ADVERTISEMENT

How did James Williams slip through the cracks?

HUSKERBILL

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2001

I always thought of him as a “late bloomer” and kid who was maybe “decent” in high school but is now emerging in college.

So I checked his stats.

He was First Team All State in Missouri. Senior year he had over 100 tackles, 35 TFLs and 18 Sacks. Those are insane numbers.

So he goes to Iowa Central CC and starts for them and gets 6 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries and 7 TFLs in 11 games as a freshman. He’s the MVP of their bowl game.

College recruiters LOVE length. Pair that with the production numbers he has had at every stop.

How the heck did he slip through the cracks and show up at a summer tryout in Lincoln? Kids like this don’t slip through the cracks anymore.

I always thought of him as a “late bloomer” and kid who was maybe “decent” in high school but is now emerging in college.

So I checked his stats.

He was First Team All State in Missouri. Senior year he had over 100 tackles, 35 TFLs and 18 Sacks. Those are insane numbers.

So he goes to Iowa Central CC and starts for them and gets 6 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries and 7 TFLs in 11 games as a freshman. He’s the MVP of their bowl game.

College recruiters LOVE length. Pair that with the production numbers he has had at every stop.

How the heck did he slip through the cracks and show up at a summer tryout in Lincoln? Kids like this don’t slip through the cracks anymore.
When you look at kids you have to look at the whole picture and not just on the field. Kid had a family issue grade issue ( JC route ) some schools never circle back in recruiting. Kids have and always will slip through the cracks.

My son went to HS with a guy who had multiple low-D1 offers, he decided to go to IWCC to try to prove himself and get to a P5 school. He was on track to get it done before multiple shoulder surgeries. IWCC is legit. Maybe he had bad academics, like really bad?

My son went to HS with a guy who had multiple low-D1 offers, he decided to go to IWCC to try to prove himself and get to a P5 school. He was on track to get it done before multiple shoulder surgeries. IWCC is legit. Maybe he had bad academics, like really bad?
Probably grades and if he didn't take the ACT/SAT schools could not even host him I don't think, maybe that changed after covid.

Reactions: mgbreis
No clue, but did he lose his dad in the last couple years? No mom listed on his bio either. Mentions TN and his girlfriend being all he has left. That stuff makes football, and LIFE very hard to deal with. kudos to him for getting it on track
Yeah, the structure and routine of football provides sort of a surrogate family structure. It’s everything. The camaraderie and sense of belonging are powerful. For a lot of guys, this was the best part of their lives.

That kid was in HS school during Covid and apparently has a far less than stellar family situation. A lot of kids who weren't strong on academics to begin with took a beating wrt academic marks.
It might be incorrect to assume that he had academic issues that caused him to go to a JC. I said at the time that COVID was going to cause a LOT of very talented guys to end up at lower tier programs. Just the lack of camps and travel restrictions really hurt the ability to evaluate talent. He’s on track to make a lot of money playing on Sundays.

No idea what size of a high school he played at but that could affect his offers.

It might be incorrect to assume that he had academic issues that caused him to go to a JC. I said at the time that COVID was going to cause a LOT of very talented guys to end up at lower tier programs. Just the lack of camps and travel restrictions really hurt the ability to evaluate talent. He’s on track to make a lot of money playing on Sundays.

No idea what size of a high school he played at but that could affect his offers.
The first thing that Rhule said about him when asked postgame was "he's doing great in school" or something, kinda led me to wonder about that. Regardless, it's a great story.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The first thing that Rhule said about him when asked postgame was "he's doing great in school" or something, kinda led me to wonder about that. Regardless, it's a great story.
I’m just happy for the guy. Some of us didn’t exactly fulfill our potential in high school. If it wasn’t for a social promotion from an English teacher I probably should have been required to repeat my freshman year. No way did she want me in her class again😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT