ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers 3 point dog to Miami

I always laugh at the "alottment" comments. Most Nebraska fans have bought tickets on the secondary market or straight from the Miami ticket office. Its absurd to think most Nebraska fans in attendance will purchase tickets in Lincoln and then load up their combines for the trek down to Florida.

Nebraska is a national brand with a national fan base. There will be thousands of Red clad fans all over that stadium, and most of them will be from the East Coast.

FYI 3rd Cane when he says "combines" he's talking about a kind of a tractor. ;)

toss up game. Nobody is sure how either team will play and NU has lots of injuries. Miami's at home so they're 3 pt favorites. Sound about right to me. Last year's record means absolutely nothing given graduations (Ameer), injuries, a new staff and new schemes. Toss up game on the road. Hope we win.

BS, What's the matter? Hit a nerve there Mr Make Stuff Up. Nobody said that and you know it. I realize that this team issues but can you just give it a break?

No nerve, I was just amazed by your convenient amnesia.

Not for sure why so many people are making the canes out to be a good orr great team. I don't know what they have done in the past 5 or even 10 years that would scare any competent football team. Yes they have athletes, but they always have and probably always will, but that doesn't necessarily translate to good football.

The only thing that concerns me is our pass defense, it has looked shakey to bad (too much cushion with lack of pass rush and inability to win on deep balls). That doesn't mean we will lose, just that it might be a shootout. If we can get marginally better there, this game won't be close. I'm also excited to see how this team plays on the road.

If we do win, which I think we should, I don't think it will be enough to get into the top 25 which should tell you a lot about how the nation views Miami and playing @ Miami. In fact the only way we do get in the top 25 prior to a win against wisconsin, given we keep winning, is if BYU keeps winning.

No nerve, I was just amazed by your convenient amnesia.
So who has amnesia? Name the damned name of who said Fyfe was going to be the starter or as you like to say "STFU". You're pulling stuff out of your butt now just like your new buddy Tulsa Troll does just to start a pissing match. Name the name.

So who has amnesia? Name the damned name of who said Fyfe was going to be the starter or as you like to say "STFU". You're pulling stuff out of your butt now just like your new buddy Tulsa Troll does just to start a pissing match. Name the name.
Stop trolling with me. Read this thread and see that Suhnami and I have polar opposite positions. I have decided the go to "troll" name calling is simply "anyone who disagrees with me and my buddies."

Back to the topic at hand... the GAME... I see mainly one area of concern that will make or break the outcome of the game: Nebraska's ability to run the ball against a team with big boy athletes. Nebraska was VERY successful at this in last year's game. The O line blew several holes and Ameer was well, Ameer.

Nebraska was clearly successful running the ball against S. Alabama, but this team will have more sizable players on their front 7. If Nebraska is able to establish a steady run game, the Huskers win it. Period. If they aren't able to establish a run game, Nebraska can still win, but it will be a chore. This is why I appreciate the fact that Nebraska's passing game is more sophisticated than in the past. While we'd love to run, run and run.... if a team stonewalls the run, Nebraska has the scheme, receivers and QB that can keep this team in the game. Something that really couldn't be said even during the Osborne years.

Def put money on Miami with that line. Canes are going to win big.

You talk about homerism making people sound stupid and follow it up with that line? Got news for ya, you don't just sound stupid...

I don't really think that, if you read other posts, it was an attempt at humor for Piper. I like Lincoln a lot. Great steaks, Great people!

Not for sure why so many people are making the canes out to be a good orr great team. I don't know what they have done in the past 5 or even 10 years that would scare any competent football team. Yes they have athletes, but they always have and probably always will, but that doesn't necessarily translate to good football.

The only thing that concerns me is our pass defense, it has looked shakey to bad (too much cushion with lack of pass rush and inability to win on deep balls). That doesn't mean we will lose, just that it might be a shootout. If we can get marginally better there, this game won't be close. I'm also excited to see how this team plays on the road.

If we do win, which I think we should, I don't think it will be enough to get into the top 25 which should tell you a lot about how the nation views Miami and playing @ Miami. In fact the only way we do get in the top 25 prior to a win against wisconsin, given we keep winning, is if BYU keeps winning.

Can't argue with that :)

It's going to be a dogfight between two has beens.

Both programs will be back someday. Just not this year.

If you think beating up on small directional school fixes things I think you're about to be disappointed.

But you have no problem basing your ideas of how good Miami is by them beating up an FCS team and a small directional school (and struggled for 30 minutes)?

I merely stated what some had said here in a reply to TT and then you chimed in. Obviously you feel strongly about it. Just like you did in previous months all the way back to last year...

But you have no problem basing your ideas of how good Miami is by them beating up an FCS team and a small directional school (and struggled for 30 minutes)?

I never said Miami was good. I'm saying I think they'll beat Nebraska. Which sucks to say. And my point that seems to have escaped you is that some people act like since we whooped up on S Alabama our woes are fixed.

Things working against Nebraska in this game:
Husker Defense
Miami Defense
Away game
Good opposing QB
Husker offensive line
Mark Banker Defensive Scheme
Husker team speed
Miami athletes
Depth on defense
Playing a power 5 conf foe

Things working for Nebraska:
Tommy Armstrong
Possibly tons of traveling fans

I think Nebraska gets beat, but it's childish to say I'm a bo supporter because I'm realistic of the Huskers' deficiencies. If you think beating up on small directional school fixes things I think you're about to be disappointed.

I never said Miami was good. I'm saying I think they'll beat Nebraska. Which sucks to say. And my point that seems to have escaped you is that some people act like since we whooped up on S Alabama our woes are fixed.

Your point didn't escape me at all. You want to make sure we all don't assume Nebraska will win because of how we beat up on a directional team. Completely agree and understand. But then you mentioned the things that are "working against Nebraska": Miami Defense, Good opposing QB and Miami athletes. They are working against Nebraska based on Miami's first two games....correct? You can't have it both ways.
I'm not chalking this up as a win at all yet. Need to see who is healthy and off suspensions first. But by no means am I giving it to Miami either just based on the first two games they've played.

Tommy is growing into the quarterback i always saw under the rough edges.

No, I was saying it was due to Miami being Miami. I'm not basing it off Miami's 1st 2 games. Maybe Miami is that bad and Nebraska will be the better team. But Nebraska doesn't have a lot going for it in this game IMO. Defense is below avg, offense is about avg, special teams are below avg... And the number one match up is Miami's pretty good QB against our below avg defense and pretty bad secondary.

Tommy has been good, but there have been a bunch of throws that I think would be interceptions against better teams/athletes. We'll see how that plays out over the season.

I am sure I will bet this game...right now I think I would bet Miami but as Saturday gets closer I will probably switch that pick.

Back to the topic at hand... the GAME... I see mainly one area of concern that will make or break the outcome of the game: Nebraska's ability to run the ball against a team with big boy athletes. Nebraska was VERY successful at this in last year's game. The O line blew several holes and Ameer was well, Ameer.

I think last year's game may have been Beck's best design. He used our receivers to help seal their d-line/line backers and left Ameer (or whomever) to beat their corners. Their corners were horrible in run support. Beck recognized they were basically irrelevant and ignored them in the blocking schemes. This year, we don't have Ameer, but I think against JaxSt Newby showed some flashes when he got outside the tackles. Also, I like Moore with the ball is in hands against their corners.
This assumes their corners are still lousy at run support.

I'm surprised that Nebraska is the dog here. I think Miami has more warts than we do, but, really, it's hard to know much at this point.

TA could always beat the lesser teams with lesser athletes, like South Alabama. He needs this game Saturday to take the next step, if he falls flat, absolutely nothing has changed. If he continues to improve and can help us get a big road win, then you can tell us about this QB you are watching grow into the QB you always saw. As of right now, this very second, he has had one great quarter this year against an equal team. Reading anything else from last Saturday's scrimmage would be a mistake IMO.

Just so your facts are straight....Florida Atlantic is not an FCS team, has a very good offense, was playing the biggest game in school history and Miami won by 24. Look, Miami is not a great team by any means but you should at least do your homework, eh?

Just so your facts are straight....Florida Atlantic is not an FCS team, has a very good offense, was playing the biggest game in school history and Miami won by 24. Look, Miami is not a great team by any means but you should at least do your homework, eh?

Pretty sure he was referring to Bethune-Cookman as the FCS school and FAU as the "small directional school" (although I'm not sure Atlantic is a direction). As a reaction to our own poster calling Georgia Southern a "small directional school."

Bad line. We beat them pretty good last year and the consensus is that we are better now. I don't see the Hurricanes being any better than last year. They looked fairly pathetic against a bad FAU team and are ranked 41st in the country.

I don't know that I would say we beat them pretty good last year. The fumble return for the touchdown in the 3rd quarter was pretty much the difference in the game. From what I have seen so far of our pass rush and pass defense so far, Kaaya could have a big day. To me the the line of Miami -3 is right on the money. Riley has been pretty good as a road dog as a coach and I think it should be an close entertaining game. I think I will wait and see what the over/under line is and if it is about 66 I would take the overs.

may not be aN FCS team but they do not have a good offense sorry - this is the same program we beat 55-7 last year and they have not won a game in seven straight games
NU is the only of the two that has played a teams with a pulse and we lost that game

TA could always beat the lesser teams with lesser athletes, like South Alabama. He needs this game Saturday to take the next step, if he falls flat, absolutely nothing has changed. If he continues to improve and can help us get a big road win, then you can tell us about this QB you are watching grow into the QB you always saw. As of right now, this very second, he has had one great quarter this year against an equal team. Reading anything else from last Saturday's scrimmage would be a mistake IMO.

Tommy played very well for 3 plus quarters against BYU. He had about 10 minutes of bad play. And that was corrected after halftime. When a Husker shows heart and is battling i'll always give him the benefit of the doubt.

TA might not be a finished product, but you seem to be discounting or forgetting alot of games that TA has won the past 2+ seasons (including this Miami team last season). It's not like he has only beaten the Georgia Southerns of the world. He has also won road games at Michigan, PSU and Iowa and played solid in Bowl games against Georgia and USC (which were both like road games).

Reactions: SDhusker12
No, I was saying it was due to Miami being Miami. I'm not basing it off Miami's 1st 2 games. Maybe Miami is that bad and Nebraska will be the better team. But Nebraska doesn't have a lot going for it in this game IMO. Defense is below avg, offense is about avg, special teams are below avg... And the number one match up is Miami's pretty good QB against our below avg defense and pretty bad secondary.
See now you just lost your credibility. You are basing your reasons why Nebraska will lose this game based on the first two games. But somehow Miami gets the win because "they are Miami"? You mean this Miami?:

2010 7-6 (3-5)
2011 6-6 (3-5)
2012 7-5 (5-3)
2013 9-4 (5-3)
2014 6-7 (3-5)

Well my homework was done just fine. Bethune-Cookman is the FCS school. I wouldn't want to admit playing them either so you can have a pass on calling me out on that.

Pretty sure he was referring to Bethune-Cookman as the FCS school and FAU as the "small directional school" (although I'm not sure Atlantic is a direction). As a reaction to our own poster calling Georgia Southern a "small directional school."

Having lived in Florida, I can assure you "Atlantic" is a direction. You don't say East or West, you say Panhandle, Atlantic or Gulf when giving locations. I think they just ran out of directions to use....South Florida, Central Florida, Florida International - no idea where that comes from! (South Alabama is who we played headcard....not Georgia Southern btw)

Reactions: headcard
Not sure how you came up with that. The game is close to a sellout and not all of Husker allotment was sold......

Soooooo, in your expert opinion, you are stating that Nebraska will have over 35k people in the stands at a minimum?

You see, this is the type of homerism that makes people sound stupid. Just like one of your other posters who said, "who would go to Miami, it's in the Ghetto." LOL

Miami has its problems getting people to games but this one is an exception. As was FSU last year and every big game, every year.

You see sir, Miami has a very fickle fan base and there is quite a bit to do in Miami if you have ever visited. Miami is used to winning and does not support mediocrity.

Now, when we were ripping off 50 game win streaks, we still never had more than 30k in the stands for cupcake games. There is just more to do than picking corn out of a cow's a$$.

Good luck Saturday, here's to no injuries for either team! And you are some good drugs if you think this will feel like a Nebraska home game.

This game is farging huge for a very wounded brand. South Florida will turn out.
C'mon, man. Lighten up.

I used to live in Coral Gables. I'd go back. Great place. (FWIW, I've lived all over the world. I live in Colorado now.)

On the lots to do front, you can shove it. You could put South Beach, Lincoln Road, Palm Beach, the rest of the state of Florida, Disney World AND Disneyland, the entire state of California, New York City, and 10 Playboy mansions in Lincoln AND NOT EVEN PUT A DENT IN THE SELL OUT STREAK (342 and counting, I believe). If you actually went to Lincoln for a game and didn't absorb that about the place, then you weren't paying attention. Hell, ticket prices would probably quadruple if we just had South Florida's population.

We poor Nebraskans are so bored we just wander into the stadium to kill time. What an a$$.

Here's to no injuries, though.

GBR!

See now you just lost your credibility. You are basing your reasons why Nebraska will lose this game based on the first two games. But somehow Miami gets the win because "they are Miami"? You mean this Miami?:

2010 7-6 (3-5)
2011 6-6 (3-5)
2012 7-5 (5-3)
2013 9-4 (5-3)
2014 6-7 (3-5)

I'm just glad I had credibility to lose :) Record is irrelevant. I already stated the Miami I was basing it on.

I'm just glad I had credibility to lose :) Record is irrelevant. I already stated the Miami I was basing it on.

I know it rarely plays out this way....but the team that showed up vs BYU will beat the team that showed up vs FAU. I think Kaaya against our secondary is a legit concern...but outside of that, Miami looked completely mediocre. Maybe that will be enough for Miami to win....but I think we will be able to put up some points on their defense.

Well my homework was done just fine. Bethune-Cookman is the FCS school. I wouldn't want to admit playing them either so you can have a pass on calling me out on that.

Having lived in Florida, I can assure you "Atlantic" is a direction. You don't say East or West, you say Panhandle, Atlantic or Gulf when giving locations. I think they just ran out of directions to use....South Florida, Central Florida, Florida International - no idea where that comes from! (South Alabama is who we played headcard....not Georgia Southern btw)

Nice Catch!

I don't know that I would say we beat them pretty good last year. The fumble return for the touchdown in the 3rd quarter was pretty much the difference in the game. From what I have seen so far of our pass rush and pass defense so far, Kaaya could have a big day. To me the the line of Miami -3 is right on the money. Riley has been pretty good as a road dog as a coach and I think it should be an close entertaining game. I think I will wait and see what the over/under line is and if it is about 66 I would take the overs.
Eh...we had 343 yards rushing last year. Anytime you control the line of scrimmage like that you are kicking the other team pretty good. We had a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter...they cut it to ten points with cheapy TD with 18 seconds left. We kicked them pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cornicator
I really hope we pull out this win. Miami hasn't impressed me at all this season, but at the same time they been extremely vanilla on both sides of the ball. Gotta think they have some plays up there sleeves. It's gonna be close and I think Miami will get us this time. Tommy Armstrong has to play smart. He has had 2 fantastic games so far. If he continues to make smart decisions then we win. But he has to show me he can be smart with the ball on the road. Something he has struggled with in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT