ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiskers 2.5 underdog to the Illini

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
The O/U is 137.5

Should be another battle tonight, Illinois doesn’t appear to be as good this year like the past 2 years..
Mizzou beat them badly, but they did have a impressive win against UTerus..

When does the other big come back?

Did he have his ankle amputated or something?

When does the other big come back?

Did he have his ankle amputated or something?
Keita played briefly at Minnesota. But he fumbled a pass and Fred chained him to the bench for the rest of the game.

Still think it's short-sighted to restrict Keita's minutes to the small window when Walker isn't on the court. Walker has expanded his game enough that he and Keita can play together. Not saying Keita should get 30 minutes per game, but limiting him to less than 10 is a waste.

Keita played briefly at Minnesota. But he fumbled a pass and Fred chained him to the bench for the rest of the game.

Still think it's short-sighted to restrict Keita's minutes to the small window when Walker isn't on the court. Walker has expanded his game enough that he and Keita can play together. Not saying Keita should get 30 minutes per game, but limiting him to less than 10 is a waste.
Thanks you beat me to it.. Was sure exactly who he was referring too..

Reactions: king_kong_
Who does SuperBigFan cheer for tonight?
Illini, for sure.

Their 5 star freshmen PG left the team for personal reasons (I think it was because he was playing less and less)

So they don't really have a true PG.

They don't shoot 3's all that well.

They stopped with the switching D and pretty much play straight man now.

They love turning the ball over and suck at FT's...

Nice wins over Texas and UCLA. Bubble team right now but they need to keep winning games that they are favored in.

Terrance Shannon Jr will be the best player on the court for either team but Grissel (is that right) will cause major issues if he gets to his spots.

Walker vs Dain will be interesting. Both also suck at FT's.

While I mostly agree - and I can't believe I am even saying this - but Breidenbach has actually provided some quality minutes the past couple games. I would like to seek Keita develop but also not sure his minutes help us win games right now. (FYI, I went and took some aspirin after typing this because it made my head hurt).

Wilcher needs to play MUCH better. On both ends. I don’t see the whole “he’s a good defender” take when I watch him play. He just doesn’t seem to have the quickness to stay with B1G guards.

Reactions: nwualum
This is the first game in the last 3-4 years that I'm actually excited about attending, and that the game actually means something. Of course, that usually means only one thing will happen. So don't get your hopes up.
here's hoping you don't spend the lion's share in the concession lines!

While I mostly agree - and I can't believe I am even saying this - but Breidenbach has actually provided some quality minutes the past couple games. I would like to seek Keita develop but also not sure his minutes help us win games right now. (FYI, I went and took some aspirin after typing this because it made my head hurt).
That's a good point. But my frustration is that when Breidenbach is playing well and producing, Fred will up his minutes accordingly. If he's having a bad game, he sits. With Keita, his minutes are hard-capped no matter what - because NU needs Walker on the floor as much as possible.

Play them together, Fred. The world will not end.

That's a good point. But my frustration is that when Breidenbach is playing well and producing, Fred will up his minutes accordingly. If he's having a bad game, he sits. With Keita, his minutes are hard-capped no matter what - because NU needs Walker on the floor as much as possible.

Play them together, Fred. The world will not end.

Seems reasonable to at least give it a try, so I always wonder why that never occurs. My wild assed guess is that the "small" lineup gives us the most production on both ends of the court. It is rare to see a post-heavy lineup anywhere in college these days. Purely guessing that 2 post players can gum up the flow and passing the ball. The game is all drive and score / kick out. Walker can't drive as Keita would draw the defense down low and they would be able to contest more shots. Keita can't be outside for a kick out if the person driving can't shoot at the hoop because he does not have that skill set. I yell every time Breidenbach gets the ball at the 3-point line, but at least he has made a few 3s to keep the defense somewhat honest.

I really, really can't believe I have 2 posts in the same day somewhat defending Breidenbach. I am substituting aspirin for bourbon for the rest of the day - or at least until game time tonight!!

It is rare to see a post-heavy lineup anywhere in college these days.
It is, but I think that's due in large part to college basketball coaches being blockheaded copycats.

Defense and rebounding still win games. Plus I think Keita guarding opponents' big men - at least for a few extra minutes per game - would help keep Walker out of foul trouble and free up more energy for his offensive game.

But it will probably never happen, unless someone at a coaches' clinic showcases it as a revolutionary new concept.

Generally agree with you. Breidenbach has such an odd looking shot though... Ultimately I would like to find a way to get Keita a few more minutes with this being Walker's last ride. I think Nebraska wins in a nail biter. Will be watching from my nosebleed seats !

This is the first game in the last 3-4 years that I'm actually excited about attending, and that the game actually means something. Of course, that usually means only one thing will happen. So don't get your hopes up.

Ain't that the truth.

Reactions: king_kong_
Seems reasonable to at least give it a try, so I always wonder why that never occurs. My wild assed guess is that the "small" lineup gives us the most production on both ends of the court. It is rare to see a post-heavy lineup anywhere in college these days. Purely guessing that 2 post players can gum up the flow and passing the ball. The game is all drive and score / kick out. Walker can't drive as Keita would draw the defense down low and they would be able to contest more shots. Keita can't be outside for a kick out if the person driving can't shoot at the hoop because he does not have that skill set. I yell every time Breidenbach gets the ball at the 3-point line, but at least he has made a few 3s to keep the defense somewhat honest.

I really, really can't believe I have 2 posts in the same day somewhat defending Breidenbach. I am substituting aspirin for bourbon for the rest of the day - or at least until game time tonight!!
Walker clearly thrives in the post-move game. Not sure what he would do flexed out to “power” forward. He does well in the rebound department when he can get into a guy position wise. Not sure he’d be that effective crashing in and trying to outjump guys for the ball.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
Hey Cubsker— I know I owe you lunch and I am happy to buy it. Anyway we can arrange to meet? I do get to Omaha occasionally, but we can do this anywhere. Let me know.

Let's shoot for Feb or March if that's okay. I'll make my way to Lincoln.

Reactions: nwualum
I get a feeling Illinois wins this but could go either way. If we get down by a few I may throw something at the Vegas house for us.

Official’s are calling things close, not letting them play..
Need to adjust to that.

Would have been nice to see a replay of Walker’s 2nd foul. Not like it was a big call or anything.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT