ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night Pizza

Philly cheesesteak pizza this week! Bought some shaved ribeye to make it authentic (and yummy). Went out and purchased a garlic press this morning to make a garlic white sauce for the base. Grilled the steak and sauteed the veggies last night. Toppings: garlic white sauce (base), low moisture whole milk mozzarella, shaved ribeye, yellow onions, green pepper, baby bella mushrooms, provolone.

3d0lGEJ.jpg

qxrFGox.jpg

m6Z9jpk.jpg

Philly cheesesteak pizza this week! Bought some shaved ribeye to make it authentic (and yummy). Went out and purchased a garlic press this morning to make a garlic white sauce for the base. Grilled the steak and sauteed the veggies last night. Toppings: garlic white sauce (base), low moisture whole milk mozzarella, shaved ribeye, yellow onions, green pepper, baby bella mushrooms, provolone.

3d0lGEJ.jpg

qxrFGox.jpg

m6Z9jpk.jpg
Wow looks amazing

Reactions: bigboxes
D

3d0lGEJ.jpg

qxrFGox.jpg

m6Z9jpk.jpg
damn boxes!!!!! Looks fantastic

Boxes, can you please share the info on your steel pans? Are they the ones in the earlier pictures? If not, a simple picture will do. Many thanks!

Nice work, BTW! You're killin' me!

Boxes, can you please share the info on your steel pans? Are they the ones in the earlier pictures? If not, a simple picture will do. Many thanks!

Nice work, BTW! You're killin' me!

This is the pizza steel that I purchased. I'm cooking directly on the steel. You do have to season this slab of steel though. I used grapeseed oil. Put on a light coat and did a high broil for an hour. Let it cool down. Another light coat and high broil for an hour. I did about five coats. You have to be patient. In the end, your steel will look black on the surface instead of silver.

61jwj7bfC5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
This is the pizza steel that I purchased. I'm cooking directly on the steel. You do have to season this slab of steel though. I used grapeseed oil. Put on a light coat and did a high broil for an hour. Let it cool down. Another light coat and high broil for an hour. I did about five coats. You have to be patient. In the end, your steel will look black on the surface instead of silver.

61jwj7bfC5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Thanks, Boxes!

Thanks, Boxes!
You're welcome. Now, you didn't ask, but there are different sizes and thickness. Depends on your usage and the dimensions of your oven (grill?). They make a 1/4" steel that many say works fine. I have the 3/8" steel. Thicker means that it can hold more kinetic energy. Potentially, you're able to cook more than one without have to wait for it to heat back up with a thicker steel. They also make a 1/2". You should check out the blemished ones. They'll give you a significant discount for something that doesn't matter. I did buy an unblemished one. One final thing. They are really heavy. Be careful!

Edit: I could have sworn the regular version was 1/4". Maybe for another brand. Their website now says 3/16".

Last edited:
You're welcome. Now, you didn't ask, but there are different sizes and thickness. Depends on your usage and the dimensions of your oven (grill?). They make a 1/4" steel that many say works fine. I have the 3/8" steel. Thicker means that it can hold more kinetic energy. Potentially, you're able to cook more than one without have to wait for it to heat back up with a thicker steel. They also make a 1/2". You should check out the blemished ones. They'll give you a significant discount for something that doesn't matter. I did buy an unblemished one. One final thing. They are really heavy. Be careful!

Edit: I could have sworn the regular version was 1/4". Maybe for another brand. Their website now says 3/16".
Thanks, Boxes. No worries. I can bench 675 lbs, so this featherweight steel won’t be an issue.

Steel is much better than stone. I've done both. The steel holds a lot more kinetic energy.

I think you might have cracked the code for pizza cooking in a regular oven. I'm guessing, based on your results, that regular ovens need something hotter than a stone to balance things out properly, hence the steel.

I've done an embarrassing amount of research and spent way too much time on trial and error with all of this. The best result I could ever get was doing it basically how you do it, but on a stone. But yours looks closer than mine ever got. Never occurred to me to use a steel as all the real pizza ovens are stone, so I just figured that had to be the best option.

BTW, pizza on a grill is quite possibly the worst way to go, regardless of stone, steel, or other cooking surface.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this.

Looks like about a 6/10 which is about as good as can be expected. I will give you that you’ve done about all you can do to get the best results by raising the stone as close to the lid as possible. The stone in this case probably helps diffuse heat more than anything, which helps some heat work toward the top and cuts down on the direct heat from below.. But you’ll never get enough heat on a grill with a lid as you need to get it really great. Every time you open the lid, to launch or to check it, you just lose too much heat, while the bottom continues to cook. Thats why traditional ovens work so much better. You have to get more heat from above than a grill can create. I have seen conversion kits that turn them into more of an oven and allow you to keep the lid shut. That would be ideal if you have to use a grill

Reactions: leodisflowers
This is a ceramic kamado. the lid absorbs the heat and retains it. I like to bring it up to 600 degrees for approximately 20 minutes to heat soak the dome. At that temp it takes approixmately 45 minutes to cool down to where you can touch it without burning yourself.

Think of it like a wood fired pizza oven. The opening to the oven is normaly open and yet you can get really high temps and the top cooks as fast as the bottom.

This is a ceramic kamado. the lid absorbs the heat and retains it. I like to bring it up to 600 degrees for approximately 20 minutes to heat soak the dome. At that temp it takes approixmately 45 minutes to cool down to where you can touch it without burning yourself.

Think of it like a wood fired pizza oven. The opening to the oven is normaly open and yet you can get really high temps and the top cooks as fast as the bottom.

Ceramic definitely better than a grill with a metal lid. As good as an oven? No. Although the ceramic does retain a lot of surface heat, you still lose a ton of ambient heat at the top of the dome every time you open it, while the bottom continues to cook. Good enough for most people I’m sure though

Unless you have a specially designed pizza oven you’re going to lose heat when you open the oven door. If you’re talking about a pizza specific oven you still lose heat but they have heat sinks to retain most of it.

I’ll stick with the way I do it. With my kamado I also get a wood fired style pizza that an oven can’t. (Unless it’s a wood fired oven)

Reactions: blackshirts25
Sausage and pepeprs this week! Italian sausage, green pepper, (my own) tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano, low moisture whole milk mozzarella, fresh mozzarella. Sooooo good!

GcH60Th.jpg

zXIgoWQ.jpg
Good looking Za!

I like having that routine too.

For years my Friday routine was happy hour and then grabbing some fast food.

Totally simple, not a big deal at all, but there was just something about it that was so nice and relaxing.

Good looking Za!

I like having that routine too.

For years my Friday routine was happy hour and then grabbing some fast food.

Totally simple, not a big deal at all, but there was just something about it that was so nice and relaxing.
Thanks! I've been very happy where my pizza is at lately. I ordered one pizza this last year and that was when my oven was down.

Thanks! I've been very happy where my pizza is at lately. I ordered one pizza this last year and that was when my oven was down.
I have been making my own Neapolitan dough and using my Ninja Woodfire, that gets to 700 degrees, takes less than 3 minutes and comes out pretty good. hardest part is it sticking to the pizza peel.

I have been making my own Neapolitan dough and using my Ninja Woodfire, that gets to 700 degrees, takes less than 3 minutes and comes out pretty good. hardest part is it sticking to the pizza peel.
I used my laser thermometer when I first started using my pizza steel in November. It said 614F.

Reactions: king_kong_
I used my laser thermometer when I first started using my pizza steel in November. It said 614F.
That is super high for a regular oven and it makes all the difference.

900+ is where the super magic happens I guess...those 50-60 second Neapolitan done in one of those bad ass old school pizza ovens.

That is super high for a regular oven and it makes all the difference.

900+ is where the super magic happens I guess...those 50-60 second Neapolitan done in one of those bad ass old school pizza ovens.
For sure. I've got my technique down. Compensating for not having a dedicated pizza oven.

3d0lGEJ.jpg

qxrFGox.jpg

m6Z9jpk.jpg
Boxes, what kind of pizza oven do you have? I’m about to pull the trigger on the Ooni 16 inch

Pizza steel and crank it to 550?
My oven only goes to 500F. But yes, pizza steel and max temp. My current method is preheat at 500F for 30 minutes, 15 minutes high broil and back to 500F for 15 minutes before launch. You can go back and read the comments ITT.

Last edited:
Reactions: drubendall
For sure. I've got my technique down. Compensating for not having a dedicated pizza oven.
If you are gonna get a pizza oven, get one you can heat up to 900, I think it would be well worth it. The Ninja is nice but, 700 degrees is not 900s degrees!

First one I bought only got to like 600 or so, which is just as good that you get with your oven.

Reactions: drubendall
Did the different this week. I give you... 5-cheese pizza! (My own) garlic white sauce, fresh shredded provolone, fresh shredded smoked cheddar (smoked with wood and apple), fresh goat cheese mozzarella, fresh grated parmesan and asiago, sauteed arbol peppers, olive oil, lemon zest and fresh basil. Yummy!

Garlic white sauce: In a sauce pan, whisk 1 tbs of butter and 1 tbs of flour over medium heat. Next add 1/2 cup of cold milk. When it starts to simmer, add 1-3 cloves of fresh garlic, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan, and a pinch of both pepper and nutmeg.

u1jp9fv.jpg

wgj2zup.jpg

Last edited:
Did the different this week. I give you... 5-cheese pizza! (My own) garlic white sauce, fresh shredded provolone, fresh shredded smoked cheddar (smoked with wood and apple), fresh goat cheese mozzarella, fresh grated parmesan and asiago, sauteed arbol peppers, olive oil, lemon zest and fresh basil. Yummy!

Garlic white sauce: In a sauce pan, whisk 1 tbs of butter and 1 tbs of flour over medium heat. Next add 1/2 cup of cold milk. When it starts to simmer, add 1-3 cloves of fresh garlic, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan, and a pinch of both pepper and nutmeg.

u1jp9fv.jpg

wgj2zup.jpg
NICE!

u1jp9fv.jpg

wgj2zup.jpg
You the man, man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT