ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW - How National Champ Clemson Recruits

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Interesting report on how National Champion Clemson spends its money on recruiting. Summary from Footballscoop and full linked report from Greenville News.

Link to Greenville News Article

Footballscoop Summary:

You’ve got to spend money to make money in business, and the same adage applies to college football recruiting.

As Clemson’s fortunes have skyrocketed under Dabo Swinney, so, too, has the program’s recruiting spending. In fact, according to a study by the Greenville News, Clemson’s recruiting spending has grown tenfold over the course of Swinney’s decade-long tenure — from $292,525 in 2009-10 to $2.9 million in 2018-19.

The ramping up of the Tigers’ recruiting arm has come in two lanes.

The first is staff, where four full-time staffers, temporary and support staff and student workers collected $684,690 in compensation. Clemson also spent $344,000 in change on recruiting operations, including nearly $17,000 in postage alone.

The other lane, obviously, is travel. Clemson is casting a wider net than ever — only 15 percent of Clemson signees hail from South Carolina since 2017, and only two of the Tigers’ 2020 class are from the state. As such, it costs money to go out and find the nation’s best, and Clemson spent $1.4 million utilizing the university’s aircraft, more than $125,000 on charter flights and more than $37,000 on commercial flights.

Clemson football spent more on recruiting than the rest of the athletics department — combined.

The numbers will almost certainly go up in 2019-20, as Clemson’s coaches are in the process of inking one of the best recruiting classes in the sport’s history. The Tigers’ 19-man class is rated No. 1 overall on the 247Sports Composite rankings and includes the commitments of:

— No. 1 overall player Bryan Breese, a DT from Damascus, Md.
— No. 4 overall player Myles Murphy, a DE from Hillgrove, Ga.
— No. 1 quarterback DJ Uiagalelei, from Bellflower, Calif.
— No. 2 running back Demarkcus Bowman, from Lakeland, Fla.
— No. 3 cornerback Fred Davis II, from Jacksonville, Fla.
— 5-star defensive tackle Demonte Capehart, one of the two native South Carolinians though he plays at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.

Additionally, Clemson is the industry favorite to land the nation’s No. 2 player, Columbia, S.C., defensive end Jordan Burch, and No. 1 linebacker Justin Flowe from Upland, Calif.

Business is up in the Clemson recruiting office and business is booming.

If you have the money to spend (as we do) this probably is the very best investment of that money (other than of course for the top notch coaches). And it's a relatively small investment compared to how much is paid to coaches and put into building new facilities these days.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Don't we lead the BIG in spending? Can't remember the numbers.
I believe we spend less than half of what Clemson spends and we are located in a much sparser geographic recruiting area.

The other B1G schools, of course, have more favorable geographic recruiting areas than us.

The only problem with such lists is that you don't know if it is really an "apples to apples" comparison between the schools. Some may count certain expenses in recruiting budgets and others may not. That's why I liked the article on Clemson, it detailed what some of the costs were. Regardless, it seems pretty clear that Nebraska spends quite a bit less than Clemson on recruiting.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Shoot, how long until HS coaches are put on the payroll of big time schools as "consultants"...

They keep coaching and teaching HS...they get a sweet little check from the U...and they help to push players to that U.

Reactions: RedArmageddon
The only problem with such lists is that you don't know if it is really an "apples to apples" comparison between the schools. Some may count certain expenses in recruiting budgets and others may not. That's why I liked the article on Clemson, it detailed what some of the costs were. Regardless, it seems pretty clear that Nebraska spends quite a bit less than Clemson on recruiting.
It's one list and it shows where we rank in the BIG, which you also mentioned.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
It's one list and it shows where we rank in the BIG, which you also mentioned.
Thanks. Yes, I know. I think we do rank first in the B1G because of our travel expense. But the comment is still valid that we don't know for sure what each school counts in the reported recruiting expenses so it might not be "apples to apples".

Reactions: SOHusker11
We don't go after the same type of recruits Clemson does, so there's no use to spend as much money as they do. Compared to the types of recruits we're targeting, we're probably spending the appropriate amount.

I believe we spend less than half of what Clemson spends and we are located in a much sparser geographic recruiting area.

The other B1G schools, of course, have more favorable geographic recruiting areas than us.

Spent 1.25M in '17-'18. I'm sure that number went up this year, but certainly not by $1.65-$1.7M.

Thanks. Yes, I know. I think we do rank first in the B1G because of our travel expense. But the comment is still valid that we don't know for sure what each school counts in the reported recruiting expenses so it might not be "apples to apples".
https://watchstadium.com/news/this-...-footballs-top-recruiting-classes-07-24-2019/

I think this is the list SOHusker11's data came from. It may still not be apples to apples, but it shows where Clemson is on the list,at #3 @ $1.79 million. That is $500,000 more than Nebraska spent.

Totally agree. When I get time I'll check those figures out a little closer, just for fun. Thanks for bringing it up.

We don't go after the same type of recruits Clemson does, so there's no use to spend as much money as they do. Compared to the types of recruits we're targeting, we're probably spending the appropriate amount.
We better start. System and heart only goes so far, the team with better dudes wins most of the time, and Clemson is getting an insane amount of those dudes. Not to mention great coaching and a great environment. You either try to recruit with them or you will never challenge them. Spend whatever it takes.

“If you win it, they will come”.

Gotta start collecting W’s and putting guys in the league. Our recent reputation of not churning out NFL talent is not gonna help.

That will open up recruiting. We may always struggle against some other top schools, but really need to solidify our recruiting consistency to get top 15 classes every year.

Shoot, how long until HS coaches are put on the payroll of big time schools as "consultants"...

They keep coaching and teaching HS...they get a sweet little check from the U...and they help to push players to that U.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not. If not sarcasm, when a college hires a high school coach to a non coaching position there is, I believe, a 2 year window where that former coaches players are not allowed to go to the school that hired the high school coach.

“If you win it, they will come”.

Gotta start collecting W’s and putting guys in the league. Our recent reputation of not churning out NFL talent is not gonna help.

Everyone can say what they want about the NFL, its not important, blah blah blah but all you have to do is talk to any coach in basketball and football at the D I or even NAIA levels and they will tell you, these kids talk about the NFL and NBA all the time and think someone is going to find them.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not. If not sarcasm, when a college hires a high school coach to a non coaching position there is, I believe, a 2 year window where that former coaches players are not allowed to go to the school that hired the high school coach.

Not sarcasm...The school would not hire the coach in a coaching role but in a consultant role (which I imagine would be a loop hole) and yes the 2 year thing is real like you said but I think that is only in basketball at the moment? I could be wrong.

Also...the NCAA, blocking a kid in todays climate with social media and pressure to make it about the kids first...I have to think that "not allowed" rule is gone soon.

Imagine the NCAA telling some kid from the wrong side of the tracks who is about to be the first in his family to attend college "Sorry, you can't go to that school because your coach sort of works for that school now" .

Good lord it would be a shit storm.

Even if the 2 year thing did stick...it is still worth it since 10th graders get scholarships all the time now.

Also, Illinois just hired a coach from Trinity HS last year I think...and got a few players from that school right after he was hired.

Not sarcasm...The school would not hire the coach in a coaching role but in a consultant role (which I imagine would be a loop hole) and yes the 2 year thing is real like you said but I think that is only in basketball at the moment? I could be wrong.

Also...the NCAA, blocking a kid in todays climate with social media and pressure to make it about the kids first...I have to think that "not allowed" rule is gone soon.

Imagine the NCAA telling some kid from the wrong side of the tracks who is about to be the first in his family to attend college "Sorry, you can't go to that school because your coach sort of works for that school now" .

Good lord it would be a shit storm.

Even if the 2 year thing did stick...it is still worth it since 10th graders get scholarships all the time now.

Also, Illinois just hired a coach from Trinity HS last year I think...and got a few players from that school right after he was hired.

He was hired as a coach at Illinois. There is no problem if you want to use one of your limited coaching positions in this situation. It is when you want to load up you consultants with top HS coaches that it becomes an issue.

Until someone sues and wins, the rule is on the books and your idea is not something that can be done right now.

He was hired as a coach at Illinois. There is no problem if you want to use one of your limited coaching positions in this situation. It is when you want to load up you consultants with top HS coaches that it becomes an issue.

Until someone sues and wins, the rule is on the books and your idea is not something that can be done right now.

Hmmmm

Last edited:
Not only this as it concerns Clemson. Clemson, or silent Clemson booster, offered Rashan Gary $300,000 at the last minute before Rashan signed with Michigan.

Read new book "Overtime" by john bacon coming out September 1.

But Dabo is a true man of God.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Not only this as it concerns Clemson. Clemson, or silent Clemson booster, offered Rashan Gary $300,000 at the last minute before Rashan signed with Michigan.

Read new book "Overtime" by john bacon coming out September 1.

But Dabo is a true man of God.

And there is solid evidence that Dabo was involved?

And there is solid evidence that Dabo was involved?

Please, no Dabo did not walk up to Rashan with a duffel bag full of 100 dollar bills.

But did Dabo KNOW that a silent big time booster had someone contact Rashan's family as the same booster or his/her colleagues had done in the past with other 5 star top 10 recruits?

Like Dabo or his top assistant lets it be known to the Clemson Booster club or Clemson good old boys club or Booster X or whatever you want to call the clandestine big money group that Rashan is still probably going to Michigan but Rashan is close to changing his mind and maybe a little help will push Clemson over the finish line.

What do you think?

Dabo learned from his days at Alabama how to protect yourself using a plausible deniability approach.

Does anyone on this board think that is was all luck that a school from South Carolina, Clemson, with no history as a blue blood football power all of a sudden got LUCKY and started to recruit #1 classes?

Don't be naïve.

Last edited:
Please, no Dabo did not walk up to Rashan with a duffel bag full of 100 dollar bills.

But did Dabo KNOW that a silent big time booster had someone contact Rashan's family as the same booster or his/her colleagues had done in the past with other 5 star top 10 recruits?

Like Dabo or his top assistant lets it be known to the Clemson Booster club or Clemson good old boys club or Booster X or whatever you want to call the clandestine big money group that Rashan is still probably going to Michigan but Rashan is close to changing his mind and maybe a little help will push Clemson over the finish line.

What do you think?

Dabo learned from his days at Alabama how to protect yourself using a plausible deniability approach.

Does anyone on this board think that is was all luck that a school from South Carolina, Clemson, with no history as a blue blood football power all of a sudden got LUCKY and started to recruit #1 classes?

Don't be naïve.

These schools cheat no more than BIG universities. The people on here with little d*ck syndrome is unreal.

So what did Michigan pay? Because I know a kid from Plainfield,New Jersey isn’t turning down $300k to play for zero at Michigan.
And you know this because ? I relayed a passage from a book where the author is a respected NY times reviewed author who asked a question and relayed the answer. Now perhaps you or I might take the $300k does not mean Rashan would.

We need to spend more money on recruiting as the rest of University and athletic department needs to view this as an investment. Having a top football team boosts enrollment and income for your athletic department by at least the amount invested in the first place. Playing in the playoff is literally the best advertising a university can have and should be a top priority for all staff that cares for the longevity and health of a state university, especially one like NU who has spent irresponsibly for years and will inevitably pop a major tuition bubble in the future. That being said we aren't going to win like the southern or western teams. Obviously top 10 classes should be a goal but we are going to also have to mix in 4 or 5 year guys that develop and are willing to sit to be apart of something special. Clemson is going to lose a ton of guys every year to NFL, and transfer as winning a National championship become less novel and be really vulnerable to injuries. They play in a pathetic conference and this will help but I can't imagine Dabo skipping on the NFL once he gets another championship...the challenge is too great for a competitor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT