ten QB. He's also 9th in Passing Efficiency, ranked below Adrian Martinez.

Making excuses for the Iowa O-line is comical considering they have 2 high round draft picks starting at Tackle.

Yes, Iowa's special teams are terrific and present the biggest advantage over Nebraska in that facet of the game.
I can’t figure you out- is Frost sub par for as you always rank or comment how great N personnel groups are ahead of games? But the you also seem to think CFrost is a coaching savant. I truly can’t figure you out

Iowa's offense presents the best possible matchup for Nebraska's defense.

1. They can't run the ball.
2. Pass pro sucks.
3. Their receivers are marginal.

Iowa will give Nebraska fits on special teams, and should really cause issues with protection. I imagine the Hawks will generate at least 14 points due to turnover because of the disruption caused by their defensive front and special teams.

Iowa has a young converted RB at WR, as well.

You're using the transitive property? Nebraska put up 700 yards and 45 points on Illinois.
Iowa only scored 30 points vs. Rutgers. Maryland beat Rutgers 48-7. So Maryland must be better than Iowa.

None of those outcomes have any relevance when Iowa visits Nebraska.
You chose to use the two worst teams in the conference as a comparison.

You can do better. Try again.

I was at the hawkeye game Saturday and it was your classic just let the offense do enough to win kinda game. The defense clearly wasn't giving up much, minus the TD pass on a broken coverage.

However Illinois QB gashed Iowa repeatedly by runs right down the middle. Something I know Martinez we surely do as well.

Iowa always wants to make you earn your points, you have to willing to take what they give and work a long 9-10 play drive. SO many teams cannot do that and throw a pick getting greedy and that falls right into the hawkeyes trap.

Keys to beating the hawks:

1. few turnovers (Duh)
2. quick passing to avoid AJE
3. run blitz to shut down RB's and hurry Stanley

I predict a NU victory because I think they have too much offense to completely shut down right now

1. Wisconsin
2. Minnesota
3. Nebraska
4. Illinois
5. Iowa
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern

Pay not much mind to cidsports. There are many discussions on the Iowa board about the philosophy and scheme for the running game due to what you pointed out in having 2 excellent tackles (and they are very good). The Iowa running game, as it is currently schemed and called, has been figured out by any Big 10 team with a pulse. Period. Iowa's receivers are okay, which is a vast improvement over what they have been the past few years. Going from league-worst to middle of the pack in the league is progress, since they all return next year and 2 of them are freshmen.

Friday's game should be interesting and competitive. Neither team cares much for the other, and each team has strengths/weaknesses that will be fascinating to see how it plays out. The Iowa defense -- outside of Epenesa -- has exactly zero players that will strike fear into an opponent. They are the epitome of what sound scheme, discipline, above average athleticism and playing together can do for a defense. But Nebraska does things on offense that can give Iowa fits (and did last year). Given the weather, I would guess special teams or turnover(s) will decide the game.

Iowa 17 Huskers 21
Obviously if the Huskers lose then it is back to normal then? Talks that they should have lost and are still rebuilding? Maybe some more talks about how they need to get "Riley's" guys out then they are really going to be good. Don't say all this BS to revert back to the same old talks. Iowa should win, period. If the huskers win it is their best win under Frost, period. Other than that stfu and enjoy the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT