ADVERTISEMENT

Good grief. Can we please get an AD hired soon?

Kids want to play meaningful snaps in games, not just be practice players for 3 or 4 year. Costs are up. Players at smaller FCS schools and DII are getting drafted. There is so much more to it than just playing for the home team

Many Husker fans are blind to these factors in 2017.

Here is a quote from an instate kid who just visited.

"I've pulled offers from UNI, Chadron State, Simpson and Emporia State. Currently Nebraska says that they want me as a walk-on but I'm not sure I can afford that."

Cost of school is definitely an issue with these kids.
If he's talking about Simpson College in Iowa, they are NCAA Div 3 and can't offer athletic scholarships. Maybe another Simpson perhaps.

If he's talking about Simpson College in Iowa, they are NCAA Div 3 and can't offer athletic scholarships. Maybe another Simpson perhaps.
They do offer academic scholarships. Maybe that is what he's talking about. But, you are right. Simpson doesn't offer athletic scholarships.

Ok, so now me wondering why DR is continually banging the walk on drum when the walk on program is way down the list of things wrong with this program is implying that I don't agree with Eichorst being fired? Good grief dude. Go to bed. You're loopy. You have no idea.

Maybe its you that is loopy. Dave Rimington is one of the most respected individuals at all levels of football and as part of the Boomer foundation. For some reason you seem to disagree with him wanting more talent in here and have reverted to name calling and bitching about what he is doing. He has only been here a little while and quite frankly......you have no idea what all he is doing or allowed to do. I think it would probably be a good idea for you to go to bed......relax a little and give it a few more weeks. What you fail to understand is that so-called list of things we have a problem with he is not allowed to comment on in public. That so called list primarily involves coaching so the first 12 items on the list he can't discuss.

Maybe......and this is an opinion only.....that it isn't me who doesn't have an idea.

Reactions: Huskerpro
Maybe its you that is loopy. Dave Rimington is one of the most respected individuals at all levels of football and as part of the Boomer foundation. For some reason you seem to disagree with him wanting more talent in here and have reverted to name calling and bitching about what he is doing. He has only been here a little while and quite frankly......you have no idea what all he is doing or allowed to do. I think it would probably be a good idea for you to go to bed......relax a little and give it a few more weeks. What you fail to understand is that so-called list of things we have a problem with he is not allowed to comment on in public. That so called list primarily involves coaching so the first 12 items on the list he can't discuss.

Maybe......and this is an opinion only.....that it isn't me who doesn't have an idea.
So he is basically completely worthless and comes across as a neck. Neat. If well respected in the athletics community was enough to be a candidate, Eichorst would still be here. But alas he hired a failing coach and did not constantly suck up to certain boosters.

So he is basically completely worthless and comes across as a neck. Neat. If well respected in the athletics community was enough to be a candidate, Eichorst would still be here. But alas he hired a failing coach and did not constantly suck up to certain boosters.
specifically he comes across very well and you come across as just another jerk off.

specifically he comes across very well and you come across as just another jerk off.
Lol. That's all you got? He has no idea what to do besides invite his family to his office to sit in the sweet chairs that spin around. #facebookphoto #tommyboyad

I'll give him a pass on the walk on noise. He's right we need to see something happen on the field though...Troy next year is coming for us.

So lets be real here. Riley could take more walk-ons, but we've had multiple folks from people who attend practice to former coaches/assistants say that the roster size is about as big as it should be given the limits in the number of stations you can run.

Arguably a coach who is better than Riley will be a net detriment to walk-ons. We've had several folks note that we have too many walk-ons on scholarship because we don't fill them all up, which is a detriment to our overall talent level. (Bad for NU, but a good overall thing for walk-ons).

It was only a year or two ago, that Nebraska and Iowa were 1-2 in the number of walk-ons in the two deep.

The fact that that we don't have 19 or whatever walk-ons in the NFL like Wisconsin probably speaks to the fact that most of our walk-ons haven't been all that good.

It would help if folks would define specifically what they want from the walk on program. Do they need more game snaps? More scholarship opportunities? Do we just need to take more of them to "lock up the state" even if we can't actually coach them?

Just saying "we need a better walk-on program" is not enough.

Lol. That's all you got? He has no idea what to do besides invite his family to his office to sit in the sweet chairs that spin around. #facebookphoto #tommyboyad

It's not going to even be 60 days he's here, so don't have a stroke. Wish you'd have this level of concern for MR. #deckchairsonthetitanic

Only in Nebraska do people freak out so much about what an interim administrator says. We'll have a permanent athletic director soon.

Perhaps Eichorst should have developed some other competent administrators under him, instead of keeping failures like Boehm around.

Only in Nebraska do people freak out so much about what an interim administrator says. We'll have a permanent athletic director soon.

Perhaps Eichorst should have developed some other competent administrators under him, instead of keeping failures like Boehm around.
There are plenty of people down there that could have done it (agree on Boehm). It has been written about how the department has a lot of good, smart people in it, and that it will be easy for the next AD to slide in. Hiring #tommyboyad to yammer on about the past, and walk ons was just candy for the narrow-minded who think warm and fuzzy memories is gonna make things better in the future.

So lets be real here. Riley could take more walk-ons, but we've had multiple folks from people who attend practice to former coaches/assistants say that the roster size is about as big as it should be given the limits in the number of stations you can run.

Arguably a coach who is better than Riley will be a net detriment to walk-ons. We've had several folks note that we have too many walk-ons on scholarship because we don't fill them all up, which is a detriment to our overall talent level. (Bad for NU, but a good overall thing for walk-ons).

It was only a year or two ago, that Nebraska and Iowa were 1-2 in the number of walk-ons in the two deep.

The fact that that we don't have 19 or whatever walk-ons in the NFL like Wisconsin probably speaks to the fact that most of our walk-ons haven't been all that good.

It would help if folks would define specifically what they want from the walk on program. Do they need more game snaps? More scholarship opportunities? Do we just need to take more of them to "lock up the state" even if we can't actually coach them?

The walk-on fable has grown exponentially since we have been way down as well. No doubt, there have been great stories of walk-ons who have kicked ass and done really well, but our championship teams were chalked full of scholarship athletes for the most part. People should take a trip down memory lane, and go look at the roster. You'll find a few, but those teams weren't 50% walk-on starters like the story has grown to.

Its not so much what he said as to what he's focusing on. We have a bus on fire, and he's talking about the Snickers back at the rest stop that got stuck in the vending machine.

Did you read the OP? This is about what DR is saying we need. He wants a stronger walk on program that will do some things to push the scholarship players and give us more depth. However, some are reverting to name calling and trolling DR for saying that.

Iverson: "But we're talking about an interim AD right now."

Hartman: "But it's an issue …"

Iverson: "We're talking about …"

Hartman: "It's an issue raised."

Iverson: "Man, look, I hear you. It's funny to me, too. It's strange to me, too. But we're talking about an interim AD, man. We're not even talking about the . The actual AD. What matters. We're talking about an interim AD." : )

Did you read the OP? This is about what DR is saying we need. He wants a stronger walk on program that will do some things to push the scholarship players and give us more depth. However, some are reverting to name calling and trolling DR for saying that.

I did.

What is DR is saying is the deficiency? What is his proposed solution?

In my post I pointed out that the collective view of Husker nation just a year or so ago was that we had too many walk-ons in the two deep.

DR saying he wants better walk-ons to push the scholarship guys is probably as much a shot at high school coaches and their development as it is the NU staff. The staff is already taking quite a few but apparently they aren't good enough to do the job.

Its not so much what he said as to what he's focusing on. We have a bus on fire, and he's talking about the Snickers back at the rest stop that got stuck in the vending machine.

I get you there. Understand though the bus on fire is driven by MR. DR's job right now is to get the snickers out of the vending machine. The next AD will put out the fire. He is NOT here to help solve the Nebraska Football Problems. He is here to keep administrative order within the Athletic Department and be a very short term figure head to the media and boosters.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
I get you there. Understand though the bus on fire is driven by MR. DR's job right now is to get the snickers out of the vending machine. The next AD will put out the fire. He is NOT here to help solve the Nebraska Football Problems. He is here to keep administrative order within the Athletic Department and be a very short term figure head to the media and boosters.

If you want to stick with my crazy analogy, DR's job is to keep the fire from consuming the bus until someone else can fix it. Not worry about something that has long since passed. Walk-ons as long term projects are not going to save MR now or in the near future.

The walk-on fable has grown exponentially since we have been way down as well. No doubt, there have been great stories of walk-ons who have kicked ass and done really well, but our championship teams were chalked full of scholarship athletes for the most part. People should take a trip down memory lane, and go look at the roster. You'll find a few, but those teams weren't 50% walk-on starters like the story has grown to.

Agree. The decision to bring in Rimington was made to attempt to continue the “back to the past” narrative initiated when they fired Eichorst. I get it, it makes people feel comfortable, like finally someone “gets us”. Having someone with ties to the past is a veiled attempt at adding some sort of credibility to the “back to the past” narrative.

But when you have this guy go on a tour of the radio shows, saying the same limited things over and over again it doesn’t show him in a particularly good light.

Agree. The decision to bring in Rimington was made to attempt to continue the “back to the past” narrative initiated when they fired Eichorst. I get it, it makes people feel comfortable, like finally someone “gets us”. Having someone with ties to the past is a veiled attempt at adding some sort of credibility to the “back to the past” narrative.

But when you have this guy go on a tour of the radio shows, saying the same limited things over and over again it doesn’t show him in a particularly good light.
Exactly. The puzzling thing isn't that he has been told to emphasize certain things. The wacky thing is how often he is saying it in so many different venues

Reactions: StrongArm517
Exactly. The puzzling thing isn't that he has been told to emphasize certain things. The wacky thing is how often he is saying it in so many different venues

Right. If you want to continue the snickers and the bus analogy. He is going on radio shows talking about the snickers and broken vending machines and people want to hear how the fixing the snickers machine is going put out the fire

Sort of a military-esque mind set. Tell them what you need to tell them, summarize what you just told them, and then tell 'em again!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Right. If you want to continue the snickers and the bus analogy. He is going on radio shows talking about the snickers and broken vending machines and people want to hear how the fixing the snickers machine is going put out the fire

I'll repeat this a hundred times. HE IS NOT going to tell you hot to put out the fire. That is not his job. He cannot publicly discuss the hiring/firing process or what is going to be done with it. That IS the fire.
As long as he hires Frost, no problem with Remington.
He is not part of a coaching search.

I'll repeat this a hundred times. HE IS NOT going to tell you hot to put out the fire. That is not his job. He cannot publicly discuss the hiring/firing process or what is going to be done with it. That IS the fire.

THEN DONT SEND HIM ON A RADIO TOUR AND PUT HIM IN A POSITION TO LOOK LESS COMPETENT THAN HE IS.

I'd like to know what specific steps can be taken to improve the walkon program? Ideas?

THEN DONT SEND HIM ON A RADIO TOUR AND PUT HIM IN A POSITION TO LOOK LESS COMPETENT THAN HE IS.

He's not less competent. You are trying to hold him accountable for things outside of his realm. You might not agree with his opinion on the walk on program but his history relative to your posting history.......well that says enough.

$50,000 per month to do absolutely nothing. Just imagine the (faux) outrage over that had he not played for Nebraska.
Hell we were paying the last guy more than that to run it in the ground. Right now $50,000 sounds like a good deal.

He's not less competent. You are trying to hold him accountable for things outside of his realm. You might not agree with his opinion on the walk on program but his history relative to your posting history.......well that says enough.

Dude read what I wrote and not what you believe me to be writing. You are attempting to spin my words in a way to prove I wrote something other than I did. That is on you. Not me.

I have not blamed Dave Rimington one time for what he is saying. I have stated that he was brought in because he has a tie to the past, a narrative that that Green and Bounds are pushing. H was then given certain talking points that he was told he could talk about, and canned answers to questions he would be asked. Then the powers that be, booked him on a statewide radio tour, hoping to drum up positive PR.

Secondly, I did not say he was incompetent. In fact it was the exact opposite. I said the way they put him out there, with limited talking points and canned answers made him LOOK less competent than he is.

Every single poster on here is subject to the entirety of their posting history. No you didn't say he was in-competent but you said it made him look more incompetent. You can spin it anyway you want but your 99% of the posters on here read it as a negative post about a husker great. And that is on you. He hasn't done anything to hurt this program and yet your pro MR/SE stance is quite remarkable in that you blame nothing on them

At this point, in just a few weeks, I can't believe anyone has criticisms......yet start threads bitching about DR while carrying the candle for MR.

Every single poster on here is subject to the entirety of their posting history. No you didn't say he was in-competent but you said it made him look more incompetent. You can spin it anyway you want but your 99% of the posters on here read it as a negative post about a husker great. And that is on you. He hasn't done anything to hurt this program and yet your pro MR/SE stance is quite remarkable in that you blame nothing on them

At this point, in just a few weeks, I can't believe anyone has criticisms......yet start threads bitching about DR while carrying the candle for MR.

I didn't start the thread. So that isn't on me.

You can read into it if you wish. But quite frankly you have no idea how 99% of the people on this board read my comments. Stating that as a fact is a weak argument and a poor attempt to add validity to your stance.

Read the words written and refrain from attempting to spin in to fit what you believe is my stance.

But I can play that game too. You are ready for Riley to be gone and and are desperate to get back to the past, so you will grab on tightly to any thread the powers that be are sending you. Good for you.

Lastly, because Rimington or Osborne, or anyone else, is a Husker legend, it does not make them immune from or above criticism.

Reactions: leodisflowers

We collectively booed Scott Frost although we see him as the savior today.

Husker Great doesn't shield one from negative comments.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
We collectively booed Scott Frost although we see him as the savior today.

Husker Great doesn't shield one from negative comments.
No but what it does is gives the rest of us is a better understanding of the hypocrisy of many posters that adamantly defend the body of works from these coaches but are critical of a guy that deserves a little bit of a free pass for helping us out an interim basis.

No but what it does is gives the rest of us is a better understanding of the hypocrisy of many posters that adamantly defend the body of works from these coaches but are critical of a guy that deserves a little bit of a free pass for helping us out an interim basis.

I've defended Riley a lot, but I'm not above talking about potential coaching changes, or stupid things the interim AD does.

I don't exactly live in Times Square and run a gajillion dollar foundation, but I'd either want Bounds to come up with a better use for me than walk-on ambassador or significantly up the amount of money he wants me to take for being a distraction.

DR's own words are that he's "here to calm everyone down". I suppose if we remember Mackovicka enough, we'll get there.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Is everyone aware that Rimington is here on loan?

Temporarily, for (likely) a month or two stop-gap until the permanent AD is hired?

Given that, and that the previous athletic director spent years not improving baseball, football, or basketball, who really gives a crap what he's doing?

So long as he's not spotted in a bulldozer going through pinnacle or Memorial, what's it matter? Really?

If he likes to fry ham on both sides prior to putting it on his breakfast sandwich, does it matter? If he really likes the walk-on program or really dislikes, it does it really matter? How about if he wears red ties instead of black? What would that signify?

Hell we were paying the last guy more than that to run it in the ground. Right now $50,000 sounds like a good deal.
50,000 to repeat a message because they don't think he can do the real job. Good work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT