ADVERTISEMENT

IF the BOB rumor mill is true,

Not sure what people expected at PSU for BOB on the recruiting front? You all do remember what happened, right? Post-season 4 year ban, something like 1/2 their scholarships lost. Dozens of players allowed to transfer with immediate eligibility. People seriously expected him to recruit well in that situation?
Plus his recruiting ranking suffered because their classes were so small. He was still landing 4 star kids

Adam Carriker put it out on social media that he's been getting calls and texts from various people about who the next coach is.

Well I guarantee you based on what I saw at Penn State he would work his ass off, hold people accountable, run a football first organization and not get involved in chasing woman and getting drunk or playing golf.
Also he has actually been a successful headcoach in very stressful circumstances.....and I guarantee he won't be fvcked with.

I keep going back to that glowing article that oddly came out about Obrien recently by a Husker writer

almost like the skids were being greased

I don’t think so. Pernell isn’t really big media, he’s just a message board hack like the rest of us. I mean I like him and think he’s very well informed, but still. He used to post on HuskerMax and has been very critical of our coaches and Duvall. He’s a smart football guy, but definitely not a mouthpiece for the AD.

Last edited:
I don’t think so. Pernell isn’t really big media, he’s just a message board hack like the rest of us. I mean I like him and think he’s very well informed, but still. He used to post on HuskerMax and has been very critical of our coaches and Duvall. He’s a smart football guy, but definitely not a mouthpiece for the AD.
ehhh ... your probably right - too much conspiracy

but what if Jeremy Pernell is the pseudonym Tom Osborne uses in writing these articles? Or better yet Trev Alberts pseudonym is Jeremy Pernell ?

but what if Jeremy Pernell is the pseudonym Tom Osborne uses in writing these articles? Or better yet Trev Alberts pseudonym is Jeremy Pernell ?

giphy.gif

You wouldn't be critical of husker coaches and duvall? You must like the results

For god sake, we have largely had the B team for two decades. Duvall is a f.. disaster

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
You wouldn't be critical of husker coaches and duvall? You must like the results

For god sake, we have largely had the B team for two decades. Duvall is a f.. disaster

Where did you get that from? Of course I am unhappy with the results. I was simply pointing out Parnell isn’t a University mouthpiece.

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
I assume that means you believe he would be a bad hire?
I wouldn’t necessarily say “bad” hire. It’s just not a hire that’s gonna put fear into opposing teams fan bases. He isn’t very personable, like Bo. He will be plenty better than Frost, however. Just my opinion.

Where did you get that from? Of course I am unhappy with the results. I was simply pointing out Parnell isn’t a University mouthpiece.
My apologies if I misinterpreted your comments.

BTW, Jeremy's article on BOB was very thorough and should make anyone think he could be a good candidate

Anyone who worked for Belichick and Saban as OC is very high on my list plus has HC experience in college (pros i care less about)

BOB runs circles around MJ's experience which is no slight on MJ

The Federalist Papers....Nebraska style... 😆

Reactions: Redmich
I don’t think bob would be a home run hire
His resume is the best of anybody not named Nick or Urban. It isn’t even close. OC for the Pats and Bama. Winner at PSU with only 55 scholarship players. Still recruited top players even with the sanctions. 4 division titles with the Texans. He might not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling but the guy’s a damned good coach. Think about the top recruits he’s developed relationships with while at Bama.

Urban Meyer would scare me. Jim Harbaugh would scare me. Jeff Brohm, PJ Fleck, And Bret Bielema would give me some worry at Nebraska. James Franklin really wouldn’t.
Yep. There are a few names out there I think would make people's head turn. For me that is Urban and Whittingham and maybe Petersen. From there it is kind of meh... As much as people hate Harbaugh, I would love to have that guy here. It would never happen in a million years, but it would be awesome as **** if John Harbaugh came to NU. Get that brother rivalry going again./

Reactions: headcard
Why should MJ get a chance over many other more qualified candidates?
1. He is the current head coach of the team. That puts him in the unique position of actually impacting the performance of the team directly which obviously none of the other candidates can do. Take that data and use it to evaluate him, it costs nothing to do that.
2. Bill O'brien(or other 'more qualified' coaches) wont leave their current position before any CCG or elimination from that game. There is no reason to make a move beforehand. That does not mean you don't speak with 'people', and make the ultimate best choice in the hiring.

I am not convinced MJ is the long term answer, there hasn't been enough evidence yet in 4 games. I do like his approach to bearing responsibility('this one is on me' will only last so long) and he is a pretty darn good recruiter by most accounts.
Waiting to decide until CCGs is not giving him a chance OVER more qualified candidates that would 95% not move until that time anyway. It is just using all the information available for as long as you have it. If he wins out(not going to happen) then maybe Nebraska fell into a coach who will be wildly successful by not being hasty.

1. He is the current head coach of the team. That puts him in the unique position of actually impacting the performance of the team directly which obviously none of the other candidates can do. Take that data and use it to evaluate him, it costs nothing to do that.
2. Bill O'brien(or other 'more qualified' coaches) wont leave their current position before any CCG or elimination from that game. There is no reason to make a move beforehand. That does not mean you don't speak with 'people', and make the ultimate best choice in the hiring.

I am not convinced MJ is the long term answer, there hasn't been enough evidence yet in 4 games. I do like his approach to bearing responsibility('this one is on me' will only last so long) and he is a pretty darn good recruiter by most accounts.
Waiting to decide until CCGs is not giving him a chance OVER more qualified candidates that would 95% not move until that time anyway. It is just using all the information available for as long as you have it. If he wins out(not going to happen) then maybe Nebraska fell into a coach who will be wildly successful by not being hasty.
Not issue for considering him but by the 28th of November TA better have his guy locked up

Two things would need to happen before I would consider hiring MJ.
1. we would need to see evidence he can take the pile of s... (i.e. blocking, open field tackling, etc.) we saw last week and actually improve THIS season along with a few more wins
2. TA top candidates are not interested

His resume is the best of anybody not named Nick or Urban. It isn’t even close. OC for the Pats and Bama. Winner at PSU with only 55 scholarship players. Still recruited top players even with the sanctions. 4 division titles with the Texans. He might not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling but the guy’s a damned good coach. Think about the top recruits he’s developed relationships with while at Bama.
My Hope is that he wants to have sustained success at one school. He's kind of crafted his own coaching style over the last 20 some years which has gotten pretty good results. Now he's learning from the Alabama machine up close and taking their best practices which he can apply on his own. (How to practice, how to handle talent, how to identify recruits, how to assemble a good staff) he knows this stuff, but he's refining it. I know, I know. Hope is not a strategy. I've got a pretty good feeling about the guy though.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Does TA request he comes in now and starts the job?? Bye-week now, game prep next week... hmmmm

This gives him MJ a chance to bond.
Bama is out of the playoffs since they lost one game ;)
Gives him extra time to start recruiting.
Makes him less likely to get a new job since he screwed his old program.
Gives NU extra pub since it is a mid-season hire.
Bama is out of the playoffs???? Too funny. It is called the Nick Saban Invitational Tournament. If they run the table on their remaining schedule they will be the SEC West Champions. it is even possible they lose one more game and are still the SEC West champs.

Last edited:
Reactions: jteten
Idk why people hate on Bill O. 15-9 at Penn St. with all the shit going on. And was good in Houston until he became the GM too. Working under saben now. Checks all the boxes of what people want. My list has always been 1. Bill O and 2 Mickey.

Penn State got a much better coach when they hired Franklin. Then you write "And was good in Houston until he became the GM too". What do you think a head college coach does? He's the GM of his team. Bill is a jerk. Another Bo. Bill will be screaming at the fans after a loss as he walks off the field. Every other word coming out of his mouth F--k! The players and fans will love that. He's a Cretin. Google his time with the Patriots. All you will get is clips of Brady and Bill yelling at each other on the sidelines.

My Hope is that he wants to have sustained success at one school. He's kind of crafted his own coaching style over the last 20 some years which has gotten pretty good results. Now he's learning from the Alabama machine up close and taking their best practices which he can apply on his own. (How to practice, how to handle talent, how to identify recruits, how to assemble a good staff) he knows this stuff, but he's refining it. I know, I know. Hope is not a strategy. I've got a pretty good feeling about the guy though.
BOB would be the most logical hire out there. He’s got the resume, there’s no buyout and he’s available after the playoffs. They could announce the hire and have Mickey be the closer on the recruiting trail until Bill’s free. The only question would be how much $$$ and IF he would take the NU job versus Auburn.

Reactions: Minn1954
I'm not super hung up on who it is, but we better have our shit together when the transfer portal opens on December 5th. This program can't afford another wasted year.
So you're saying you want a quick fix rather than a rebuild?

We truly are in the worst timeline if I'm stuck having to watch and root for another Bill O'Brien team after watching that shitshow in Houston. Please don't hire BoB. We'll be coaching searching again in 5 years. His offenses routinely do less with more and he will never have the same level of talent at Alabama as he would at Nebraska.

Meanwhile a coach that has actually done more with less is Mike Elko at Duke. He has done miracles in less than a full season and is about to be 5-3 with 2 of those losses marred by questionable at best calls down the stretch that went against the Blue Devils. Currently up 17 at Miami. Miami's recruiting classes have averaged 13th while Duke's 64th and they're dominating. Less than a single season, cupboard completely bare and he's got them in bowl contention.

None of you guys have a clue on most of the strong possibilities for the new Nebraska football head coach success in the future. About zero. If it is BOB, he would be the best hire post Osborne. There are other potential candidates who could carry the same moniker if hired.

If it is true our total compensation package for a new head football coach and his group of ten assistants is 18 million or more, Nebraska has upped their game big-time. The ten assistants should have resumes showing at least four with strong developmental successes of all-conference type players and many draft picks At their position(s) of coaching. The sort of assistants that is mostly employed at schools like OSU, Alabama, Texas , Georgia, etc. you get the picture. A new dawning with THE new facility and new NIL Nebraska version would be great timing since in 2024 USC(especially) and UCLA appear to be two other schools already ahead of Nebraska on the field.

The opportunity to get better has never been better in the last ten years or so. The crying about BOB being average or a failure is totally laughable. He isn’t Saban, Meyer or Swinney but comparable to about any other potential candidate Who is interested and a serious candidate. I am not saying the above three coaches had any interest. We aren’t this great can’t miss school in football who should always be strongly competing for conference championships and higher. Live in the real world and this reality does look better, maybe much better, in the future with a BOB or some other candidates.

Reactions: dinglefritz
There’s a lot of foundation aspects that need a total overhaul. Strength & conditioning for example. But with NIL and the portal the goal should ALWAYS be “win now.”
I disagree. I have yet to see a program in "win now" mode sustain success. I think NU is better than that.

We can do both concomitantly
A team can turn around quickly when they upgrade from being horribly coached to being well coached. And finding a Trey Palmer to add to the mix will help. But the emphasis needs to go away from pleasing the big money boosters and village idiots (some people have duel membership) and finding the best coach who is the best fit.

I disagree. I have yet to see a program in "win now" mode sustain success. I think NU is better than that.
We haven’t been to a bowl game in 6 years and you’re worried about sustainability. If it was announced right now that Urban Meyer was going to come coach for 3 years and then leave I’d throw a damn parade, you’d say “no thanks.”

None of you guys have a clue on most of the strong possibilities for the new Nebraska football head coach success in the future. About zero. If it is BOB, he would be the best hire post Osborne. There are other potential candidates who could carry the same moniker if hired.

If it is true our total compensation package for a new head football coach and his group of ten assistants is 18 million or more, Nebraska has upped their game big-time. The ten assistants should have resumes showing at least four with strong developmental successes of all-conference type players and many draft picks At their position(s) of coaching. The sort of assistants that is mostly employed at schools like OSU, Alabama, Texas , Georgia, etc. you get the picture. A new dawning with THE new facility and new NIL Nebraska version would be great timing since in 2024 USC(especially) and UCLA appear to be two other schools already ahead of Nebraska on the field.

The opportunity to get better has never been better in the last ten years or so. The crying about BOB being average or a failure is totally laughable. He isn’t Saban, Meyer or Swinney but comparable to about any other potential candidate Who is interested and a serious candidate. I am not saying the above three coaches had any interest. We aren’t this great can’t miss school in football who should always be strongly competing for conference championships and higher. Live in the real world and this reality does look better, maybe much better, in the future with a BOB or some other candidates.
Where are you hearing the figure of 18 mill for a coaching package. I am hearing much more conservative numbers than that.

We haven’t been to a bowl game in 6 years and you’re worried about sustainability. If it was announced right now that Urban Meyer was going to come coach for 3 years and then leave I’d throw a damn parade, you’d say “no thanks.”
Sorry, I was talking realistically and not hypothetically. Urban isn't coming here. But I'll play along, if he said he was coming here for three years, I'd be fine with it and hope that he left the program much better than he found it.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT