ADVERTISEMENT

Good thread on Tony White’s Defense

If White can be the real deal for us, it’d be such a game changer.
child-parents-pray_SI.jpg

I think we’re going to force a ton of turnovers this year
Turnovers are forced by great dline play...or at least having one dlineman that creates double teams as this opens up pass rush opportunities on all downs, allows safeties to rush the passer, the corners to play tight at the line which allows them to play the ball on passing routes. The last time our defense was good was the last time we had a great dlineman...two years ago we had a decent line and our defense became average for the first time 8 years. So who is going to step up and be all-conference, top 3 round pick on the dline? Otherwise we better score a lot of points.

Look what the 3-3-5 Defense did for TCU against Georgia, 65-7 thrashing!

That Defense is made for Spread Offenses soley, not against power teams as it was just proven by having been handed the greatest blowout in a Natty game ever which 95 DONU owned until this year.. Just sayin!

Be careful what you wish for!

That Defense is made for Spread Offenses soley, not against power teams as it was just proven by having been handed the greatest blowout in a Natty game ever which 95 DONU owned until this year.. Just sayin!

TCU didn't belong in the playoffs and got exposed. They are a glorified Mountain West team trying to play big boy football

They also got to the National Championship game and beat Michigan along the way. Teams with every single scheme on Earth have had both success and failure in every conference. Football is football.

Mike Gundy recently hired a a defensive coordinator to run a 3-3-5 stack defense, similar to TCU and ISU. It seems like a good fit for the Big 12.

After White was hired, I read a Syracuse thread where they were questioning why a 3-3-5 coach was hired in the run heavy Big 10. Two things...Some Big 10 teams (Wisconsin) may be transitioning away from run heavy offenses and the 3-3-5 seems to have the flexibility to play multiple fronts. It will be interesting to see, for sure.

Reactions: moralvictories
Mike Gundy recently hired a a defensive coordinator to run a 3-3-5 stack defense, similar to TCU and ISU. It seems like a good fit for the Big 12.

After White was hired, I read a Syracuse thread where they were questioning why a 3-3-5 coach was hired in the run heavy Big 10. Two things...Some Big 10 teams (Wisconsin) may be transitioning away from run heavy offenses and the 3-3-5 seems to have the flexibility to play multiple fronts. It will be interesting to see, for sure.
The flexibility of the 3-3-5 seems to be the hope. OSU runs a pretty wide open offense. USC and UCLA as well. Who knows where things go. I don’t think Harbaugh will stay on too much longer either. Get the Jimmies and Joes and the 3-3-5 will work just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
The flexibility of the 3-3-5 seems to be the hope. OSU runs a pretty wide open offense. USC and UCLA as well. Who knows where things go. I don’t think Harbaugh will stay on too much longer either. Get the Jimmies and Hoes and the 3-3-5 will work just fine.
I think the worry about the 3-3-5 is how run heavy the B1G is. We played 4 straight games against ridiculous RBs last year. Our D didn’t need to be multiple that much against those offenses. We just needed to control the line of scrimmage. B1G will nickel and dime you to death. It’s a different beast. I’d love to run a 3-3-5 in the ACC and Big12. I just don’t know in the B1G. We shall see.

But I’m hoping that it works. The defense is a question mark. Young coaches. Different style of D. If it doesn’t work, it seems like the signs are obvious why. But on a positive side, I don’t think Whites going to be just hell bent on his base if he ends up lining up against big run heavy teams. I just don’t think he wants to go lite on that.

Reactions: timnsun
The flexibility of the 3-3-5 seems to be the hope. OSU runs a pretty wide open offense. USC and UCLA as well. Who knows where things go. I don’t think Harbaugh will stay on too much longer either. Get the Jimmies and Hoes and the 3-3-5 will work just fine.

I agree get the Jimmie and Hoes.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
Perhaps you need the Hoes to get the Jimmies? 🤔
According to “bros before hoes” the Jimmies may come first…. or has it been backwards all this time? “Ladies first” has been a staple as well.

I say we listen to the Beatles: “Come together.”

I think the ability to confuse the OL is another aspect that appealed to Rhule. You have to assume Rhule knows what he's doing and understands the B1G with his penchant for studying things. We'll see.

I kind of thought it was about getting a young, up and coming DC who happened to be friends with Rhule, and less about what his D is called. I think the alignments will change game to game or within the game. It's not like there is a rule you have to disclose your base D at the start of the season and then you can't change it.

When's the last time we pried a coordinator away from somewhere that wanted to keep them? Seems like we always either end up with old guys with a mediocre history or we provide on the job training.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Bill Bush has said we were in 3-3-5 70% of the time last year. It’s pretty flexible, can easily look like a alot of formations, sometimes we walked so many guys Io it looked like a 5-3.
Well you can reference Bush went with the a
3-3-5 70% of time but don’t fail to remember the team went 3-5 with him as D-Cord. So not sure that’s a fantastic reference. But his scheme did show promise at times
(Sort of ironic, lots of 3-5 LOL).

Bush’s team also lost that 4 game stretch ( ILL - Wis) of going against fantastic RBs ( I mentioned earlier). Look at the time of possession battle in those 4 games. Those games weren’t about making the offenses guessing. It wasn’t about causing confusion. Those games were about muscle on muscle. hat on hat. Whose stronger. Whose mentally tougher. vintage Big Ten football. The offense weren’t giving us confusing looks…

i don’t know, maybe the 3-3-5 will work. But the super powers in this league seem to favor 4-2-5 against a run heavy conference. Pulling for Tony. But he gets no passes or breaks. Here to produce day 1… I don’t love that Rhule didn’t really let Tony hire any D coaches… All Rhule’s guys

Last edited:
Bill Bush has said we were in 3-3-5 70% of the time last year. It’s pretty flexible, can easily look like a alot of formations, sometimes we walked so many guys Io it looked like a 5-3.
There’s not a team on our schedule we can’t handle 1on1 on the outside

We should be pressing every down and daring our opponents to beat us deep before 6+ can get to the quarterback

Exact formula illinois used against its pillow soft schedule last year

3-3-5 70% of time but don’t fail to remember the team went 3-5 with him as D-Cord. So not sure that’s a fantastic reference. But his scheme did show promise at times

Bush’s team also lost that 4 game stretch ( ILL - Wis) of going against fantastic RBs ( I mentioned earlier). Look at the time of possession battle in those 4 games. Those games weren’t about making the offenses guessing. It wasn’t about causing confusion. Those games were about muscle on muscle. hat on hat. Whose stronger. Whose mentally tougher. vintage Big Ten football. The offense weren’t giving us confusing looks…

i don’t know, maybe the 3-3-5 will work. But the super powers in this league seem to favor 4-2-5 against a run heavy conference. Pulling for Tony. But he gets no passes or breaks. Here to produce day 1… I don’t love that Rhule didn’t really let Tony hire any D coaches… All Rhule’s guys
Bush also took over when the season was already underway so he didn't have any pre-season prep time to install his defense or recruit players suited to his style of defense.

Bush also took over when the season was already underway so he didn't have any pre-season prep time to install his defense or recruit players suited to his style of defense.
Agree

Along those same lines, he took over a defense that was hesitant and was overcome with paralysis by analysis and had a couple of injuries.

I will have to review the games but I don’t think Busch was as aggressive as White will be. More Iowa St ish 3-3-5 than Long’s 3-3-5

Nebraska didn't lose time of possession because of the defense, they did so because Whipple's offense and the MASH unit at QB went 3 and out on 95% of their possessions. Busch's D was holding its own against Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin, but ran out of gas by the end because the offense couldn't keep the ball longer than 30 seconds. Strength and conditioning also deserves a little blame here, given the team looked gassed in the first half of the Northwestern game. Hands on hips and sucking wind in the 2Q is embarrassing, especially against a team that would go winless afterward.

They were overmatched against Michigan but still managed to keep it somewhat close while the offense shit itself all over the field.

The scheme is not my concern, it is if Rhule can get them in better shape, and deliver on his promise of complementary football. Mickey finally got somewhat of a complete performance against Iowa, when the offense finally started letting the play clock run a little bit before snapping the ball just to get at least one minute of TOP on their 3 and outs :rolleyes:

TCU didn't belong in the playoffs and got exposed. They are a glorified Mountain West team trying to play big boy football
For being a glorified Mountain West team, they sure humiliated Shitchicken pretty Bad. So with that being said, they are A LOT better than a Mountain West Team.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
For being a glorified Mountain West team, they sure humiliated Shitchicken pretty Bad. So with that being said, they are A LOT better than a Mountain West Team.
No, they clearly are a Mountain West level team. The fact that two former Mountain West teams (TCU and Utah) played in conference championships for the Big 12 and the PAC 12, shows just how bad these conferences have become.

Tulane, an AAC team, beat the Big 12 conference champion and the PAC 12 runner up, is further evidence of how bad these conferences are. The Big 12 and the PAC 12 are the new Mountain West and the new AAC.

It's funny because when the Big 12 expanded recently, they brought in teams from the AAC and BYU which was a Mountain West team before going independent. The PAC 12 is considering bringing in SMU and San Diego State, an AAC and a Mountain West team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT