ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa looked good again today

HuskredO1

Nov 20, 2019
Oddly enough I think our defense can hold their offense in check but I just don’t see us scoring more than 20-24 points against them.

And that won’t be enough to win.

Iowa has only run for 200 yards twice this season - Miami OH and Middle Tennessee. The last three years vs Nebraska they have gone for 260+. Can NU slow down their run game? The Iowa defense is tough as nails. Can NU win a game scoring less than 24?

Iowa has only run for 200 yards twice this season - Miami OH and Middle Tennessee. The last three years vs Nebraska they have gone for 260+. Can NU slow down their run game? The Iowa defense is tough as nails. Can NU win a game scoring less than 24?
Frost said his D needs to hold teams to 31 or less . I think Nebraska can hold Iowa to less than that...going to be half of that to win imo

Really think Iowa's defense is that much better than Wiscy's? Today the squad showed they can score. Even though it was only Maryland this offensive performance on the heals of what was a good performance against Wiscy says this offense should be able to move the ball against Iowa! Just my 2 cents worth!

Oddly enough I think our defense can hold their offense in check but I just don’t see us scoring more than 20-24 points against them.

I disagree. I thought Iowa looked very average at best today and exposed the fact that we should be able to do what Illinois was doing. Illinois was foolish and should have been ahead in that game through 3. I didn't watch the fourth quarter and don't even know who won.

If that was the true Iowa through 3, I like our chances

Really think Iowa's defense is that much better than Wiscy's? Today the squad showed they can score. Even though it was only Maryland this offensive performance on the heals of what was a good performance against Wiscy says this offense should be able to move the ball against Iowa! Just my 2 cents worth!
I do. It’s different. Wisconsin is uber aggressive, and good plays, schemes can gash them a bit...especially when their seasoned NG is out and the middle doesn’t get clogged up. Iowa makes opponents inch down the field. Illinois did show a template...their most effective play was QB exploiting open rush lanes. That should bode well for AM. Illinois QB Scrambled for over 50 yds today, got a bit more on read options. Their D is legit- bends some, but hard to score on

I disagree. I thought Iowa looked very average at best today and exposed the fact that we should be able to do what Illinois was doing. Illinois was foolish and should have been ahead in that game through 3. I didn't watch the fourth quarter and don't even know who won.

If that was the true Iowa through 3, I like our chances
I’m not sure I agree with that- Iowa uncharacteristically missed 2 Chippy FGs. They as usual bogged down in the red zone but had 5 scoring drives, 2 missed fG, a red zone int, and punted only twice on the day. Anxious moments, but in control all day

Last edited:
The Iowa game will be a tough one... Iowa seems to always get up for this game... they have truly enjoyed hitting us while we’ve been down... I hope that the offense can keep churning like it has, and if that d plays like it did today then I like our chances... I loved watching these kids play and have fun today, I will say that there were still issues I seen and we caught a few breaks that won’t be there vs Iowa... is JDs first TD vs Iowa that will be a turn over, and then there was the obvious Int 2AM tossed in the end zone tossing the rock across his body.... don’t try to roast me saying not happy we won... because again I am absolutely thrilled we got the W and here’s to hoping we can get one more because we need those bowl practices

Reactions: Digger6185
two Things if we play close to error free, especially a turnover when it’s a close game. If that happens good chance we’ll lose. And which Adrian shows up. If we get the Purdue Adrian it will be ugly if we get the Wisconsin Adrian then I’d say nu by 6

I just hope NU gets Wandale back and the momentum keeps going. I at least feel like this game can be competitive and I wasn't real sure of that 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Reactions: headcard
Iowa plays a conservative, defensive game. Tight D to not give up the big play. Conservative offense based on running and safe passes. NEB may very well put up 400 or 500 yards. That isn't really the problem with our offense.

More important is how we do in the red zone. We can't afford piles of FGs, picks or other turnovers down there. We haven't done well down there all year. We weren't all that great today either.

Like any other B1G game, we have to stop the run and defend 3rd downs. Two things we screw up against most teams with a pulse. We make many RBs and QBs look like superstars against us.

We have a chance if we don't make a ton of mistakes and the players play like their season depends on a win, which it does.

Reactions: HuskredO1 and c3o
I do think Iowa defense is better than Wisconsin. Iowa tackles better for sure. Much better safety play. And Wisconsin has nobody like 94 on Iowa.

Reactions: HuskredO1
I do think Iowa defense is better than Wisconsin. Iowa tackles better for sure. Much better safety play. And Wisconsin has nobody like 94 on Iowa.

Agree. Wisconsin D is a byproduct of their offense. The Wisconsin O holds the ball and limits your possessions and takes your patience away.Their D is more high risk, high reward. Iowa makes you show patience and drive the ball on them by limiting big chunk plays. NU had only 15 carries by RBs last year. Martinez had 17 alone. Not sure he’s capable of that many carries this year.

I think Iowa’s offense will keep Nebraska in this one. I’m pretty concerned about it to be honest. What is everyone’s guess for opening lines? I’m guessing Iowa -5.5.
Probably correct.

I think there will be no problem having Nebraska fires up, since there’s definitely something to play for.

Nebraska has only held p5 teams under 30 points 3 times under Frost. That concerns me, as I’m not seeing Nebraska score 30, so they’ll have to keep it under 30.

Today NU left about 15 pts on the field-one INT when the should have run the damn ball and two FGs instead of TDS in the red zone. They’ll have to maximize their red zone chances against Iowa.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Iowa looked good today? They did? Ha...

Ummm okay...

That is the Iowa style of play so yes they did look good. They are 8-3 and we are 5-6 so style points don’t mean squat. Iowa will make you play their game and it will be interesting if NU can win a slugfest with them as it’s our polar opposite.

That is the Iowa style of play so yes they did look good. They are 8-3 and we are 5-6 so style points don’t mean squat. Iowa will make you play their game and it will be interesting if NU can win a slugfest with them as it’s our polar opposite.

They did not look good. The idea that "their style" is to play close games against teams that are 16 point dogs is insane.

They had 16 first downs and under 80 yards rushing...that is their style? Under 80 yards rushing? Come on.

Last year wasn’t a slugfest, at least in the way you say Iowa plays.

I think Nebraska has a shot, but HAVE to break the trend of giving up 30 points to p5 teams to have a shot imo.

Reactions: headcard
Listened on the radio. Seemed Lovie’s Boys were gashing Iowa but shot themselves in the foot on several occasions. This was a winnable game for Ill in Iowa City and will be for NU Friday.

Listened on the radio. Seemed Lovie’s Boys were gashing Iowa but shot themselves in the foot on several occasions. This was a winnable game for Ill in Iowa City and will be for NU Friday.
Yeah, 3 TO's for the Illini...which you have to give credit to Iowa for forcing but still...

Lol at these Iowa tools.....Wisconsin’s defensive front is at least as good as iowas, Wisconsin’s LBs are way better and Wisconsin is better at DB. That said Iowa always gets up to play a blueblood and the fact that it’s big bro Nebraska means even more, especially to their loser fans.

I think Iowa’s offense will keep Nebraska in this one. I’m pretty concerned about it to be honest. What is everyone’s guess for opening lines? I’m guessing Iowa -5.5.

This seems reasonable. IMO, for us anyway, this game boils down to one thing. Adrian Martinez. The past two weeks have convinced me that how AM goes is how Nebraska goes. If he plays on Friday with the confidence he has the past two weeks then I like our chances to beat Iowa at home. If he plays like he did against Purdue and Indiana, then Iowa wins easily. I think AM has found himself and I expect him to show up with his A game, which gives me a great deal of confidence. I think NU has gained confidence the last two weeks and if that same confidence shows up on Friday then I’ll give the nod to the Huskers, and that’s saying a lot because I had this on chalked up to a guaranteed loss 3 weeks ago. But the Huskers seem to have figured a few things out so I’m feeling good about Friday.

Our LB’s will need to play well. Iowa love the outside stretch zone and out ILB don’t always red and fill well. They also love to matchup their TE’s and RB’s on LB’s in the passing game and out ILB don’t always cover well. If our ILB can step up and play well, it will go a long ways.

The only team to put up more than 20 on Iowa was Wisc (24). Their offense is nothing special. If our D can play like they played today. We have a legit shot. I put us on par with NW(20-0) Purdue (26-20), Illinois (19-10) and Iowa St (18-17). If our offense gets clicking like it was today, we are better than all of them. I don't see Iowa scoring more than 26. This could be a case whoever gets to 21 first wins.

This seems reasonable. IMO, for us anyway, this game boils down to one thing. Adrian Martinez. The past two weeks have convinced me that how AM goes is how Nebraska goes. If he plays on Friday with the confidence he has the past two weeks then I like our chances to beat Iowa at home. If he plays like he did against Purdue and Indiana, then Iowa wins easily. I think AM has found himself and I expect him to show up with his A game, which gives me a great deal of confidence. I think NU has gained confidence the last two weeks and if that same confidence shows up on Friday then I’ll give the nod to the Huskers, and that’s saying a lot because I had this on chalked up to a guaranteed loss 3 weeks ago. But the Huskers seem to have figured a few things out so I’m feeling good about Friday.
AM didn’t play against Indy. Was probably still injured against Perdue. But so were Luke and Noah.

Yeah, 3 TO's for the Illini...which you have to give credit to Iowa for forcing but still...

Iowa's offense is average to below average between the 20's, and is abysmal in the red zone. Fortunately we have a good kicker who just set the B1G record for field goals in a season. But our defense is very good. Iowa has held 8 of the 11 teams they've played to season lows and nobody has scored more than 24 on us. Wisconsin scored 24 and Johnathon Taylor gashed us, but he's done that to everybody. Outside of Purdue, no other team has reached 20 including Michigan, Minnesota, and Penn State. It's a bend don't break defense that has allowed yardage, but a very efficient scoring defense. By the same token, Iowa hasn't scored 30 or more on any P5 opponent this year. I look for a low scoring and close game on Black Friday.

Reactions: FreddyUI and EKHawk
Iowa's offense is average to below average between the 20's, and is abysmal in the red zone. Fortunately we have a good kicker who just set the B1G record for field goals in a season. But our defense is very good. Iowa has held 8 of the 11 teams they've played to season lows and nobody has scored more than 24 on us. Wisconsin scored 24 and Johnathon Taylor gashed us, but he's done that to everybody. Outside of Purdue, no other team has reached 20 including Michigan, Minnesota, and Penn State. It's a bend don't break defense that has allowed yardage, but a very efficient scoring defense. By the same token, Iowa hasn't scored 30 or more on any P5 opponent this year. I look for a low scoring and close game on Black Friday.

Sweet, thanks.

Iowa has held 8 opponents to their lowest point total of the year (Rutgers, MTSU, Michigan, Penn State, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa State). It's not a dominant defense in term of not allowing yards (although Iowa is better than most) or bunches of tackles for loss. Just sound team defense. Nebraska can do some things that give Iowa D some trouble (the QB running the ball) but it's a good unit.

AM struggles with teams playing a conbo defense.. man zone and switching it mid drive... iowa doesnt do that they play the same defense and dont often blitz.. they want to get pressure with their front 4.. i think AM will find success again against the hawks.. i would like to see more option as well.. having Mills as a threat is huge for this offense.. getting wandale back will be big and the oline needs to keep getting better.. i do like our chances more today than I did 2 3 weeks ago as well.. we need to punch these guys in the face and be aggressive..all game long.crowd will be big and if we can get pressure up the middle on Stanley statue he will go down. Moving Cam to CB and bootle to safety was big for this defense..

Reactions: pahusker139
Don’t count on Wan’Dale being back this week. Hope I’m wrong but it didn’t sound like he’d play again this season.

Iowa’s D will be up to the challenge to stifle the Nebraska O. The question is can Nebraska’s D cover the Iowa WR and TE if not it could be a long day.

Not sure we will win but I hate Iowa. Their fans are just annoying. I like they do the wave to the children in the hospital but that’s it. They had to make Kinnick Stadium artificial grass because when it was real grass their cheerleaders would go grazing on the field at halftime. Woof.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Iowa plays a conservative, defensive game. Tight D to not give up the big play. Conservative offense based on running and safe passes. NEB may very well put up 400 or 500 yards. That isn't really the problem with our offense.

More important is how we do in the red zone. We can't afford piles of FGs, picks or other turnovers down there. We haven't done well down there all year. We weren't all that great today either.

Like any other B1G game, we have to stop the run and defend 3rd downs. Two things we screw up against most teams with a pulse. We make many RBs and QBs look like superstars against us.

We have a chance if we don't make a ton of mistakes and the players play like their season depends on a win, which it does.

Good post sir! I think the biggest problem we have in the red zone is mostly due to a very marginal OLine. It's been improving a lot for the last two games but still has a long ways to go. I bet we'll get there.....but probably not as fast as we want.

Last edited:

yep, their defense is definitely solid. Their offense isn’t great at all. Unlike Wisconsin, Iowa doesn’t have any big time offensive players. Their lone stud is AJ Epenesa (on the offensive and defensive side of things) and he’s been a little off this year. If we can move the ball on them like we did to a top 4 Wisconsin defense...we will keep the game close. But we have to get into the end zone. That’s what will win the game or lose the game for us. But like Wisconsin, our Huskers will move the ball on Iowa’s defense. It’s a matter of us scoring that will hurt us or help us....Finishing drives....I’m taking the Huskers 21-14 over Iowa. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT