ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW - And so it begins at Colorado ...

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
A source at Colorado tells Josh Newberg that over 200 recruits and portal transfers have already reached out in the last 12 hours. Some of them are 4 and 5-star caliber players. Deion Sanders has a chance to make some noise before Signing Day. NIL money is also rolling in, Josh is told.

In other news, the sky is blue

Next year’s game will be a good measuring stick for both coaches

Deion is taking over the worst roster in the country, albeit one that’s gone 2-0 vs us and our previous coach

We cannot lose to that team if Rhule wants to have a prayer at longevity here

A source at Colorado tells Josh Newberg that over 200 recruits and portal transfers have already reached out in the last 12 hours. Some of them are 4 and 5-star caliber players. Deion Sanders has a chance to make some noise before Signing Day. NIL money is also rolling in, Josh is told.
Then no excuse for Neon to not field a top 5-10 team next year.

Deion is taking over the worst roster in the country, albeit one that’s gone 2-0 vs us and our previous coach

The guy he replaced never beat a p5 nonconference foe and got 4+ years.

Reactions: headcard

This couldn’t be any further from the truth. Both Colorado and NU will have massive roster turnover and both coaches will be coaching in their 2nd game at their universities. Outside of a win or loss, the game will be almost meaningless in the long term of both programs.

Before the portal, I would have said that it is a good hire because regardless of the on field results, the roster would be in good shape if he left or you had to fire him. However, it is pretty easy to see him starting a bit of a turnaround and then taking the entire show on the road and 40-50 players with him.

This is gonna be fun. He is asking for all the smoke with his prime time rhetoric. Sounds great from the outset. I fully expect the Buffs to lead the nation in transfers for the foreseeable future. Both in and out.

"No earrings in uniform. No hoodies in uniform. No sagging in uniforms. No one sock up, no sock down"

Lol. Will be fascinating to see how this turns out.

CU better be ready for him to be there for a year or two before leaving for FSU.

This is either a grand slam hire or a total dud. Not much in between.
8007958137_f61db37b16_o.gif

Reactions: Bremser
I'm guessing 25% or more of current roster is going to be gone. Multiple current commits will have offers pulled. He already said he is bringing in several of his current players, probably 5-6 would be my guess. I would expect him to be bringing in 15 guys from the portal.

Sanders will video and document as much as he can, like he is his own Hard knocks show, for his next job.

Does it mean he won’t be successful, define success and for whom is that success for?

Easily one of, if not the top, interesting storylines to follow in all of CFB going forward.

Does anyone know if cannibas stores can hire athletes for NIL deals? Honest question....and has it already been done?
If it's a legal business in the state then why wouldn't they be able to participate in NIL just like any other legit business?

If it's a legal business in the state then why wouldn't they be able to participate in NIL just like any other legit business?

IDK...hence the ?

I could see the school itself having an issue with it if nothing else. I could see Prime having an issue with it even if the scbool doesn't. I could see state laws having an iasue with it...maybe an age requirement?? 21 or older???

This couldn’t be any further from the truth. Both Colorado and NU will have massive roster turnover and both coaches will be coaching in their 2nd game at their universities. Outside of a win or loss, the game will be almost meaningless in the long term of both programs.
yea, okay, Nate

keep telling yourself that

If I were the Colorado AD, I would see the open transfer call he made for his JSU players...and I would be very uncomfortable, knowing if Deion leaves, he will make the same call for his CU players. The more I think about things, the more I think this hire will be a dud.

His current team playing against SWAC competition is going to be a far cry from the physical play of a Power 5 schedule, although the Pac 12 isn't exactly on the top of the list in that aspect. He opens at TCU and then plays Nebraska. I personally think he will be in for a rude awakening if he tries to put a completely new team together in one season.

Reactions: tjlSker90
IDK...hence the ?

I could see the school itself having an issue with it if nothing else. I could see Prime having an issue with it even if the scbool doesn't. I could see state laws having an iasue with it...maybe an age requirement?? 21 or older???
I think state laws always take precedence. But Colorado is a very pot friendly state.

I think Deion is going to get a shit load of players, but I'm not sure a lot of these guys are going to love his old school type coaching. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I was intrigued by Prime, but I am glad NU went the Rhule direction. We don't need the flash at this point and just need someone to build a tough ass team that beats people up similar to a Harbaugh team. I hope we are a little more creative on O, but that would be a great model.

ADs better be as concerned about raising NIL money as they are with buyouts - faculties etc

Look into getting position group sponsorship where each member gets x amount of cash

OL -DL - QB - RB/WR - LB - DBs as a group should all be sponsored

The Michigan cross country team members get a check for 6K each just for being on the team

His current team playing against SWAC competition is going to be a far cry from the physical play of a Power 5 schedule, although the Pac 12 isn't exactly on the top of the list in that aspect. He opens at TCU and then plays Nebraska. I personally think he will be in for a rude awakening if he tries to put a completely new team together in one season.

Yeah the SWAC is barely above high school level football, and his offense full of supposed studs struggled in quite a few games this year against horrible teams. TCU, Oregon, Utah, USC, and UCLA will take him to the woodshed next year. Even the guy at Oregon State is a vastly superior coach.

Remember that just over 2 years ago, Deion was a high school offensive coordinator at a small private high school. That's quite a leap to Power 5 head coach in 2 years. He isn't going to out-coach anyone on his schedule next year.

Except people don't care about college football there and I doubt even Coach Prime can change that

yea, okay, Nate

keep telling yourself that
Ok let’s say Prime Time wins. We all know Matt Rhule teams generally struggle the 1st year as he’s building his team’s culture and identity, so how does a loss to Deion hurt long term? Most reasonable people are expecting to struggle next year. Also, if we win and then struggle the rest of the season, does that win really help? Probably not. The only way that game helps us long term is if we win and then have a great season on top of it, which won’t be likely.

I don’t mind Prime Time and he will bring in some great recruits, however, in P5 football it takes depth to be competitive and a lot of those players he just told to eff off is where the depth comes from, so I’m not completely sold that he will have instant success. Here’s to Colorado crashing in spectacular fashion. Cheers.

Ok let’s say Prime Time wins. We all know Matt Rhule teams generally struggle the 1st year as he’s building his team’s culture and identity, so how does a loss to Deion hurt long term? Most reasonable people are expecting to struggle next year. Also, if we win and then struggle the rest of the season, does that win really help? Probably not. The only way that game helps us long term is if we win and then have a great season on top of it, which won’t be likely.
you're right.

it's basically a lose-lose for us

for CU, it is not. they are already sending "Sept 9th" emails to their boosters. they're already talking about it. it's circled. at least one pre-game show has already announced it will be broadcasting live from Boulder.

if they beat us, it will be a big deal for them. and Deion will make sure of that.

also - Rhule's teams may have gotten a pass for struggling at temple and baylor. that will not be the case here & it will get loud if we go to CU and lose

welcome to the fishbowl

introducing his son as the new quarterback during the presser was awesome

anyone who hates this has a big dump in their pants

how you going to name your son QB1 when you haven't even had a practice and he hasn't even entered the portal? I know it isn't the kids fault and I don't want to see him fail but man I'd love for him to suck at the p5 level

introducing his son as the new quarterback during the presser was awesome

anyone who hates this has a big dump in their pants

I don't hate it, but how is he going to have any depth at QB next year when other QB recruits know there isn't going to be a real open competition for the starting position for the next few years?

Winning now and building for the future aren’t mutually exclusive propositions.

The first 2-3 years of the Frost debacle we heard that losing was understandable because Frost “was building the program the right way”

With NIL and transfers I’m not sure the traditional build is a valid model anymore

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT