ADVERTISEMENT

Frazier and Carriker agree that firing Riley not a good thing

Bugeater

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Surprise, AZ via North Platte
Say he needs 4-5 years. He's on strike 3 if he gets rid of Cav, so the next coach gone after that would be Riley himself if things don't improve. My questions to all of you, are you good with a few more years of Riley if he gets rid of Cav, and who out there would you want to go after for the new O Line coach?

No need to snipe at each other here, we've done enough since yesterday, CEASE FIRE.;)

No one is arguing that it is a good thing ... It is terrible

But is it necessary ??

Say he needs 4-5 years. He's on strike 3 if he gets rid of Cav, so the next coach gone after that would be Riley himself if things don't improve. My questions to all of you, are you good with a few more years of Riley if he gets rid of Cav, and who out there would you want to go after for the new O Line coach?

No need to snipe at each other here, we've done enough since yesterday, CEASE FIRE.;)
It really depends on how the rest of the season goes. If they make it to a bowl game, even at 6-6, I think Riley stays for at least one more year. If they win only 1-2 more games, he's gone.

Last edited:
How about Les Miles? He coached OL at Colorado in the 80's and at Michigan after that. It's been reported that he wants to take some time away from coaching so he can watch his son play. What better way to watch him play than being a coach on his son's team. If things don't work out with Riley then hire Miles as coach.

Reactions: elvis1403
If he can hold the recruiting class together, and maybe upgrade it a tick or two this fall, and get us to a bowl, then maybe. Trouble is, you never know about recruiting classes until signing day. 4-5 years sounded reasonable when he came on, but we didn't know how shaky the staff he brought was going to be. To this point, he is still trying to get it set, and the team isn't getting better.

Moot point. Changing an OL coach will not be an immediate fix, which is what Riley needs. HCMR is running out of time. I don't think he makes it out of the entire season....basically because I am not sure this team can get to bowl eligible and there may very well be a few beatdowns left on the schedule. Hopefully I am wrong and we see a miraculous turnaround. I just don't see it at this point.

It looks like this ship is taking on water and may be heading towards a 2007 Callahan type ending, rather than a huge improvement in regards to results on the field.

Sucks....I wanted him to succeed, not just because I am a Husker fan, but also because I became a big Mike Riley fan.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again....
If a Nebraska coach needs 5 years and a bunch of 4 and 5* recruits to beat Northern Illinois at home, then I don't want that coach. I have no idea why people think that's ok.
Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre had three straight losing seasons there before he broke through, last two have been winning seasons, so the argument for Riley staying two more after this is valid, at least in some folks view, but your argument is equally so.

If Riley does fire Cav, he better hit a home run with the new guy.

I think they are right. It's too soon to pull the plug on Riley. But Cav should have been gone before the team walked off the field yesterday and Langs should be told to turn it around big time in the next 9 games or head to the unemployment line come December 1.

Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre had three straight losing seasons there before he broke through, last two have been winning seasons, so the argument for Riley staying two more after this is valid, at least in some folks view, but your argument is equally so.

If Riley does fire Cav, he better hit a home run with the new guy.
Colorado.
Macintyre didn't inherit a perennial 9 win Nebraska team with top flight facilities and fan base.
No, a coach at Nebraska should not need four years to beat northern Illinois. Period. He will underachievers with whatever he's got.

We are stuck with Riley through next year. Any new coach was going to get 4-5 years on the back of Bo's buyout. Egg officially laid. I think that is why so many people were up in arms. Now, it's how we roll and not alot can be done to change the coaching sans a few more assistant replacements.

They're probably right but anyone who thinks Riley is the answer is a fool. That's been clear since day one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....
If a Nebraska coach needs 5 years and a bunch of 4 and 5* recruits to beat Northern Illinois at home, then I don't want that coach. I have no idea why people think that's ok.

You're an idiot if you give a coach 5 years to wreck your program.

If there is no improvement by year 2. That coach doesn't have it.

Good coaches show immediate improvement. Great coaches sustain it.

If Riley were a young, inexperienced coach, I might be willing to give him a couple more years. But a coach in his mid-60s isn't suddenly going to become an elite coach after 20 years of being mediocre.

I'm hoping we can work something out where Riley "retires" in exchange for a modest buyout.

If we keep Riley 2 more years our fan base will be gone, I played in a golf tournament today and everyone says they are done with the Huskers. they will continue to watch but when we get behind they will turn the channel. Eventually people just don't care anymore and I believe we are at that point.

If Riley were a young, inexperienced coach, I might be willing to give him a couple more years. But a coach in his mid-60s isn't suddenly going to become an elite coach after 20 years of being mediocre.

I'm hoping we can work something out where Riley "retires" in exchange for a modest buyout.
Altruism in the face of guaranteed money never works out. Riley got his retirement padding. Well done. The jokes on us. When bad decision making goes on for this long, somebody ends up in bankruptcy.

Altruism in the face of guaranteed money never works out. Riley got his retirement padding. Well done. The jokes on us. When bad decision making goes on for this long, somebody ends up in bankruptcy.
Well, you can't blame Riley for taking what was offered. Hopefully the main joke in charge gets sent down the river soon.

If he can hold the recruiting class together, and maybe upgrade it a tick or two this fall, and get us to a bowl, then maybe. Trouble is, you never know about recruiting classes until signing day. 4-5 years sounded reasonable when he came on, but we didn't know how shaky the staff he brought was going to be. To this point, he is still trying to get it set, and the team isn't getting better.
That's a big if

Colorado.
Macintyre didn't inherit a perennial 9 win Nebraska team with top flight facilities and fan base.
No, a coach at Nebraska should not need four years to beat northern Illinois. Period. He will underachievers with whatever he's got.
Minnesota won 9 games last year. We have been a Minnesota 9 win team for 5 years now. Need to turn the corner.

Let's face it, no one on here knows good OL coaches for hire. But who would step into that position knowing the head coach is on the slighly hot seat. I would not but that's me.

Not sure why he needs five when the Purdue coach, as an example, can light a fire under his team immediately with much

A great coach does not need 5 years to turn a program around.

Good luck finding a "great coach". TO could have hired Chris Peterson and nobody can make me believe that IF Tom Osborne had offered him 3M a year that he would have turned him down. Now who do you think is the next "great" football coach that we could hire at NU is. I'm not giving up on a guy that I don't think is done building just to take a pot shot at some guy who hasn't proven anything.

Reactions: huck42
Minnesota won 9 games last year. We have been a Minnesota 9 win team for 5 years now. Need to turn the corner.
Yes, we do. I don't think 9 wins is good enough.
The point is colorados coach and Riley came in to two extremely different situations.

Reactions: studed
Yes, we do. I don't think 9 wins is good enough.
The point is colorados coach and Riley came in to two extremely different situations.
what condition did Colorado's coach come into? Both programs were pretty bleh

I think he should hire Bill Callahan as offensive line coach
Page_11.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT