ADVERTISEMENT

Here's your $600ish/ sq ft house

Cuz dingle said a builder told him it was $400 sq/ft to build a 1500 sq ft house.

So… $600k for a 1500 sq ft house? Seems a bit pricey for the size. Where’s he building, cause location is key? My BIL’s house (Chatham, NJ) is probably in the top 5-10% nationally for real estate prices. They have a roughly 3500-4000 sq ft house they bought 20 years ago for around $850k. Guessing it’s worth close to 1.5 million now. (maybe more) I think in Nebraska it’s usually around $100 per square ft to build? But I don’t know much about all this…

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
So… $600k for a 1500 sq ft house? Seems a bit pricey for the size. Where’s he building, cause location is key? My BIL’s house (Chatham, NJ) is probably in the top 5-10% nationally for real estate prices. They have a roughly 3500-4000 sq ft house they bought 20 years ago for around $850k. Guessing it’s worth close to 1.5 million now. (maybe more) I think in Nebraska it’s usually around $100 per square ft to build? But I don’t know much about all this…
I think he said Columbus, NE.

Probably 250-275 a square foot. Building it right, a 3 bed 3 bath 2 car garage is going to cost around 450-500k if built today.

Reactions: cavalot and V-Doub
Probably 250-275 a square foot. Building it right, a 3 bed 3 bath 2 car garage is going to cost around 450-500k if built today.

Gotcha, thought I heard a while back the average cost to build in NE was around $100 per square foot. Maybe a lot rural areas with really low real estate values bring that average down? IDK? I’ve never really been in the market to build new so I don’t know a lot about it.

Reactions: cavalot
Gotcha, thought I heard a while back the average cost to build in NE was around $100 per square foot. Maybe a lot rural areas with really low real estate values bring that average down? IDK? I’ve never really been in the market to build new so I don’t know a lot about it.
Those are late 90s early 2000s numbers. Prices have skyrocketed not only for materials but for skilled labor. It’s a viscous cycle, a builder needs employees and has to pay at minimum 18-25 an hour for decent help, 30-35 for skilled men and upwards of 100 bucks an hour for themselves, of course that’s not take home bevause that covers insurance, equipment ect. And you have to charge your guys 10-15 dollars an hour more than what you pay them to cover insurance/workman comp.

Reactions: cavalot and V-Doub
Cuz dingle said a builder told him it was $400 sq/ft to build a 1500 sq ft house.
If you want a good builder in my area of NE Nebraska in the Yankton SD area, that’s what they’re bidding and they’re at least 6 months out.

Those are late 90s early 2000s numbers. Prices have skyrocketed not only for materials but for skilled labor. It’s a viscous cycle, a builder needs employees and has to pay at minimum 18-25 an hour for decent help, 30-35 for skilled men and upwards of 100 bucks an hour for themselves, of course that’s not take home bevause that covers insurance, equipment ect. And you have to charge your guys 10-15 dollars an hour more than what you pay them to cover insurance/workman comp.
I’ve been my own general contractor on multiple single family homes and commercial buildings. Subcontractor rates have gone from $40/hour to $120/hour plus in our area for labor. I generaled our current 7600 sq ft home 17 years ago. I know what I’m speaking of. Right now you can find more value in an existing 2000+ sq ft home than you can building a 1300 sq ft home.

In general construction costs, but not quality, are lower in Texas and areas with large developers who employ unskilled migrant labor. Right before Covid I had to have a roof re-roofed on a house I own near Aksarben Village. I spent the day on the roof trying to show them how to flash and seal the area around the chimney amongst other things.

Reactions: Wasker77 and V-Doub
I’ve been my own general contractor on multiple single family homes and commercial buildings. Subcontractor rates have gone from $40/hour to $120/hour plus in our area for labor. I generaled our current 7600 sq ft home 17 years ago. I know what I’m speaking of. Right now you can find more value in an existing 2000+ sq ft home than you can building a 1300 sq ft home.

In general construction costs, but not quality, are lower in Texas and areas with large developers who employ unskilled migrant labor. Right before Covid I had to have a roof re-roofed on a house I own near Aksarben Village. I spent the day on the roof trying to show them how to flash and seal the area around the chimney amongst other things.
Is there anything you don't do?

Can you tell us about your time with the CIA?

What about when you helped that Russian sub defect?

Or when you helped stop those nuclear codes from falling into the wrong hands?

Dude makes up stuff constantly. Not sure why it’s worth bothering.

The anonymous “name-dropping” is something else. There used to be a 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, but it has been changed to the 2 degrees of Dingle.
This is a decent movie.

fredgraph.png

New builders getting rekt.. sale price doesn’t include incentives like rate buy downs, closing costs etc.

Inventory piling up for builders ..over 9 months of supply on the market

fredgraph.png

Reactions: GBRforLife1

I'd like to hear that. Maybe start a thread for each one. I mean as long as he puts an OT in the the thread title, should be gravy. And if it's sports related, you don't even need one. That's neat.

I just looked up three new construction spec houses near the field I run my bird dog. 1. First house in a brand-new area. Suppose to be 400 plus new homes. At the north side of the field I run my dog in. 3140 sq feet @ $302.52. 2. On the south side of the field. Houses were first built here about 5 years ago. 2000 sq. feet @ $364. 3. Also, on the south side of the field the third house is 2269 sq feet @ $396. So, I could easily see a custom house costing $400 sq feet or more. (These houses are all built on 7000-7500 sq feet lots. I don't like it. My house in a neighborhood of houses built between 1995 and 2005 all have lots that are between 10,000 -12,000 sq feet).

Last edited:
Reactions: GBRforLife1
Honestly... who the hell needs a house like that

Needs? Who the hell would want it? So tacky/garish. Pretty much a full gut for most buyers who can afford it. There's a reason it's been on and off the market for the better part of a year. They'll either take a bath on it or they'll need to find another "money can't buy class" buyer for that atrocity

Um… why are people posting about my house sale?

No offense, Max 😂

Reactions: SnohomishRed
I just looked up three new construction spec houses near the field I run my bird dog. 1. First house in a brand-new area. Suppose to be 400 plus new homes. At the north side of the field I run my dog in. 3140 sq feet @ $302.52. 2. On the south side of the field. Houses were first built here about 5 years ago. 2000 sq. feet @ $364. 3. Also, on the south side of the field the third house is 2269 sq feet @ $396. So, I could easily see a custom house costing $400 sq feet or more. (These houses are all built on 7000-7500 sq feet lots. I don't like it. My house in a neighborhood of houses built between 1995 and 2005 all have lots that are between 10,000 -12,000 sq feet).
How much are these lots?

I’ve done a lot. I was an ADD kid and that continued in to adulthood. ADD career. In addition to my actual professional career I’ve built clinic buildings, developed a rural home development, bought and sold multiple acreages and farms, farmed for the past 25 years, marketed registered cattle, had a series 7 securities license for a few years, etc. I’ve kept busy. I sold a business 25 years ago that allowed me to buy my first farm. Best move I’ve made.

I won’t divulge my kid’s security clearances😎

Reactions: countrybob
Its going to price a lot of potential clients out. It's gotten out of line. Part of the issue is hourly pay, but i've seen a lot of small construction business owners trying to live like they are wealthy ceo's of a major company.

I realize that there is a lot of stress and cost to own a business. But the price gouging that is going on between builders and suppliers has gotten out of line.

It now cost 4$ a brick to lay a standard wall. That is asinine.

Yep lot size is a big deal in Puget sound. Most of the new homes barely have enough room to put a BBQ out back - zero privacy close to zero lot lines. 7000 sq ft lot is huge in my area

Here is a new construction 20 miles north of seattle I believe the lot is 4000 sq ft

another - 3200 sq ft home 3600 sq ft lot - 1.2 mil

Last edited:
Reactions: Wasker77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT