ADVERTISEMENT

Grant Seagren

Husker.Wed.

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
Anybody have any insight on him? Bio says he was a TE and defensive player (lineman?) in HS. The guy has seemed to come out of nowhere. NU bio says he weighs 260, depth chart says 305, so I guess he put on 45 pounds during his redshirt year?

just another in-state walk-on making good on his opportunity

good on him beating out so many highly touted recruits

Anybody have any insight on him? Bio says he was a TE and defensive player (lineman?) in HS. The guy has seemed to come out of nowhere. NU bio says he weighs 260, depth chart says 305, so I guess he put on 45 pounds during his redshirt year?
I didn't get this either... Saw him #2 at LT behind Turner.

Where'd that come from??

Coaches have mentioned him all fall. Still surprising, but not out of nowhere. His HS class in Nebraska was loaded that year with OL and we have three of them. Competiton, baby, competition.

The pessimist in me hopes this is not a symptom we continue to lag behind in developing or missing on scholarship OL talent. Of the 8 scholarship OL recruits in the 2023-2024 classes, only one made this depth chart, while two 2023 walk-ons did. I like the feel good walk-on story as much as anyone who knows the storied history of NU's walk-on program, but also like to see that we have young scholarship OL talent that is too good to keep off the depth chart.

Reactions: king_kong_
Watched him play HS basketball a few times (always losing to BRLD). He was a physical and aggressive kid then, if he's 300+ now look out. It's not a feel good walk-on story to me, just play the best guys on the roster. No one deserves to play just because they were highly recruited. Put it on tape.

The pessimist in me hopes this is not a symptom we continue to lag behind in developing or missing on scholarship OL talent. Of the 8 scholarship OL recruits in the 2023-2024 classes, only one made this depth chart, while two 2023 walk-ons did. I like the feel good walk-on story as much as anyone who knows the storied history of NU's walk-on program, but also like to see that we have young scholarship OL talent that is too good to keep off the depth chart.

Thank goodness for the portal

He was headed to South Dakota State, when the staff convinced him to walk-on. He was 6'7, 265 then and has gained 30lbs since.
This makes me feel a lot better. If Rhule can reverse the tide of good in-state players leaving for the dakotas that would be awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT