ADVERTISEMENT

First Year Recruiting Comparison- Frost, Riley, Bo, Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I'm telling you it would have fell apart winning 9 games. It wasn't as good as you want to believe because Bookie for sure wasn't coming.
Bookie wasn't the only really good guy committed to us at the time. Bookie looking around doesn't equate to decommitting from Nebraska.

But even if he did have top 10 classes he would have still struggled to go .500
Talk about no proof....

Bookie wasn't the only really good guy committed to us at the time. Bookie looking around doesn't equate to decommitting from Nebraska.

Talk about no proof....
Seriously? Ok no proof. Just 20 years worth of MR experience. What proof do you have that Bookie was going to stay committed? The bottom line is Riley was a chitty coach and that was always preventing him from signing great classes. And if he did......well he would still have chitty results. Nobody with much sense can argue that however there are some people that will probably take on the challenge,

There is just a bit of comedy in the fact that 99% of posters claim not to read ANYTHING any of the "hacks" write...yet clearly that is not the case.

Reactions: Huskercigar

reality suggested Saban should have continued to suck, but a change of scenery made a big difference didn’t it?
Reality suggested Hawkins should have torn it up at Colorado but he sucked. What gives? I bet you would have been screamingly rage had Saban been hired here. His previous stops had been less than impressive. Conversely, had Hawkins been hired here, you probably would have lauded the hire.

Not sure where you get the idea that Saban sucked before being hired by Alabama. In college coaching, he has had one losing season which was in his 1st year at Alabama. Saban's combined record at MSU was 34-24 with his last year of 9-2 before going to LSU. At LSU his combined record was 48-16 with his worst record being 8-5 and his best at 13-1.

If that sucks then what does that say about Riley's record before he had been hired at NU?

That tired old argument- that compares Saban to Riley:rolleyes:
it should be a crime to mention them in the same sentence

The year before MSU- in Sabans only season at Toledo- they went 9-2 only 5 points away from an undefeated season. The year before they were 6-5.

At MSU- Saban came into a shitstorm- MSU forfeited all of its 5 win season
COUNTING those as wins, the previous guy was 21-26 in the 4 years prior to Saban arriving. Saban went 33-23 and took them to bowls in all but 1 season

The guys that followed Saban- 16-19 and 22-26
Sabans next stop at LSU- won a National Championship
2 previous seasons before he arrived- 4-7 and 3-8 in the previous 11 seasons- just 3 winning seasons- ok they sucked- After Saban- they are great
He goes 8-4 in year 1 and year 3 wins a National Title.

Then he completely turns around a bumbling Bama program in the SEC to the most dominant program in college football today. They had NCAA issues, up and down- 3 losing seasons and a .500 season in the 9 years prior to Saban. Year 3 Saban wins a National Championship.

Saban has won at every college stop hes ever made. A far cry from MR, they arent in the same galaxy. >

reality suggested Saban should have continued to suck, but a change of scenery made a big difference didn’t it? Reality suggested Hawkins should have torn it up at Colorado but he sucked. What gives? I bet you would have been screamingly rage had Saban been hired here. His previous stops had been less than impressive. Conversely, had Hawkins been hired here, you probably would have lauded the hire.

Not sure where you get the idea that Saban sucked before being hired by Alabama. In college coaching, he has had one losing season which was in his 1st year at Alabama. Saban's combined record at MSU was 34-24 with his last year of 9-2 before going to LSU. At LSU his combined record was 48-16 with his worst record being 8-5 and his best at 13-1.

If that sucks then what does that say about Riley's record before he had been hired at NU?
My point was simply this. Before the final MSU season, they were 25-22 under Saban. That’s hardly an impressive record, with a lot of .500 ball until his final season. He was 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, and 6-6 his first four years before 9-2. That’s not exactly lighting it up. Who knew 9-2 was more reflective of the coach he was? But LSU took a chance. I wasn’t clear in my post... I wasn’t suggesting Alabama took a chance on Saban. LSU did. My bad for not being clear.

My point was simply this. Before the final MSU season, they were 25-22 under Saban. That’s hardly an impressive record, with a lot of .500 ball until his final season. He was 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, and 6-6 his first four years before 9-2. That’s not exactly lighting it up. Who knew 9-2 was more reflective of the coach he was? But LSU took a chance. I wasn’t clear in my post... I wasn’t suggesting Alabama took a chance on Saban. LSU did. My bad for not being clear.

People disagree with the assessment that LSU was taking a chance with the hiring of Saban.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...ans-impact-still-being-felt-at-michigan-state

People disagree with the assessment that LSU was taking a chance with the hiring of Saban.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...ans-impact-still-being-felt-at-michigan-state
And I would say hindsight is 20/20.

Quote me an article from 20 years ago That says this stuff. The reality is, you can’t. He was a .500 coach for 4 years before 9-2. LSU wasn’t gonna hire a Bobby Bowden or Mack Brown because they wouldn’t have gone there. LSU needed to roll the dice on someone and they chose Saban. It paid off handsomely for them, no doubt, but please don’t use an article written today to prove that taking Saban 20 years ago was a sure thing.

Quote me an article from 20 years ago That says this stuff. The reality is, you can’t. He was a .500 coach for 4 years before 9-2. LSU wasn’t gonna hire a Bobby Bowden or Mack Brown because they wouldn’t have gone there. LSU needed to roll the dice on someone and they chose Saban. It paid off handsomely for them, no doubt, but please don’t use an article written today to prove that taking Saban 20 years ago was a sure thing.

Not a guarantee- but a solid good bet for a program in a very tough spot
9-2 at Toledo- only 5 points away from undefeated
Down- what 7 scholarships and goes 34-24 after the guy in front of him bellyflopped badly.

Great article- had no idea not a single assistant coach followed Saban to LSU- that's wild. The stories of him being a slave driver to his coaches must be legit

Not a guarantee- but a solid good bet for a program in a very tough spot
9-2 at Toledo- only 5 points away from undefeated
Down- what 7 scholarships and goes 34-24 after the guy in front of him bellyflopped badly.

Great article- had no idea not a single assistant coach followed Saban to LSU- that's wild
Yep, not a guarantee... but it turned out to be a great hire for them and put them on the map. One could make the argument it wasn’t a reach, and I wouldn’t complain... Mich St may have been down scholarships at the time, but Riley was in what was thought o
To be an unwinnable place. Won 28% of their games for 30 years before Riley, who bumped it by almost 30%... I thought that showed he could coach.

That’s what I was hanging on to. I was wrong.

Reactions: davecisar
To be an unwinnable place. Won 28% of their games for 30 years before Riley, who bumped it by almost 30%... I thought that showed he could coach.

yep, all of us were trying to talk ourselves into believing somehow, someway this would work. In spite of what our eyes and the facts told us. We all wanted Smilin Mike to win. I didnt believe it, but I really wanted to :D Went to the games, supported the team and Coach, but never believed he would win.

As you know Dennis Erickson did much better at OSU than MR did. Erickson had them one play away from playing for a National Championship. Not impossible to win there and Im going to say going from worst to mediocre in what is a pretty weak conference isnt a Titanic feat, it's worth something, but not a job at a Blue Blood with the resources and commitment to football NU has.

Im digging what Bill Snyder has done at KState over the long haul or Gary Patterson at TCU

Last edited:

I agree with you that hindsight is 20/20. Coming off a 9-2 season where MSU knocks off Ohio State after being penalized for the first 2 years with 9 less scholarships gives Saban some coaching credibility. LSU paid him handsomely as well making him the third highest paid coach at the time behind Bobby Bowden and Steve Spurrier.

No coach is ever a sure thing but at the time LSU was also considering several other coaches which included Phil Bennett, Dennis Erickson, Glen Mason, and Mark Richt. I think that choosing Saban was anything but rolling the dice but hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: davecisar
Were there 3-5 posters that were much more interested in being proven right that Pelini sucked than the success of the program? Yes, without a doubt. Did they love the team losing when Bo was the coach so they could beat their chests, yet would call out every poster who had real expectations of Mike Riley? Yes, without a doubt. Put them on ignore and things are good fellas.
No reason to ignore people if you can't handle some back and forth. Face it, don't run away. Seems some can't seem to take what they have dished out previously I guess

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
Yep, not a guarantee... but it turned out to be a great hire for them and put them on the map. One could make the argument it wasn’t a reach, and I wouldn’t complain... Mich St may have been down scholarships at the time, but Riley was in what was thought o

One main difference is Nick Sabin was up and coming. Mike Riley was is/was on the backside of his career.

Brother, we’re comparing apples and oranges here. We “haters” didn’t need hindsight to support our argument when Nebraska hired Riley. We had 2+ decades of data to cite. After typing the previous sentence, I’m honestly stunned that he held a HC position for that long. And I’m certainly glad I’m not a fan of any of those teams. Sheesh.

And I do find it odd you’re using the “hindsight is 20/20” thing, considering you keep referencing Saban’s historical performance.

Brother, we’re comparing apples and oranges here. We “haters” didn’t need hindsight to support our argument when Nebraska hired Riley. We had 2+ decades of data to cite. After typing the previous sentence, I’m honestly stunned that he held a HC position for that long. And I’m certainly glad I’m not a fan of any of those teams. Sheesh.

And I do find it odd you’re using the “hindsight is 20/20” thing, considering you keep referencing Saban’s historical performance.
I chose to conveniently ignore his years st OSU, obviously. I felt he improved them to a certain level, he can improve us to a certain level as well. Again, I was wrong.

The hindsight comment is in regards to his time at Michigan State. He wasn’t a sure fire hire coming from Michigan State no matter what you choose to believe. And posting an article as proof that he was as close as it got to sure fire hire, after he has won 6 NCs, is most definitely using hindsight to support how great of a hire he was for LSU when He really hadn’t won anything yet.

Nope. Just delusional.

Humorous you say “sorry for being positive for hopin a leopard change change its spots,” or something of that effect.

You can call me cynical for not believing a leopard can change its spots, but I hardly call it cynical. I call it living in reality. I assure you all of us wanted Riley to succeed, and didn’t have a vendetta for him. To claim otherwise is ridiculous.

I’m not here to gloat, and all the bs I read here about how Riley’s performance at OSU was irrelevant to what he would bring to Nebraska was, well, insane.

Don’t be ridiculous... reality suggested Saban should have continued to suck, but a change of scenery made a big difference didn’t it? Reality suggested Hawkins should have torn it up at Colorado but he sucked. What gives? I bet you would have been screamingly rage had Saban been hired here. His previous stops had been less than impressive. Conversely, had Hawkins been hired here, you probably would have lauded the hire. But since it doesn’t fit your narrative, keep calling those who gave Riley a chance crazy.

You can claim now that you knew all along, but there are too many examples that show you could have been wrong. I chose to believe he could improve. And it seemed like he turned a corner last year, until this year happened.

You act as though you are so smart and knew it all along, and when someone like me says they gave Riley the benefit of the doubt you can’t wait to tell me how stupid or insane I am. Keep in mind, I’m not saying you or anyone else had a vendetta against Riley. Show me where I said that.

But if you think everyone was cheering the hire and getting behind a pro style offense and coaching staff from Oregon State, where were you three years ago? I can assure you, it was on this board, and I’m not being ridiculous with this statement.[/QUOTE]
You're throwing a lot of shit at the fan and hoping it sticks. Saban never sucked. I always thought he was a good coach seeing the improvement he made at Michigan State. I never followed Hawkins that closely so had no idea how he was going to do at Colorado. There's more to it than a coach just having a good year. Sometimes it's the way a coach carries himself and how he interacts with people and his players. For me, that's the biggest indicator of future success than just a win-loss record. You can see guys like Saban, Meyer, and Frost and even early in their careers you know they are going to be successful because of the intangibles they possess.

I chose to conveniently ignore his years st OSU, obviously. I felt he improved them to a certain level, he can improve us to a certain level as well. Again, I was wrong.

The hindsight comment is in regards to his time at Michigan State. He wasn’t a sure fire hire coming from Michigan State no matter what you choose to believe. And posting an article as proof that he was as close as it got to sure fire hire, after he has won 6 NCs, is most definitely using hindsight to support how great of a hire he was for LSU when He really hadn’t won anything yet.

I posted the article to indicate that not everyone thought he sucked as you indicated. I didn't post it to indicate that he was a sure fire hire.

The fact that LSU was willing to hire and make Saban the 3rd highest paid coach behind Bowden and Spurrier indicated that they didn't consider him a mediocre coach either.

Michigan State was a program that never did anything before Saban got there. Michigan State was always a well coached team while he was there. Hovering around .500 your first few years is different than doing it 10+ years in.

Michigan State was a program that never did anything before Saban got there. Michigan State was always a well coached team while he was there. Hovering around .500 your first few years is different than doing it 10+ years in.
And as I’ve already stated, that is a very strong argument that can be made against Riley and for Saban.

Last edited:
I think you could also make the case that Frost‘s job was actually the easiest when you consider he was coming in with an undefeated season under his belt and a lot of excitement. Nobody asked the question, “who’s Scott Frost?” Everybody already knew. And so if Scott Frost is calling, you listen.
Very true. Mike Riley= 60+, below .500, coach of Oregon St, 90% of the people in the country had to google him.
Scott Frost= Young, energetic, undefeated, highest scoring offense in the country, multiple coach of the year awards.
Not sure about you all but if I were a recruit, I sure know who I am going to at the very least, take a phone call from.

So you’ve now created a strawman. And you also want someone to post an article, that likely does not exist, to support whatever your point is now. I can honestly say you’re all over the map, sir. :(

Chill out. And just enjoy what Nebraska now has.

*My obligatory edit: I don’t give a f*** about Saban. He’s anecdotal in the grand scheme of college football coaches. Why the comparisons between Frost and Saban continue is ridiculous.

So you’ve now created a strawman. And you also want someone to post an article, that likely does not exist, to support whatever your point is now. I can honestly say you’re all over the map, sir. :(

Chill out. And just enjoy what Nebraska now has.

*My obligatory edit: I don’t give a f*** about Saban. He’s anecdotal in the grand scheme of college football coaches. Why the comparisons between Frost and Saban continue is ridiculous.
Call it what you want. We hired Riley. I had to google him like so many others. I read the quotes from plenty of experts who said he could do well here. I saw that he took a terrible team over a prolonged period of time to a middling team over a long period of time. I wanted to believe that meant he could take a decent team to higher heights. I drank the kool-aid big time.

My biggest crime, I guess, is that I defended him, even when it’s not kosher to defend him anymore. He represented the university professionally and didn’t embarrass us off the field (on the field is obviously a different story). I don’t see the need now to continue to bury the guy like some on here do.

I am ecstatic we have Frost. We are in a great spot to return to levels we haven’t seen in years.

And for the record, I don’t believe I was comparing frost to Saban. My comparison was looking at Saban and Riley, as ridiculous as that sounds, but only Saban at MSU his first 4 years where his win percentage was the same as Riley. When he changed scenery he took off. I was hoping for the same for Riley.

I will say it again. I was wrong. If you need me to say it more, let me know. I can do that.

Call it what you want. We hired Riley. I had to google him like so many others. I read the quotes from plenty of experts who said he could do well here. I saw that he took a terrible team over a prolonged period of time to a middling team over a long period of time. I wanted to believe that meant he could take a decent team to higher heights. I drank the kool-aid big time.

My biggest crime, I guess, is that I defended him, even when it’s not kosher to defend him anymore. He represented the university professionally and didn’t embarrass us off the field (on the field is obviously a different story). I don’t see the need now to continue to bury the guy like some on here do.

I am ecstatic we have Frost. We are in a great spot to return to levels we haven’t seen in years.

And for the record, I don’t believe I was comparing frost to Saban. My comparison was looking at Saban and Riley, as ridiculous as that sounds, but only Saban at MSU his first 4 years where his win percentage was the same as Riley. When he changed scenery he took off. I was hoping for the same for Riley.

I will say it again. I was wrong. If you need me to say it more, let me know. I can do that.
We didn’t hire anyone. The man responsible was also canned - likely for him hiring and extending that nice dude, but waste-of-space coach. He’s now bilking Nebraska for millions, while he poops all over the futures of the players he’s coaching.

Perhaps he’s a decent position coach. I don’t know. His record certainly doesn’t support that.

Also, comparing Riley and Saban is an even worse argument. They’re both similar in age - perhaps we should compare the two?

I thought MR was going to do great things here...I made fun of idiot posters would couldn't or didn't want to believe it...yikes. My bad!!!

We didn’t hire anyone. The man responsible was also canned - likely for him hiring and extending that nice dude, but waste-of-space coach. He’s now bilking Nebraska for millions, while he poops all over the futures of the players he’s coaching.

Perhaps he’s a decent position coach. I don’t know. His record certainly doesn’t support that.

Also, comparing Riley and Saban is an even worse argument. They’re both similar in age - perhaps we should compare the two?
Oh, we didn’t hire Riley? Wasn’t it put to a fan vote? My bad, I though it was all of us. :confused:

Just forget it. You obviously have no desire to try to see other viewpoints. I tired to explain my position, but you don’t care because it’s not yours.

I wish I was as smart as you.

So RiLLLLLLLLey, you are so smart, why didnt you grace us with your knowledge before October 2017? You knew Riley would fail but waited until he was beyond the point of no return...

Why wait until October 2017? Why not post in 2015 and spare people like me who aren’t smart enough to know Riley would fail?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Oh, we didn’t hire Riley? Wasn’t it put to a fan vote? My bad, I though it was all of us. :confused:

Just forget it. You obviously have no desire to try to see other viewpoints. I tired to explain my position, but you don’t care because it’s not yours.

I wish I was as smart as you.
I don’t even think I’m “smart,” I honestly now believe many of you are hired trolls. That theory is about the only way to explain a person defending Riley. Before his hire, and especially now.

By the way, you’d be better served in the future by saying, “I wish I done been as schoolined as you.”

I don’t even think I’m “smart,” I honestly now believe many of you are hired trolls. That theory is about the only way to explain a person defending Riley. Before his hire, and especially now.

By the way, you’d be better served in the future by saying, “I wish I done been as schoolined as you.”
In all seriousness, if anyone is a troll it’s you. October 2017 start date? Really? Convenient...

I am not the only one on this board that wanted to give Riley the benefit of the doubt. When you want to give someone the benefit of the doubt, you try to explain away troubling statistics like his record. You say he was in a crappy place and he will do better with Nebraska tradition and resources. You say things like Saban had a similar record at Michigan State but was successful elsewhere. You say things like USC and Alabama were wanting to hire him as their coach (doesn’t matter that it was 15 years ago).

It’s Putting lipstick on a pig, but the alternative is to feel despair as long as he is coach. Guess what? I had hopes he would turn it around, but they evaporated after NIU this last season.

What I described above is not trolling... wishful thinking? Sure. Putting the best construction on things? You bet. But the last thing it is is trolling. You don’t have a membership for 10 years and then troll just to piss off people named RiLLLLLLLLey.

But starting in October 2017, after the shitstorm is in full blown effect? Yeah, that seems to qualify as a troll much more than January 2008...

I guess you aren’t as smart as I gave you credit for. My bad.

Seriously? Ok no proof. Just 20 years worth of MR experience. What proof do you have that Bookie was going to stay committed? The bottom line is Riley was a chitty coach and that was always preventing him from signing great classes. And if he did......well he would still have chitty results. Nobody with much sense can argue that however there are some people that will probably take on the challenge,
Riley's previous years at Oregon State in terms of recruiting mean very little. He was able to improve as a recruiter because of Nebraska. Just like Frost will improve as a recruiter because Nebraska >>>> UCF.

Common sense says that if Riley had a solid record then he keeps the guys that were already committed to him prior to the season started. Maybe not all of them, but common sense would say majority and that includes Bookie.

Here is a comparison of how these coaches did in the Rivals Rankings in Year 1

Coach------- Ranking----Number of Players--5 star-----4 star---- 3 star
Riley________31___________21___________ 0______6_________12
Bo _________30___________ 28 __________ 1_______2 _________20
Callahan_____27___________20___________0 ______2 _________11

Frost________21___________ 23__________ 0______9__________13
(projected)

This would be by far the best first year out of the gate recruiting job since TO. And after just a 4 win season. Lots to get excited about here. This assumes NU gets just 2 of the 5 four star kids we are in on now and have an extremely good chance of getting commitments from. (cameron Jones, Bell, Sampson, Tannor, Corbin)

Great Job on the stars data, was that a custom spreadsheet you built!? The talent on RSS is second to none.

In all seriousness, if anyone is a troll it’s you. October 2017 start date? Really? Convenient...

I am not the only one on this board that wanted to give Riley the benefit of the doubt. When you want to give someone the benefit of the doubt, you try to explain away troubling statistics like his record. You say he was in a crappy place and he will do better with Nebraska tradition and resources. You say things like Saban had a similar record at Michigan State but was successful elsewhere. You say things like USC and Alabama were wanting to hire him as their coach (doesn’t matter that it was 15 years ago).

It’s Putting lipstick on a pig, but the alternative is to feel despair as long as he is coach. Guess what? I had hopes he would turn it around, but they evaporated after NIU this last season.

What I described above is not trolling... wishful thinking? Sure. Putting the best construction on things? You bet. But the last thing it is is trolling. You don’t have a membership for 10 years and then troll just to piss off people named RiLLLLLLLLey.

But starting in October 2017, after the shitstorm is in full blown effect? Yeah, that seems to qualify as a troll much more than January 2008...

Ive had a membership 13 years, and still enjoy trolling. Trolling is like playing Marco polo with idiots. Get a good gauge of who is on RSS at any given moment.

Reactions: timnsun

Yeah, I think I’m out. You win.

Reactions: FeelingFrosty
Riley's previous years at Oregon State in terms of recruiting mean very little. He was able to improve as a recruiter because of Nebraska. Just like Frost will improve as a recruiter because Nebraska >>>> UCF.

Common sense says that if Riley had a solid record then he keeps the guys that were already committed to him prior to the season started. Maybe not all of them, but common sense would say majority and that includes Bookie.
Bookie was gone.. The class was gone. Sinking ship.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT