ADVERTISEMENT

Harper Murray DUI

We've kind of been around and around on this, but I just want to point out that your counterpoint about speeding doesn't really hold water.

Dogs kill far more people in the US than sharks every year, but sharks are far more dangerous than dogs. The raw numbers you're citing don't take into account the frequency of encounters with both types of drivers. There is a huge difference in scale.

Here's another analogy I am sure will get your attention - which is more deadly - Covid or Ebola?
Dogs are more dangerous than sharks statistically speaking.

according to CDC you have higher chance of dying from Covid but lots of factors to consider.

Stop being so emotional and just accept probabilities.

Dogs are more dangerous than sharks statistically speaking.

according to CDC you have higher chance of dying from Covid but lots of factors to consider.

Stop being so emotional and just accept probabilities.
What do the words "statistical" and "probability" mean to you? Does your understanding of those concepts involve rates or ratios?

What do the words "statistical" and "probability" mean to you? Does your understanding of those concepts involve rates or ratios?
Death does not care about ratios or touch points. Probabilities is simply the most likely outcome. So to answer your questions again.

1. More likely you’ll die in car crash due to speed
2. More likely you’ll die from a dog vs a shark
3. More likely you’ll die from Covid or the “vax” vs Ebola

In 15 years Harper will be brown-bagging her breakfast trying to escape the pain of sobriety

I don’t see anyone saying “it’s no big deal”. What we’re saying is we don’t need to crucify her for it. Pay the fine. Admit your stupidity and get on with your life.
I mostly agree with you. But I think there are some pretty strong NBD vibes here. I suspect several people with DUI's, maybe multiple.

Death does not care about ratios or touch points. Probabilities is simply the most likely outcome. So to answer your questions again.

Okay. Are you arguing which is more likely or which is more dangerous?

My favorite statement to my clients back in the day was “statistics don’t mean much if your loved one is the 1 in a thousand that dies from a given disease process”. It became 1 out of 1 for you.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Likely. Therefore more dangerous.

Autonomous driving should be standard here within a decade so that will be awesome
Side point - totally agree about autonomous driving. Can't wait.

But disagree about more likely equals more dangerous. Your logic here is far too simple.

I'm more likely to die in bed than in my car. Is my bed more dangerous?

There are four times as many murders in all of Japan as there are in New Orleans each year...which is more dangerous?

I'm asking because you floated proportional punishment for speeding and DUI earlier. The reason the punishments are disproportionate is because one is orders of magnitude more dangerous than the other.

Even in terms of what is more likely, I think your logic is flawed. When taking into account an entire population, some outcomes occur more often than others, but that does not mean it is more likely. In my Japan example, I suppose it would be accurate to say that any random person in the world is more likely to be murdered in Japan vs. New Orleans, but who is more likely to be murdered - a resident of Japan or a resident of New Orleans?

I mostly agree with you. But I think there are some pretty strong NBD vibes here. I suspect several people with DUI's, maybe multiple.
I suspect a lot of people are like myself. Drove drunk way too much when younger, never hurt anyone, never got caught, and are thankful for that. We also aren't going to judge and crucify someone for something we did.

Other thing I would add is that most people don't go to the bar solo. Uber is probably the cost of a drink per person, for a guy of course.

You aren’t sorry. You often act like a jerk to people on here.
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

I suspect a lot of people are like myself. Drove drunk way too much when younger, never hurt anyone, never got caught, and are thankful for that. We also aren't going to judge and crucify someone for something we did.

Other thing I would add is that most people don't go to the bar solo. Uber is probably the cost of a drink per person, for a guy of course.
Fair assessment, and thanks for your honesty. I agree, it would be unfair and hypocritical to react as such in that case.

I myself have never driven while impaired. I did not discover the joys of alcohol until long after the prime age for such things. Now I drink at home only. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying then in turn to say that I do have the right to crucify someone for doing so. It's just that if I had made different choices, I'd like to think I'd have the wisdom now to say, "Holy shite, I was lucky", not, "Aw, leave them kids alone!"

In college...if I went out and I drove...I drove back drunk. Period.

Fair assessment, and thanks for your honesty. I agree, it would be unfair and hypocritical to react as such in that case.

I myself have never driven while impaired. I did not discover the joys of alcohol until long after the prime age for such things. Now I drink at home only. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying then in turn to say that I do have the right to crucify someone for doing so. It's just that if I had made different choices, I'd like to think I'd have the wisdom now to say, "Holy shite, I was lucky", not, "Aw, leave them kids alone!"
Muslim? When did you move to the states?

No one has advocated for anyone to drive drunk or be hurt. Some of you are really letting your true colors show and it ain't good.
Of course not, that would be abhorrent. But a "wink wink, nudge nudge, kids will be kids" attitude is foolish. What can I say...I'm a real "law and order" type.

I think the simple answer is...because you don't think you are that bad off?

Just put it another way...how many girls/guys have banged people they NEVER would have banged just because they were drunk? We just make dumb choices. The only reason I have had sex with TWO (no, I am not bragging) different girls, is because of booze.
I never went past 2nd with a woman when I knew we were both drunk. Shits too scary and I don't trust nobody. I dated ugly girls when I was sober because it was convenient and I had needs. Nowadays, either my wife or I have to be running at least a slight buzz to consider the other attractive, let alone bang it out. Cheers!

I never went past 2nd with a woman when I knew we were both drunk. Shits too scary and I don't trust nobody. I dated ugly girls when I was sober because it was convenient and I had needs. Nowadays, either my wife or I have to be running at least a slight buzz to consider the other attractive, let alone bang it out. Cheers!
People, with that level of honesty, this is a man you can trust.

Oh my god, I love this!

Reactions: 90sman
This post kept getting better

Have any of you ever ****ed when you and her were both fully sober? Totally weird, right?

No, virtue signaler. From this poster she gets one mulligan as long as no one was hurt.

But since you (not me) brought up county attorney, ever heard of diversion? A number of first offender DUI defendants get it.

Of all things to try to get pissy about......
Pissy? I asked a question. That’s all and seems as if you feel hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT