ADVERTISEMENT

Griffith

You can add Warren and Scherer to that list for 6 CB picks all in just over an hours time

Something must have broke to open that floodgate. Good news for us. And maybe better BTN coverage due to his dad?

Reactions: t7w0c1
Something must have broke to open that floodgate. Good news for us. And maybe better BTN coverage due to his dad?

giphy.gif

From what I read in the 247 VIP section, it's that his dad is super high on us right now after the visit, Donte Williams is on him like white on rice, and he is really happy with the idea of playing with Bookie in college. So, I think it's probably some interview or something he tweeted that caused the CB's to start rolling in.

My question is, this guy is rated even higher than Josh Moore, and that would be what, 4 guys already going to the Secondary? Chase Williams, Bookie, and Mario Goodrich? Add Griffith in and it's like...how many more elite secondary guys do we need? I would love to take Tutt too, as the guy looks like a beast, but do we need 5 guys in the secondary?

I tend to believe Tuco's breakdown of class needs, and I think the last one he put up indicated we could or would take 1 more CB and 1 Safety-style player. Well, ok, so of those names, which one would be a big enough athlete to go over to Safety instead of play CB?

And yes, by the way, if we landed Griffith (and even just stopped there) and Tutt, we would probably have "the" best secondary class in the nation. In 2-3 years, nobody would be able to pass on us.

Griffith would represent a +1 above a true need. But he's a Top 50 kind of player, so he's a take no matter what guy.

I believe 2 more DL would be a +1 situation as well, I think we went into the year thinking we'd take 2 or 3 total, but we may end up with 3 or 4.

From what I read in the 247 VIP section, it's that his dad is super high on us right now after the visit, Donte Williams is on him like white on rice, and he is really happy with the idea of playing with Bookie in college. So, I think it's probably some interview or something he tweeted that caused the CB's to start rolling in.

My question is, this guy is rated even higher than Josh Moore, and that would be what, 4 guys already going to the Secondary? Chase Williams, Bookie, and Mario Goodrich? Add Griffith in and it's like...how many more elite secondary guys do we need? I would love to take Tutt too, as the guy looks like a beast, but do we need 5 guys in the secondary?

I tend to believe Tuco's breakdown of class needs, and I think the last one he put up indicated we could or would take 1 more CB and 1 Safety-style player. Well, ok, so of those names, which one would be a big enough athlete to go over to Safety instead of play CB?

And yes, by the way, if we landed Griffith (and even just stopped there) and Tutt, we would probably have "the" best secondary class in the nation. In 2-3 years, nobody would be able to pass on us.

I think the staff philosophy is that any of those guys could play any position. But I believe Griffith and Goodrich are looked at as future Safeties.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Both posts make sense. Good to know. And yeah, I suppose that's right, Tuco; any of these dudes would make excellent WR's if we got too full. Ironically, that's the other position where we have an elite recruiter landing some damn good players right now, so it's not like the spillover would fill in a huge need.

I honestly think Chase should move to WR. And I've been on the Bookie-is-a-future-safety train but if we land Griffith, Idk because I definitely thing Mario is a lock at safety. And I still don't think it's over with Jordan Moore either; once Sumlin is canned (which is almost 100% unless they win their division) I think Jordan looks around and looks at us first. Maybe Griffith could be that Jabrill Peppers type hybrid LB/S? Let him blitz off the edges and control the flats. IDK, this is a good problem to have.

Yes... we do

We signed 1 last year

You add 5 this year that averages out to 3 each year

I honestly think Chase should move to WR. And I've been on the Bookie-is-a-future-safety train but if we land Griffith, Idk because I definitely thing Mario is a lock at safety. And I still don't think it's over with Jordan Moore either; once Sumlin is canned (which is almost 100% unless they win their division) I think Jordan looks around and looks at us first. Maybe Griffith could be that Jabrill Peppers type hybrid LB/S? Let him blitz off the edges and control the flats. IDK, this is a good problem to have.

I have to think if Tutt commits, Moore is out of luck. Unless we are really high on Chase Williams at WR over the other WR targets.

Yes... we do

We signed 1 last year

You see my point, though, right? It just feels funny at first to be taking soooooo many. However, if the need is there and we have one of if not the best recruiters in the country landing top 100 recruits...I mean, as was just said in another post...this is a very good problem to have.

Remember each of the last two years everyone thought we were recruiting too well at WR?? How is that group looking going into the 2017 season?? You take athletes when you can get them and stick them where you can after they get on campus.

We have 3 senior starters in the backfield, we don't know what we have in Lamar Jackson, and we don't even know if Blades will be here or not.. add on I think Chase Williams ends up at WR... we all knew this class would be dominated by WR and DBs.

Remember each of the last two years everyone thought we were recruiting too well at WR?? How is that group looking going into the 2017 season?? You take athletes when you can get them and stick them where you can after they get on campus.

We have 3 senior starters in the backfield, we don't know what we have in Lamar Jackson, and we don't even know if Blades will be here or not.. add on I think Chase Williams ends up at WR... we all knew this class would be dominated by WR and DBs.

Except for the clowns that wonder why we don't have 5 OL in a class of 15 (which is slowly moving upward). You know because you take 4-5 every year. :)

Yes... we do

We signed 1 last year

The problem, IMHO, with taking 5, in this cycle, is that none of those dudes are redshirt candidates. So that creates a situation where you are out of whack with scholarship distribution in the coming years.

The problem, IMHO, with taking 5, in this cycle, is that none of those dudes are redshirt candidates. So that creates a situation where you are out of whack with scholarship distribution in the coming years.

Not even Williams?

Quite a few folks seem to think he might be in for a position switch, although I'm not totally in the loop on that.

You see my point, though, right? It just feels funny at first to be taking soooooo many. However, if the need is there and we have one of if not the best recruiters in the country landing top 100 recruits...I mean, as was just said in another post...this is a very good problem to have.
I understand the concern with this being such a small class, but you don't turn away Tutt or Griffith at the position of need.

I talked to a friend of mine and we have been discussing this years class and how crazy it is that it has to be a small class. We talk heavily about the OL... Also talk heavily about the DE/OLB/Pass Rusher position and how we are lacking there... The we mention the Watts situation... So I did a little research and I came to a thought that may happen.

We have A LOT of LB's right now and the majority of them are ILB size. I feel we are going to see a bit of attrition at that position very soon. Not sure who, but there will be some

30 Quayshon Alexander LB 6-3 245 RFr. Prospect Park, N.J. (De Paul Catholic)
7 Mohamed Barry LB 6-1 230 So. Grayson, Ga. (Grayson)
51 Jared Brugmann LB 6-2 230 So. Gretna, Neb. (Gretna)
26 Thomas Connely LB 5-11 225 Jr. Kearney, Neb. (Kearney Catholic)
22 Alex Davis LB 6-5 255 So. Riviera Beach, Fla. (Dwyer)
43 Tyrin Ferguson LB 6-2 225 So. New Orleans, La. (Edna Karr)
12 Luke Gifford LB 6-3 235 Jr. Lincoln, Neb. (Southeast)
Willie Hampton LB 6-1 225 Fr. Plantation, Fla. (American Hertiage)
38 Damian Jackson LB 6-1 245 Fr. Las Vegas, Nev. (Shadow Ridge)
32 Pernell Jefferson LB 6-2 235 RFr. New Orleans, La. (Warren Easton)
40 Grant Jordan LB 6-2 205 RFr. Omaha, Neb. (Westside)
17 Sedrick King LB 6-4 245 Jr. Plant City, Fla. (Plant City)
Cody Liske LB 6-0 200 Fr. Bennington, Neb. (Bennington)
98 Collin Miller LB 6-3 235 RFr. Fishers, Ind. (Hamilton Southeastern)
3 Marcus Newby LB 6-1 235 Sr. North Potomac, Md. (Quince Orchard)
15 Avery Roberts LB 6-1 230 Fr. Wilmington, Del. (Concord)
95 Ben Stille LB 6-5 255 RFr. Ashland, Neb. (Ashland-Greenwood)
Andrew Ward LB 6-1 200 Fr. Muskegon, Mich. (Muskegon)
49 Chris Weber LB 6-3 240 Sr. Omaha, Neb. (Elkhorn)
57 Jacob Weinmaster LB 6-0 215 So. Loveland, Colo. (Loveland)
5 Dedrick Young II LB 6-1 235 Jr. Peoria, Ariz. (Centennial)

I understand the concern with this being such a small class, but you don't turn away Tutt or Griffith at the position of need.

I talked to a friend of mine and we have been discussing this years class and how crazy it is that it has to be a small class. We talk heavily about the OL... Also talk heavily about the DE/OLB/Pass Rusher position and how we are lacking there... The we mention the Watts situation... So I did a little research and I came to a thought that may happen.

We have A LOT of LB's right now and the majority of them are ILB size. I feel we are going to see a bit of attrition at that position very soon. Not sure who, but there will be some

Whew! That IS a lot of LB's! And you're right, I only see Stille, King, Davis, and Alexander as guys big enough to be the OLB that is more like a DE. The rest are all arguably ILB sized right now. A large number of those guys are non-scholarship, but still...

I think if Tutt and Griffith commit them it assures Chase goes to the offense. Keeping the DBs at 4
Man Tutt and Bookie at Cornerback and Jackson and Griffith at Saftey... OMG that is scary!!! Mike Brown/Ralph Brown combo x2

I think you need to take the walk ons out of the discussion when talking about attrition.

Apparently Stille is now at DE, and Miller moved from Inside to outside.

There are 16 scholarship LBs, Newby, Weber, King, Gifford and Young aren't going anywhere as juniors.

Barry and Alex Davis are in a position to get good playing time. The rest are true and redshirt freshmen, except Furgeson, who already used his redshirt.

I also think some of those body types have changed a little from last fall.

I am looking forward to seeing a depth chart for the defense to see where these players actually stack up.

Man Tutt and Bookie at Cornerback and Jackson and Griffith at Saftey... OMG that is scary!!! Mike Brown/Ralph Brown combo x2

Well Goodrich and Griffith at Safety. Jackson would probably stick at corner where he's at now???

Well Goodrich and Griffith at Safety. Jackson would probably stick at corner where he's at now???
We land Tutt and Griffith... Jackson can go back to Safety where I think he is better suited for. Either way Tutt and Bookie are lock down corners, and they are ideal for that position. It is fun to talk about this stuff. Also an injury is not going to matter with the depth we are starting to develop. I really like what I am seeing right now!

Griffith would be a great for us. 3, 4, 5 years down the line, who knows who will pan out, transfer, etc. I'll be honest, I'm not going to go look at the scholarship distribution numbers.

I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else. There was correlation between big plays and success (I'll be specific here, success = winning games). I like the concept of "lockdown U".

Griffith would be a great for us. 3, 4, 5 years down the line, who knows who will pan out, transfer, etc. I'll be honest, I'm not going to go look at the scholarship distribution numbers.

I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else. There was correlation between big plays and success (I'll be specific here, success = winning games). I like the concept of "lockdown U".

Well, I think that ship sailed. Lockdown U was Stewarts thing. I don't know that I've seen too much, if any reference to that. Donte uses #MoneyTeam

And he throws the Bones a lot.

Well, I think that ship sailed. Lockdown U was Stewarts thing. I don't know that I've seen too much, if any reference to that. Donte uses #MoneyTeam

And he throws the Bones a lot.

Ya, I shouldn't have used "lockdown U". A secondary that can limit big plays would be wonderful. Recruiting players that elevate our secondary would be wonderful as well.

Why has rice always gotta be White? That be racist.

In the dime package there are 6 guys in the secondary... so yeah you need 5+. And as hurting as our talent level is you take every amazing athlete you can get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT