ADVERTISEMENT

If you really want to stop abuse

Lol. Expecting any lawyer to have a conscience and behave like a normal human? That will be the day.
That's not exactly true. I know a guy that all he does is sue other lawyers for screwing things up!:D Actually I have several friends who are lawyers who are pretty darned good people and who appear to me to always do the right thing. I've also known some who are scumbags just like I've known people in Drs, Profs, Vets, etc who are scumbags. They're just humans and we've all fallen short in some way.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I've been married to an attorney for ten years. What it has taught me is that 99% of the population knows very little about the law, or about being an attorney.

Attorneys take an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States. Now you may laugh at that, but it means everyone in a Democratic society deserves the right to settle disputes in court, or have an expert preparing their criminal defense. The McDonald's coffee case is a classic example. Armchair attorneys just know it was a frivolous lawsuit, because they heard some ten second blurb on the evening news. Yeah, it wasn't.

My cousin is currently defending the male suspect in the Sydney Loofe case. He is a public defender, and he was assigned the case. He's not doing it because he's drinking buddies with the guy. While most people want to string the defendant up from the nearest tree, my cousin is preparing his defense. He's doing it, because the United States Constitution requires it. Everybody deserves a fair trial. This is done, because there's a chance the guy is innocent. The legal system is supposed to be impartial, because angry mobs aren't.

My wife handles eminent domain cases for highway projects. Everyone thinks she spends her time evicting grandma from her house. Quite the opposite, actually. In Texas, wealthy land developers try all sorts of tricks to rip off the taxpayers, whom they view as having an endless pot of money. They'll buy a cesspool along a highway for $50,000, and when the road expands, suddenly it is an "artesian well" worth $10 million. They do this all the time. And, because the attorney general thinks it looks bad for AG's to file complaints against private firms, the opposing attorneys get away with all kinds of abuse. My wife has been called every name in the book by opposing attorneys. They'll get right up in her face and scream obscenities, and nothing ever happens to them. In Texas, where judges are elected, rather than appointed, big law firms stuff judges' wallets with huge wads of cash for reelection...so who do you think gets all the breaks in court?

Last edited:
I've been married to an attorney for ten years. What it has taught me is that 99% of the population knows very little about the law, or about being an attorney.

Attorneys take an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States. Now you may laugh at that, but it means everyone in a Democratic society deserves the right to settle disputes in court, or have an expert preparing their criminal defense. The McDonald's coffee case is a classic example. Armchair attorneys just know it was a frivolous lawsuit, because they heard some ten second blurb on the evening news. Yeah, it wasn't.

My cousin is currently defending the male suspect in the Sydney Loofe case. He is a public defender, and he was assigned the case. He's not doing it because he's drinking buddies with the guy. While most people want to string the defendant up from the nearest tree, my cousin is preparing his defense. He's doing it, because the United States Constitution requires it. Everybody deserves a fair trial. This is done, because there's a chance the guy is innocent. The legal system is supposed to be impartial, because angry mobs aren't.

My wife handles eminent domain cases for highway projects. Everyone thinks she spends her time evicting grandma from her house. Quite the opposite, actually. In Texas, wealthy land developers try all sorts of tricks to rip off the taxpayers, whom they view as having an endless pot of money. They'll buy a cesspool along a highway for $50,000, and when the road expands, suddenly it is an "artesian well" worth $10 million. They do this all the time. And, because the attorney general thinks it looks bad for AG's to file complaints against private firms, the opposing attorneys get away with all kinds of abuse. My wife has been called every name in the book by opposing attorneys. They'll get right up in her face and scream obscenities, and nothing ever happens to them. In Texas, where judges are elected, rather than appointed, big first stuff judges' wallets with huge wads of cash for reelection...so who do you think gets all the breaks in court?
That's a pretty good story

Most of the people I've met that don't like lawyers are poor, drug addicts, rapists, other criminals, multiple divorces, low functioning etc. They associate their failures in life with lawyers and the legal system. Not saying you guys fit in those categories.... but then again there's a fair chance you do.

Most of the people I've met that don't like lawyers are poor, drug addicts, rapists, other criminals, multiple divorces, low functioning etc. They associate their failures in life with lawyers and the legal system. Not saying you guys fit in those categories.... but then again there's a fair chance you do.
Well, your assumption is false. I am doing just fine and have never been in the slightest bit of legal trouble.

Well, your assumption is false. I am doing just fine and have never been in the slightest bit of legal trouble.

Well, up until a few months ago Larry Nassar would've said the same thing. If you have a problem with lawyers I guarantee there's something you're not telling us. Let it out, you'll feel better.

Lawyers are just people who know the rules of our country and legal system. It doesn't mean the rules and legal system are the best they can be, but there has to be a group of people that know those rules. The job of a lawyer does not involve inputing their own rules based on religion or philosophy or life experience. They interpret the current law in order to defend or prosecute people involved in conflict with the law. The basis of the peace in our country is the law, and the accountability provided by good lawyers and judges. We could immediately tar and feather the first man we thought was a rapist, without due process and an investigation, but that would be the definition of a land without law. Carrying out judgement without process become arbitrary and based on preference and power and not law. And threatening defense lawyers with prosecution would immediately remove the last defense against prosecution based on money and power.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT