ADVERTISEMENT

I watched it again…

Dang true freshman with an over 70% completion percentage. How dare he miss 2 passes
Just a touch more zip.

Isn't it great to critique little things rather than complaining about receivers wide open down field or throws at the feet or better yet throwing mechanics especially haarberg. Man they (Glen Thomas) really changed his point of delivery

I think if we are gonna point to something to be upset about it would be the tackling. Not the numbers of guys around the ball, but the after contact yards UNi Rbs were getting.
If Nebraska tackles next week against Illinois as they did against Northern Iowa last night, they’ll lose. Nebraska did a lot of great things and I was happy about the win but disappointed in the physicality of our defense.

And I have several thoughts from the point of view of a non football coach… none of this should be seen as an attempt at the Holy Grail…
I think that the focus was good considering the potential let down from week before

I liked O line protection of Dylan… maybe not so much run production

Liked our special teams except for kicker interference

LOVED our swarming to the ball… maybe not our wrapping up the runner on occasion

LOVED how they used Haarberg… and he looked more than serviceable as a qb

I feel that they only scored 3 while we bent a lot was huge

Feeling good, but realized that better teams await… like this week

Not understanding that roughing the punter at all. Looked to me like hands to the chest and the kicker fell down on que. running into maybe but roughing no way.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The amount of panic being shown by our fanbase from a 34-3 win is astounding. I think it could mean 1 or 2 things

1. You are so traumatized by the last decade that when the Huskers don’t play perfectly, you think that they are playing poorly.

2. You finally have expectations, the last two games was nothing short of dominance on defense and last night was a bit of a let down.

I fully expect this team to be beat Illinois comfortably by 2 scores or more.

The amount of panic being shown by our fanbase from a 34-3 win is astounding. I think it could mean 1 or 2 things

1. You are so traumatized by the last decade that when the Huskers don’t play perfectly, you think that they are playing poorly.

2. You finally have expectations, the last two games was nothing short of dominance on defense and last night was a bit of a let down.

I fully expect this team to be beat Illinois comfortably by 2 scores or more.
I’m in number 1 phase, I never felt comfortable in 2nd half of CU and not until we were up by 3 scores against N.Iowa. The ptsd of husker football is real.

He’s looking better in his appearances this year, I think it’s because there is no pressure when he is in. Big difference in mop up duty time vs having to score to win the game.

I think he’s just getting better and figuring out high level football. He looked like he called an audible on EJ’s long run. He didn’t have that kind of awareness last year.

I think he’s just getting better and figuring out high level football. He looked like he called an audible on EJ’s long run. He didn’t have that kind of awareness last year.
Only natural for someone who has a position coach for the first time in his entire life

Reactions: leodisflowers
Oh my goodness… that last line is so true! Only have to go back as far as last year!!!!
The number of plays was misleading since the offense had so many chunk plays and drove down the field at will in the 1st half.
Yes and no....I agree, BUT NI often had third down conversions that gave them a couple extra minutes at times

Reactions: headcard
Oh my goodness… that last line is so true! Only have to go back as far as last year!!!!

Yes and no....I agree, BUT NI often had third down conversions that gave them a couple extra minutes at times
Oh, I totally agree, not the greatest defensive performance. I was just pointing out context matters. I know on paper we were 30 point favorites, but White still seemed to call a game that said no big plays. Only one way to get beat and that was a couple long tds by UNI. White called it accordingly. I was there, those conversions might have broke the last few teams.

Average non-conference score over the past 10 years
2024 34-6.7 (3-0)
2023 25.7-20.3 (2-1)
2022 31.3-37 (1-2)
2021 32-11 (2-1)
2020 *no nonconference Covid*
2019 36.7-21 (2-1)
2018 15.7-19 (0-2) Akron game cancelled weather
2017 18.3-33 (1-2)
2016 43.3-19.7 (3-0) Last bowl season
2015 36.25-26.5 (2-2)

How many of those years did the 2nd team play a majority of 2nd half in multiple games?

Truth. GT has changed the QB game this year. Love what he brings and is helping these guys out. Need the same in the WR room.
I think Thomas has helped but there is zero doubt that another year in the system for Haarberg and a 5 star QB recruit have contributed to the improvement we've seen thus far. It's impossible to say for sure how much of the improvement Thomas accounts for. He arrived at a convenient time with Raiola's arrival....

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I think Thomas has helped but there is zero doubt that another year in the system for Haarberg and a 5 star QB recruit have contributed to the improvement we've seen thus far. It's impossible to say for sure how much of the improvement Thomas accounts for. He arrived at a convenient time with Raiola's arrival....
HH looks light years better with his throwing and I guarantee that is because we hired a QB coach. Raiola is a different animal, but HH has changed his game.

Reactions: BleedRed78 and ADV1
Seems like DR was kind of a finished product when he got here, relatively speaking. I do think Thomas has helped HH a lot, BUT I also credit HH because he kinda had to know DR was gonna be the starter, yet it looks like he continues to work hard to improve his throwing motion, etc.

I'm hoping, if the situation arises and we need HH early in a game, that it all translates into a strong performance based on his level of improvement.

HH looks light years better with his throwing and I guarantee that is because we hired a QB coach. Raiola is a different animal, but HH has changed his game.
I think he's more confident and accurate so far but he also hasn't face the pressure he did last year. I really don't see any change in his arm slot. Learned mechanics go out the window when you have a blitzing safety in your face or you're running for your life so I'm not going to get too enamored with his mechanics just yet. As I said, it's impossible to know how much Thomas contributed thus far. No doubt he helps. I think Haarberg would have been better this fall than last even if we hadn't hired Thomas just as a natural maturation.

Seems like DR was kind of a finished product when he got here, relatively speaking. I do think Thomas has helped HH a lot, BUT I also credit HH because he kinda had to know DR was gonna be the starter, yet it looks like he continues to work hard to improve his throwing motion, etc.

I'm hoping, if the situation arises and we need HH early in a game, that it all translates into a strong performance based on his level of improvement.tr
I think everybody around him is better this year as well. Second year in the system and more weapons should translate to better performance.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think he's more confident and accurate so far but he also hasn't face the pressure he did last year. I really don't see any change in his arm slot. Learned mechanics go out the window when you have a blitzing safety in your face or you're running for your life so I'm not going to get too enamored with his mechanics just yet. As I said, it's impossible to know how much Thomas contributed thus far. No doubt he helps. I think Haarberg would have been better this fall than last even if we hadn't hired Thomas just as a natural maturation.
We can agree to disagree. It's not just his arm, it's also reading defenses and going through progressions all which will give him confidence. I will agree that he hasn't seen a heavy D yet, but even Rhule mentioned that HH is making correct checks and going through progressions all of which he struggled with last year. When you have your own individual coach that can spend time it is going to help.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think everybody around him is better this year as well. Second year in the system and more weapons should translate to better performance.
Last year's NU QB room of Sims, HH, and Purdy was our own version of "Panic Room."
It was a mutually destructive room in terms of substandard play of a QB room.

Thus far, HH has entered the game with it already being in control, or nearly in control, so there's been zero pressure on him so far. In the event, he has to come in early in a game, that's when we can begin to measure HH's true level of improvement.

It's one thing to come in and throw one innning of relief with an 8 run lead, its another when you come in and inherit a bases-loaded, no-out sitution. That's when you see how good your stuff is.

Reactions: huntered
We can agree to disagree. It's not just his arm, it's also reading defenses and going through progressions all which will give him confidence. I will agree that he hasn't seen a heavy D yet, but even Rhule mentioned that HH is making correct checks and going through progressions all of which he struggled with last year. When you have your own individual coach that can spend time it is going to help.
He has yet to throw an incomplete pass.

Reaction of his teammates - especially the OL - to him getting carries and making a catch out of the backfield says it all.

Ultimate team/culture guy.

Can’t imagine being one of many who took every opportunity to shit all over him for the better part of this past year.

Average non-conference score over the past 10 years
2024 34-6.7 (3-0)
2023 25.7-20.3 (2-1)
2022 31.3-37 (1-2)
2021 32-11 (2-1)
2020 *no nonconference Covid*
2019 36.7-21 (2-1)
2018 15.7-19 (0-2) Akron game cancelled weather
2017 18.3-33 (1-2)
2016 43.3-19.7 (3-0) Last bowl season
2015 36.25-26.5 (2-2)

How many of those years did the 2nd team play a majority of 2nd half in multiple games?
God I miss Sco Fro!!! Looks like the Rams are off to a flying start since they hired him. They really got dicked on by the Cardinals bad last weekend.

Reactions: leodisflowers
and while DR/HH are all the talk I just keep thinking about DK back there quietly learning and getting ready for his time... feels good knowing there's an actual investment in the position and that NU is building stock in the future... I just hope they can keep DK happy so he doesn't bolt

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT