ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has 22 commits already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, it’s all perspective. We look at players like Lynum, Conn, Nixon and Smothers and believe Frost is getting in before they blow up. Then we look at Iowa and think the same level of recruit is just not a great player and their recruits only have offers from k state, Iowa st and other lower level P5 schools.

Taking a few guys like that now is a helluva lot different than filling your class with them by August.

Iowa has beat us 5 of the last 6 years. Over that interval, they've done "their thing" better than we've done "our thing". I don't understand questioning a team that has owned us of late.

I didn’t see a single commit of theirs with offers from any elite programs.

We offered 5 of their commits. .

Thanks for clarifying the status of your program.

Two commits had offers from Penn State, three others had offers from Michigan, Ohio State and Georgia.

Taking a few guys like that now is a helluva lot different than filling your class with them by August.

Well that is half of the class isn’t it? If you are basing things solely on reported offers, Hutmacher and Corcoran are the only dudes with “big time” offers. At that rate, we will have 6 of our 24 recruits with “big time” offers.

As I said it’s all perspective.

Well that is half of the class isn’t it? If you are basing things solely on reported offers, Hutmacher and Corcoran are the only dudes with “big time” offers. At that rate, we will have 6 of our 24 recruits with “big time” offers.

I would also say stars do matter a bit... half our class is 4 star at this point. It does make a difference in terms of how the class feels to date...

Iowa has beat us 5 of the last 6 years. Over that interval, they've done "their thing" better than we've done "our thing". I don't understand questioning a team that has owned us of late.
Who have they owned? Riley... is that a surprise to you? Because it isn’t to me...

Edit: yes, they are doing something right… But we most definitely were conceding a ton during this time as well. Our thing moving forward will look tremendously different from what it has in the last half dozen years…

Reactions: SOHusker11
Iowa Rivals commit page is https://iowa.rivals.com/commitments/football/2020. Class averages as a 5.57 for the 22 commits.
Iowa has a system to develop these kids. They will win more games than they lose if they pull a sufficient number of the low and mid 3*s up to being able to compete at the Power 5 level, which they have done over the years. We will see in the next couple of years whether NU's plan of developing even better recruits to compete for conference titles and playoff spots works out.
Pelini was 3-1 against Iowa when they went 26-25. Riley/Frost are 0-4 against Iowa when they went 35-16. The bottom line is that NU has recruited at a significantly better clip than Iowa since before NU's move to the B1G, but Iowa has gotten a much bigger bang for their recruiting buck than NU over the past few years.
We will know NU has a arrived back as a legit program when the Iowa game in no longer a yearly nail biter, but a game NU fully expects to win.

Again, it’s all perspective. We look at players like Lynum, Conn, Nixon and Smothers and believe Frost is getting in before they blow up. Then we look at Iowa and think the same level of recruit is just not a great player and their recruits only have offers from k state, Iowa st and other lower level P5 schools.

Oh really... how interesting...

What can you do other than hope Nebraska builds a solid class come closing time next year? That, and start winning at a 9-10 game clip every season, then work up from there.

Like I’ve said before, the South and a few other teams north of that territory (sometimes rotating in and out like tOSU) own college football these days, and their grip is tighter than gorilla glue. Maybe sometime down the road Nebraska can get into the rotation, but that looks to be a long way down the road, to get there will take some above average classes, way above.

Last edited:
https://247sports.com/college/iowa/...Four-Star-Lena-Winslow-Tim-Polasek-134040096/

Here is a quick read from a recruiting site that sums things up pretty decent. 247Sports obviously gives the nod to guys the coaching staff finds, like two kids from a school of 250.

I stated this in another thread and I believe it’s more relevant here. The 2016 class had no four stars, had 22 commits by the end of August, and could be considered a top 10 or even top 5 class in a rerank. The 2020 class is better on paper as well.

It all comes down to what others have stated on here. Can Iowa get over the hump of not having better skill guys.

Not complicated. Riley is why they have won 4 of those years. He gone. Blaming Frost for last years loss is like having a tornado destroy 95% of your house and blaming the contractor for destroying the other 5% in an attempt to rebuild.

Last edited:
Really pretty simple. Iowa goes mostly goes after low 3 star guys that many P5 schools don't offer. So they have no competition. This type of players will jump and any P5 offer. Pretty well any school could fill their class with how Iowa recruits.
Now to be fair Iowa is able to develop this lower level talent very well. However at some point if they want to be a next level team and get over that hump of 8 and 9 win season. They will have to recruit better talent.

It's been funny watching Iowa's lowly 3 star recruits, RB's, WR's and TE's running all over the field and in most cases blowing past all these amazing 4 star studs the last six years or so.

It's been funny watching Iowa's lowly 3 star recruits, RB's, WR's and TE's running all over the field and in most cases blowing past all these amazing 4 star studs the last six years or so.
Glad you’ve gotten your rocks off over this... we will see how much longer your will be able to enjoy this.

Reactions: Bold Words
Not complicated. Riley is why they have won 4 of those years. He gone. Blaming Frost for last years loss is like having a tornado destroy 95% of your house and blaming the contractor for destroying the other 5% in an attempt to rebuild.
I didn't blame anyone. I simply stated that I don't understand the mentality of ripping another program that has owned you for most of the last 6 years. As much as some would like to, you can't cast off loses just because the coach isn't here any longer. They still count. Iowa > Nebraska over the last 6 years. When that changes, we are free to rip away at Iowa all we want. Until then, it just looks pathetic.

What is still available for discussion is the quality of women in Iowa, the stench that comes out of Council Bluffs, and dozens of other oddities that occur across the river.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Who have they owned? Riley... is that a surprise to you? Because it isn’t to me...

Edit: yes, they are doing something right… But we most definitely were conceding a ton during this time as well. Our thing moving forward will look tremendously different from what it has in the last half dozen years…
I, too, have the same hope as you for our future. When that materializes, we have a foundation to stand on while we make fun of the Iowa approach. Right now...we don't.

Reactions: timnsun
being 4-8 probably puts some recruits in the waite and see mode. Come out killing other teams and the list grows quickly. Come out flat again and the waite and see mode continues.

Come out flat and with a few stupid losses early and it is a lot more serious than "wait and see" mode. I think this year is really important, 8 wins, okay, not great but expect a top 25 recruiting class (long term we need a lot better than that) 9 wins good, people still on the Frost bandwagon, top 15 or 20 recruiting class. 10 wins, I am really excited and top 10 or 15 class.

I would put that solely on who our coach was at the time. Riley owns those losses straight up!

I bet it’s been a lot of fun for you to watch Kirk win the division once in 8 years. But hey....who needs better talent when you can win the West once every decade?

Come out flat and with a few stupid losses early and it is a lot more serious than "wait and see" mode. I think this year is really important, 8 wins, okay, not great but expect a top 25 recruiting class (long term we need a lot better than that) 9 wins good, people still on the Frost bandwagon, top 15 or 20 recruiting class. 10 wins, I am really excited and top 10 or 15 class.

I'm talking recruits will remain in the wait and see mode. As in, no verbals until they see something that instill some light at the end of the tunnel. .

I would put that solely on who our coach was at the time. Riley owns those losses straight up!
Riley's losses
28-20 when Iowa was 12-2. Tommy threw 4 ints.
40-10 when Tommy was playing on one leg and the team generated 217 yds of total offense. Tommy averaged about 240 yds of total offense per game by himself for his career.
56-14 when the team flat out gave up and Frost Warning shirts were being sold outside Memorial.

Last year, Iowa won on a walkoff FG against an NU team that finished 4-8. NU's leading passer and rusher was a true frosh (AMart) and the leading receiver was also a true frosh (Mo). Put all of this together with the Pelini years and it's pretty clear that NU/Iowa is a dogfight game, except when NU's starting QB is playing on one good leg (or not playing at all, see 2013), or when NU is waiting for Scott Frost to be named HC.

I don’t know what constitutes a big time offer but I do know that Frost has signed/received commits from more 4 star players than Ferentz has in over a decade.

I would also guess that if Frost was signing 90-95% of his class with 3 stars that you and others...myself included would be questioning the talent level.

Reactions: timnsun
Hence why in my comment I said, Iowa is good at developing those guys. Still in the long term. I will take 4 and 5 star guys any day over 3s. Alabama and Clemson prove it take a team of 4 and 5 star talent to get to that next level and win championships.

I, too, have the same hope as you for our future. When that materializes, we have a foundation to stand on while we make fun of the Iowa approach. Right now...we don't.
Not really sure anyone is "making fun" of Iowa. Facts are facts. Iowa recruits mostly low level 3 stars guys. How is that making fun? Yes they are able to get the most out of those type of players. As Iowa has shown year after year, that level of talent only takes a team so far. In the end a team has to be able to build a team around many 4 and 5 star players to consistently be a contender for not only NC but a Conf championship.
Yes Iowa has been able to beat a more talented Nebraska team the last 4 years. Coaching played a HUGE factor in that. Going forward, If they can continue to get 3 star guys and dominate Nebraska, more power to them.

I don’t know what constitutes a big time offer but I do know that Frost has signed/received commits from more 4 star players than Ferentz has in over a decade.

I would also guess that if Frost was signing 90-95% of his class with 3 stars that you and others...myself included would be questioning the talent level.

I am just pointing out that Nebraska fans have a tendency to believe our 3 stars are somehow different than the 3 stars that Iowa or Wisconsin sign. When Nebraska commits a 3 star, with offers from Bryant, ECU and Kansas, it is because Frost sees the future. Lynum is a perfect example. When he committed, even though he has 3 reported P5 offers in Illinois, Maryland and Kansas, it was largely seen as a great pickup because Frost sees something in him that few others did. Now his recruitment is going to blow up.... but did it? I don't know.

As far as your point about if we recruited like Iowa, that I would be questioning that process, you're damn right I would. I question why we have a couple of the 3 stars we have committed right now. Those dudes probably aren't going anywhere, and if they do, then there is another 5.6 3 star that would take his place if need be.

I will be blunt here. Until we beat Iowa we are in no position to be laughing at their recruiting.

And even though I love Frost and am one million percent certain he will return us to greatness, I am underwhelmed by our recruiting so far this year. My strong feeling is that we will end strong in recruiting if we have a solid season. But right now our recruiting, in terms of actual commitments, is nothing special. We have four upper level kind of guys and four guys who look on paper to be pretty average.

And only 8 guys so far. I don’t care how you want to spin that or douse it in red koolaid, but if we were sitting at 22 guys right now we would all be using that as evidence of Frost’s recruiting prowess. Let’s not kid ourselves. It is a negative rather than a positive that we only have 8 guys.

Iowa does as good a job of developing talent of lower rated recruits as anyone in the conference. There are three top recruiting schools in the conference, OSO, MI and Ped state. These three schools record over the last 3 years against Nu, NW, Iowa,Wi and Mich state all schools who develop well or in Nu's case recruit well is 24-6. I think NU recruits better historically than all these schools if we can develop the talent I think we beat the rest of the west fairly regularly

The way I see recruiting vis-à-vis the commercial service ratings is this: outside of the top 3-4 ranked players at each position (basically the Rivals Top 100) the individual player ratings really don't mean a whole lot. The top 3/4 players at each position are essentially elite talent by consensus. These are the players every coach covets.

Beyond the top 100 or so, consensus starts to break down rapidly. From this point down the list the ratings become much more arbitrary and capricious. Is there that much difference between the 6th ranked OT (Player A) and the 7th ranked prospect (Player B)? Probably not. And yet, one player (Player "A") could be designated a 4-star prospect while the next guy on his list missed the totally arbitrary cut line and is designated a 3-star prospect. By the time you get to the Rivals 5.6 vs. 5.5 player ratings you might as well pull names out of a hat and rank them accordingly.

Except for a handful of programs, analyzing prospects rated "3-star" or lower players is where almost every coach make their money.

The way I see recruiting vis-à-vis the commercial service ratings is this: outside of the top 3-4 ranked players at each position (basically the Rivals Top 100) the individual player ratings really don't mean a whole lot. The top 3/4 players at each position are essentially elite talent by consensus. These are the players every coach covets.

Beyond the top 100 or so, consensus starts to break down rapidly. From this point down the list the ratings become much more arbitrary and capricious. Is there that much difference between the 6th ranked OT (Player A) and the 7th ranked prospect (Player B)? Probably not. And yet, one player (Player "A") could be designated a 4-star prospect while the next guy on his list missed the totally arbitrary cut line and is designated a 3-star prospect. By the time you get to the Rivals 5.6 vs. 5.5 player ratings you might as well pull names out of a hat and rank them accordingly.

Except for a handful of programs, analyzing prospects rated "3-star" or lower players is where almost every coach make their money.

Mostly agree. I think you can probably go 300 or so deep before you get to the pulling out of a hat point. Mostly because some of the positions aren’t represented a ton in the top 100.

I would say if you broke it down by position, I would be 100% in agreement. After a certain point the difference between the #25 WR and #40 WR is minimal.

I will be blunt here. Until we beat Iowa we are in no position to be laughing at their recruiting.

And even though I love Frost and am one million percent certain he will return us to greatness, I am underwhelmed by our recruiting so far this year. My strong feeling is that we will end strong in recruiting if we have a solid season. But right now our recruiting, in terms of actual commitments, is nothing special. We have four upper level kind of guys and four guys who look on paper to be pretty average.

And only 8 guys so far. I don’t care how you want to spin that or douse it in red koolaid, but if we were sitting at 22 guys right now we would all be using that as evidence of Frost’s recruiting prowess. Let’s not kid ourselves. It is a negative rather than a positive that we only have 8 guys.
I agree, having 8 recruits is not ideal at this point of the year. I would bet Frost would probably tell you the same thing. However the point on Iowa is they tend to take kids that most other schools don't want at least most other p5 schools. Those type of kids with minimal offers will jump all over Iowa. Then they develop the hell out of them. It works for them enough to get their 7-9 win season.
That isn't good enough here we have to be able to get better recruits. I believe Frost knows it as well. So I think if he wanted to play the Iowa recruiting game he would also have his class filled. He instead, I think is taking shots at higher ranked guys and not only higher ranked guys, but guys who will fit in with what he is trying to do here. Basically he is being extra picky with who he takes.
As normal this is just my humble opinion. I think he would rather be sitting with 8 guys he 100% wants. Than 22 guys he settled on just to get his class filled early. I could be way off and Frost is sitting in his office cussing that he can't get guys to commit. lol

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Iowa Rivals commit page is https://iowa.rivals.com/commitments/football/2020. Class averages as a 5.57 for the 22 commits.
Iowa has a system to develop these kids. They will win more games than they lose if they pull a sufficient number of the low and mid 3*s up to being able to compete at the Power 5 level, which they have done over the years. We will see in the next couple of years whether NU's plan of developing even better recruits to compete for conference titles and playoff spots works out.
Pelini was 3-1 against Iowa when they went 26-25. Riley/Frost are 0-4 against Iowa when they went 35-16. The bottom line is that NU has recruited at a significantly better clip than Iowa since before NU's move to the B1G, but Iowa has gotten a much bigger bang for their recruiting buck than NU over the past few years.
We will know NU has a arrived back as a legit program when the Iowa game in no longer a yearly nail biter, but a game NU fully expects to win.
Pelini also benefited as he played Iowa in the only time of significant change in the Ferentz era. Iowa lost a ton of talent off the 2010 team and changed it's OC and DC for the first time since 1999 during the Pelini games.

Pelini also benefited as he played Iowa in the only time of significant change in the Ferentz era. Iowa lost a ton of talent off the 2010 team and changed it's OC and DC for the first time since 1999 during the Pelini games.

Neat, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT