ADVERTISEMENT

Husker MBB thoughts after weekend games.

Huskers_Rule

All-American
Jul 11, 2001
I'll start with the short list of disappointments.

1. White III - he's no where near the best player on the team, best shooter yes but his ball handling skills aren't very good. It seems he is a role player, hit the open 3 and try to rebound.

Positives:
1. McVeigh - after Shields the best all around player on team. Can shoot, pass, drive and smart defensively. Sure he needs to get stronger and will get a lot better as a result.
2. Watson Jr. - Not phased by competition and plays with confidence. I was a little surprised how quick his hands are, he will get a lot more steals that I imagined. I still don't like the form on his shot but he shouldn't be shooting too many 3s. He has great vision and passing skills as expected.
3. Hammond - Played VERY well - relative to his prior play - over the weekend and a big boost in terms of expectations. We showed much better defense over the weekend as well. I wish we had the depth to start Hammond and Morrow at the 4.
4. Jacobson - Nice physical player but more impressively he a smart player and excellent shooter. Future looks bright for him.
5. Morrow - he hasn't shown as much as expected but I love the energy he plays with. He'll clearly be our most consistent rebounder over time. His points will be limited to garbage points and free throws but that's fine for this year.
6. Webster - the lights are finally starting to come on for this kid and happy to see it. I still don't think he will be a consistent shooter with that hitch in his shot but he has always been able to drive to the basket. If he continues to play the way he did this weekend it will be a HUGE boost.

In summary the freshmen have all looked promising and some of the hold overs have improved significantly. This team is a lot more fun to watch because they pass and share the ball, especially when McVeigh is playing. They will get killed on the boards all year - can't imagine them against Purdue - but if Miles can get a couple of big men soon much brighter days are ahead.

No mention of Shields? He's The man this year with White being a disappointment. I see why Miles pushed Shields at media days with barely a mention of White.

This team is playing tough and getting better. Miami will be a big test Tuesday, but the future looks bright.

White a disappointment? His presence opened up the lane for Webster because he is a legit outside threat we needed last year so badly.

6 games in after a transfer year when he's been the leading scorer I think 3 times, and second I think twice, and he's a disappointment?

How crazy of Miles to not brag about a player who never played an official game for him before the year started.

Take White off this team and we are in a boat load of trouble.

Last edited:
White a disappointment? His presence opened up the lane for Webster because he is a legit outside threat we needed last year so badly.

6 games in after a transfer year when he's been the leading scorer I think 3 times, and second I think twice, and he's a disappointment?

How crazy of Miles to not brag about a player who never played an official game for him before the year started.

Yep, we don't have White, we are in deep kimchee.

The non-conference schedule should provide some form of confidence builder for the young team.......They do have Miami, Rhode Island and Creighton left, so keeping fingers crossed they can win 2 out of the 3. The BIG is just brutal in basketball........

I will say this.....this team seems to be happier sharing the ball which was a big issue last year......

Reactions: newAD
Yep. White is a key difference maker and Shields game continues to grow. They are 1 and 1A in terms of importance to the team.

I am also impressed with the basketball savvy of McVeigh and Jacobson, but those guys won't be stars in their career. Morrow has a VERY bright future. He has a power 5 body already and can't wait to see him as a junior or senior. We've been waiting for a big body to bang and he will be that guy.

I like Watson's game, but he will need to mature and figure out when to create for others vs. creating for himself. He is a nice spark for the team, but he will need to mature (which I expect he will.)

This team is already way better than last year's version, and you're finally starting to see what a Miles team looks like. He had to ride the hot hand (or hope it was hot) of Petteway as that was the only chance to compete in the last two years, but now that the shoot-first attitude has left, you're seeing a team play like I expected.

Future of Husker hoops is very bright and I scoff at the "fans" who were already calling for Miles' head after last year's campaign.

Yep. White is a key difference maker and Shields game continues to grow. They are 1 and 1A in terms of importance to the team.

I am also impressed with the basketball savvy of McVeigh and Jacobson, but those guys won't be stars in their career. Morrow has a VERY bright future. He has a power 5 body already and can't wait to see him as a junior or senior. We've been waiting for a big body to bang and he will be that guy.

I like Watson's game, but he will need to mature and figure out when to create for others vs. creating for himself. He is a nice spark for the team, but he will need to mature (which I expect he will.)

This team is already way better than last year's version, and you're finally starting to see what a Miles team looks like. He had to ride the hot hand (or hope it was hot) of Petteway as that was the only chance to compete in the last two years, but now that the shoot-first attitude has left, you're seeing a team play like I expected.

Future of Husker hoops is very bright and I scoff at the "fans" who were already calling for Miles' head after last year's campaign.
Most Husker fans may not agree with me on this one, but I see Shields upside as limited. He's a solid player, but unless he becomes more consistent with his jump shot and using his left hand more I see him being as good as he can become in my opinion.

I agree on McVeigh. He has been a really pleasant surprise contributor this early in his career.

The non-conference schedule should provide some form of confidence builder for the young team.......They do have Miami, Rhode Island and Creighton left, so keeping fingers crossed they can win 2 out of the 3. The BIG is just brutal in basketball........

I will say this.....this team seems to be happier sharing the ball which was a big issue last year......

Creighton game scares me big time. They just slapped W. Illinois last night, and that may not sound like much, but they knocked off Wisky, so they are no slouch. Plus CU just won a tourney in Vegas, so they are on a roll since losing to Indiana. Their 7 foot center has played pretty well lately.

Most Husker fans may not agree with me on this one, but I see Shields upside as limited. He's a solid player, but unless he becomes more consistent with his jump shot and using his left hand more I see him being as good as he can become in my opinion.

I agree on McVeigh. He has been a really pleasant surprise contributor this early in his career.
Maybe Shields' upside is limited as far as the NBA is concerned but I'll take a 15 PT, 6 board 2-3 assist guy all day. Plus when the team needs a hoop, he is fearless to take it to the rack to get a bucket or fouled. He's actually one of my favorite Husker hoops guys in years.

Reactions: nwualum
Maybe Shields' upside is limited as far as the NBA is concerned but I'll take a 15 PT, 6 board 2-3 assist guy all day. Plus when the team needs a hoop, he is fearless to take it to the rack to get a bucket or fouled. He's actually one of my favorite Husker hoops guys in years.
He's going to have to change his game this year. With the focus on ticky tack fouls he's already shown an early tendency to pick up a few quick fouls this season. That could hurt us come conference play.

I agree that his production is welcome. I just don't think we'll see much more from him.

Disagree big time on Webster. He did have a nice weekend, but he had been awful before that. Plays with no control, and thinks he is better than he is. I agree with the other assessments. Starting to get some good players. Need a big, and this could be a dancin team. Man it feels good to say that.

I think Tai has turned the corner and is going to have a good season.

Why won't McVeigh be a star? I think he is really, really, really good. He has size and length, can shoot it, and has some really good back-to-the-basket moves. He's also a pretty damn good defender.

Disagree big time on Webster. He did have a nice weekend, but he had been awful before that. Plays with no control, and thinks he is better than he is. I agree with the other assessments. Starting to get some good players. Need a big, and this could be a dancin team. Man it feels good to say that.
As bad as Webster has been at times, he can do things no one else on this team can do, getting to the hoop most notably. He's also a really good passer and probably our best defender when he's not getting screwed by the refs who, for some reason, seem to target him with horrific ticky-tack calls. He was AMAZING this weekend. The talent is absolutely there.

Reactions: nwualum
I'm so stoked for this team. Great TEAM basketball being played. I see players without ego, I see players making the extra pass. I believe this team and the future is so bright. Tim Miles let's lock him up for another 10 years and pay the man 3 mill a year. I truly believe he will make us a consistent top 4 big ten team. With regular double post season wins.

As bad as Webster has been at times, he can do things no one else on this team can do, getting to the hoop most notably. He's also a really good passer and probably our best defender when he's not getting screwed by the refs who, for some reason, seem to target him with horrific ticky-tack calls. He was AMAZING this weekend. The talent is absolutely there.

I don't disagree with the assessment, but most of the time when he gets to the rack he bangs it off the backboard or is stuffed. The talent may be there, but he has no consistency and hasn't ever turned the corner. Hopefully the kid keeps it up. I hope he does because it only makes us that much better.

What has he provided other than a great outside shot? He can't handle the basketball and is turnover prone. Miles said it himself last season, that White has to learn to be able to put the ball on the floor and he may have improved but he still falls well short of what I thought a top 50 recruit to Kansas would be able to do. So don't listen to me, listen to Miles. He's a role player, an important role for this team to be sure but he doesn't have an all around game that matches the hype. You can have White on your fantasy team and I'll take McVeigh who has a MUCH better all around game even as a weak true freshman.

I guess I had higher expectations of him than simply opening up the floor and hitting the 3 and isn't that the definition of a role player?

I don't disagree with the assessment, but most of the time when he gets to the rack he bangs it off the backboard or is stuffed. The talent may be there, but he has no consistency and hasn't ever turned the corner. Hopefully the kid keeps it up. I hope he does because it only makes us that much better.

Finishing is a normal adjustment for a young player, hopefully it has just taken him longer. He has the physical tools but has suffered on the mental side knowing how to let the game come to him. I think his defense is greatly improved and you can't doubt his ability to drive to the basket.

Finishing is a normal adjustment for a young player, hopefully it has just taken him longer. He has the physical tools but has suffered on the mental side knowing how to let the game come to him. I think his defense is greatly improved and you can't doubt his ability to drive to the basket.

I want him to be good, but what good does it do us with him getting to the rack and turning it over.. Like i said, I want him to keep it up and be awesome.. A couple of those early games, with Nova being the worst, he looked bad and way out of control. He's not young anymore, and needs to show what he has. I think if he keeps it up, and we get a few of the youngsters to get it rolling we will do ok in the B1G this year. Conference is down and we will have some opportunity.

What has he provided other than a great outside shot? He can't handle the basketball and is turnover prone. Miles said it himself last season, that White has to learn to be able to put the ball on the floor and he may have improved but he still falls well short of what I thought a top 50 recruit to Kansas would be able to do. So don't listen to me, listen to Miles. He's a role player, an important role for this team to be sure but he doesn't have an all around game that matches the hype. You can have White on your fantasy team and I'll take McVeigh who has a MUCH better all around game even as a weak true freshman.

Maybe you are getting White confused with someone else? He is leading the team in FG's and three pointers made. Perhaps you did not watch the team last year but we were in desperate need of someone who could stretch out the defense..and White has done a great job of that thus far. Nor is he a one trick pony...he has shown he has the ability to finish in the lane. Also averaging over 4 rebounds a game. White has 15 turnovers in 163 minutes...I wouldnt exactly call him "turnover prone" with those numbers. I'm not really sure what you were expecting us to get in White...someone who scored 20+ a game?

I guess I had higher expectations of him than simply opening up the floor and hitting the 3 and isn't that the definition of a role player?

He has just as many 2pt field goals as he does 3 pointers? I'm not sure where you are getting this idea that White only stands at the three point line and does not do anything else.

If you had not read or watched Nebraska before this last weekend, you would have thought that TW was the main man or number two man on the team. Crazy ain't it? My friends that went to the games back east, were asking me how he had such a poor ppg. I had to show them some clips. They were very high on him before I showed them. Hope that he really did turn the corner, They were not full court pressed much this weekend.

Reactions: leodisflowers
To be honest, this team is WAY ahead of where I thought they would be at this point in the season. Look at all the newcomers and freshman. They play great team ball and should continue to improve. They would be last year's team by 20 points in a head to head match-up. I think White has played well and will get better. Tai really impressed me this weekend-- he just needs to play consistently. I thought Hammond would never be more than a garbage time player and he has improved tremendously. I love watching this team play together and develop.

Reactions: frankluv
Maybe you are getting White confused with someone else? He is leading the team in FG's and three pointers made. Perhaps you did not watch the team last year but we were in desperate need of someone who could stretch out the defense..and White has done a great job of that thus far. Nor is he a one trick pony...he has shown he has the ability to finish in the lane. Also averaging over 4 rebounds a game. White has 15 turnovers in 163 minutes...I wouldnt exactly call him "turnover prone" with those numbers. I'm not really sure what you were expecting us to get in White...someone who scored 20+ a game?

The proof is in the pudding, Miles pulled him out of the games this past weekend a couple of
He has just as many 2pt field goals as he does 3 pointers? I'm not sure where you are getting this idea that White only stands at the three point line and does not do anything else.

We've only played what 3 legitimate D1 schools right? Right now who do you take for the next 3 years White or McVeigh? I'll take the latter for his all around ability, he makes my team much better. For that matter I'll take Morrow over White and Watson over White. Again not saying White doesn't make our team better, he absolutely does with his GREAT outside shooting.

If you watched the games this weekend you saw White get pulled for poor play even with Shields in foul trouble. He was hurting the team and was properly yanked, it was NOT for a breather.

The proof is in the pudding, Miles pulled him out of the games this past weekend a couple of

We've only played what 3 legitimate D1 schools right? Right now who do you take for the next 3 years White or McVeigh? I'll take the latter for his all around ability, he makes my team much better. For that matter I'll take Morrow over White and Watson over White. Again not saying White doesn't make our team better, he absolutely does with his GREAT outside shooting.

If you watched the games this weekend you saw White get pulled for poor play even with Shields in foul trouble. He was hurting the team and was properly yanked, it was NOT for a breather.

What's with our obsession with comparing McVeigh to White? You do realize we have both and both can play at the same time if need be....right? If you are asking me right now with their current skill level who I would take the next three years...then I would say without a doubt it would be White. 1. He is bigger. 2. More athletic. 3. To this point a better shooter.

So the whole basis of your argument is that Miles agrees with you(doubtful he does)...because he got pulled for poor play this weekend? Did you really actually watch the games? White played 28 minutes vs Cinci...that was more than anyone but Benny Parker. What about that pudding again? Vs UTenn he played 26 minutes and went 6-10 from the field. Is that poor? If Miles was upset with White's play vs Cinci...he sure has a weird way in showing it letting him play 28 minutes which is the second most on the year for White.

Against the 3 "legitimate" teams we have played thus far this year...

Nova- 18 points, 6 boards, 6-11 FG, 3-5 3PT, 2 TO's

Cinci- 8 points, 5 boards, 2-10 FG, 2-5 3PT, 4 TO's

Tenn- 15 points, 4 boards, 6-10 FG, 3-4 3PT, 0 TO's

If White has been a dissapointment it's only because in your mind you made him out to be some All American. BTW, if you want to talk about "proof is in the pudding"....if you need a reminder, Miles has chosen White to start over McVeigh.

The guy averaged 2.2 and 2.4 points in his 2 years at KU. Through what 6 games he is averaging 14.9. I think you are being just a tad bit rough on him, or have completely unrealistic expectations.

I have two boys playing different levels of HS basketball. I'd be thrilled if they could be a role player who scores 15 points a game.

White left KU so he'd get to play. How about we let the kid play a season before saying he's a disappointment.

@Husker_Rule --- first time watching basketball? White is a stud and a team player. Sometimes in basketball players have off days, overall he's one of the best on the team.

I really don't understand the White critique here. I agree he was off this weekend but he does a lot more than just shoot open threes. First of all, he's not just a spot-up shooter. He's hit some really off-balance and off-the-dribble threes which is something that is very difficult for most players. I also don't think he's that bad off the dribble. He's gotten stripped a few times but he's definitely shown an ability to finish at the rack as well, and against good competition. I mean, did anyone watch the Villinova game???? Finally, he's our most athletic and physically-imposing player which has made him a good defender and an excellent rebounder.

I'll start with the short list of disappointments.

1. White III - he's no where near the best player on the team, best shooter yes but his ball handling skills aren't very good. It seems he is a role player, hit the open 3 and try to rebound. False(Only in the "No where near" comment)

Positives:
1. McVeigh - after Shields the best all around player on team. Can shoot, pass, drive and smart defensively. Sure he needs to get stronger and will get a lot better as a result.
2. Watson Jr. - Not phased by competition and plays with confidence. I was a little surprised how quick his hands are, he will get a lot more steals that I imagined. I still don't like the form on his shot but he shouldn't be shooting too many 3s. He has great vision and passing skills as expected.
3. Hammond - Played VERY well - relative to his prior play - over the weekend and a big boost in terms of expectations. We showed much better defense over the weekend as well. I wish we had the depth to start Hammond and Morrow at the 4.
4. Jacobson - Nice physical player but more impressively he a smart player and excellent shooter. Future looks bright for him.
5. Morrow - he hasn't shown as much as expected but I love the energy he plays with. He'll clearly be our most consistent rebounder over time. His points will be limited to garbage points and free throws but that's fine for this year.
6. Webster - the lights are finally starting to come on for this kid and happy to see it. I still don't think he will be a consistent shooter with that hitch in his shot but he has always been able to drive to the basket. If he continues to play the way he did this weekend it will be a HUGE boost.

In summary the freshmen have all looked promising and some of the hold overs have improved significantly. This team is a lot more fun to watch because they pass and share the ball, especially when McVeigh is playing. They will get killed on the boards all year - can't imagine them against Purdue - but if Miles can get a couple of big men soon much brighter days are ahead.

No mention of Shields? He's The man this year with White being a disappointment. I see why Miles pushed Shields at media days with barely a mention of White.

1. White III - he's no where near the best player on the team, best shooter yes but his ball handling skills aren't very good. It seems he is a role player, hit the open 3 and try to rebound. False(Only in the "No where near" comment)

Uh oh! McVeigh just got pulled and his ass reamed by Miles for lackluster defense. I thought Miles only did that to White....

I agree with what you say except for white, would have won the Miami game if they had gotten the ball to white, especially in the overtime. the kid needs the ball and he needs to score. shields needs to share the ball.

OP must have thought we were getting Andrew Wiggins from KU. AW III is doing well and I think he will only get better as the season progresses. Good write up about him in the OWH today.

Like the future with watson, mcveigh, morrow, white. Need to find a legit scoring threat inside though. I think this is an NIT team

Didn't get to listen to the game today. White had 30 of the 73 points? 14 of 16 at line and 7 boards. Hope no one is disappointed in him.

Tia Webster is the story. He is a difference maker and becoming much more consistence. He's finding his role, drive and distribute or score. Then rebound and play defense. He made an NBA move today. He split the double team on the left wing free throw line extended on a drive to the hoop and scored. I said wow out loud and I'm hard to impress.

Curious Hammond didn't start or come in until late in the first half. Like to know why that was, he's been playing so much better defensively.

White has impressed me with his defensive hands, he's had a number of good steals. He's helping on the boards and taking good shots, not forcing anything. Of course his shot is pure, we knew that. Still not happy with his ball handling skills but I am forgetting he hasn't played many games despite this being his third year.

Still waiting for Morrow to relax a little. He gets a rebound and is like a jack rabbit going right back up when maybe a pivot first would allow him to go up stronger with better balance. He'll come around real soon I would expect. He took the bait today on at least 3 head fakes inside, which to me is the same problem, just needs to relax a little.

Watson should be starting soon, Parker is turning it over more and isn't getting as many steals as before. I assume Watson's defense is the issue and coach may know best but won't surprise me if Watson is in there soon.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Any doubts creeping in yet about White III? Yea he played great against the Bluejays but today was a representative game against the best teams we have played thus far. A major disappointment still to me. He had critical ball handling turnovers at the end.

Miles better get it together and start Watson sooner than later. Defense is the reason he isn't now but his value outweighs any defensive liability. Bennie is confused and not playing the role he played in the past. They had him practice shooting so much - no not a bad thing - that it seems he forgets where his strengths and real value to the team is and that is playing lights out D and getting steals. He played terrible today outside of the 3 point shot at the end. I only wish Webster saw that shot and took it to heart. Webster is glue when reversing the ball and he has an open 3. Webster's problem remains in his head. He has almost zero basketball IQ, twice today he drove against 3-4 guys. He can't consistently let the plays come to him, instead he consistently forces plays and not smart plays at that. Hard to give up on an athlete like him though, his physical skills are top line. Yet compare him to a player like Watson who has a really high basketball IQ and a fraction of Webster's physical abilities.

Jacobson is the steal of the freshman class clearly. I could tell from the first shot I saw him take the kid can flat out shoot. He has great form on his shot and visible confidence when shooting it. He also showed today some good moves around the basket, a really good 4 playing out of position. It's not clear what Hammond has done to merit reduced playing time outside of Jacobson taking his minutes, as well as Morrow's. I would like to see more of Hammond at the 5 and Jacobson and Morrow at the 4. White would sit with this line up and spell Shields depending on the match-ups.

There were several times today where it felt like last year with only one or two players being a threat. They just passed the ball until Shields got it to force a drive, that changed with Watson in the game.

I do have to give Miles credit for adjusting lineups to find what would work.

I think MIles indicated that Hammond is battling an injury that is limiting his effectiveness.

Any doubts creeping in yet about White III? Yea he played great against the Bluejays but today was a representative game against the best teams we have played thus far. A major disappointment still to me. He had critical ball handling turnovers at the end.

Miles better get it together and start Watson sooner than later. Defense is the reason he isn't now but his value outweighs any defensive liability. Bennie is confused and not playing the role he played in the past. They had him practice shooting so much - no not a bad thing - that it seems he forgets where his strengths and real value to the team is and that is playing lights out D and getting steals. He played terrible today outside of the 3 point shot at the end. I only wish Webster saw that shot and took it to heart. Webster is glue when reversing the ball and he has an open 3. Webster's problem remains in his head. He has almost zero basketball IQ, twice today he drove against 3-4 guys. He can't consistently let the plays come to him, instead he consistently forces plays and not smart plays at that. Hard to give up on an athlete like him though, his physical skills are top line. Yet compare him to a player like Watson who has a really high basketball IQ and a fraction of Webster's physical abilities.

Jacobson is the steal of the freshman class clearly. I could tell from the first shot I saw him take the kid can flat out shoot. He has great form on his shot and visible confidence when shooting it. He also showed today some good moves around the basket, a really good 4 playing out of position. It's not clear what Hammond has done to merit reduced playing time outside of Jacobson taking his minutes, as well as Morrow's. I would like to see more of Hammond at the 5 and Jacobson and Morrow at the 4. White would sit with this line up and spell Shields depending on the match-ups.

There were several times today where it felt like last year with only one or two players being a threat. They just passed the ball until Shields got it to force a drive, that changed with Watson in the game.

I do have to give Miles credit for adjusting lineups to find what would work.
Yeah he scored 28 vs Creighton but derpy derp derp! I think one thing is clear..and its that your basketball knowledge is lacking. That or White stole your wife. This coming from the guy who said he would take McVeigh over White....Bwahaha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT