ADVERTISEMENT

FNL visit list....

And to think we could realistically walk out of this weekend with Tutt, Pledger, Culpepper, and Brown.

And if the sun is really shining...Parsons.
If we landed all 5 of them we would be full and what a way to finish out the class!!! Then if any opening come available we focus our attention to the OL

If we landed all 5 of them we would be full and what a way to finish out the class!!! Then if any opening come available we focus our attention to the OL

Nah, we'd still have at least 1 more scholarship left. We're at 10, that's 5, and Simmons leaving makes 6 available. I'd say the last guy on that insane list of talent would be Stratford, as an Offensive Tackle.

So, here's to us landing whatever the hell we can this weekend!

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
We'd probably like to get away with Stratford and another WR. That would make four

I would think it is a good sign that Duggan is coming back this week. I think he is supposed to be in Iowa the next day. I would think the WRs that will be there would be enough to show what he would have to work with compared to Iowa.

I would think it is a good sign that Duggan is coming back this week. I think he is supposed to be in Iowa the next day. I would think the WRs that will be there would be enough to show what he would have to work with compared to Iowa.

As jflores said in another thread, Iowa may not be the biggest competition if a couple specific schools come calling (offer)

As jflores said in another thread, Iowa may not be the biggest competition if a couple specific schools come calling (offer)

Yah I don't know the kid from Adam, but I don't know that Iowa is a super serious threat here. They probably have a shot, but I don't think this is a typical in-state kid type of lead here for them.

We know he likes Ferentz, but hell, Ferentz is a nice guy, everyone likes Ferentz. He's supposed to be a quasi-Hawk fan, but if he is he's not real overt about it. And he seems to be pining for other offers (also not real Hawk fan-ish). Does Ferentz have the pieces in play to compete at a position that's not on the Lines (his strength?).

I think the early money is between NU or ND (if the offer comes). LOOOOOOOONG ways to go yet.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Extremely impressive group of visitors. That said, the absence of offensive linemen (other than Stratford) is glaring.

I think the staff has been pretty confident for awhile that either Stratford or Bleich would be N. That would finish out the class.

There are only a handful of guys for next years haul.

Extremely impressive group of visitors. That said, the absence of offensive linemen (other than Stratford) is glaring.

Farniok also in attendance. If we land Stratford, he will be the only other OL taken in this class. Those two puts the number of scholarship OL at 16 for the 2018 season.

I think the staff has been pretty confident for awhile that either Stratford or Bleich would be N. That would finish out the class.

There are only a handful of guys for next years haul.
My comment was more directed toward 2019 and beyond.

That isn't a complete list of every player attending FNL.
I would think that we would be hearing about visits from highly coveted linemen. Let's hope I am wrong. Look, this is a great weekend group. So, big kudos to the coaches who are bringing them in. But one of these things is not like the others and it is the O line.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Plus there's like 6 guys total for 2019 and beyond. Lots of positions not well represented.

I would think that we would be hearing about visits from highly coveted linemen. Let's hope I am wrong. Look, this is a great weekend group. So, big kudos to the coaches who are bringing them in. But one of these things is not like the others and it is the O line.

I think Cav is a better recruiter than Davis, and I'm not generally of the opinion that Davis' one recruit for 2019 lets him off the hook there.

According to Rivals database we have only offered 7 OL for 2019. None within 500 miles.

I get that the MO on this board is always more OL but we only replacing 3 for the 2019 class (Farmer, Foster and Gates). Plenty of time to identify and get those guys into camp next summer.

I think Cav is a better recruiter than Davis, and I'm not generally of the opinion that Davis' one recruit for 2019 lets him off the hook there.
I think the standard is being set by the Williams duo, not Davis. I am not saying that every coach can recruit at that level. But all should be measured against that standard. Some coaches appear to be working hard to up their game. Others not so much. In addition to the lack of 2019 and beyond OL recruits, Cav's recruiting geography seems to be without a coherent strategy. Last year, Cav recruited California heavily. This year, it seems like he has moved away from California.

According to Rivals database we have only offered 7 OL for 2019. None within 500 miles.

I get that the MO on this board is always more OL but we only replacing 3 for the 2019 class (Farmer, Foster and Gates). Plenty of time to identify and get those guys into camp next summer.

I'm generally not worried about interior guys either. OT's are a little harder row here, usually.

"Only" replacing 3 for the 2019 class. I would expect to see quite a few targets for the OL at FNL and other events in order to be in position to land them. The lessons from the Williams duo is to get as many great recruits as possible on campus early...rinse, repeat.

I think the standard is being set by the Williams duo, not Davis. I am not saying that every coach can recruit at that level. But all should be measured against that standard. Some coaches appear to be working hard to up their game. Others not so much. In addition to the lack of 2019 and beyond OL recruits, Cav's recruiting geography seems to be without a coherent strategy. Last year, Cav recruited California heavily. This year, it seems like he has moved away from California.

Brokup - Illinois
Farniok - S Dakota
Raridon - Iowa
Wilson - Missouri
Jaimes - Texas
Walker - Nebraska
Bando - Nebraska
Sichterman - Ohio
Farniok - S Dakota

Brokup - Illinois
Farniok - S Dakota
Raridon - Iowa
Wilson - Missouri
Jaimes - Texas
Walker - Nebraska
Bando - Nebraska
Sichterman - Ohio
Farniok - S Dakota
That's history. And, if we are being honest, there are a number of those names that are far down the list on our coaches' board. Maybe it is just me, but I do not see championship level recruiting going on on the O line.

Our three best recruiters are JP and the Williams duo. I think the Williams' are in the top 10 and JP might be in the Top 100. The rest of the staff is not. I think the only recruiter that could use replacing is Davis, and Cav I'm still on the fence about.

Most of our staff will not measure up to the Williams duo. Even if we like said staff members and they are pulling in great recruits.

I think Cav is going to go where the lineman are. He recruited TX pretty heavily and did some work in Ohio and Dakota. When he got here he was announced as a SW guy, but just on the optics, I don't think he's gotten much return out of that area compared to other areas he's fished in.

That's history. And, if we are being honest, there are a number of those names that are far down the list on our coaches' board. Maybe it is just me, but I do not see championship level recruiting going on on the O line.

Iowa had the top rated line last year and I don't think they do anywhere near championship level recruiting.

OL I see as a pretty big fudge factor. Most of those guys require time to bake, so its kind of a crapshoot.

Garrison was good at bringing in a bunch of 4* guys that more or less haven't worked out for us. We've had quite a few underrated guys contribute.

If Cav is let go i won't cry, I'm not attached to him, but I think his position group will probably get more leeway than you need all your guys to be in the Top 300. I'd much rather bring in blue collar guys on the line with a few sprinkles, than do that with the skill groups.

Iowa had the top rated line last year and I don't think they do anywhere near championship level recruiting.

OL I see as a pretty big fudge factor. Most of those guys require time to bake, so its kind of a crapshoot.

Garrison was good at bringing in a bunch of 4* guys that more or less haven't worked out for us. We've had quite a few underrated guys contribute.

If Cav is let go i won't cry, I'm not attached to him, but I think his position group will probably get more leeway than you need all your guys to be in the Top 300. I'd much rather bring in blue collar guys on the line with a few sprinkles, than do that with the skill groups.
If we don't want the 4* guys, then why are we offering them? Why did Cav work so hard last year at trying to get them on campus? We want them. It was not for lack of effort that Cav did not get them. He just may not have the recruiting chops. Good on Iowa that it can develop O line talent so well. We should strive to develop our talent as much as possible. But I highly doubt Iowa would turn away top talent if it could get them.

If we don't want the 4* guys, then why are we offering them? Why did Cav work so hard last year at trying to get them on campus? We want them. It was not for lack of effort that Cav did not get them. He just may not have the recruiting chops. Good on Iowa that it can develop O line talent so well. We should strive to develop our talent as much as possible. But I highly doubt Iowa would turn away top talent if it could get them.

I'm not saying we don't want them, but we have more leeway here.

There's more distance between Lindsey and Reimers than there is Conrad and Gates.

(Or historically, most of our walk-on stars have been at fairly utilitarian positions. Not the #1 WR).

Might I add a tidbit from the RB discussion here.

We ran the ball last year just as well as the B1G champion PSU Lions, and *better* than the National Champion Clemson Tigers.

Despite shots taken on the board towards Cav/Davis development of players/recruitment of players and Riley/Langs penchant for balanced offense. (we might also consider that something of a feat considering the general health of the OL last year).

The areas we are addressing now QB/WR/DB/DL are a direct relation to our weaknesses compared to their rosters. And quite honestly, I really like Jaimes/Sichterman/Farniok as our three tackles. Walker too, if he stays on that side of the ball.

Last edited:

You said he was recruiting almost exclusively California. He wasn't. Sarell was from Washington and Cavanaugh offered only 4 players from the state of California.

Texas, Ohio, and Nebraska is where last year's players were from. All were offered early in the process except Walker.

You said he was recruiting almost exclusively California. He wasn't. Sarell was from Washington and Cavanaugh offered only 4 players from the state of California.

Texas, Ohio, and Nebraska is where last year's players were from. All were offered early in the process except Walker.
He offered 5 players from California. We have offered only 1 from Cali thus far for 2018 and 2019. Are we really going to forget about the effort that was made in the 2017 class to land the following players?

Aaron Banks
Chuck Filiaga
Alijah Vera-Tucker
Alan Ali
Wyatt Davis

Those were just the ones that Cav got into the conversation with. There were others that we wanted but could not get into a conversation with them. I left off Foster Sarell because it is just too much to expect (try, yes; but not expect) any coach to land the top players. Yes, we ultimately signed others. But only, with respect to a few of those names on the list, after trying and failing on the above. Just because a player was offered early in the process does not mean they are high on the board. But let's just agree to disagree. Time to get back to being productive.

He offered 5 players from California. We have offered only 1 from Cali thus far for 2018 and 2019. Are we really going to forget about the effort that was made in the 2017 class to land the following players?

Aaron Banks
Chuck Filiaga
Alijah Vera-Tucker
Alan Ali
Wyatt Davis

Those were just the ones that Cav got into the conversation with. There were others that we wanted but could not get into a conversation with them. I left off Foster Sarell because it is just too much to expect (try, yes; but not expect) any coach to land the top players. Yes, we ultimately signed others. But only, with respect to a few of those names on the list, after trying and failing on the above. Just because a player was offered early in the process does not mean they are high on the board. But let's just agree to disagree. Time to get back to being productive.

I think they've had to re-evaluate some of the initial thoughts. We don't appear to be pursuing Polynesian players as heavily as we initially did. Hufanga is the one that stands out this year although there were more in years past.

I said heavily, not almost exclusively.

You do understand that big man camp was last Friday, correct??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT