ADVERTISEMENT

first CFB player holdout?

thall_

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 25, 2022

taken from elsewhere:

UNLV insider Joe Arrigo is currently live on a Twitter space. He says Sluka went into Coach Odom’s office on Monday and said he needed $300k to stay. Odom said that was not happening and Sluka cleared out his locker. Sluka skipped practice on Tuesday and posted his intention to leave that night. Arrigo believes Sluka got an NIL agent after the Kansas game who got into Sluka’s ear about making more NIL money. The re may or may not be another school involved, but the timing of this implies that this is a play to try to strong arm UNLV into a payday now.

Dude is currently sitting at a 44% completion percentage, lol

taken from elsewhere:

UNLV insider Joe Arrigo is currently live on a Twitter space. He says Sluka went into Coach Odom’s office on Monday and said he needed $300k to stay. Odom said that was not happening and Sluka cleared out his locker. Sluka skipped practice on Tuesday and posted his intention to leave that night. Arrigo believes Sluka got an NIL agent after the Kansas game who got into Sluka’s ear about making more NIL money. The re may or may not be another school involved, but the timing of this implies that this is a play to try to strong arm UNLV into a payday now.

Dude is currently sitting at a 44% completion percentage, lol
Fake Surprised Season 8 GIF by Friends

😁

Reactions: king_kong_
Is that really same as a holdout? Holdout you want more, this case the kid never got what he was supposed to

Reactions: king_kong_
Looks like we’re not gonna know the truth here.

However, coach or Sluka could go on the record, but I predict neither will.

I think there will be a few cases of this, mostly among quarterbacks and receivers, but it won’t end well for them and it won’t be that commonplace.

Most coaches aren’t gonna have success with the guy on his third team in three years, so leave that alone.

You’re gonna have success poaching the best players from teams with the worst NIL. Poaching is a strong word, but accurate and fitting

Reactions: Huskers123456
I think there will be a few cases of this, mostly among quarterbacks and receivers, but it won’t end well for them and it won’t be that commonplace.

Most coaches aren’t gonna have success with the guy on his third team in three years, so leave that alone.

You’re gonna have success poaching the best players from teams with the worst NIL. Poaching is a strong word, but accurate and fitting
I think this is the tip of the iceberg. How common is it now to have players and almost entire teams sit out bowl games? How common was this 10 years ago? Every year more and more players sit out the bowl games; doesn't matter the reason. It is extremely common now that the team that played in the regular season is not the same team in the bowl games. It only takes one or two to start the avalanche...

Reactions: thall_
Hard to say I blame the guy. If I was promised $100k a year in a job interview and come to find out 3 days on the job I'm only actually going to be making $50k, I'd walk out in an instant.

Reactions: thall_
Until someone in college football grows a pair of balls and starts to set boundaries on all this bullshit, it is only going to get worse. Everyone wanted this; welcome to your nightmare.
No one in "college football" is able to do a dang thing about it. The courts are setting the rules -- basically, there are no rules. The only way to get this under control is through an antitrust exemption from Congress, which is not likely anytime soon

It was a UNLV assistant coach, not the UNLV collective, that made the promise of $100,000, according to Sluka's representative.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
Until someone in college football grows a pair of balls and starts to set boundaries on all this bullshit, it is only going to get worse. Everyone wanted this; welcome to your nightmare.
Maybe the SEC and B10 conferences step in and write rules that won't allow them to take these kids that pull this crap. They would have to be true to the rules though.

Maybe the SEC and B10 conferences step in and write rules that won't allow them to take these kids that pull this crap. They would have to be true to the rules though.
Again, that has been attempted. Such attempts are immediately challenged legally and the schools/conferences/NCAA loses. Only an antitrust exemption from Congress can get this under control, and it's not happening

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT