ADVERTISEMENT

How does college athletics look in 2 to 5 years?

He’s widely regarded as one of the best OL coaches on the planet

His career after NU carried on with few or no gaps

Bo got fired, went home, got fired again and will never see another sideline

That’s what I meant when I said Callahan is a “better coach in general”
Makes sense. No doubting his line coaching.

Reactions: king_kong_
Frost's best years were with Riley's guys. Left the cupboard bare, lol.

Frost may have lost close games vs Riley's blowout losses (except for Frost vs 2018-Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue. 2019-Ohio St, Minnesota, Wisconsin. 2020-Ohio St, Illinois AND Riley vs 2015-BYU, Miami(FL), Illinois, Wisconsin, NW, Iowa. 2016-Wisconsin. 2017- Oregon, N. Illinois, NW), but at least Riley actually won games.

I'm not sure how winning fewer games = being a better coach than your predecessor?
Riley's best year was anchored by Bo's guys, which included a QB who was 15-5 in 20 starts prior to Riley stepping foot in Lincoln

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
His handling of the ‘media’ was expert and perfect, and he’s the best actual ‘coach’ we’ve had since Osborne. Hands Down.
Last press conference I probably watched was during the Pelini era. He could at least be entertaining.

Last press conference I probably watched was during the Pelini era. He could at least be entertaining.
Have nothing but respect for those who troll and trash the ‘media’. Motherf*ckers…

Riley's best year was anchored by Bo's guys, which included a QB who was 15-5 in 20 starts prior to Riley stepping foot in Lincoln
Yup. Just like Bo's best years were with Callahan guys and Frost's best years were with Riley's guys.

Both stunk, but Riley still >>> Frost.

i believe if the ncaa gets its way with some sort of regulated pay-to-play by universities to players, the college game may survive as we know it today.

but if it remains a free-for-all with texas oil money pitted against nebraska corn, kansas wheat, and iowa hogs, then i don't hold much hope for the future.

Reactions: 250vertical
When I think of the recent past and I harken back to the epic 9 win season by Mike Riley I just can't say much. Would have won the division but lost to Wisconsin in overtime. Went 9-3 in regular season and lost in the Music City Bowl to Tennessee. I have no memory of that game. Not much later we wanted to put Riley in the stockade.
Hard to believe we despised his performance as much as we did. For the love of God the man won a bowl game.
Problem is, he wasn't that bad, but he wasnt that good either.
4-8 the next season after his 9-4 season.

Reactions: Husker1078
Riley could coach circles around Frost.
I guess except for those games in 2013 and 14 when Riley, (who was in his 14th and 15th season as HC at OSU, and Banker who was in his 12 and 13th season as DC at OSU), couldn't keep the 1st and 2nd-year play-caller's offense from hanging 36 and 49 points on them???

saw the minnesota coach went to mich st, made me think of this. also, this is why i try not to get excited about any coach or player, they are just going to leave anyway.

I’m losing interest in College Football - which I used to LOVE. When you have the NIL kids driving around in Lambo’s (Sanders kids among others) and other kids on the teams just getting by.

You have QB’s entering the portal that previously schools recruited based on the schools education/reputation/coach/facilities/etc. And now it’s just a bidding war. So somebody gets an NFL caliber QB because of $ and you’re supposed to feel “proud” about it. So some specific schools can load up on talent because they have the NIL dollars and then they beat up on schools that don’t have the NIL dollars.

Maybe Peyton Manning is available.

I hope it all goes down in flames and you guys get what you want...which is NFL Jr.
It is a farce, it's not about getting an education at a place you've dreamed about and worked hard to go to and the pride of representing that school by participating in athletics.
I know it's hilarious someone could even think that garbage right? How out of touch and moronic. Loser mentality.
I want to see literal kids in grade school being tossed around and used like prostitutes while twitting in Gucci purses and huge gaudy blinged out watches. Highest bidder!
That's the kind of fun reality we all want right coliseum dwellers?
As I've said before, it's been a farce for a long, long time. It's just becoming even more farcical to the general public and fans as NIL, portal xfers, and individualistic greed becomes blatantly apparent.

i believe if the ncaa gets its way with some sort of regulated pay-to-play by universities to players, the college game may survive as we know it today.

but if it remains a free-for-all with texas oil money pitted against nebraska corn, kansas wheat, and iowa hogs, then i don't hold much hope for the future.
It - Texas oil - will crush everyone. It's why the commissioners of the ACC, Big 12, SEC, and Big 10 were in Washington DC last week, begging congress to get involved regarding NIL. They want intervention to 'level the playing field.' Imagine that. After two of the conferences stripped the most valuable properties out of the other two, they want a 'level playing field'. Greedy Liars. Listen to Saban. He is terrified of Texas, and to a lesser extent, Texas A&M. The Supreme Court decision unchained those monsters, and an impoverished state like Alabama cannot keep up. These players care less and less about a school as time goes on. They are professionals. "Pay me, and play me, or I will leave." Missouri is going to wind up playing an Ohio st. freshman team.

Reactions: AVeritas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT