ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers got a walk on and the name should ring a bell Barron Miles Jr...Link inside....

And that’s cool. Two Husker legacies that even played on the same high school...

Chandler High and Hamilton High (Chandler) are actually rivals... Hamilton is 4 miles south of Chandler High on the same road. The rivalry is referred to as the Battle for Arizona Avenue... I see that Miles Jr played at Basha (Chandler) as a freshman but I don't think he played for Hamilton...

Reactions: huskerssalts
Two legacies out of city of Chandler, AZ (Wright/Miles), two Army All Americans out of Gilbert, AZ (T. Robinson, Gates), another legacy in AZ choosing UCLA (Newcombe)... the state seems like pretty fertile ground in some respects for Nebraska connections going back to Javario Burkes, Eric Hagg, Prince Amukamara, and on to Randy Gregory (juco), etc.

Two legacies out of city of Chandler, AZ (Wright/Miles), two Army All Americans out of Gilbert, AZ (T. Robinson, Gates), another legacy in AZ choosing UCLA (Newcombe)... the state seems like pretty fertile ground in some respects for Nebraska connections going back to Javario Burkes, Eric Hagg, Prince Amukamara, and on to Randy Gregory (juco), etc.

Going back even further, Mike Brown, NU's GOAT safety, is from Scottsdale.

After a little research, his dad Barron Miles Sr was a walk on himself for the Huskers and known as one of the Husker best ever CBs. He’s even a part of the CFL Hall of Fame. He is Literally following in his old mans shoes. GBR
I didn't realize that his pops had walked on. He was a stud. If his kid has his kind of football mine, he'll play no matter what his 40 time is.

It has helped that ASU and UA haven’t been great for years and therefore have had lots of coaching turnover. The bad news for recruiting AZ now is ASU’s program seems more solid than ours, even if their coach is nearing great-grandpa years.

Reactions: HominidHusker
It has helped that ASU and UA haven’t been great for years and therefore have had lots of coaching turnover. The bad news for recruiting AZ now is ASU’s program seems more solid than ours, even if their coach is nearing great-grandpa years.

until this season anyways ;)

Yep. That's why I said Arizona in the thread of which states to recruit harder

Reactions: HominidHusker
is there going to be the budget to carry 150 players on the football roster like Frost desries- 65 over the 85 scholarship limit?
that is 65 additional athletes that need to be added to women's sports for title IX purposes

a lot of administrative jobs being eliminated for budgetary reasons

is there going to be the budget to carry 150 players on the football roster like Frost desries- 65 over the 85 scholarship limit?
that is 65 additional athletes that need to be added to women's sports for title IX purposes

Could we ask 60 players to become gender fluid?

I couldnt figure out why there wasnt much on him from any of the recruiting sites... This sorta sheds some light...

Gotta like the kid’s perseverance. We need those “never give up” guys on the team.
Hope he can bounce back and contribute.
I’m curious about where exactly he’s at physically, but if it says he played a little football in the fall he should be pretty good.

To everyone asking about budget issues atnd roster sizes, Frost gets what Frost wants. We know that. The guy is 9-15 here and has the key to the state.

I have to say that I think this walk on business is out of control. Now is not the time to keep adding these guys, look at workouts, all those extra meals. I saw somewhere that our walk on costs us 4 or 500 K a year. Right now that seems to me like a luxury we can't afford.

I have to say that I think this walk on business is out of control. Now is not the time to keep adding these guys, look at workouts, all those extra meals. I saw somewhere that our walk on costs us 4 or 500 K a year. Right now that seems to me like a luxury we can't afford.

Yes - I believe adding 20 walkons has been estimated to add 450-500k in expense + the expenses of having to add an equal # of athletes on the women’s side.

I’m sure Frost knows what he’s doing. Myself, I’ll set back and let him do what he’s doing. I’m sure Moos will step in if we are adding to many walk ons.

Frost gets what he wants. I'm sure they'll find a way around it if it becomes an issue.

To everyone asking about budget issues atnd roster sizes, Frost gets what Frost wants. We know that. The guy is 9-15 here and has the key to the state.

Frost gets what he wants. I'm sure they'll find a way around it if it becomes an issue.

same point twice...someone has it out for Frost. And far as I can seen it’s only jib321 that has a problem with budget issues, Not everyone.

Reactions: timnsun
same point twice...someone has it out for Frost. And far as I can seen it’s only jib321 that has a problem with budget issues, Not everyone.

the people who lost their jobs as part of the initial 10% cuts in athletic administrative positions probably have a problem with budget issues as well - but I'm just guessing

Honestly I didn't read the whole thread. Just think it's good to keep reality in check.

the people who lost their jobs as part of the initial 10% cuts to the athletic program probably have a problem with budget issues as well - but I'm just guessing
They'll get taken care of at the end of the day. I would bet Moos sees that part through.

the people who lost their jobs as part of the initial 10% cuts in athletic administrative positions probably have a problem with budget issues as well - but I'm just guessing

what does any of this have to do with walk ons my man? You are in ever thread doing the same exact crap. Every single thread that’s been locked you are right in there poking the bear and stirring the pot with the same crap over and over again. Every single one.

Reactions: timnsun
Honestly I didn't read the whole thread. Just think it's good to keep reality in check.

there is no reality with your view or opinion. Yes, Scott Frost is 9-15 but so was Jim Harbaugh at Stanford when he went 9-15 his first two seasons and I can name a number of head coaches that have struggled in year 1 and 2 during their first power 5 gigs. Scott Frost and our Huskers will be fine.

Last edited:
what does any of this have to do with walk ons my man? You are in ever thread doing the same exact crap. Every single thread that’s been locked you are right in there poking the bear and stirring the pot with the same crap over and over again. Every single one.

you flat out brought up budget issues!

"And far as I can seen it’s only jib321 that has a problem with budget issues"

adding walkons contributes to budget issues

there has been a significant shortfall in revenue which likely is going to get worse
the athletic program has had to make budgetary cuts - including the elimination of 10% of athletic administration positions

adding 20 walkons adds approximately 450-500K to expenses plus the expense of adding the same number of women's athletes for title ix purposes. -- Moos has already said greatly expanding the roster was going to present challenges even prior to COVID

that is a lot of 40K administrative positions that might have been kept

Last edited:
there is no reality with your view or opinion. Yes, Scott Frost is 9-15 but so was Jim Harbaugh at Stanford when he went 9-15 his first two seasons and I can name a number of head coaches that have struggled in year 1 and 2 during their first power 5 gigs. Scott Frost and our Huskers will be fine.
We're not talking about the same thing lol that poster was talking about added walks on due to budget cuts and if it was smart. All I was saying was that if Frost wants more walks on, they'll figure out a way to clear space for more walks on for him. I agree with you on Frost and the Huskers, golden.

Reactions: huskerssalts
We're not talking about the same thing lol that poster was talking about added walks on due to budget cuts and if it was smart. All I was saying was that if Frost wants more walks on, they'll figure out a way to clear space for more walks on for him. I agree with you on Frost and the Huskers, golden.

fair enough....that 9-15 part through me off a bit my man.

Last edited:
Yes - I believe adding 20 walkons has been estimated to add 450-500k in expense + the expenses of having to add an equal # of athletes on the women’s side.
How much tuition and housing revenue do those walk ons bring in to NU? 50 guys times approximately 30K is roughly 1.5 millionWinking in added revenue. Walk ons don't really cost NU anything.

How much tuition and housing revenue do those walk ons bring in to NU? 50 guys times approximately 30K is roughly 1.5 millionWinking in added revenue. Walk ons don't really cost NU anything.

tuition/housing etc don't fund athletics, athletics fund athletics

adding 20 walkons adds ~ $450K + to the athletic budget
the athletic department had to cut jobs due to revenue shortages - which are going to get worse this year.
each walkon to the football program has to be accompanied by a womens athletic participant or a cut from another men's program

anyone who is paying 30K/yr after scholarships and aid to attend a lower tier academic state school is a fool

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/will-football-roster-climb-to-150-title-ix-presents-a-challenge

Last edited:
tuition/housing etc doesn't fund athletics, athletics fund athletics

adding 20 walkons adds ~ $450K + to the athletic budget
the athletic department had to cut jobs due to revenue shortages - which are going to get worse this year.
each walkon to the football program has to be accompanied by a womens athletic participant or a cut from another men's program

anyone who is paying 30K after scholarships and aid to attend a lower tier academic school is a fool

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/will-football-roster-climb-to-150-title-ix-presents-a-challenge

They're putting a value on some services for walk ons that aren't really causing any more expense to the university. They're adding in 7500 for "post eligibility career advancement". WTF. That's a joke. The staff providing those services to other athletes are already going to be there. I didn't realize that they got a "cost of attendance" stipend like scholarship athletes. That doesn't seem logical. In any case the last time we looked at NU for one of our kids it was going to cost about 30K/year. Fortunately IF they had gone there the academic scholarships would have covered most of it.

The athletic department kicked back a couple of million dollars to the academic side a year or so ago. I don't want to hear any whining about how much walk ons cost NU. That's an easy sell to get donors to kick in to cover expenses for the walk on program. The REAL cost of adding walk ons when you consider the tuition and housing they pay is negligible.

They're putting a value on some services for walk ons that aren't really causing any more expense to the university. They're adding in 7500 for "post eligibility career advancement". WTF. That's a joke. The staff providing those services to other athletes are already going to be there. I didn't realize that they got a "cost of attendance" stipend like scholarship athletes. That doesn't seem logical. In any case the last time we looked at NU for one of our kids it was going to cost about 30K/year. Fortunately IF they had gone there the academic scholarships would have covered most of it.

The athletic department kicked back a couple of million dollars to the academic side a year or so ago. I don't want to hear any whining about how much walk ons cost NU. That's an easy sell to get donors to kick in to cover expenses for the walk on program. The REAL cost of adding walk ons when you consider the tuition and housing they pay is negligible.

“You always have to be on top of the budget numbers,” he (Moos) said. In order to add athletes, “you either have to create more revenue or cut some expenses.

those cut expenses, in part, have been hard working Nebraskans in the athletic department that were let go

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT