ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW - And so it begins at Colorado ...

I don't care, I am glad Colorado hired this cocky idiot. I am enjoying the trainwreck. Wait til his son takes a hit from an actual college football player, not some scrub at Alabama A&M.
so, you do hate it

lol

classic

time for a diaper change

If I were the Colorado AD, I would see the open transfer call he made for his JSU players...and I would be very uncomfortable, knowing if Deion leaves, he will make the same call for his CU players. The more I think about things, the more I think this hire will be a dud.
No lose for CU. He turns it around quickly, moves on, and they can hire a higher tier coach than they could today.

Reactions: king_kong_
I don't care, I am glad Colorado hired this cocky idiot. I am enjoying the trainwreck. Wait til his son takes a hit from an actual college football player, not some scrub at Alabama A&M.
Deion will have some success, but he'll leave CU holding the bag after 2-3 years when his son's eligibility expires and there are better options out there for him. Wonder what is going to be heavier for CU fan: The hope of today, or the sting of Deion's departure.

If I were the Colorado AD, I would see the open transfer call he made for his JSU players...and I would be very uncomfortable, knowing if Deion leaves, he will make the same call for his CU players. The more I think about things, the more I think this hire will be a dud.
try as you & old admins might, the genie is not going back into the bottle

they take a short-term risk with Deion, we try to mitigate ours by shelling out 8yrs/$90M

evolve or die. which do you prefer?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Sanders will video and document as much as he can, like he is his own Hard knocks show, for his next job.

Does it mean he won’t be successful, define success and for whom is that success for?

apollo-creed.gif

What are the academic requirements to get in to CU? Secondly is it ok for him to comment on a player b4 they are signed because it's his kid?

Reactions: Hawkdiver
What are the academic requirements to get in to CU? Secondly is it ok for him to comment on a player b4 they are signed because it's his kid?
the requirements, especially for transfers, were much more stringent before the AD & president of the university changed them & named a special task force to review potential transfers & their eligibility yesterday prior to officially introducing Deion

pretty nice red carpet welcome if you ask me

• Prohibiting athletes from endorsing alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, gambling, adult entertainment, or other morally questionable activities
This is an excerpt from the NIL rules
I think OSU or one of he big schools kinda forbids or at least encourages none ot the athletes to promote any soda other than Coke which is the official soft drink the U gets a boatload of money for.

A source at Colorado tells Josh Newberg that over 200 recruits and portal transfers have already reached out in the last 12 hours. Some of them are 4 and 5-star caliber players. Deion Sanders has a chance to make some noise before Signing Day. NIL money is also rolling in, Josh is told.
Prime's a homerun hire. No lose for CU. The program will be in better shape even if he moves on quickly. Also, there is less pressure at CU in making this hire than at NU for a host of reasons.

Sanders' method is a short term method. It appears to be effective. However, college football is a short term game...even more so now with the transfer portal and the ability to poach with NIL...especially at programs with more limited history and lower brand value.

He'll make men outta boys, that's for sure. Good for CU.

Now, how are we all gonna make sure we secure tickets for the '23 game in Boulder?

His Qb room might be his son and 3 walk-ons. Are you gonna send your talented son there to play QB as a backup?
the requirements, especially for transfers, were much more stringent before the AD & president of the university changed them & named a special task force to review potential transfers & their eligibility yesterday prior to officially introducing Deion

pretty nice red carpet welcome if you ask me
If Neon is allowed to say, "here is your QB." Then other coaches should be allowed to say, "Here's your new DT."

• Prohibiting schools from withholding scholarships or eligibility to participate in athletics from athletes who exercise NIL rights
  • Prohibiting schools from providing NIL compensation to current or prospective student-athletes or using NIL agreements as recruiting inducements
  • Allowing athletes to hire agents, attorneys, or other representatives to assist them with NIL contracts, and providing requirements for these representatives
  • Requiring athletes to disclose NIL agreements to schools, and prohibiting agreements that conflict with school or team contracts
  • Prohibiting athletes from endorsing alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, gambling, adult entertainment, or other morally questionable activities
  • Protecting the intellectual property rights of schools
  • Requiring schools to provide financial literacy training for athletes
  • Allowing schools to prohibit athletes from engaging in NIL activities during official team activities

try as you & old admins might, the genie is not going back into the bottle

they take a short-term risk with Deion, we try to mitigate ours by shelling out 8yrs/$90M

evolve or die. which do you prefer?
I would prefer something that is sustainable from within, I am not convinced what Deion is doing will be - but to be fair, at the point they are at, I can see why it was done. But if it fails, CU will be in the stone age for years, program will be gutted.

I would prefer something that is sustainable from within, I am not convinced what Deion is doing will be - but to be fair, at the point they are at, I can see why it was done. But if it fails, CU will be in the stone age for years, program will be gutted.
1-11 this year

from gutted to gutted isn't much of a risk

can always hire some boring guy later

I doubt OSU could enforce that prohibition since NIL is a player's right, not the school's business.
I think, by default, we will all become more knowledgeable about what is and isn't allowed with the NIL with the hiring of Sanders. The core rules need to be the same for each and every school/ Each school will have specific rules for their University, but the framework needs to be the same for all schools.

"No earrings in uniform. No hoodies in uniform. No sagging in uniforms. No one sock up, no sock down"

Lol. Will be fascinating to see how this turns out.

CU better be ready for him to be there for a year or two before leaving for FSU.
His buyout is pretty substantial. FSU would have to pony up some pennies to do that and that program isn't rolling in the dough. An SEC program would do it, but probably not FSU. They will have to wait a few years when the price is more reasonable to poach him. By then, CU would have either extended him with a larger contract and buyout, or would be already looking for candidate NXT. Either way, he's locked in for 3 years is my guess.

I read where Sanders gets like 4.9M or 5.9M a year and has $ 5 Million for staff.

I think, by default, we will all become more knowledgeable about what is and isn't allowed with the NIL with the hiring of Sanders. The core rules need to be the same for each and every school/ Each school will have specific rules for their University, but the framework needs to be the same for all schools.
would be true if anyone in the ncaa had a backbone

but, since they don't, enterprising programs will show others the way

Reactions: baseball31ne
I don't hate it, but how is he going to have any depth at QB next year when other QB recruits know there isn't going to be a real open competition for the starting position for the next few years?
He's gone after 1 year. That's the message being sent. QBs also get hurt. They will find a transfer they like to compete with him. The freshmen know they'll redshirt. CU already has 3 QBs transferring out. The 4th guy probably stays. Depth chart will have 3 new guys including Sanders most likely.

He's gone after 1 year. That's the message being sent. QBs also get hurt. They will find a transfer they like to compete with him. The freshmen know they'll redshirt. CU already has 3 QBs transferring out. The 4th guy probably stays. Depth chart will have 3 new guys including Sanders most likely.
NU's depth suffered as a result of everyone knowing the job was AM's until he was injured.

I think Deion has the highest ceiling of any of the coaches who got new jobs this offseason. I think he's going to kick all sorts of ass at Colorado. I would've loved to have had him as head coach. I would've overdosed on hopium.

Now for a controversial hot take - it would not surprise me one bit if Colorado has a better roster next season than Nebraska does simply because he's going to get a ton of high level transfer portal guys. That plus not having a clue who will be on the Nebraska roster leads me to suspect that CU will be the favorite in that matchup.

Yeah like Frost sent the message that Adrian Martinez was the second coming of Pat Mahomes. So we missed out on Burrow and Duggan and ended up with Luke McCaffery and Heinrich Haarberg. Good luck.

Prime's a homerun hire. No lose for CU. The program will be in better shape even if he moves on quickly. Also, there is less pressure at CU in making this hire than at NU for a host of reasons.

Sanders' method is a short term method. It appears to be effective. However, college football is a short term game...even more so now with the transfer portal and the ability to poach with NIL...especially at programs with more limited history and lower brand value.

He'll make men outta boys, that's for sure. Good for CU.

Now, how are we all gonna make sure we secure tickets for the '23 game in Boulder?
Effective? How so? Because he got a handful of good recruits to play kids that couldn’t touch the 3 deep in a G6 program?

Between the Buffs already pretentious, unlikeable, woke fanbase and Deion’s constant horse shit, I have a feeling CU is going to become the most hated program in the country.

Reactions: SkerInCo
I think Deion has the highest ceiling of any of the coaches who got new jobs this offseason. I think he's going to kick all sorts of ass at Colorado. I would've loved to have had him as head coach. I would've overdosed on hopium.

Now for a controversial hot take - it would not surprise me one bit if Colorado has a better roster next season than Nebraska does simply because he's going to get a ton of high level transfer portal guys. That plus not having a clue who will be on the Nebraska roster leads me to suspect that CU will be the favorite in that matchup.
I'm more interested in NU climbing out of the BIG basement than I am with the goings on at CU. What Sanders does at CU shouldn't impact NU since it's only 1 game early in the year. USC tried to buy a team this year,had a really nice year, yet they failed to reach their objective. Talent is a good thing to have though. LOL

Aren't you the guy who wanted us to hire Mickey Joseph lol? Based on your track record, if you think Prime is a good hire at CU, he will be a train wreck there.
such a poopy pants comment by a guy with poop in his pants

Yeah like Frost sent the message that Adrian Martinez was the second coming of Pat Mahomes. So we missed out on Burrow and Duggan and ended up with Luke McCaffery and Heinrich Haarberg. Good luck.
I think Deion has his sights set on his son winning the Heisman. As a result, it's possible he will really load up on offensive talent and the defense could lag for a year or so. Of course, I could be wrong.

For Colorado to outscore USC or stand up to the physical pounding by a Utah team may be an eye-opener for the Buffs staff. Again, I could be wrong.

Deion and Rhule are both charged with winning as many games as possible next year under the current system and then the next year and year after that etc

While I do not expect 10 wins next year I do not subscribe to the notion that one has to go 3-9 in year one in order to go 9-3 in year 3

Rapid improvement is more achievable in the current system (NIL-transfers). Like high school recruiting - efficient utilization of NIL and the transfer portal is now a big part of being a successful power 5 football coach

1-11 this year

from gutted to gutted isn't much of a risk

can always hire some boring guy later
Yep. Whatever risk Deion is, he isn't much of one. Even if he completely bombs, it won't exactly be some dropoff. 1-11 last year as you point out and other than the shortened covid year they only have one winning season since 2005. They are 27-75 in the Pac 12 since joining the conference(only 19-74 if you take out 2016).

Basically they have been a dead program for almost 20 years. This is an absolute home run hire for them that creates serious buzz in the program and immediately will elevate their recruiting. Will it translate to wins on the field? We'll see, but there is no downside to this. If it doesn't work out, they move on with another boring guy later as you say.

Undefeated in the SWAC.. Remember when Frost went undefeated in the AAC?
Yes, because EVERYONE is Frost. Man do you guys live in a box. You do realize UCF has been good since Daunte Culpepper was ripping through the Husker defense. JSU? Not so much. He completely turned that program around. Even a fool could see that. What Frost did at UCF was take someone else's recruits and win with them. Deion completely turned around that roster in 3 years. 2 years before the Frost hire, UCF won 9 games. 3 years before, they won 12 games. 4 years before, they won 10. The 0-12 year was not reflective of the talent in the program, just the disaster that had become of the regime. Frost's winning was a fluke and many knew that. Sanders going 12-0 definitely wasn't a fluke. Their previous 3 coaches had .320 winning % combined. They had not won the conference in 10 years and had never gone undefeated in conference. Sanders went undefeated in the conference twice. Not at all the same. Deion will have to prove he can do this at the P5 level. No it doesn't always translate, but sometimes it does (multiple examples... too many to list).

ADVERTISEMENT