ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg N

I'm just gonna say this; the first time I see something stupid like a "Mayor of Lincoln" shirt I'll probably puke a little. I'd like to believe that won't happen but you know it will. I apologize in advance to 'clone fans.

Husker Athletics is making enough money that they are now giving UN academics an additional 5 million dollars a year since the Big Ten payout went to 100%. Making the payout 10 million dollars a year. The Men's basketball team in in the black for operations. Please do not think for a minute that paying a coach is a problem for Neb Basketball!

Michigan State game starting now. I assume Hoiberg is there to watch his son. Will CBS ask him about Nebraska?

Husker Athletics is making enough money that they are now giving UN academics an additional 5 million dollars a year since the Big Ten payout went to 100%. Making the payout 10 million dollars a year. The Men's basketball team in in the black for operations. Please do not think for a minute that paying a coach is a problem for Neb Basketball!

That's great they can do that. If there is no limit to the income/revenue then just spend like there is no tomorrow. Spend like you have or will have it. I don't know of any school that has not had to make choices in spending at one time or another. Pay coaches more, build facilities, support academics, recruit like crazy for all sports and expect the money to always be there is a dream. There are always limitations, recessions, down turns, someone makes a large booster made, whatever. I just hope we don't have to pay anymore AD's and coaches to not work again.

We have one of the few state schools in the country that uses athletic revenue to support academia of the university. We’re one of the few state schools that doesn’t receive state aid for our state school. We’re one of a few schools that is in the green. The Husker brand has been on the decline for 20 years, so they damn well better invest in it. There’s a reason why the university was successful under Dollar Bill Byrne. With our location and history we should be top 5 in spending. We once were and we still should be. Our spending should have kept pace with inflation and the revenue increases. Do you think Frost was referring to personalities when he stated the right people and adminastrative support needed to be in place for him to come here? It’s all about money. The top programs spend money and are often in the red on their balance sheet.

What? What is "state aid"? I found this article if anyone really cares to take the time to read it. They cut $22 million in administrative costs and received $570 million in "state appropriations." Say what you want but there are few schools/colleges that have money to throw at everything they want, including Nebraska. https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/university-of-nebraska-budget-proposal-released/

Great read, LHL. This post kicks ass.

Thanks, amigo. Right back at ya.

larry-hagman-2.jpg

Reactions: HuskerDana
Alabama is going to fire Avery Johnson. Alabama is Steve Prohm's alma mater.

If Prohm goes to Alabama, that opens up the Iowa State job for Hoiberg.

I wouldn’t even be upset if he that happened in all honesty. Fred Hoiberg at Iowa State is Scott Frost at Nebraska.

I obviously want Hoiberg and I still think we get him, Prohm is pretty locked in Ames.

Alabama is going to fire Avery Johnson. Alabama is Steve Prohm's alma mater.

If Prohm goes to Alabama, that opens up the Iowa State job for Hoiberg.

The buyout is not an issue for Bama...The issue is that they probably don't totally know who they want. Steve would be a great hire for them, no doubt. Johnson was really, at the time, a great looking hire.

I could 100% see them tossing a boatload of money at Billy Donovan.

What? What is "state aid"? I found this article if anyone really cares to take the time to read it. They cut $22 million in administrative costs and received $570 million in "state appropriations." Say what you want but there are few schools/colleges that have money to throw at everything they want, including Nebraska. https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/university-of-nebraska-budget-proposal-released/
Maybe I should have specifically stated that the athletic programs don’t receive state funding, although I figured that was a given as we were discussing athletic funding. All appropriations are for academia (salaries, research, day to day ops). None are for athletics. Academia receives monetary support from athletics as well which again is uncommon for most state schools. You’ve deduced a lot from the following and only statement in the article on appropriations. “The University of Nebraska receives about $570 million in state appropriations. State funding and tuition are the primary sources of revenue for the university’s day-to-day operations.” The article doesn’t define how the appropriations are used.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBeav815
Hopefully John Cook has Hoiberg signed already. Wait. What did I just say?

where are these Moos is out rumors coming from? why the Moos witch hunt? all the guy's done is increase Nebraska's relevance by a factor of hundreds in his time here. it'd make more sense to talk about a lifetime contract before we bum rush him out of town for literally zero reason.

if he leaves, it's an indictment on the fanbase and would be a real shame considering his accomplishments in a short time.

where are these Moos is out rumors coming from? why the Moos witch hunt? all the guy's done is increase Nebraska's relevance by a factor of hundreds in his time here. it'd make more sense to talk about a lifetime contract before we bum rush him out of town for literally zero reason.

if he leaves, it's an indictment on the fanbase and would be a real shame considering his accomplishments in a short time.
Rumor on Moos (which I first heard in November) is that he has a serious drinking problem and has refused to acknowledge or seek treatment for same. He has denied it, which either means it's not true or means he refuses to acknowledge or seek treatment. He also allegedly groped a woman.

I'm not here to make people care if a man his age gets pass-out drunk in downtown bars with some regularity. You either care or you don't. I'm here to tell you that being an AD has a lot to do with your public image, your ability to fundraise, and your ability to rally wealthy donors to your cause. When those wealthy donors decide they don't like you or your behavior, it's over.

Reactions: red-one21
Rumor on Moos (which I first heard in November) is that he has a serious drinking problem and has refused to acknowledge or seek treatment for same. He has denied it, which either means it's not true or means he refuses to acknowledge or seek treatment. He also allegedly groped a woman.

I'm not here to make people care if a man his age gets pass-out drunk in downtown bars with some regularity. You either care or you don't. I'm here to tell you that being an AD has a lot to do with your public image, your ability to fundraise, and your ability to rally wealthy donors to your cause. When those wealthy donors decide they don't like you or your behavior, it's over.

I remember all of these things coming out like 6 months ago and then they went away. Interesting...

if anything's been brought against him from a legal standpoint, that's one thing. if fans who have no business in Moos' personal affairs are meddling and raising a ruckus because they're bored in the months between football seasons, that's another.

how about for once the fanbase zips it and enjoys having a functional, strategic, aggressive athletic department for the first time in 20+ years. let the man do his job, which he's very good at.

if anything's been brought against him from a legal standpoint, that's one thing. if fans who have no business in Moos' personal affairs are meddling and raising a ruckus because they're bored in the months between football seasons, that's another.

how about for once the fanbase zips it and enjoys having a functional, strategic, aggressive athletic department for the first time in 20+ years. let the man do his job, which he's very good at.
You're forgetting that the fanbase is the source of a lot of the Athletic Department's money. Like it or not, it matters whether millionaires like the guy who comes around asking them to scratch out fat checks for the facilities upgrades they want. We're not at the parties rubbing elbows with him and getting our wives' boobs honked (allegedly). They are.

It also matters if he gets in his car one night and kills a couple people and it turns out that everyone in the department knew he was a drunk but they swept it under the rug and kept him in Lincoln so long as he could make a big basketball hire (allegedly).

As I said, I first heard of it in November, which is right in the thick of football season, and I wasn't on the breaking edge of the story even then.

You're forgetting that the fanbase is the source of a lot of the Athletic Department's money. Like it or not, it matters whether millionaires like the guy who comes around asking them to scratch out fat checks for the facilities upgrades they want. We're not at the parties rubbing elbows with him and getting our wives' boobs honked (allegedly). They are.

It also matters if he gets in his car one night and kills a couple people and it turns out that everyone in the department knew he was a drunk but they swept it under the rug and kept him in Lincoln so long as he could make a big basketball hire (allegedly).

As I said, I first heard of it in November, which is right in the thick of football season, and I wasn't on the breaking edge of the story even then.

the fanbase is a source of about 15% of revenues, and, regardless of what they say at the dinner table, they're not self righteous enough to boycott DONU in the midst of a football renaissance even if any of your overblown hypotheticals become true.

boosters like a winner. Moos is exactly that. everything from a revenue to donation standpoint was way up last year, apparently also in the midst of these asinine rumors.

Reactions: tdierberger

Yep. This is exactly right. They are trying to tread lightly on how to phase him out, and as @slwags mentioned Cook could be a contender here, but there are many variables still happening.

the fanbase is a source of about 15% of revenues, and, regardless of what they say at the dinner table, they're not self righteous enough to boycott DONU in the midst of a football renaissance even if any of your overblown hypotheticals become true.

boosters like a winner. Moos is exactly that. everything from a revenue to donation standpoint was way up last year, apparently also in the midst of these asinine rumors.
You asked and I answered. Changing your mind is not my job.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE

They would have been up for any AD that hired Frost. Get your head out of the sand.

You asked and I answered. Changing your mind is not my job.

My opinion of Moos is based on his accomplishments, which are documented and have NU athletics headed in the right direction.

Your answer was all 'what ifs' and 'allegedlys', which is to say no answer at all. I hope your mind hasn't been made up based on these salacious rumors.

I don't think we're in disagreement if any of these things were to come true and affected others, but to have these rumors swirling after 20+ years of pathetic loserdom in major men's sports is too bad. Also, it would be shameful to fire him if he does have an issue with alcohol instead of provide necessary help and support.

Happy Friday & GBR

Reactions: tdierberger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT