ADVERTISEMENT

I watched it again…

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
And I have several thoughts from the point of view of a non football coach… none of this should be seen as an attempt at the Holy Grail…
I think that the focus was good considering the potential let down from week before

I liked O line protection of Dylan… maybe not so much run production

Liked our special teams except for kicker interference

LOVED our swarming to the ball… maybe not our wrapping up the runner on occasion

LOVED how they used Haarberg… and he looked more than serviceable as a qb

I feel that they only scored 3 while we bent a lot was huge

Feeling good, but realized that better teams await… like this week

Not you, but I am still shaking my head at the fans who were "disappointed" in yesterday's performance. So, after all those years of suffering some people can't take a minute to enjoy a 34-3 victory and being 3-0? Game wasn't perfect BUT how many are ever perfect without things to improve for the next week. It will rarely if ever be 100% perfect. That's the game of football. Remember we even have some true freshmen playing in key roles and this is only their 3rd game. Meanwhile some teams long established as top tier like Georgia struggled yesterday.

Not you, but I am still shaking my head at the fans who were "disappointed" in yesterday's performance. So, after all those years of suffering some people can't take a minute to enjoy a 34-3 victory and being 3-0? Game wasn't perfect BUT how many are ever perfect without things to improve for the next week. It will rarely if ever be 100% perfect. That's the game of football. Remember we even have some true freshmen playing in key roles and this is only their 3rd game. Meanwhile some teams long established as top tier like Georgia struggled yesterday.
Oh I’m not complaining at all!!! 3-0, young players, setup for a letdown and still a really good win? No, I’m pretty happy … but there are thinks we can build on…but all in all… great!

I'm happy as heck being 3-0 and a 34-3 victory over a team that wasn't intimidated by our loud environment.

I'm optimistic about our offense & defense. I'm still unsure about our field goal kicking. In the red zone, at this point, I'd take my chances going for it on 4th down vs a field goal attempt.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think putting Haarberg in the wildcat inside the 10 yard line is a brilliant move. He is not a good runner despite what some on here claim but it is a perfect set-up for later in the year where he will fake a run and toss a pass for a TD. I think the coaches know that it would be better to have a running back run the ball inside the 10. But this is a good set up for later use...

I think putting Haarberg in the wildcat inside the 10 yard line is a brilliant move. He is not a good runner despite what some on here claim but it is a perfect set-up for later in the year where he will fake a run and toss a pass for a TD. I think the coaches know that it would be better to have a running back run the ball inside the 10. But this is a good set up for later use...
Bingo….exactly what I was thinking.

Not you, but I am still shaking my head at the fans who were "disappointed" in yesterday's performance. So, after all those years of suffering some people can't take a minute to enjoy a 34-3 victory and being 3-0?
Some people are definitely showing their age. Seems like they want to judge this team by the standard of the 80's and 90's. Some called for coach firings last week after beating Colorado.

Coach literally said post game they were putting thing on film. Forces opponents to spend time prepping and sets up counter plays.

Oh I’m not complaining at all!!! 3-0, young players, setup for a letdown and still a really good win? No, I’m pretty happy … but there are thinks we can build on…but all in all… great!
That's why I started the comment with "Not You". :)

Many don’t realize how good of a coach Mark Farley is. He has been the HC at UNI since 2001. He knows how to win. That was exactly the game Nebraska needed
Excellent point. The UNI coach did us a favor by running his QB so much after we played two teams that don't do that. Much rather get gashed on QB keepers by UNI than Illinois.

I think in a lot of ways Northern Iowa resembles a well coached Big 10 team including the fact that they have several Big 10 level performers in their lineup. They have one or two offensive linemen that looked like they could play for anybody.

Last edited:
Excellent point. I think in a lot of ways Northern Iowa resembles a well coached Big 10 team including the fact that they have several Big 10 level performers in their lineup. They have one or two offensive linemen that looked like they could play for anybody.
Rhule said last week when he was in Carolina he looked at o lineman from UNI none from Nebraska. Nebraska has also had 2 UNI transfers the last 2 years who were both starters on defense. They are a good program

I think it’s a sign of things getting better when fans are “disappointed” by Nebraskas performance when we won by 31.
I myself was a bit disappointed by the defensive performance at times. Not so much in the 2nd half as we were rotating a ton of guys.
I was not thrilled with how Rhule gets cute in games like this but hopefully he was just trying to put some stuff on film for other teams to see.

I think it’s a sign of things getting better when fans are “disappointed” by Nebraskas performance when we won by 31.
I myself was a bit disappointed by the defensive performance at times. Not so much in the 2nd half as we were rotating a ton of guys.
I was not thrilled with how Rhule gets cute in games like this but hopefully he was just trying to put some stuff on film for other teams to see.
It was suggested by someone that we might have tryouts for kickers if we had a lead… I was thinking before half might have been a good spot… but I don’t know if any of that was true

With the way UNI possessed and controlled the ball on the first drive, teams in the past would have panicked and melted down. The offense took the ball and shut it down immediately, teams in the past did not have that type of leadership. NU got punched in the face and staggered a little, but counter-punched and took control of the fight.

It was a great learning film for the defense going into conference play, just like last week's game was a great film game for the offense. It doesn't matter if you get knocked down; just get back up with a nasty disposition...

Excellent point. The UNI coach did us a favor by running his QB so much after we played two teams that don't do that. Much rather get gashed on QB keepers by UNI than Illinois.

I think in a lot of ways Northern Iowa resembles a well coached Big 10 team including the fact that they have several Big 10 level performers in their lineup. They have one or two offensive linemen that looked like they could play for anybody.
Rhule said the lineman will get looks by the NFL, there were scouts there last night to look at them.

Despite the roughing the punter call … I like that we are putting neyor out there trying to block a punt

With the way UNI possessed and controlled the ball on the first drive, teams in the past would have panicked and melted down. The offense took the ball and shut it down immediately, teams in the past did not have that type of leadership. NU got punched in the face and staggered a little, but counter-punched and took control of the fight.

It was a great learning film for the defense going into conference play, just like last week's game was a great film game for the offense. It doesn't matter if you get knocked down; just get back up with a nasty disposition...
Great point…

Agree with you but in reality that performance yesterday (if our best) could be maximum of 8 wins. Yes compared to recent results (20 years) we should be happy. But I think we're better than that with our talent.

I was surprised at Raiola under throwing. The one backshoulder throw was intentional but there was atleast 2 others that would have been huge gains

Reactions: OzzyLvr
UNI is better on offense than I gave them credit for and their time of possession limited the Huskers. Great game plan really by them. Really good FCS team. Played extremely hard. Coached very well. Huskers did what they needed and the only question was how much we win by. Does that translate to next week? We'll see.

UNI is better on offense than I gave them credit for and their time of possession limited the Huskers. Great game plan really by them. Really good FCS team. Played extremely hard. Coached very well. Huskers did what they needed and the only question was how much we win by. Does that translate to next week? We'll see.
I think if we are gonna point to something to be upset about it would be the tackling. Not the numbers of guys around the ball, but the after contact yards UNi Rbs were getting.

I’m very satisfied with any W we can get and the score showed a one-sided game. Impressive.

I wanted to see a few things cleaned up, but in many ways it’s better to leave enough on film for coaches to harp on. It will help keep the team humble and hungry to take the next step forward.

Nebraska has won 3 games by controlling inferior teams from start to finish. NU has beaten many interior teams during this dry spell, but it's been rare that they looked, crisp, confident, and certain in what they were doing. Hopefully the days of Big Ten opponents wining games simply by waiting for NU to make some critical, mind-boggling mistakes are over.

Everybody loves HH

OL patting him on the helmet, entire crowd roaring for him

Well, everyone except you

Thank you HH for leading the drive that covered the spread and made our big boosters a bunch of cash!

Everybody loves HH

OL patting him on the helmet, entire crowd roaring for him

Well, everyone except you

Thank you HH for leading the drive that covered the spread and made our big boosters a bunch of cash!
Stop it. I too found great joy in watching the crowd react to HH. I don’t hate the guy and I am happy for him. I just think he is a terrible QB.

Reactions: bigboxes and wkato
A few things to ponder from the game were the lack of plays by the offense, only 48. Not that it mattered last night, but if better teams hog the ball like NIU did, could be trouble down the road, or maybe it's nothing to worry about.

No punts and only 4 penalties, that's not too bad. There were a lot of flags thrown in a lot of games yesterday, sometimes it seems that it's getting out of control with all these calls.

Solid effort, maybe coming down from the high of last weak was a small factor, but NIU is a pretty salty team, and they have a lot of good players and are coached quite well although they had 9 penalties, hard to win on the road with that many.

Some FG's were made, that's a plus, we'll take it. Illinois should be a very tough game, but that's the way it should be. N

Reactions: OzzyLvr
A few things to ponder from the game were the lack of plays by the offense, only 48. Not that it mattered last night, but if better teams hog the ball like NIU did, could be trouble down the road, or maybe it's nothing to worry about.

No punts and only 4 penalties, that's not too bad. There were a lot of flags thrown in a lot of games yesterday, sometimes it seems that it's getting out of control with all these calls.

Solid effort, maybe coming down from the high of last weak was a small factor, but NIU is a pretty salty team, and they have a lot of good players and are coached quite well although they had 9 penalties, hard to win on the road with that many.

Some FG's were made, that's a plus, we'll take it. Illinois should be a very tough game, but that's the way it should be. N
The number of plays was misleading since the offense had so many chunk plays and drove down the field at will in the 1st half.

Heck, I think UNI would beat Colorado and also Iowa after seeing their offense.
You will see UNI be average at best in the FCS, which is why they beat ST. THOMAS MINNESOTA 17-10. They aren't good but had a great game plan to not get completely embarrassed while having no chance to win, and we kept safeties back all night as that was their only way to score regularly, even though it was annoying to have them average 4 ypc. Backups played a ton on defense, which was great and the only reason to play such a game.

Reactions: Zeke2005
Stop it. I too found great joy in watching the crowd react to HH. I don’t hate the guy and I am happy for him. I just think he is a terrible QB.
He’s looking better in his appearances this year, I think it’s because there is no pressure when he is in. Big difference in mop up duty time vs having to score to win the game.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Agree with you but in reality that performance yesterday (if our best) could be maximum of 8 wins. Yes compared to recent results (20 years) we should be happy. But I think we're better than that with our talent.

I was surprised at Raiola under throwing. The one backshoulder throw was intentional but there was atleast 2 others that would have been huge gains
Dang true freshman with an over 70% completion percentage. How dare he miss 2 passes

Reactions: JOHNNY N
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT