ADVERTISEMENT

Griffith

FSU fans are pissed. The are accusing NU of buying players...etc...Good to be running with the big dogs again in the recruiting game.

Yeah let me go ahead and call the WAAAAHHHmbulance for the FSU fans; they can STFU, screw FSU.

Note: As the child of Nebraska fans who was raised in Florida, I learned to loathe all Florida teams, but FSU and Miami in particular.

Anyone know what Schaefer said about Griffith this morning on Sharpe and Benning?

Anyone know what Schaefer said about Griffith this morning on Sharpe and Benning?

Just that he thinks he is N. but he is quiet. Has a great relationship with Dante and dad is also a fan of Dante. Lots of trust there.

Anyone else please feel free to elaborate on that.

The problem, IMHO, with taking 5, in this cycle, is that none of those dudes are redshirt candidates. So that creates a situation where you are out of whack with scholarship distribution in the coming years.

They'll have 3+ years to work that out... not an issue.

Have to remember a couple of these guys have the option of going over to the other side of the ball if needed and count against our wide receiver needs. Chase Williams for example.

Additionally, it is still up in the air if Blades is going to qualify which would open up another spot in the secondary. Tutt and Griffith are no brainers to take and if there is one more elite you could probably find another spot there.

When 1/3 of your scholarship DBs are in one class, it's an issue. Especially if it's ignored to "work itself out"

They may not be listed as redshirt candidates right now. But lets face it in reality someone is going to have trouble picking up the D as fast as everyone else and at least 1 of these guys is going to redshirt.

Last edited:
Yeah let me go ahead and call the WAAAAHHHmbulance for the FSU fans; they can STFU, screw FSU.

Note: As the child of Nebraska fans who was raised in Florida, I learned to loathe all Florida teams, but FSU and Miami in particular.

My time in Florida, 8 years, taught me that UF fans tend to be unbearable. FSU fans usually saw the N and would strike up a conversation about the 90's or something. Admittedly, this was before they got good again though.

Donte is trying to get our secondary to where the are leaving early. Numbers might get high now but they will certainly even out when you get studs that leave early..

Reactions: tdierberger
Remember each of the last two years everyone thought we were recruiting too well at WR?? How is that group looking going into the 2017 season?? You take athletes when you can get them and stick them where you can after they get on campus.

We have 3 senior starters in the backfield, we don't know what we have in Lamar Jackson, and we don't even know if Blades will be here or not.. add on I think Chase Williams ends up at WR... we all knew this class would be dominated by WR and DBs.
This. My thoughts exactly. Add in the fact as well that decommitments are always a possibility

They may not be listed as walk on candidates right now. But lets face it in reality someone is going to have trouble picking up the D as fast as everyone else and at least 1 of these guys is going to redshirt.

Sounds like "work itself out". I don't believe in work itself out.

If Nebraska signs Bookie, Tutt, Griffith, Goodrich and Chase ain't one of them redshirting.

Work itself out guy also said that only signing Blades last year will work itself out. Now it doesn't look like he will even make it.

If Nebraska signs Bookie, Tutt, Griffith, Goodrich and Chase ain't one of them redshirting.

Work itself out guy also said that only signing Blades last year will work itself out. Now it doesn't look like he will even make it.

Wait, I thought he was totally coming but maybe redshirting?

Is it still possible anymore for teams to “back count” scholarships to the previous year class for early enrollees? It seems like that has been done in the past as a way to get around the 25/year limits, not sure if it is applicable here. I guess I’m just wondering if there are some scholarships this fall that are left open (<85) due to players leaving or not qualifying, if early enrollees this coming class could count towards the 2017 class. NU has typically given those unfilled scholarships to walk-ons, but maybe if back counting is an option, that might be a way to go. Admittedly, I’m not sure how it works, so I may be way out in left field.

Is it still possible anymore for teams to “back count” scholarships to the previous year class for early enrollees? It seems like that has been done in the past as a way to get around the 25/year limits, not sure if it is applicable here. I guess I’m just wondering if there are some scholarships this fall that are left open (<85) due to players leaving or not qualifying, if early enrollees this coming class could count towards the 2017 class. NU has typically given those unfilled scholarships to walk-ons, but maybe if back counting is an option, that might be a way to go. Admittedly, I’m not sure how it works, so I may be way out in left field.

Yearly numbers and back counting are meaningless, we are up against the 85 total.

The class size isn't the problem I'm talking about. Assigning an EE to the 2017 class doesn't change their individual eligibility calendar.

Counting the scholarship to a previous class, like you said, allows you to circumvent the 25 per class rule. This clas won't get near 26-28 to where that would be in play.

There are 5 scholarships "available". I am pretty sure Conrad and Reimers are already taking 2 of them. And will keep them going forward. That leaves 5 more available to go with the 10 already committed. Then there is KJJ scholarship that is a wildcard plus the Blades and Watts scholarships that are probably open. So 7-8. So the class looks like 17 or 18 as of now.

Last edited:
The class size isn't the problem I'm talking about. Assigning an EE to the 2017 class doesn't change their individual eligibility calendar.
Gotchya. As I said, I wasn't sure how back counting worked. I thought that maybe an EE that counted back to the previous class effectively burned his redshirt, leaving 4 to play 4. Which would separate him for the rest of the class who have 5 to play 4. But as you said, if none are redshirt candidates, than it wouldn't matter anyway. Thanks.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

Counting the scholarship to a previous class, like you said, allows you to circumvent the 25 per class rule. This clas won't get near 26-28 to where that would be in play.

There are 5 scholarships "available". I am pretty sure Conrad and Reimers are already taking 2 of them. And will keep them going forward. That leaves 5 more available to go with the 10 already committed. Then there is KJJ scholarship that is a wildcard plus the Blades and Watts scholarships that are probably open. So 7-8. So the class looks like 17 or 18 as of now.

I guess that means chase probably stays a DB and we continue on the WR board

When 1/3 of your scholarship DBs are in one class, it's an issue. Especially if it's ignored to "work itself out"
Yeah ur right these coaches will prolly ignore it, they donyt seem to have a clue. Anything else we should worry abt before the kids start their senior year?

Yeah ur right these coaches will prolly ignore it, they donyt seem to have a clue. Anything else we should worry abt before the kids start their senior year?
Pretty sure tuco's comments were for the poster who said things will work themselves out, not the coaches. Don't make it into something it's not...

@suhnami... proof that Tuco wasn't suggesting the coaches work in this fashion, nor does Tuco feel this way. Just a few posts down from the one you quoted.

1 or more would redshirt id imagine.

1 or more would redshirt id imagine.

4 seniors gone after this year, 3 starters. New position coach, new DC and system. The DBs currently on the roster were not recruited by this defensive staff. Unless Butler, Dismuke, and Anderson step up, I don't think they redshirt.

To me, there's a better chance for attrition than redshirting this group.

4 seniors gone after this year, 3 starters. New position coach, new DC and system. The DBs currently on the roster were not recruited by this defensive staff. Unless Butler, Dismuke, and Anderson step up, I don't think they redshirt.

To me, there's a better chance for attrition than redshirting this group.
I think you could see a scenerio where they are redshirt until needed. There will be enough freshmen to fill in if needed or they are just that good, but i can't see more than a few because 1 will obviously be better than the others if that makes sense...that one or two will play but not all...you can still learn and be ready to play the next year as a redshirt.
If you are correct, which you may end up being, I have to think its because we decide to pull a redshirt, not that we start out that way.

I think you could see a scenerio where they are redshirt until needed. There will be enough freshmen to fill in if needed or they are just that good, but i can't see more than a few because 1 will obviously be better than the others if that makes sense...that one or two will play but not all...you can still learn and be ready to play the next year as a redshirt.
If you are correct, which you may end up being, I have to think its because we decide to pull a redshirt, not that we start out that way.
When is the last time we had an entire position group of freshmen this big all not redshirt? I understand this is unique due to the roster construction and the talent of this (potential) 5 man haul but that is a lot of freshmen to throw out there. Seems like every year there's a guy that didn't get the playbook or didn't acclimate quickly or this or that and had to redshirt. Maybe that won't be the case and y'all are right without Blades that hole is even bigger, but I don't see 5 true freshmen in the secondary. It'd be nearly impossible for all of them to make a big contribution so I'd hope they'd try to save those that would play sparingly. Hopefully we can close out this class strong and find out.

Play does not mean start. Or even all play at the same time. Special teams can use elite athletes on coverage teams and return game.

I can't help but wonder what some people are on in here.

This notion that we will have 4 or 5 freshmen in the secondary and none of them will redshirt because they are all 4 stars is absolutely ridiculous.

No. The guys that prove they can contribute meaningfully will play. The rest will RS. This will not only help build depth, but also bust the class up a bit among 2 cycles, making most of this thread totally meaningless.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I can't help but wonder what some people are on in here.

This notion that we will have 4 or 5 freshmen in the secondary and none of them will redshirt because they are all 4 stars is absolutely ridiculous.

No. The guys that prove they can contribute meaningfully will play. The rest will RS. This will not only help build depth, but also bust the class up a bit among 2 cycles, making most of this thread totally meaningless.

I'm on the drug called reality.

Bookie will play from the jump, there was already talk of Blades coming in and competing for PT and Bookie is every bit as talented, if not more.

Griffith is as smooth an athlete as you will see. He will play, at worst on special teams.

Tutt- see Bookie

Goodrich - again a player who will be able to come in and compete for time at special teams.

Dante Williams isn't recruiting guys to be here 5 years. Most Elite level dudes don't take that path, except QB, OLine and DLine, and not always at DLine. When you have elite recruiters like the Williams' you want to avoid these small classes of 18 or less.

I believe you will see a change in redshirt culture going forward, especially at the skill positions on offense and the back 7 on defense.

I look at it like this, if the guy is an elite player, you get him on the field as soon as possible, because if he is truly elite, he won't be around 5 years.

If the guy is average or below average, why would you want him around for 5 years when you can cycle out in 4 and get more recruits annually.

Redshirting should be used for injuries, transfers in, QBs and above average and below interior linemen ( not elite)

Go Big Red‏@GBRFootball8 Jul 6

It's a movement. #GBR #NE18RASKA
1f440.png
1f33d.png
1f534.png
1f3f4.png
2620.png
pic.twitter.com/q2tkQyRDyr

DEGSAEvVoAIwjhJ.jpg

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Something to keep in mind is the shift happening in football at all levels. Much more passing going on with the rules favoring the passing game. You will see a lot more DBs and hybrid LB/safety types in the coming years. Many of these guys could put on 20-30 pounds and be those hybrids. The Eagles are in the process of turning Nate Gerry into one.

If we can close with Griffith, Tutt, and Hufanga, we will be in tremendous shape in the back seven.

I'm on the drug called reality.

Bookie will play from the jump, there was already talk of Blades coming in and competing for PT and Bookie is every bit as talented, if not more.

Griffith is as smooth an athlete as you will see. He will play, at worst on special teams.

Tutt- see Bookie
Are you sure about Tutt being on the same level as Bookie? He didn't look like it from the clips I saw of him at FNL.

Are you sure about Tutt being on the same level as Bookie? He didn't look like it from the clips I saw of him at FNL.

I didn't get to see the one on ones, but during the group drills he looked like a Bookie clone and possibly quicker out of his breaks. The dude is talented. There is a reason he is chosing between Nebraska, Florida State and Alabama.

Reactions: Husker Sledge
From what I read in the 247 VIP section, it's that his dad is super high on us right now after the visit, Donte Williams is on him like white on rice, and he is really happy with the idea of playing with Bookie in college. So, I think it's probably some interview or something he tweeted that caused the CB's to start rolling in.

My question is, this guy is rated even higher than Josh Moore, and that would be what, 4 guys already going to the Secondary? Chase Williams, Bookie, and Mario Goodrich? Add Griffith in and it's like...how many more elite secondary guys do we need? I would love to take Tutt too, as the guy looks like a beast, but do we need 5 guys in the secondary?

I tend to believe Tuco's breakdown of class needs, and I think the last one he put up indicated we could or would take 1 more CB and 1 Safety-style player. Well, ok, so of those names, which one would be a big enough athlete to go over to Safety instead of play CB?

And yes, by the way, if we landed Griffith (and even just stopped there) and Tutt, we would probably have "the" best secondary class in the nation. In 2-3 years, nobody would be able to pass on us.
If blades ever gets here too...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT