ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Solich Honored at Spring Game

I can't envision a good offense going forward with Solich after 03. Cotton's offense was basically the same thing. There was no savior QB coming along like UT and Mizzou had. There were all of these dynamic offenses popping up the Big 12. How was Solich going to compete with that?

#1) check
Now just a couple things left to do.
#2) bring back blonde herbie husker
#3) sacrifice lil red on 50 yd line
#4) return of balloons 🎈
I believe blonde Herbie is supposed to be back this fall too.

Lil’ Red gets a lot of flack but his first season was 1994… maybe he was the original curse breaker and got Osborne over the hump. Certainly couldn’t have been just the incredible talent on the team.

Reactions: kidofSN
Trev said there is an associated surprise with his visit. I bet the surprise is they bring in Pederson and Bill Byrne and they walk arm-in-arm with Osborne, Trev and Rhule to midfield.

I mean if the plan is to mend fences, then let's mend all of them.

Yeah BUT 3 losses. I’m not a Frank hater but he was not an elite coach. Hindsight says we screwed up bigtime by firing him but there were probably going to be more 7-7 years along with some blowouts that would eventually cost him his job. His life got a lot less stressful when he moved to Ohio. I have zero doubt that he had other power 5 opportunities while at Ohio.
I think the biggest issue was the timing, and the fact that Pederson seemed happy to see Frank go as opposed to being kind to the man who gave his whole life to the program. But if they had fired Frank after the 2002 season I think people would have understood better. Or 2004 or later when Frank had another bad season. But firing a 9 win coach left a bad taste in people's mouths and hurt our chances at getting a better coach. No one , in the media, looks deeper at the reasons coaches like FS or BP are fired. They just chuckle and say those stupid Nebraska fans fired a 9 win coach they can't be happy with nice things. Urban Meyer was reported to be interested in the job but said he did not want to go to a team where 9 wins would not keep your job, as an example of better candidates for the job.

The 2001 schedule was even easier than the 2003 schedule- 8 home games and three ranked opponents if you count ND. There were only two games on the 2001 schedule that Nebraska had a chance of losing. They went 1-1 in those games.

I'm not trying to crap on the guy, just saying that the 2001 and 2003 seasons skewed his performance as head coach.

I believe blonde Herbie is supposed to be back this fall too.

Lil’ Red gets a lot of flack but his first season was 1994… maybe he was the original curse breaker and got Osborne over the hump. Certainly couldn’t have been just the incredible talent on the team.
I remember when they were trying to come up with something to compliment herbie. One of the original ideas was something that resembled a power ranger type thing

Lil red was CUTE but unfortunately has become overused and the face of NU

Time for it to go away or atleast get in his car seat where he belongs...but I prefer go away

I think your the clown.. Only 4 other Husker coaches had better winning percentage’s..
I agree he was too harsh on Frank. Barring a fumble on the goal line vs. Texass, Frank probably wins a Natty. But things were certainly heading the wrong way and we were on a downward slide recruiting-wise. I'm fine with us celebrating him as a player, assistant and even as a coach. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't have been replaced. Peterson was just the wrong guy to do it, did it poorly and hired the wrong guy (culturally) to replace Frank.

But if they had fired Frank after the 2002 season I think people would have understood better.
Right, it didn't help Byrne had one foot out the door to A&M and made the decision to let Solich revamp the staff. In hindsight, it would have been better to let Frank continue for a year or two, the offense was not going to get better as has already been pointed out.

On the other hand, if Callahan isn't hired, Nebraska very likely does not have two very important ambassadors in Zac Taylor and Ndamukong Suh, who remain very loyal Cornhuskers. So at the end of the day, whatever. I am absolutely fine with giving Frank a retirement party at the spring game, he does deserve a lot of recognition for many things.

So is the special announcement gonna be that they are naming part of the new facilty after him or what?

I am fine recognizing Solich for what he did as a player and assistant coach.

However, there is no way to whitewash his head coaching disaster at Nebraska. I can’t think of another coach who inherited that much and just pissed it all away.

Our original sin was cronyism with his hire, not firing him.
WRONG

So do you
IDPHzCu.jpg

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
So is the special announcement gonna be that they are naming part of the new facilty after him or what?
They should name a one way street after him and then have fans drive their vehicles down it the wrong way and pass out to honor him.

It could be a new tradition. Call it Solich Whitewash Lane.

Last edited:
He inherited a dynasty. Use your brain. Anyone who took over could have ridden out a few years on the fumes. Frank never refilled the tank and it showed by 2001.
Your second sentence is an impossibility in this case.

This really has the Cleti’s depends nice and moist. Any other totally meaningless crap we can try and get the crypt keepers in the fan base excited about?

I attended a banquet in early February 2004 at a ballroom in the QUEEN MARY moored in Long Beach Harbor where Pederson was the keynote speaker. I don't think Callahan had been hired yet. After his speech he was at the head of a reception line. After telling him I appreciated him letting Solich go I stood off to the side and listened to what people said as they went through the line. Everyone thanked him for firing Solich. I don't remember one person saying he shouldn't have done it. Of course, if someone was angry with him about the decision he probably didn't go to the banquet or didn't enter the receiving line. So I could have observed some "confirmation bias" or something like that. So sure, I'm real happy Trev is honoring Frank at the Spring Game, nobody will be cheering louder than I. However that doesn't change the fact that a huge segment of Husker Nation wanted him gone., despite the revisionist history some will put forth.

I wasn't real angry about his on-field results, I just felt his tenure was illegitimate due to being appointed when the AD was on vacation rather than the AD doing a national search, which was his job.

• Love
Reactions: bigboxes
I attended a banquet in early February 2004 at a ballroom in the QUEEN MARY moored in Long Beach Harbor where Pederson was the keynote speaker. I don't think Callahan had been hired yet. After his speech he was at the head of a reception line. After telling him I appreciated him letting Solich go I stood off to the side and listened to what people said as they went through the line. Everyone thanked him for firing Solich. I don't remember one person saying he shouldn't have done it. Of course, if someone was angry with him about the decision he probably didn't go to the banquet or didn't enter the receiving line. So I could have observed some "confirmation bias" or something like that. So sure, I'm real happy Trev is honoring Frank at the Spring Game, nobody will be cheering louder than I. However that doesn't change the fact that a huge segment of Husker Nation wanted him gone., despite the revisionist history some will put forth.

I wasn't real angry about his on-field results, I just felt his tenure was illegitimate due to being appointed when the AD was on vacation rather than the AD doing a national search, which was his job.
This is so spot-on. Most of the cleti were the first with torches and pitch forks. Including many former players. It may be the biggest example of cowardly hindsight in history. Including many on this board.

The next time that somebody starts a thread saying great things about Steve Pederson, then your comment will be noted.
No one would start one, maybe one or two of you clowns would though on this thread..

Yes TO clearly over stepped, the only problem I have with SP and Eichorst as AD they both fired Coaches that had a over 70% winning percentage and hired complete Shit shows , the last 25 years could have completely different if Bill Byrne was allowed to do his job , Bob Stoops likely his hire.

Reactions: bshirt73
Yes TO clearly over stepped, the only problem I have with SP and Eichorst as AD they both fired Coaches that had a over 70% winning percentage and hired complete Shit shows , the last 25 years could have completely different if Bill Byrne was allowed to do his job , Bob Stoops likely his hire.
Eichorst was the worst AD ever at Nebraska.. had no clue who to hire or go about it..Pederson and Solich hated each others guts, enough said the rest is history..

the perfect opportunity for booze to make its debut in Memorial Stadium!

There's no reason to rehash the Frank Solich drama for the ten zillionth time.

It is possible to show appreciation for a former player/assistant/coach regardless of how his affiliation with us ended.
Not possible for some. As shown by the last few responses of the most uninformed poster here

Reactions: bigboxes
Or Mack Brown.

We beat Oklahoma State in 2003. They finished 9-4. I would consider that a good win.
First game of the year, Leslie Miles played shockingly conservative not really having much film to go on. The marquee non-con opponent, Penn State, finished what, 3-9? Southern Miss was ok, and Michigan State was obviously in a bowl. It was a meh schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT