ADVERTISEMENT

Frost and staff to coach the bowl game

There was this guy who lead his non-bcs team to a bcs bowl.....I think his name was like Urban Meyer or something....but then he took a job at a major powerhouse and still coached his lowly team in the bowl game...don't remember if it worked out well or not....
i remember one program eventually won 2 national titles and the other went back to a bcs bowl before being invited to a p5 conference :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
In two months this won’t matter - Frost will be getting NU ready for spring ball and UCF will rally around their new coach. UCF going 13-0 helps us both. Frost will raise his considerable stock up a few more levels and recruits will notice - it absolutely helps Nebraska with recruiting in Florida and Texas that such a respected coach wants your son to play for him. Helps UCF attract a quality coach and move on - it’s win/win so let’s get behind the guy and win a big time bowl.
I do agree on that. He is great free advertising at UCF bowl game

I lurk here too, I think frost is a great coach, congrats on him coming home. There have been numerous NU fans on our boards trolling us which may have brought out the worst in some of our folks.

I do think Frost cares and you can tell his emotion was authentic today. However, he did lie through media during this process. He and NU took this day away from our players. I expected him to go home but do it the next day or Monday, not exactly handled in the best way.

This may surprise some of you but I think he should be gone from UCF permanently. He should not get the opportunity to participate in the bowl process with our special team, he made his decision. Time to move on and get to work at NU and let our players finish out the season.

We will get a good coach and be in contention again next year. 5 conference championships in 10 years, 2ny6 bowls 1 victory, 1 pending, and the only undefeated team in FBS, I am very happy. Our AD is a rock star. Best of luck, you guys will need some patience for that sustained success but have the resources to keep it there.

Glad for you guys that you’re rid of a coach who, according to you, is a liar with no class. Congrats on the season.

As you seem pretty astute at detecting “untruths” you might want to tune that antenna towards your AD. He described your conference as a big 6 or power 6 conference yesterday at least once.

If he’s actually telling people that, he qualifies for the “liar liar pants on fire” award for the week in cfb.

Congrats on the season though and thanks for posting.

I live in SEC country and have been made fun of for my Nebraska fanaticism for some while. They have laughed at us nonstop. Some people think Frost is the real deal believe it or not.

Yeah it was part of the deal. Idiot. Or it wouldn’t be happening.

Fisher and Kelly were more experienced, but no one is “hotter” than Frost right now. Kelly just finished as a failure in Philly and word is FSU was growing tired of Fisher.

Remember you are the one with your panties in a wad that coach Frost is finishing his job at UCF. If you knew anything you would have expected that. I sure as hell did.

IDGAF where you live.

It's not clearly happening, yet. Idiot.

Goodness fvcking gracious, Frost is not the best hire. There's a reason Moos contacted Kelly and it wasn't to get Frost's number.

No wad here. Not all coaches do it, idiot.

WTF?

Is this real?

Sooo Frost, was successful because he built a foundation of trust first, foremost and ABOVE ALL OTHER THINGS. Even if he didn't want to (which is not the case, he really does care whole heartedly for his players) he has to coach his team through the season because that is (trust, playing for one another) the cornerstone of his program... Do you honestly believe our team would have much trust in Frost if he just ditched his team before their last and most important game of their year.

Frost will win over our team by what he does with his current team. This is not a strategy though, this is who he is.

Bad comparison.

Florida didn't have a 4-8 season, there wasn't a early signing period, Meyer kept a DC and they sure as heck had a much better roster compared to Frost at NU.

The two situations couldn't be more different.

You do realize that the new staff and Frost were already beginning to recruit last night and will continue up to dead period which coincides with the beginning of Bowl season? Not for sure why someone would be upset with any HC that would want to coach his former team for their final game when he wouldn't be able to do any recruiting for nearly 2 weeks prior to that game for his new school.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
You do realize that the new staff and Frost were already beginning to recruit last night and will continue up to dead period which coincides with the beginning of Bowl season? Not for sure why someone would be upset with any HC that would want to coach his former team for their final game

Nah, I only posted about it but wasn't aware of the offers. FTR, they were recruiting before last night, as per reports but I'll wait for you to confirm it for certain.

Who is upset he's (reportedly) coaching their bowl game? Not me. I prefer he cuts ties with UCF, that doesn't mean I'm upset over it.

when he wouldn't be able to do any recruiting for nearly 2 weeks prior to that game for his new school.

You don't understand recruiting.

Reactions: dinglefritz
You don't understand recruiting.

Like building a level of trust that said coach will do everything thing he can to not only help you become a better football player, but a better man? And that coach keeping his word to his players by keeping his promise... by living by his word... and being a model for that ethos through his actions for every recruit to see...

And yes I understand that a dead period just means a coach can't have any in person contact with recruits. What makes you think he wouldn't be taking calls/texting recruits as he prepares for his bowl game... wouldn't he be doing the same for UCF if he was still coaching? What makes you think we won't have a support staff to keep things going by that time?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Like building a level of trust that said coach will do everything thing he can to not only help you become a better football player, but a better man? And that coach keeping his word to his players by keeping his promise... by living by his word... and being a model for that ethos through his actions for every recruit to see...

And yes I understand that a dead period just means a coach can't have any in person contact with recruits. What makes you think he wouldn't be taking calls/texting recruits as he prepares for his bowl game... wouldn't he be doing the same for UCF if he was still coaching? What makes you think we won't have a support staff to keep things going by that time?

I get why he would do it, I disagree with it. Herman didn't have an issue with leaving Houston for Texas. Taggart didn't have an issue leaving USF for Oregon. Neither coach coached their previous teams bowl game. But hey, Urban Meyer did it 13 years ago so...

Support staff can only do so much, it goes beyond recruiting though. We'll see what he says today, and what actually happens. Rumors out there that Sumlin will be named their coach, so what happens may change.

We shouldn't be basing our assumptions on what will work or will not work for scott frost that are based on precedents set by coaches at a different place and at a different time. Nebraska is different. Scott Frost is different. He is not Urban Meyer or Taggert... What works for Taggert/Meyer will not necessarily work for Scott Frost.

Again because of who Scott Frost is, he needs to coach this game. Whether you agree with it or not get behind it. This is what defines who Frost is and is something I think nearly all Nebraskans can respect, identify with and stand behind.

Nebraska is only different in the mind of Husker fans. Meyer was brought up by someone else, as support of Frost coaching the bowl game. I notice you didn't comment on that post, and we both know why. It didn't last long though as recent history shows other coaches with success, without coaching their previous team. Follow the conversation to understand why other names were brought up.

Ah, the good old "Scott is the coach, shut up and get behind every decision he makes". Laughing

Nebraska is only different in the mind of Husker fans. Meyer was brought up by someone else, as support of Frost coaching the bowl game. I notice you didn't comment on that post, and we both know why. It didn't last long though as recent history shows other coaches with success, without coaching their previous team. Follow the conversation to understand why other names were brought up.

Ah, the good old "Scott is the coach, shut up and get behind every decision he makes". Cletus Husker fan is starting early.

I didn't quote that post because I wasn't going to go through several pages of bickering and misconceptions. I think you need to take a step back and really start investing some time in understanding Scott Frost. You can start by watching his press conferences as a UCF coach... and maybe to fill in the voids correlate that with "Scott's Thoughts by Scott Frost".

If you can't get behind Scott Frost now.. you certainly don't deserve to get behind him later.
If you don't think Nebraska is different... Then why are you still here?

I didn't quote that post because I wasn't going to go through several pages of bickering and misconceptions. I think you need to take a step back and really start investing some time in understanding Scott Frost. You can start by watching his press conferences as a UCF coach... and maybe to fill in the voids correlate that with "Scott's Thoughts by Scott Frost".

If you can't get behind Scott Frost now.. you certainly don't deserve to get behind him later.
If you don't think Nebraska is different... Then why are you still here?

There was no bickering or misconceptions between @jflores and I. It's a discussion, one that ended quickly till you chose to bring it up later. I don't need a video to know who Scott Frost is, and what he stands for. Since you're struggling with this, I disagree with his decision. I didn't say he was wrong or my opinion trumps his.

I'm fully behind Scott Frost. Your attempt at a straw-man is noted. I'm here because of 45 years worth of fandom, which followed a family member behind center for BD and another one for TO. Lmfao at you questioning why I'm a fan. Ho-lee-fvcking-sheet.

I lurk here too, I think frost is a great coach, congrats on him coming home. There have been numerous NU fans on our boards trolling us which may have brought out the worst in some of our folks.

I do think Frost cares and you can tell his emotion was authentic today. However, he did lie through media during this process. He and NU took this day away from our players. I expected him to go home but do it the next day or Monday, not exactly handled in the best way.

This may surprise some of you but I think he should be gone from UCF permanently. He should not get the opportunity to participate in the bowl process with our special team, he made his decision. Time to move on and get to work at NU and let our players finish out the season.

We will get a good coach and be in contention again next year. 5 conference championships in 10 years, 2ny6 bowls 1 victory, 1 pending, and the only undefeated team in FBS, I am very happy. Our AD is a rock star. Best of luck, you guys will need some patience for that sustained success but have the resources to keep it there.

I’m really trying to be sympathetic toward UCF because, yes in the midst of a perfect regular season and a conference title it sucks to lose your coach. But the lack of rational thought and objectivity makes it difficult for me to really feel bad for your fan base.

What did you all think was going to happen? Frost was going to stay there and build you into the next Florida or Florida State and by some miracle get you into a P5 conference? Your only shot is the Big 12, and no way Texas is going to let that happen.

He’s from Nebraska. He played here for 3 years, won two national titles in ‘95 and ‘97, which was part of one of the greatest runs in all of college football history. His dad played football here. His mom was the track coach at UNL for several years. His greatest coaching mentor is here. His first coaching gig as a GA was here at NU. His name has been brought up in each of the last 3 coaching searches. Any follower of NU has at least casually watched Scott’s coaching career with some interest, knowing at some point he would be a likely candidate for the head coaching job. He’s stated in blogs and publically over the years that NU would be his dream job. It comes open, he gets a huge pay day, and gets the opportunity to build upon the legacy he and his family already have here at NU. Anyone put in a similar situation and presented with a similar opportunity would make the exact same decision that Frost has. Anyone who says otherwise is either a fool or a liar, and you damn well know it.

It sucks for your program. No doubt. But it was always going to happen at some point. It just happened sooner than either program expected.

The only thing worse than internet bullies is immature internet bullies

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT