ADVERTISEMENT

Frazier and Carriker agree that firing Riley not a good thing

Honestly... we are a Tippy Dye and Bob Devaney away. I may not have been around before 1961, but records show the NU Dark Ages. If we can get out of that, I have faith we'll get out of this funk too. It's all cyclical.

Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre had three straight losing seasons there before he broke through, last two have been winning seasons, so the argument for Riley staying two more after this is valid, at least in some folks view, but your argument is equally so.

If Riley does fire Cav, he better hit a home run with the new guy.

MacIntyre's first job was at San Jose State, he took over a program coming off NCAA Scholarship reductions, in fact they had 72 scholarships when he took over. He went 1-12 in year 1, then jumped to 5-7 and then 10-2 (finishing in the top 25) at a school that only had 1 winning season since 1993.

He then went to Colorado and yes, it was his 4th year when they turned the corner, but Colorado had 7 straight losing seasons when he took over.

Riley never got Oregon State back to the level that Dennis Erickson had done (in 2 years he had the Beavers in the top 5 with a Fiesta Bowl win) and Nebraska had 7 straight 9 win seasons when Riley took over.

Year 3 for coaches at Nebraska
Devaney- Big 8 title
Osborne- Tied OU for Big 8 title (lost to OU though)
Solich- Tied for division title (KSU played for B12 Title)
Callahan- Won division title
Pelini- Won division title

Riley- sitting 1-2 with a home loss to Northern Illinois

At Nebraska, year 3 you are competing for division titles at a minimum, not hoping for an upset to make a bowl game.

MacIntyre's first job was at San Jose State, he took over a program coming off NCAA Scholarship reductions, in fact they had 72 scholarships when he took over. He went 1-12 in year 1, then jumped to 5-7 and then 10-2 (finishing in the top 25) at a school that only had 1 winning season since 1993.

He then went to Colorado and yes, it was his 4th year when they turned the corner, but Colorado had 7 straight losing seasons when he took over.

Riley never got Oregon State back to the level that Dennis Erickson had done (in 2 years he had the Beavers in the top 5 with a Fiesta Bowl win) and Nebraska had 7 straight 9 win seasons when Riley took over.

Devaney- Big 8 title

At Nebraska, year 3 you are competing for division titles at a minimum, not hoping for an upset to make a bowl game.

If Riley doesn't win the division or win the conference or go to major bowl game this year he will have been the first Nebraska coach since the 1950s to have failed to achieve one of these milestones in his first 3 years.

Devaney- Big 8 title

Near perfect post. Best one I've read in awhile.

what condition did Colorado's coach come into? Both programs were pretty bleh
Let's just go back five years and see, shall we?

Five years before current Colorado coach showed up in wins each year, from five years to year before he took over: 5 3 5 3 1

Five years before Riley took over in wins each year, from five years to year before he took over: 10 9 10 9 9.

Add in facilities, tradition, fans, etc. and yeah, I'd say the two coaches walked into entirely different situations. Anyone who says otherwise is just lying

If we keep Riley 2 more years our fan base will be gone, I played in a golf tournament today and everyone says they are done with the Huskers. they will continue to watch but when we get behind they will turn the channel. Eventually people just don't care anymore and I believe we are at that point.

Fair weather fan

Applied to someone who is present only when things are going well or when they need something, but at the first sign of trouble/hardship, they disappear faster than Brittney Spears's career

In sports, the term is often confused with a bandwagoner, but unlike bandwagonfans, a fair weather fan initially has some interest in the team, but they want nothing to do with them when tough times occur. As soon as the team starts to turn things around and starts winning, they act as if they been there through thick and thin.

I'm guessing that Riley is thinking about how long he wants to stay if things don't improve. If this year is a complete bust, it is conceivable that he packs up and moves back to Oregon to be closer to his kids and grandkids. He took the NU job for one last chance at being a success on a larger stage and I doubt that he is enjoying this start - and he doesn't need the money.

Let's just go back five years and see, shall we?

Five years before current Colorado coach showed up in wins each year, from five years to year before he took over: 5 3 5 3 1

Five years before Riley took over in wins each year, from five years to year before he took over: 10 9 10 9 9.

Add in facilities, tradition, fans, etc. and yeah, I'd say the two coaches walked into entirely different situations. Anyone who says otherwise is just lying
yep colorado was 20-54 in the last 6 years before he took the job

I'm guessing that Riley is thinking about how long he wants to stay if things don't improve. If this year is a complete bust, it is conceivable that he packs up and moves back to Oregon to be closer to his kids and grandkids. He took the NU job for one last chance at being a success on a larger stage and I doubt that he is enjoying this start - and he doesn't need the money.
I think he walks away from like $12M if he retires vs getting fired.

I want to believe he retires on his own call... if he can't turn this year around.

He's done some very admirable things for this program... namely, bringing NU into the modern times for social media and recruiting.

His buyout is $170K per month. His contract runs through Feb 2021, so it would be about $6.5M if he were fired at the end of the season. He could easily negotiate some part of that for retiring early. This is a guy who rides a bike, owns a Prius and has been making very good money for many years, I don't see him sticking around just for the money.

His buyout is $170K per month. His contract runs through Feb 2021, so it would be about $6.5M if he were fired at the end of the season. He could easily negotiate some part of that for retiring early. This is a guy who rides a bike, owns a Prius and has been making very good money for many years, I don't see him sticking around just for the money.
Great info, thanks. That's a lot better than 12M, not sure where ainheard that. "Retirement" might be best for everyone.

Fair weather fan

Applied to someone who is present only when things are going well or when they need something, but at the first sign of trouble/hardship, they disappear faster than Brittney Spears's career

In sports, the term is often confused with a bandwagoner, but unlike bandwagonfans, a fair weather fan initially has some interest in the team, but they want nothing to do with them when tough times occur. As soon as the team starts to turn things around and starts winning, they act as if they been there through thick and thin.
A fair weather fan isn't still around after 20 years. I believe eventually we will find our Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer, but if a coach is taking your program backwards you have to cut him loose. 2 more years seems to be the thing right now. if Riley turns this around this year then so be it, but if he doesn't let's move on. I'm not a fair weather fan, however this same old crap is getting pretty old.

How about Les Miles? He coached OL at Colorado in the 80's and at Michigan after that. It's been reported that he wants to take some time away from coaching so he can watch his son play. What better way to watch him play than being a coach on his son's team. If things don't work out with Riley then hire Miles as coach.

Never been a coach have you? No way he can do both. If he is truly wanting to watch his son play, he won't be taking a coaching job

Devaney- Big 8 title

Dennis Erickson is a .500 coach tho. ;)
He walks into good situations, has a good year, and then brings down the house, like Bo.

Miss me yet, Husker Fan?

r960-71441ed3f9ea1acdbc9973e9adb50e38.jpg

If we keep Riley 2 more years our fan base will be gone, I played in a golf tournament today and everyone says they are done with the Huskers. they will continue to watch but when we get behind they will turn the channel. Eventually people just don't care anymore and I believe we are at that point.

jdrpbill - the bolded part is what I was referring to. Looks like it fits the definition fairly well.

Fair weather fan

Could not disagree more with this. A fairweather fan is very fickle and jumps on and off the bandwagon with regularity. That is NOT what we are seeing here. What we have now are passionate fans who have stuck by this team through thick and thin, even during the 2007 debacle. What we have are fans who have patiently waited now for 17 years or so for their beloved Huskers to return to championship form. Our fans have been VERY understanding and have accepted with grace our non appearance in a major bowl since 2001.

What we have now is just deep deep frustration. Big difference

I think he should hire Bill Callahan as offensive line coach

Agree, instant improvement in offense and recruiting.

While we are at it lets bring back Bo and Marvin Sanders on the defense. Just keep them away from the offense and recruiting and we have an instantly better defense.

We need to decide if we are playing football or building a church choir. Time to lose the nice guy image and get nasty.

Could not disagree more with this. A fairweather fan is very fickle and jumps on and off the bandwagon with regularity. That is NOT what we are seeing here. What we have now are passionate fans who have stuck by this team through thick and thin, even during the 2007 debacle. What we have are fans who have patiently waited now for 17 years or so for their beloved Huskers to return to championship form. Our fans have been VERY understanding and have accepted with grace our non appearance in a major bowl since 2001.

Agree with the definition. What we see here, and other boards, is the jumping on the pile guys. The guys that only post when things are going badly. Now I am not naive enough to believe that these guys don't have other screen names they use regularly.

I have disliked the "you're not a fan", "you're a fairweather fan" comments. If someone is on a message board, by default they won't be in those categories.

In the age of Harvey Perlman, the face of our University hasn't cared about our athletic programs. This isn't about Harvey per se, it's more about outside the athletic department. The program looks to have been turned into a cash cow. And, I'm not happy about it.

What I want doesn't appear to be what the University wants. How long can I be a rabid fan for a program that doesn't want to win? That's a rhetorical question for any of you dumb shits that feel compelled to tell me to pick a different team.

I'll continue to watch NU football as long as I'm breathing. Imo, if we win 4 or less games this year, Riley will be gone. 5 wins maybe we keep him, probably not though. 6 or more we probably keep him, contingent upon immediate improvement. Firing Riley is not a good thing, turning our program into a laughing stock is an even worse alternative.

Well, you can't blame Riley for taking what was offered. Hopefully the main joke in charge gets sent down the river soon.
I hope your right ,Eichorst is demonstrating foolishness to add to our embarrassments

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Most people who are NU fans are NU fans because of some connection to the state. The success of the football team or lack thereof doesn't change that connection. If it changes your level of support for the team shame on you. Saying you won't watch a game unless they're winning reminds me of a spoiled two year old.

I've read lots of your posts Pennsy, and agree with you more often than not. Have you seen this board after a loss? Or even a win that isn't convincing enough? Grace? Are you serious? Frankly, it gets embarrassing to be a fan of this team at times when reading all the "experts" on here after a game.

I haven't lived in Nebraska since I was 9, but I saw Johnny the Jet play live, and was hooked. I share everyone's frustration. I get a kick out of the people who flaunt being the "classiest fans" in the nation and then get on a message board and prove that they're anything but that.

Reactions: natesonnen
Simply because you have some connection to the state doesn't obligate you to devote 4 hours of a Saturday to watch or all day to attend in person to watch a crappy product. Similarly if a restaurant opens down the street and serves the equivalent of shit on a shingle I don't feel an obligation to frequent the place. The program has an advantage in that there isn't a lot of competing interests in the state on Saturdays to lure fans away. The fans have been far more devoted than most

Simply because you have some connection to the state doesn't obligate you to devote 4 hours of a Saturday to watch or all day to attend in person to watch a crappy product. Similarly if a restaurant opens down the street and serves the equivalent of shit on a shingle I don't feel an obligation to frequent the place. The program has an advantage in that there isn't a lot of competing interests in the state on Saturdays to lure fans away. The fans have been far more devoted than most

If you want to go then go. You spend quite a bit time on here for such a crappy product. no one is begging you to stick around.

If you want to go then go. You spend quite a bit time on here for such a crappy product. no one is begging you to stick around.

Why do you care how I or any other person decides to spend their Saturdays. Kudos to those that still decide to spend their Saturdays in the stadium.

I will check on the score from time to time this weekend but not going to plan my day around 1-2 Nebraksa vs Rutgers. Just like I am not planning to travel to see a couple of games that I have tickets to. Can you please send me the application where I can apply for reinstatement if and when I decide to start attending games again.

Thanks

We're getting full B1G revenue very soon. That'll give us enough cash to can Riley and throw buckets of money at a Chip Kelly, Les Miles or someone along those lines. We need a splash hire really really badly right now.

I've stated this before, it's probably my last year as a fan. I haven't bought any Husker gear in maybe 5 years and the last remaining ball cap is an embarrassment to wear.

I don't really want to start rooting for another team per se, but I think it's more about getting tired of beating one's head against the wall.

I've flirted with the idea of buying a different hat.. I tried one on, and I'll be damned if it didn't feel like I was cheating with some new girl. That Alabama hat looked sweet. I even tried (OMG) a Hurricanes hat. It really didn't feel right, but there is no lie, that I was instantly smiling for a few moments.

I don't know. I just can't cheer for losers anymore. It's actually very easy to flip to the other side and become a hater, because you see the incredible stupidity of what is going on here, and yet collectively, no one can do a damn thing about it.

I've stated this before, it's probably my last year as a fan. I haven't bought any Husker gear in maybe 5 years and the last remaining ball cap is an embarrassment to wear.

I don't really want to start rooting for another team per se, but I think it's more about getting tired of beating one's head against the wall.

I've flirted with the idea of buying a different hat.. I tried one on, and I'll be damned if it didn't feel like I was cheating with some new girl. That Alabama hat looked sweet. I even tried (OMG) a Hurricanes hat. It really didn't feel right, but there is no lie, that I was instantly smiling for a few moments.

I don't know. I just can't cheer for losers anymore. It's actually very easy to flip to the other side and become a hater, because you see the incredible stupidity of what is going on here, and yet collectively, no one can do a damn thing about it.

I appreciate your candor, but if this is really how you feel, why do you spend time here?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Because both of those guys JLB and Nikki are part of the I told you so crew. They won't go anywhere until Riley is fired. Then they can come on here and brag about being "right". Then they will change their screen names or use one of their other aliases and continue posting as a fan that never left.

Bad habits are sometimes difficult to break.
I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and treat others with respect no matter what they believe... not gonna tell you you're wrong, but if this board is your nicotine, I hope you find the help to quit before it kills you.

I think Alabama is you Nikki. They're right at the top now. But don't spend too much money on gear. Saban's getting up there, and they may not have that kind of success when he's gone. You can find a new team then.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Scenario, IMHO...

1) IF/when a losing season is assured, blow out Eichorst.
2) New AD puts lucrative package together for homerun hire (in my mind Dabo, Stoops, or Gundy) on the downlow (make them say no).
3) If coach from #2 list accepts, blow out Riley at end of season.
4) If no coach from #2 list accepts, keep Riley, demand Cav be fired and maybe Langs.
5) If trend continues in 2018, blow out Riley and add Frost, Fuente and maybe Brohm to original wish list.

If team goes at least .500 this year, go directly to step 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT