ADVERTISEMENT

High school football update

So Benson has a smaller team than my Class C school did in the early 80s and even today, when the class enrollment is 50% less than when I was there. Benson either has a male student body that is insufficiently interested in the sport. If this is the case, they should drop the sport and let the kids who want to play transfer. Or perhaps they have a coaching staff that isn't doing the work to get kids to come out for the sport. If this is the case, get a different coaching staff. Perhaps look there before placing the blame on the NSAA. Dividing schools into classes by enrollment is how things are done in high school sports. It isn't perfect, but exactly what would be the replacement for it?
Dropping the sport isn't a good option, but it's viable. I kinda like the coop idea because combining two struggling OPS schools should in theory make teams more competitive. The current state of affairs is not a good one because when an OPS school does actually develop some younger players, those kids go somewhere else to play. It's a joke. Then when the best athletes leave, what is left behind? I don't blame those kids for not going out for football. As far as coaching goes, I am sure that better coaching helps but I don't know the situation, Benson and the like might already have good coaches. But it might take an exceptional head coach (good luck finding that guy) with several top level assistants/JV/9th grade coaches to turn something like that around. And even then, turning it around may only mean going 5-4. Meanwhile the a-holes from you know where are recruiting your kids all off season.

They aren't class B in everything. They are class B is a few select sports and class C-1 in the others and are closer to the list. That is the bigger gripe is how can you be in 2 different classes. It was the same way when I was in High School. We were in class B until I was a sophomore and then moved to C-1 in football, basketball, but still were B in golf, track, and wrestling and that is the same today. Why not class C-1 in everything?

Also, I feel bad for Schuyler. They are getting hosed and probably will have kids opt to other schools so they don't have to be in a shitty place. That also happens quite a bit, especially with farm kids. I had two kids in my school go to 3 different schools chasing sports.

I think the schedules are better now than when I was in HS, but we were a small school then and were playing McCook, Lexington, Chase County, Grand Island CC, etc. all teams with like 100+ kids on their sideline when we had 40 if we were lucky. That seems dumb. To me maybe they should run the classes based on participation and not just enrollment.
Because there are no C-1 in track golf and wrestling baseball and softball. It is what it is and your school is not alone.

Reactions: huskerfan66
For the 100th time, private schools HAVE TO "RECRUIT". They want as many kids as they can hold in their building.

90% of the kids at private schools are not playing varsity sports. They are literally trying to get anyone that can handle the academic workload AND kids that can handle it without tons of extra resources and accommodations.

There is nothing "illegal" about what they do. And I know the next complaint "THEY OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS". Yep...500 dollars, sometimes 1000. Totally helps with that 13K a year tuition.

Deciding the best school for your kids varies based on the kid and your goals. I wanted my kids to be prepared academically for college and play sports for recreation. I knew they weren’t going division 1. I sent them to Mt. Michael and it worked. They were able to play sports and even went to state a couple times. Tuition was steep, but they paid me back thru college scholarships that exceeded what I paid.

Thanks for your input.
I think tried a C-1 C-2 D-1 D-2 in golf for a couple years and found out the number of schools were low and went back. I don’t know if it’s because they would have to add extra days at the state tournaments I understand your frustration of getting lumped together in those sports with a bigger school.

Deciding the best school for your kids varies based on the kid and your goals. I wanted my kids to be prepared academically for college and play sports for recreation. I knew they weren’t going division 1. I sent them to Mt. Michael and it worked. They were able to play sports and even went to state a couple times. Tuition was steep, but they paid me back thru college scholarships that exceeded what I paid.
Mount Mikes is a great school. Really good principal. I was sad their one recruiting guy left, he was awesome.

But if you opt down you're not eligible for state or district play. Then again if you're getting your butt handed to you does it matter??
That’s correct what you say, you aren’t eligible for district play but oh well if the alternative is staying put and always losing.

Reactions: huskerfan66
For the 100th time, private schools HAVE TO "RECRUIT". They want as many kids as they can hold in their building.

90% of the kids at private schools are not playing varsity sports. They are literally trying to get anyone that can handle the academic workload AND kids that can handle it without tons of extra resources and accommodations.

There is nothing "illegal" about what they do. And I know the next complaint "THEY OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS". Yep...500 dollars, sometimes 1000. Totally helps with that 13K a year tuition.
Speaking from experience, some offer more under special circumstances

I’m surprised so many are appalled at the notion cash makes the world go ‘round

Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT