ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to the BIG

As it stands, the B1G continues to be more interested in being a snooty academic league, so.. I don't particularly think it's going to be the best for competitive athletics.. but they will continue to rake in lots of money.

As for football, the SEC and the Big 12 have been more fun to watch, for years now.

I sure wouldn't pay through the roof for the B1G's media rights deal, but then it's all driven by corporate advertising.. You can thank the likes of AllState and Dr. Pepper.. 🙄

As it stands, the B1G continues to be more interested in being a snooty academic league, so.. I don't particularly think it's going to be the best for competitive athletics.. but they will continue to rake in lots of money.

As for football, the SEC and the Big 12 have been more fun to watch, for years now.

I sure wouldn't pay through the roof for the B1G's media rights deal, but then it's all driven by corporate advertising.. You can thank the likes of AllState and Dr. Pepper.. 🙄
The BIG could be much different league offensively in a couple years. Lincoln Riley. Chip. Wisconsin is supposedly opening things up. If we land Raiola then I doubt we throw it 15 times a game.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Any additions would be Oregon and Washington making it 18 teams..

Would take 6 years to play everyone home and away..

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Posted this in another thread

The only payout escalation clause that exists in the new big ten media rights deal is for notre dame … every other school dilutes the payouts.

Nebraska and every other school in the big loses money if FSU or any other school other than ND is added

If the big ten were to add Washington - Oregon - North Carolina and FSU for instance it would mean the current media rights deal would be divided by 20 teams instead of the current 16 meaning the payouts per school would be diluted. Which means it isn’t happening. Current big ten members aren’t going to take less money in order to add teams

Adding additional schools would have to

1. Include ND or
2. Involve an additional media rights deal that would continue to make current big ten members whole - that would involve a very big additional media rights deal or a lesser deal with the new members agreeing to take lesser payouts

As above the big ten isn’t taking new schools that simply dilute the current payouts

The only payout escalation clause that exists in the new big ten media rights deal is for notre dame … every other school dilutes the payouts.

Nebraska and every other school in the big loses money if FSU or any other school other than ND is added

If the big ten were to add Washington - Oregon - North Carolina and FSU for instance it would mean the current media rights deal would be divided by 20 teams instead of the current 16 meaning the payouts per school would be diluted. Which means it isn’t happening. Current big ten members aren’t going to take less money in order to add teams

1. Include ND or
2. Involve an additional media rights deal that would continue to make current big ten members whole - that would involve a very big additional media rights deal or a lesser deal with the new members agreeing to take lesser payouts

As above the big ten isn’t taking new schools that simply dilute the current payouts
There was some vision of Warren to eventually have a West Coast tier of games for the media to have a night game package and for USC/UCLA to have some familiar games to play on their schedule. With Warren gone now, I think everything about any future B1G expansion is back to square one. BUT I think whoever is in charge, media money will drive any and all future conference expansions if there are more to come.

There was some vision of Warren to eventually have a West Coast tier of games for the media to have a night game package and for USC/UCLA to have some familiar games to play on their schedule. With Warren gone now, I think everything about any future B1G expansion is back to square one. BUT I think whoever is in charge, media money will drive any and all future conference expansions if there are more to come.
My understanding was they were going to try and have a game in Cali each week and dominate that late time slot. Basically BIG games from morning until late at night. Which I guess is what the networks wanted.

The media rights deal is already locked in. New revenue to add additional teams would have to come from a new media source other than Fox - CBS or NBC

Those three networks already own the prime time slots for big ten football

Fox - noon
CBS - 3:30
NBC - evening

So the 3 most attractive big ten matchups are already off the table . Any new media partner would be bidding on at best the 4th best game to be aired in unfavorable time slot. Given that I doubt a new media bid that increases team revenues will materialize

13592ceb8e0176c7e12082fe642fdab500fb8ef026c574e9d4924f13231ed0db_1.jpg

Any additions would be Oregon and Washington making it 18 teams..

Would take 6 years to play everyone home and away..
Oregon and Washington are not big enough brands. B1G wants ND and UF. UF probably won't happen but B1G could have an ace in the hole with Ben Sasse at the helm of UF. If FSU joins AAU (they are applying) it could happen. But B1G is ND or bust right now.

Oregon and Washington are not big enough brands. B1G wants ND and UF. UF probably won't happen but B1G could have an ace in the hole with Ben Sasse at the helm of UF. If FSU joins AAU (they are applying) it could happen. But B1G is ND or bust right now.

Florida would be incredibly stupid to leave the SEC to go play in a worse conference with mostly cold-weather locations that are all over a thousand miles away. Would make no sense.

Stanford is one of ND most solid rivalries along with USC on the west coast.

I could see the Big taking Stanford to lure ND. In that vien it might be a good move for the Big to take Miami and Stanford locking down two decent markets, 2 ND rivalries, and a foothold in Florida.

Plus the matchups between Nebraska and Miami would also be good.

Reactions: moralvictories
Oregon is a bigger brand than 75% of the BIG 10. It is easier for me to write out the schools with a bigger brand

Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Nebraska (Maybe as of pull now I'd give the edge to Oregon)

Equal to

Wisconsin
Indiana (Basketball)
Michigan State (Basketball)

BETTER THAN

Iowa
Illinois
Rutgers
Maryland
Minnesota
Purdue
Northwestern

Stanford is one of ND most solid rivalries along with USC on the west coast.

I could see the Big taking Stanford to lure ND. In that vien it might be a good move for the Big to take Miami and Stanford locking down two decent markets, 2 ND rivalries, and a foothold in Florida.

Plus the matchups between Nebraska and Miami would also be good.
Those markets add nothing to the current media rights deals. Big ten schools take a pay-cut with the addition of any school other than ND

Those markets add nothing to the current media rights deals. Big ten schools take a pay-cut with the addition of any school other than ND

Those "markets" have a better chance at luring Norte Dame than sweet talking BS and a few more dollars.

You're talking about housing almost their entire historic rivalry history in one conference. Plus getting some nice extras.

Reactions: moralvictories
Frostburg State would bridge the travel gap between Maryland and OSU, so yeah! Plus, it's easier to get to than State College, Pennsylvania.
Don't what the buyout is for the Mountain East Conference.

Those "markets" have a better chance at luring Norte Dame than sweet talking BS and a few more dollars.

You're talking about housing almost their entire historic rivalry history in one conference. Plus getting some nice extras.
They had a chance to do that (take Stanford etc) while negotiating with USC and UCLA. They are not taking schools now to “lure” ND - they would take Stanford in package deal with ND.

The Big isn’t playing hardball with ND. ND and USC will cont to play. ND isnt being froze out of playing their big ten traditional rivals.

Florida would be incredibly stupid to leave the SEC to go play in a worse conference with mostly cold-weather locations that are all over a thousand miles away. Would make no sense.
I don't think it will happen. Money talks though. USC and UCLA made no sense to the B1G either...

Reactions: BleedRed78
Oregon is a bigger brand than 75% of the BIG 10. It is easier for me to write out the schools with a bigger brand

Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Nebraska (Maybe as of pull now I'd give the edge to Oregon)

Equal to

Wisconsin
Indiana (Basketball)
Michigan State (Basketball)

BETTER THAN

Iowa
Illinois
Rutgers
Maryland
Minnesota
Purdue
Northwestern
It has to put more money in the pockets of the other 16 member schools. UW and Oregon may not do that. The B1G can get them any time they want. It's all about Notre Dame.

It has to put more money in the pockets of the other 16 member schools. UW and Oregon may not do that. The B1G can get them any time they want. It's all about Notre Dame.
With the exception of ND (because of contract language) no other schools add any revenue - the big ten media rights payout is fixed.

Adding 2 more teams that don’t include ND just divides the same pot by 18 rather than 16

With the exception of ND (because of contract language) no other schools add any revenue - the big ten media rights payout is fixed.

Adding 2 more teams that don’t include ND just divided the same pot by 18 rather than 16
Which is why nothing will happen until Notre Dame joins the B1G. Clemson and FSU are already trying to make moves to get out of the ACC.

Reactions: Redmich
They had a chance to do that (take Stanford etc) while negotiating with USC and UCLA. They are not taking schools now to “lure” ND - they would take Stanford in package deal with ND.

The Big isn’t playing hardball with ND. ND and USC will cont to play. ND isnt being froze out of playing their big ten traditional rivals.

I don't think freezing out would be a good idea, but having your main rivals whom are all over in great recruiting beds in one conference is one hell of a convenience.

I don't think it will happen. Money talks though. USC and UCLA made no sense to the B1G either...
Makes sense from a 2025 or 2030 CFB landscape. Regional conferences are gone. Only so many brands that move the needle and have a huge tv market, even if the majority of the people in the market are indifferent. UT and OU joining the SEC left no real options IMO. The fact that the BIG has a history in California is a bonus. UCLA isn't the worst sidekick in the world either.

Football pays the bills and it will hurt the 2 Cali schools more than the rest for travel.

USC and UCLA made a lot of sense, actually. The B1G can offer them way more money and national exposure. The Pac-12 is a dying conference that nobody cares about and many of the games are played after half the country has gone to bed.

Whereas leaving the SEC for the B1G makes no sense....there is nothing the B1G could offer Florida that they can't get more of in the SEC....SEC has more money, more good teams, more fans, prestige, better weather, better location.

1. Include ND or

Incorrect. The Big Ten's media contract has an escalator clause with multiple provisions that increase the payout rate depending on exactly which schools and how many are added built into it. They set it up with expansion fully on the table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT