ADVERTISEMENT

Fitzgerald's one-score games

jozimmer

Walk On
Sep 3, 2005

With their win today, Pat Fizgerald just earned his 49th one-score win going back to 2006. NW is tied with LSU for the most one-score wins among all power conferences in that time span.

With their win today, Pat Fizgerald just earned his 49th one-score win going back to 2006. NW is tied with LSU for the most one-score wins among all power conferences in that time span.

He has embraced when Nebraska is in denial about. Development. Fundamental football. Discipline.

I'm always reluctant to throw coaches under the bus, mostly because most that do that have never really been in charge of anything. They sign the back of the paycheck, not the front.

This said, let me break it down as I see it.

There is no development, and actually given the talent recruited, there is failure. This is coachable.

There isn't discipline or fundamental football. For those that understand what they're watching, our safety was out of position and NW could have scored, but instead chose to run the ball. We over pursued. The tv shots from the endzone showed lack of gap control.

The game was a true representation of how Northwestern wins with 60 minutes of effort and how Nebraska loses games by not playing complete games.

Fitz made Ferentz look like a riverboat gambler. And still won.

First (meaningful) blitz was called due to formation. For those that understand what they are watching, that was a thing of beauty. By NW, our defense lined up out of position. This is coaching.

Nebraska had no running game, and more importantly, didn't try to establish it. They could have, and maybe should have won doing this. This is what we do though, and Fitz knew it, and played into it.

Very poor tackling, especially by Nebraska. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Nebraska gave up big plays. Wash, rinse, repeat.

For game #1, NW looked very disciplined and very well coached.

Hilinski had good coaching and awareness regarding when he took the snap when trying to eat the clock. If not for the broken tackle, we had a guy that would have got stopped throwing it underneath with time running out.

Multiple times Henrich was out of position, and he couldn't tackle.

When Fitz was outdoing Ferentz, there were multiple times Nebraska's safety was out of position. Play action over the top burns us. One would assume NW knew this and didn't think they needed this. If NW missed this, this is a concern. Given the situation at the time, I think NW missed this. And we still couldn't defend anything.

NW had more penalties than Nebraska. This is encouraging. Too little, too late.

NW TD run. Nebraska quit.

Officials seem to be letting PI go. One critical hold on Nebby's TD run. It went both ways.

Nebraska defense consistently didn't know how to defend play action roll-out drag routes.

Northwestern had issues on first play after explosive plays into redzone today. Delay and TO. And still won.

Bad false start call, I think. TE shift (allowable), DT then jumps into the neutral zone, then OL (Skoronski) moves. I need to watch the replay again before I can break it down conclusively.

Brock Huard loves him some Nebraska.

And we still have people ripping on suggestions that we transition into a developmental program. The fanbase doesn't win or lose games, but at Nebraska, the sense of entitlement doesn't help anything. Who wants to come here to coach? It's a serious question for any serious person who want things to start to trend upwards. Or not, and keep your head buried in the sand.

Reactions: preshlock
It was comical watching Fitz essentially punt on 3rd down by running right up the middle on 3rd and long all game knowing that if he just was patient Nebraska would Nebraska
+1. And if he needed to, he could have thrown over the middle as badly as our defense was out of position. Fundamental football. Lack of discipline. Developmental program -v- Entitle program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT