ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg N

I am going to guess that Moos will help Miles find a new job or maybe put him in the offices. Miles. announcing in the press conference about his future really makes me wonder if Miles is actually agreeing to leave. This just went down too smooth for the season not being over yet and Miles still so happy.
Miles has known for a year that it was NCAA dance or it was over.

Holy freaking shit... the Mayor is actually coming (back) to Lincoln. Biggest coaching hire of all time for NU hoops. We're entering uncharted territory, Nebrasketball fans. Adding Hoiberg one year after Frost is borderline criminal.

Moos is a straight pimp. I don't know what else there is to say. The Frost hire was amazing enough, but one could argue that it was teed up for him. He didn't have to open his desk drawer and review his famed list. He just had to make sure he didn't F it up.

The drawer was definitely wide open this time with a clear focus on guys with local/Midwestern ties (Oats/Altman/Hoiberg). The man had a plan and even though he didn't hit his first target, the list had serious depth. And he worked through it very quickly. It's impressive to see a professional AD at work.

Frost and Hoiberg in back to back years? I don't know that it was possible for him to do any better. The Moos is loose and Nebraska is not effing around any longer. He even canned our deadbeat golf and tennis coaches. Look out, Big Ten. Look out, everyone.

As for the media, I have two awards to hand out. The Awesome Guy Award goes to Lars Anderson, who delivered again. Another local boy done good. NBC Sports is even running it with Stewart Mandel giving "credence to Anderson's track record."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/fred-hoiberg-nebraska-gaining-steam-its-firm-and-final

The Turd of the Week Award goes to Andy Katz who suggested that Nebraska should "know their place" while giving Miles a slob job. According to Andy, Miles was the best we could hope for, so why bother trying to improve?

Great call, Captain Numbnuts. No wonder ESPN cut your sack. Laughing

Last edited:
I am going to guess that Moos will help Miles find a new job or maybe put him in the offices. Miles. announcing in the press conference about his future really makes me wonder if Miles is actually agreeing to leave. This just went down too smooth for the season not being over yet and Miles still so happy.

Miles has been all class through this. Love him or hate him as a coach, he’s been impressive as a person during a time where it would be easy to be unpleasant.

Doing flood relief stuff, hanging an hour after the game to take pictures and sign stuff tonight, overall positive attitude and has said thank you to the fans multiple times over this last week.

I am tickled we’re getting Hoiberg. But I am appreciating Miles character right now. I have a lot of respect for him.

Holy freaking shit... the Mayor is actually coming (back) to Lincoln. Biggest coaching hire of all time for NU hoops. We're entering uncharted territory, Nebrasketball fans. Adding Hoiberg one year after Frost is borderline criminal.

Moos is a straight pimp. I don't know what else there is to say. The Frost hire was amazing enough, but one could argue that it was teed up for him. He didn't have to open his desk drawer and review his famed list. He just had to make sure he didn't F it up.

The drawer was definitely wide open this time with a clear focus on guys with local/Midwestern ties (Oats/Altman/Hoiberg). The man had a plan and even though he didn't hit his first target, the list had serious depth. And he worked through it very quickly. It's impressive to see a professional AD at work.

Frost and Hoiberg in back to back years? I don't know that it was possible for him to do any better. The Moos is loose and Nebraska is not effing around any longer. He even canned our deadbeat golf and tennis coaches. Look out, Big Ten. Look out, everyone.

As for the media, I have two awards to hand out. The Awesome Guy Award goes to Lars Anderson, who delivered again. Another local boy done good. NBC Sports is even running it with Stewart Mandel giving "credence to Anderson's track record."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/fred-hoiberg-nebraska-gaining-steam-its-firm-and-final

The Turd of the Week Award goes to Andy Katz who suggested that Nebraska should "know their place" while giving Miles a slob job. According to Andy, Miles was the best we could hope for, so why bother trying to improve?

"He even canned our deadbeat golf and tennis coaches."

This was my biggest concern.

Are the new golf and tennis coaches any good?

If they aren't, then Moos sucks. (Total sarcasm.)

Last edited:
Miles has been all class through this. Love him or hate him as a coach, he’s been impressive as a person during a time where it would be easy to be unpleasant.

Doing flood relief stuff, hanging an hour after the game to take pictures and sign stuff tonight, overall positive attitude and has said thank you to the fans multiple times over this last week.

I am tickled we’re getting Hoiberg. But I am appreciating Miles character right now. I have a lot of respect for him.

IDK, the way Bo burned down the house on the way out the door had a certain charm to it.

"He even canned our deadbeat golf and tennis coaches."

This was my biggest concern.

Are the new golf and tennis coaches any good?

If they aren't, then Moos sucks.

I don't know if he's any good, but the new golf coach was Fred Hoiberg's college roommate. If he helped us with Hoiberg in any way, it was a home run hire.

IDK, the way Bo burned down the house on the way out the door had a certain charm to it.

Maybe my appreciation for how Miles is handling the situation id because I am unknowingly comparing it to Bo's 'burn it all down and try to destroy everything in my sights' game plan.

Maybe my appreciation for how Miles is handling the situation id because I am unknowingly comparing it to Bo's 'burn it all down and try to destroy everything in my sights' game plan.

I see both sides really.

1. We all have had that dream of telling a shitty boss off, of giving that boss a farewell he/she will never forget.

2. Most people are pretty decent for the most part and handle things in a nice way so that makes sense too.

If Miles did it would be pretty hard to accuse Moos of hiding underneath an effing rock. The guy seems to be engaged with the department and of course, likes to have beers and food with fans in various towns.

Smart move by that reporter.

Yeah, he put out an extremely vague quote that stirs up some drama, but committed himself to no concrete position whatsoever. I mean, it's qualified every which you can:

Someone with knowledge of State of Nebraska basketball says Mayor to Nebraska isn’t as close right now as some are leading others to believe.

So it's close, but not as close... right now... as "some" are saying? It's a good thing someone with knowledge was available to pass along these earth-shattering insights.

He's saying it isn't a done deal. No kidding. The position isn't even open yet. Until ink is dry on a contract and Moos is introducing him at a presser, you can't call it done. We're just not there yet.

I trust Lars 100%. He's proven himself and his NU connections are obviously legit. If the ISU reporter had came out and taken a firm position, that would be one thing. But this appears to be nothing more than "hey everyone, look at me, I know people/stuff too."

Yeah, he put out an extremely vague quote that stirs up some drama, but committed himself to no concrete position whatsoever. I mean, it's qualified every which you can:

Someone with knowledge of State of Nebraska basketball says Mayor to Nebraska isn’t as close right now as some are leading others to believe.

So it's close, but not as close... right now... as "some" are saying? It's a good thing someone with knowledge was available to pass along these earth-shattering insights.

He's saying it isn't a done deal. No kidding. The position isn't even open yet. Until ink is dry on a contract and Moos is introducing him at a presser, you can't call it done. We're just not there yet.

I trust Lars 100%. He's proven himself and his NU connections are obviously legit. If the ISU reporter had came out and taken a firm position, that would be one thing. But this appears to be nothing more than "hey everyone, look at me, I know people/stuff too."
Well put

Lol these posts have been awesome.

1.) I agree on Miles; I feel bad, because he seems like a good guy, a decent coach, and has really put forth the effort, but yeah, if we land Hoiberg, he's out. Hey..does some of this sound familiar?

2.) Lol, Bo burning down the house on his way out had a certain charm to it. It kind of did, because it was like, holy shit, this is like watching Walter White in Breaking Bad...he's cornered and becoming even more dangerous! What's he gonna do NEXT?!

3.) As an athletic department, we have like no debt and plenty of money; Moos seems to understand a few important aspects of being a successful AD:
a.) Pay people big money who deserve big money.
b.) Invest in facilities and pimping out the program as much as you possibly can.
c.) Part of your job is to socialize and booze with the money people. Do it, and do it well.

This is all great news and I couldn't be happier to read it this morning!

I see both sides really.

1. We all have had that dream of telling a shitty boss off, of giving that boss a farewell he/she will never forget.

2. Most people are pretty decent for the most part and handle things in a nice way so that makes sense too.

If Bo just told his boss to eat it, that would be one thing. But he went way past 'take this job and shove it' territory.

Great read, LHL. This post kicks ass.

Nebraska doesn't have unlimited money although to read some of this you would think so. Can we afford to pay the big bucks and "open the checkbook"? Probably. But realize it affects all coaches in other sports and there is a limited amount if available money. Allocate and extra $2 million in coach in salaries has be made up somewhere. In other words, we now want new facilities, something has to give. If anyone thinks there is an unlimited money supply then just keep asking for everything and see how it ends up.

Miles has done nothing to hurt his employability if in fact he's fired. If anything, this last season surge will IMO lift him in to a pretty good landing spot. He'll get a good job.

Miles has done nothing to hurt his employability if in fact he's fired. If anything, this last season surge will IMO lift him in to a pretty good landing spot. He'll get a good job.

It is tough to get canned from a P5 job, have no tourney wins, and get a new P5 job...UNLESS say it was a school that has been currently really freaking crappy.

I still think he is going into media.

It is tough to get canned from a P5 job, have no tourney wins, and get a new P5 job...UNLESS say it was a school that has been currently really freaking crappy.

I still think he is going into media.
Either way, he'll be fine. I think he's the most employable former NU basketball coach ever. JMHO.

Nebraska doesn't have unlimited money although to read some of this you would think so. Can we afford to pay the big bucks and "open the checkbook"? Probably. But realize it affects all coaches in other sports and there is a limited amount if available money. Allocate and extra $2 million in coach in salaries has be made up somewhere. In other words, we now want new facilities, something has to give. If anyone thinks there is an unlimited money supply then just keep asking for everything and see how it ends up.
We have one of the few state schools in the country that uses athletic revenue to support academia of the university. We’re one of the few state schools that doesn’t receive state aid for our state school. We’re one of a few schools that is in the green. The Husker brand has been on the decline for 20 years, so they damn well better invest in it. There’s a reason why the university was successful under Dollar Bill Byrne. With our location and history we should be top 5 in spending. We once were and we still should be. Our spending should have kept pace with inflation and the revenue increases. Do you think Frost was referring to personalities when he stated the right people and adminastrative support needed to be in place for him to come here? It’s all about money. The top programs spend money and are often in the red on their balance sheet.

Last edited:

We're receiving a full revenue share of Big Ten money now, which is like an extra $25 million/year. We can more than afford to pay Hoiberg an extra $1.5 million/year than we were paying Miles.

New facilities are usually funded by special donations from big money donors. It's why Howard Hawks' name is on like every other building at UNL.

How much basketball success would it take to generate $2 million of added revenue?

ADVERTISEMENT