ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Rimington talking about walkon program (stupidly long) from OWH

kmelia2

All-American
Sep 29, 2005
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_a535d7d2-af87-11e7-a096-4f7e30561699.html

Rimington says that we are losing players to South Dakota and Wyoming. Back in his day that didn't happen.

Cut to the end of my very long post: WE ARE NEVER GETTING THE WALK ON PROGRAM BACK THE WAY IT WAS.

He does understand that those kids are getting a free education, right? Walk on kids don't usually play a lot. Very few become major contributors. Even fewer become starters. And only the truly exceptional go on to the NFL.

If you are a kid that didn't get a major d-1 scholarship offer. Your chances of playing your way into a scholarship are not very good. If it were my kid, and I couldn't afford to pay for his school. I'm telling him to take the full ride at USD or Wyoming. Coming out of college debt free is HUGE.

You cannot just say that it used to be different and we have to go back. Because...

Cost per credit hour in 1979-1980 (Rimington's first year) was $24.00 per credit hour. Average cost with fees in 1979 - $808 per year.

Cost per credit hour today: $237.50 per credit hour. Average cost with fees $8,857.00 per year.

According to the Interwebs: $808 is equivalent to $1916.34 in today's money. So while, you would expect some increase to inflation. The cost of attendance at UNL is four times more expensive than it was when Rimington was there.

Everything is more expensive. Room and Board is currently $10,959 per year. I couldn't find a number for 1979. But based upon the same increase as in tuition: Room and Board was $703 in 1979. One year of school at unl cost $1500. A 4 year degree was $6000 or $14,000 in today's dollars.

$14,000 to get a college degree. One year at UNL today with room and board is $24,188.

That's for in state guys. Out of state walk ons will pay $38,708 per year. If you are never put on scholarship, when you get your degree, you will owe $96,752 at the University of Nebraska!! (120k if you take a redshirt).

We are not talking about Stanford or Georgetown or Harvard. I like UNL and I went to UNL. But if the option is $100k to go to UNL or ZERO to go to Laramie or Vermillion. My kid, your kid, every kid, should be going to the Wyoming or USD, or wherever.

I had some scholarships and still came out of 4 years at unl with 60k in debt. If my son has the opportunity to do it for free, you can bet your a$$ he will be.

This is probably my biggest problem with the tradition coalition. In the 70's and 80's (and even 90's to some extent) we could get the farm kids that had offers from other schools. Their parents could afford to pay for them to go to school. Kids could work and come out of school without debt. Those kids could sit in the weight room and work out for 3 years and come to play as absolute monsters in their senior year. But they cannot afford it anymore. They go to a school that they may not have loved growing up. But they get their business degree, engineering degree, liberal arts degree, etc for free. We cannot go back to the past because the times have changed.

We have to understand that we are playing the same game as every other school. And it will be harder for Nebraska because we don't produce enough talent in Nebraska to compete with only our kids.

Also FYI, Harvard's "cost of attendance" is $72,400 per year.

Although not really. If your family makes less than $65,000 a year, attendance is free. Between $65,000 and $150,000, tuition goes from zero to ten percent of the family's income.

Harvard is an interesting study. Their endowment is $37.5 Billion. The University of Nebraska's endowment is $1.475 Billion.

[1916.34/8857=.21; .21 x 10959= 2371.13 or $703 in 1979 dollars]

https://irads.unl.edu/dmdocuments/050_tuition_history.pdf
http://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg03_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=1111
http://www.in2013dollars.com/1979-dollars-in-2017?amount=6000

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News