ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiskers +14 vs. Illini

I had to follow on my phone. Am I right that we win the game if Banton just makes a fuc*ing free throw?
Possibly, although in that case Illinois would have either taken a three on their end or fouled after making a two.

Best game we’ve seen I think from them this season. The way Walker handled Fockburn makes me think he should be able to bully a few other B1G centers with that kind of effort. Something to watch.

I had to follow on my phone. Am I right that we win the game if Banton just makes a fuc*ing free throw?
Basically just dribbled out the last 16 seconds of a tie game after a timeout to end regulation. Nobody moving. Didn't even get a shot off, just kind of a contested shot put. Zero doubt how it was going to end at that point.

Reactions: NebChicago
Yes and No. We ran the worst play in history for our last shot of regulation with the game tied.
I think that last possession of regulation should be the NU Athletic Department’s new Twitter/Instagram video. It summed up the past few years beautifully.

Reactions: NebChicago
I really don't want to hear about talent excuses for the rest of the year. Illinois is the 6th ranked team and they only had 2 guys who are clearly more talented than our guys.

I really don't want to hear about talent excuses for the rest of the year. Illinois is the 6th ranked team and they only had 2 guys who are clearly more talented than our guys.

Uhh...even if that were true, those 2 guys are insanely more talented than any of our guys. They also have muchhhh better shooters across the board that we didn’t really let shoot tonight for the most part.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Uhh...even if that were true, those 2 guys are insanely more talented than any of our guys. They also have muchhhh better shooters across the board that we didn’t really let shoot tonight for the most part.
Yeah, it was definitely a mismatch of epic proportions that we managed to make a fight of through effort and D.

RollingLaugh

Did you see their "2 guys" though? They had Shaq Jr. out there and then that Ayo guy was probably as good as any guard in the entire country. Easily the best player Nebraska has seen this year.

Really, I’d say at least 3 Dusunmu, Frazier and Cockburn..Even Miller is helpful for them...

Banton again was useless 2-7 and 0-3 from the perimeter and a disgusting 1-6 and the strip...I really thought he was going to be a good player for us at the start of the season.😡

RollingLaugh

Did you see their "2 guys" though? They had Shaq Jr. out there and then that Ayo guy was probably as good as any guard in the entire country. Easily the best player Nebraska has seen this year.
And yet we took them to OT. Again talent is a poor excuse for the way this season has gone. We have guys that can drive to the basket, had a guy get hot from 3, and we're playing respectable defense. Talent is not why this team is winless in conference play under Hoiberg's tenure.

And yet we took them to OT. Again talent is a poor excuse for the way this season has gone. We have guys that can drive to the basket, had a guy get hot from 3, and we're playing respectable defense. Talent is not why this team is winless in conference play under Hoiberg's tenure.
The margin for error is slim. But I agree with you that maybe our talent isn’t the best but clearly not that bad if we can do what we did. That was the only game all season they played with energy. Walker really played well. Yvan should play no more than 2 minutes.

Your joking we definitely have some deficiencies, Yvan is a detriment on the floor, Banton been useless and the line and the Field he can’t finish off drives to the basket, Webster comes off the bench and hardly scores in conference play, Allen the go to guy and forces shots and makes stupid turnovers..

Mayan is finally starting to knock down some 3‘s but can’t finish drives to the basket enough. I like Andre but is young pup.. Walker been a please surprise and could use another player of his caliber.

McGowens usually plays solid but he and Allen both screwed up the final shot in regulation to win the game..

Basically just dribbled out the last 16 seconds of a tie game after a timeout to end regulation. Nobody moving. Didn't even get a shot off, just kind of a contested shot put. Zero doubt how it was going to end at that point.

Here it is. Fred’s reaction sums it up.

RollingLaugh

Yep. Both are POY candidates and we generally remain the Island of Misfit Toys.

Reactions: scarletred
Here it is. Fred’s reaction sums it up.

Allen was like a 3rd defender, and McGowens waited way too long to get things in motion. It was like a training film on how not to score.

But I'm surprised how often this happens throughout college basketball. I think teams would be a lot better served if they would start looking to score with about 12 seconds left, because then you're not so handcuffed. And if the other team ends up getting the ball with a 4-5 seconds left, so be it. I want to give my team its best chance to take the lead, rather than worry about the opponent throwing in a prayer.

Allen was like a 3rd defender, and McGowens waited way too long to get things in motion. It was like a training film on how not to score.

But I'm surprised how often this happens throughout college basketball. I think teams would be a lot better served if they would start looking to score with about 12 seconds left, because then you're not so handcuffed. And if the other team ends up getting the ball with a 4-5 seconds left, so be it. I want to give my team its best chance to take the lead, rather than worry about the opponent throwing in a prayer.
Just look at the other 3 guys on the other side of the court. Hell of a play when literally not a single guy was moving on the court.

Why bring a guy up to screen at :06 if you aren’t going to use it until :03? Why screen with the guy being guarded by Ayo? Bring a big up so you can maybe get a mismatch if they switch or a better look if they don’t.

Reactions: schuele
Just look at the other 3 guys on the other side of the court. Hell of a play when literally not a single guy was moving on the court.
Made even worse by the fact that even though the score was tied, the Huskers absolutely had to win it on that possession. Their chances of winning in OT were tiny, and that's another reason the play should have started sooner. If NU attacks the defense with :11 or :12 on the clock and it somehow results in a loss in regulation, I can live with that. It's better than knowing you had one chance for the win and completely crapped the bed.

Surprised Fred's son doesn't get a few minutes per game for Michigan State - who's getting rolled right now by Iowa. He could not possibly be as bad as Foster Loyer, who might be the worst Big Ten basketball player I've ever seen.

why do they call Cockburn.... Coburn.. why is the cock silent?
Because, who wouldn't rather be called Coburn?

coburn_l.jpg

(The pride of Laurel, NE, by the way...)

Surprised Fred's son doesn't get a few minutes per game for Michigan State - who's getting rolled right now by Iowa. He could not possibly be as bad as Foster Loyer, who might be the worst Big Ten basketball player I've ever seen.

As an Iowa fan let me introduce you to John Lickliter

AR-312299939.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

As an Iowa fan let me introduce you to John Lickliter
Ha! You're right, he was bad. But Lickliter mostly sat the bench. Loyer is either Izzo's nephew or has incriminating photos of the coach locked away somewhere.

Reactions: Scott559
Ha! You're right, he was bad. But Lickliter mostly sat the bench. Loyer is either Izzo's nephew or has incriminating photos of the coach locked away somewhere.

I believe I heard on a MSU game earlier this year that he was a 4 star recruit, Sure hasn’t looked it up to this point.

Made even worse by the fact that even though the score was tied, the Huskers absolutely had to win it on that possession. Their chances of winning in OT were tiny, and that's another reason the play should have started sooner. If NU attacks the defense with :11 or :12 on the clock and it somehow results in a loss in regulation, I can live with that. It's better than knowing you had one chance for the win and completely crapped the bed.
I knew when they screwed up that play that they were done. Sigh. That said, the refs IMO absolutely gave every call to Illinois late in the game and then in OT. The let their big man on 3 occasions push his man out of the way to clear a lane to the bucket for their dribbler to get the hoop. On of those plays he actually pulled down on I think it was Banton's arm to prevent him from blocking the shot. The officiating was horrible and yes I think they along with our missed FTs cost NU the game. F'n B1G officiating. That was all about keeping Illinois in the hunt for a #1 seed.

Teddy played about as good of a game as I've seen him play. Walker was giving up 50 lbs at least and held his own and added offense. McGowens was really good most of the game especially on D. Man IF they can play like that every game and make a couple of more free throws they'll win some games yet this year. Lat played a helluva game. We're seeing now why Fred likes that guy so much. Had some unfortunate misses at clutch time but man he played a TON of minutes last night. Good defender and rebounder. Had a nice steal late in regulation. I'm feeling better about this team after seeing what they CAN be IF we get guys to play smarter ball and make some shots.

Reactions: 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT