ADVERTISEMENT

Feels like some other dominoes are starting to fall...

So the B1G adds UDub, the Ducks, the Domers and Stanford to get to 20. Four 5 team divisions:
UDub, UCLA, U$C, UO and Stanford
Iowa, NU, Minn, Wiscy, and NW
Perdue, MSU, Ill, Mich and tOSU*
PSU, ND, Rutgers, Maryland, and Indiana*
*Not clear how these shake out. I'm assuming the tOSU/Michigan game is inviolable, so they would have to be in the same group.
Four games in division, five games against the others. With a home and home format, each team plays all league members at least once every six years.
Here's the end game (at least for a few years):
Big 10 WestBig 10 EastSEC EastSEC WestBig XII WestBig XII East
USCIndianaFloridaMississippiOregon StateBaylor
UCLAPurdueGeorgiaMississippi StWashington StHouston
NebraskaOhio StateSouth CarolinaLSUUtahOklahoma State
IowaMichiganTennesseeArkansasColoradoKansas
MinnesotaMSUVanderbiltMissouriArizonaKansas State
WisconsinPenn StateKentuckyTexas A&MArizona StateIowa State
Notre DameMarylandClemsonTexas BYUWest Virginia
StanfordRutgersVirginiaOklahomaTexas TechCincinnati
OregonNorthwesternNorth CarolinaAlabamaTCUUCF
WashingtonIllinoisFlorida StateAuburnCaliforniaLouisville

Here's the end game (at least for a few years):
Big 10 WestBig 10 EastSEC EastSEC WestBig XII WestBig XII East
USCIndianaFloridaMississippiOregon StateBaylor
UCLAPurdueGeorgiaMississippi StWashington StHouston
NebraskaOhio StateSouth CarolinaLSUUtahOklahoma State
IowaMichiganTennesseeArkansasColoradoKansas
MinnesotaMSUVanderbiltMissouriArizonaKansas State
WisconsinPenn StateKentuckyTexas A&MArizona StateIowa State
Notre DameMarylandClemsonTexas BYUWest Virginia
StanfordRutgersVirginiaOklahomaTexas TechCincinnati
OregonNorthwesternNorth CarolinaAlabamaTCUUCF
WashingtonIllinoisFlorida StateAuburnCaliforniaLouisville
No Miami, VaTech, Pitt, etc?

Reactions: baseball31ne
No Miami, VaTech, Pitt, etc?
I know, right? Or Syracuse, Duke, BC, NC State, Wake or Georgia Tech. The Big XII could take two of those instead of WSU and Oregon State.

Alternate Big XII:
Big XII WestBig XII East
BaylorMiami
HoustonPittsburgh
UtahOklahoma State
ColoradoKansas
ArizonaKansas State
Arizona StateIowa State
BYUWest Virginia
Texas TechCincinnati
TCUUCF
CaliforniaLouisville

Unless someone wants to go to 24 or 28 teams, or if a conference wants to cut under-performing members — Vandy, Rutgers, or (gulp) Nebraska — somebody gonna get left out.

I know, right? Or Syracuse, Duke, BC, NC State, Wake or Georgia Tech. The Big XII could take two of those instead of WSU and Oregon State.

Unless someone wants to go to 24 or 28 teams, or if a conference wants to cut under-performing members — Vandy, Rutgers, or (gulp) Nebraska — somebody gonna get left out.
Man I hope Illinois, Purdue and similar schools that are grandfathered in to the SEC or BIG realize how damn lucky they are

Reactions: BleedRed78
Oregon, Stanford, USC, UCLA and Norte Dame, Nebraska would loose 75% of the recruiting battles, even instate kids would no doubt choose a school on a role who better develope players for the NFL.
You overlook that Nebraska can also benefit from recruiting other places whose local or regional teams have been shut out of the conferences that matter. Which will more than offset the scenario you're concerned about.

Reactions: baseball31ne
This will for sure expand the playoffs, so that the networks can make even more cash.

16 hopefully.

So the B1G adds UDub, the Ducks, the Domers and Stanford to get to 20. Four 5 team divisions:
*Not clear how these shake out. I'm assuming the tOSU/Michigan game is inviolable, so they would have to be in the same group.
Four games in division, five games against the others. With a home and home format, each team plays all league members at least once every six years.
Like it. If the B1G eventually expands to 6 teams per division add Cal and 3 other schools such as North Carolina, Duke, Kansas or Virginia.

The one thing that the ACC has going for it is their TV contract which runs thru 2036. Members will have to pay a hefty exit fee if they wish to leave. This will likely discourage most members from trying to leave.

Not if the ACC implodes which is what SEC/ESPN is trying to make happen...no conference, no contract

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
I read somewhere that UCLA And USC do not want Oregon in the BIG. My guess is we end up with NC Duke Notre Dame Georgia Tech Stanford and one more.

I read somewhere that UCLA And USC do not want Oregon in the BIG. My guess is we end up with NC Duke Notre Dame Georgia Tech Stanford and one more.
I’m thinking the other 14 members might have thoughts about who to add in expansion. Of course I think all of this is insane, but if we are going to have a coast to coast league, it makes sense to have geographically cohesive divisions. If expansion occurs, more teams from the west should be added. From an athletic program standpoint, Oregon exceeds UCLA and is comparable to USC.

Unless I don't understand, any team you add has to bring a $$ amount that is equal to what teams are getting now or otherwise the payout per team goes down...or teams start to have unequal shares (which will be a shitshow).

In all reality, why would ESPN negotiate an exit from a sweetheart deal with the ACC to pay even more to the SEC, who they already have a deal in place with, just to add 4 teams, again that they already have a deal in place with?

That is bidding against yourself.
Could not agree more.

Unless I don't understand, any team you add has to bring a $$ amount that is equal to what teams are getting now or otherwise the payout per team goes down...or teams start to have unequal shares (which will be a shitshow).
That's why in the past, when NU was added, we were frozen at our CURRENT revenue (big 12) for 6 years until fully vested. Then we received full revenue share.

Gives you a leg up until new contracts can be written. The fact that we're in contract negotiations right now might complicate things and usc and ucla may want full revenue sharing with new contract. I can see that but also think they need to stay with what has worked in the past. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

That's why in the past, when NU was added, we were frozen at our CURRENT revenue (big 12) for 6 years until fully vested. Then we received full revenue share.

Gives you a leg up until new contracts can be written. The fact that we're in contract negotiations right now might complicate things and usc and ucla may want full revenue sharing with new contract. I can see that but also think they need to stay with what has worked in the past. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
What about Rutgers and Maryland? Didn't they come in at a full share immediately?

If Nebraska had brought in the 2nd largest TV market in the US and the amount of revenue that will add to the media deal, they would have been able to be fully vested from the beginning too. USC and UCLA will pay for themselves for sure.

Yes that's the thinking for admitting a single team one at a time. BUT I think if you added several teams while decimating other conferences at the same time, the surviving super conferences would likely have more negotiating power as the only games in town and their contracts would go up more than what each team would add separately. Just my opinion. The media giants are hungry for content and if you reduce the available significant conferences in play for those dollars, they wind up paying more.

Hard to see North Carolina leaving without Duke following along. But obviously at this point everyone is looking out for themselves.
Doesn't make sense for UNC and Duke not to place at least twice a year in basketball with a lot on the line. That's how rivalries are made. Same with Kansas and Missouri basketball, and the list is goes on and on if you look at all of the various sports.

What about Rutgers and Maryland? Didn't they come in at a full share immediately?

Yes and no...neither was able to pay their way in like NU did so they got a greater share up front but are having to pay in via loans from B1G over a longer period of time

U don't need to expand the playoffs by that much with two so called Super Conferences. For example, let's say the BIG and SEC have "4" divisions each. The winners of each division make the playoff which would be "8" teams. 1st Round occurs in early December, semi finals in and around New Years Day and National Championship a week and a half later, like occurs today. So basically you would have the winners of the BIG and SEC play each other for the National Championship each year. It sure looks like this is where things are headed. It's just a question of how many teams end up in the BIG and SEC (20-24 per conference would be my guess).

I think you sketched this out nicely. My only wish would be to add Utah and Kansas, but you have provided a realistic, balanced outline. Let’s hope that’s how it works out.

I think you sketched this out nicely. My only wish would be to add Utah and Kansas, but you have provided a realistic, balanced outline. Let’s hope that’s how it works out.
On what planet is Notre Dame agreeing to be lumped in with indiana, Rutgers, maryland and the shower clappers “realistic”?

there is a better chance of a pig flying out of your ass every day from now until ND’s NBC contract expires in 2025 than there is of this actually taking place.

20 is where the SEC is going. Yea, it's idiotic BS, but that is where the money is headed.
this whole deal just seems ludicrous to me. The question is why do this? You're going to end up with divisions very similar to the conferences as they are now. The individual teams in a conference will have less and less say in how things are done. I think this is going to come back and bite schools in the ass some day. There's going to be a conference commissioner who ends up having dictatorial power much the same as the NCAA had and in the meantime some of the traditional match ups will be gone. At some point my bet is that this money grab now is going to have some serious costs later for some if not all of the schools.

this whole deal just seems ludicrous to me. The question is why do this? You're going to end up with divisions very similar to the conferences as they are now. The individual teams in a conference will have less and less say in how things are done. I think this is going to come back and bite schools in the ass some day. There's going to be a conference commissioner who ends up having dictatorial power much the same as the NCAA had and in the meantime some of the traditional match ups will be gone. At some point my bet is that this money grab now is going to have some serious costs later for some if not all of the schools.
I agree. I think the B1G will do it (because they’re money-blind idiots) while the others come up with a better way and Disney foots the bill.

As I’ve said all along:

b1g and pac12 will merge & make money

The other 3 + Notre dame + big East hoops will affiliate under the Disney umbrella, make good enough money and win all the national titles

• Sad
Reactions: dinglefritz
Nebraska better pull its head out of its ass and do one of two things.

• Frosty better start winning a minimum of 9 games a year or fire his sorry ass, as Nebraska cant even be in the discussion as a team left out of the shuffle board. OR
  • Use some of this HUGE TV money and hire a freaking PROVEN Power 5 Winner. Nebraska cant afford to be the 5th brides maid.

I agree. I think the B1G will do it (because they’re money-blind idiots) while the others come up with a better way and Disney foots the bill.

As I’ve said all along:

The other 3 + Notre dame + big East hoops will affiliate under the Disney umbrella, make good enough money and win all the national titles
I guess I'm nostalgic for the old Big 8 days and traditional scheduling. The whole conference realignment thing kind of makes me nauseous. Traveling to Rutgers and Maryland for games....puke. It used to be that you could drive to every single school for away games. Just think how much this contributes to global warming with all of the air travel. It seems odd that such environmentally conscious corporations like the networks would condone this abuse.

As I’ve said all along:

Don’t know how ESPN/Disney is so successful - there are scores of people who swear they never watch ESPN.

Not to get political but there seems to be a sizable faction of one political party as well as a front runner to be the presidential nominee of that party who appear to have a personal vendetta against Disney

I guess I'm nostalgic for the old Big 8 days and traditional scheduling. The whole conference realignment thing kind of makes me nauseous. Traveling to Rutgers and Maryland for games....puke. It used to be that you could drive to every single school for away games. Just think how much this contributes to global warming with all of the air travel. It seems odd that such environmentally conscious corporations like the networks would condone this abuse.
you and I are 100% aligned, Dingle.

I also think the SEC and ACC value tradition a lot more than the B1G, even though it's all B1G fans ever talk about

Don’t know how ESPN/Disney is so successful - there are scores of people who swear they never watch ESPN.

Not to get political but there seems to be a sizable faction of one political party as well as a front runner to be the presidential nominee of that party who appear to have a personal vendetta against Disney
it's a fair point. to counter, I would say:

1 - those people are either lying or don't know the true reach of Disney and its properties

2 - a large majority of school presidents in the ACC/SEC will probably vote for the gov of FL while at the same time receiving a large check from Disney (something I suspect said gov already receives, given the reality of ruling FL & Disney being the state's #1 land owner and employer)

Reactions: Redmich
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT