ADVERTISEMENT

Husker offense

Don't look back....You're not going that way.

I get the love affair with the past. I believe too many people put more credence in the offense than they do in the man who ran that offense. Many coaches in that time frame ran an offense similar to what Osborne ran, none of them shared the success that Osborne did. Secondly, Osborne has said on a few occasions that if he stayed in coaching, his offense would have morphed into a version similar to what Kelly and Frost ran at Oregon.

That underdog mentality is what is going to be the end of Nebraska football as we knew. We're a small state, no one will come here, hard work beats talent, all the excuses.

Pick the offense you will run, recruit the best players to that offense, teach and develop the players, run the offense. It doesn't matter if it is wing T or Fun and Gun, commit to it and go.
This is what really solid HS programs do and guess what, it works.

Bad teams run plays, good teams run an offense.

Frost's offense is really just fine (TO's and penalties kill it at times).

Reactions: OzzyLvr
That seems to be the common thinking but the reality is this team can't even get to .500 ball. Something is terribly wrong if it continues. The longer it continues in this direction, the more difficult it is going to be to get players to come and turn it around.

So, I will ask you, what is the definition of "winning?" What is it going to take to wake up the recruits and convince them there is something going on in the formerly dead program?
We have to show recruits we are trending upward during this ground up rebuild.

My specific definition of ‘winning more’ during this ground up rebuild would be something like this:
1) Win the games you’re favored to win in convincing fashion
2) Win some games ‘The Experts’ didn’t expect you to
3) Show that you belonged on the same field as the team that beat you. Play hard and smart. If the other team had way more talent and/or was more physical and wore you down by the 4th quarter that is understandable. I can’t stand it when we don’t show up and the game is over after the 1st quarter. That is a trend that started after TO retired. Gotten even worse during Callahan, Pelini, and Riley eras.

Frost and Co have to change this or eventually we’ll have to find someone else that can. I’m not advocating for this to happen now since a revolving door of coaches have hurt program stability but progress has to be made each year.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT