ADVERTISEMENT

Fear of the unknown

Seems like there has been some sort of "fear of the unknown" from several on here over the past weeks.

To me, I'll gladly roll the dice on a new hire(s) rather than watch this program continue on its "known" path which has been evidenced throughout MR's tenure.
Fear of the unknown is what keeps animals from walking off cliffs.....

Reactions: redwine65
It's not fear of the unknown. It's recognition that the only way we will become better is to give a staff more time than we have given anyone not named "Bo". It's completely unfair to fire a staff after 3 years when we knew it was going to be a tough transition to a new offensive scheme. Also, I don't see any easy fixes for a new staff. We would likely be changing offensive scheme again, We have a lot of talent deficiencies and a brutal schedule the next few years. The sooner we recognize that Nebraska isn't a quick fix job, the sooner we will start becoming relevant again.

It's not fear of the unknown. It's recognition that the only way we will become better is to give a staff more time than we have given anyone not named "Bo". It's completely unfair to fire a staff after 3 years when we knew it was going to be a tough transition to a new offensive scheme. Also, I don't see any easy fixes for a new staff. We would likely be changing offensive scheme again, We have a lot of talent deficiencies and a brutal schedule the next few years. The sooner we recognize that Nebraska isn't a quick fix job, the sooner we will start becoming relevant again.

Exactly that^^^^^. I've said it before, it took 20 years of bad decisions to get the program where it is now. I (hopefully) correct decision won't turn things around in a heartbeat.

Seems like there has been some sort of "fear of the unknown" from several on here over the past weeks.

To me, I'll gladly roll the dice on a new hire(s) rather than watch this program continue on its "known" path which has been evidenced throughout MR's tenure.

It's not fear of the unknown. People don't want to be wrong, especially people who invested a lot of energy insulting others during the Riley era.

They live in fear. A news coach is a change at the CEO level. You either make the change or not. Life goes on either way. Riley will never be a winner at Nebraska. So you make the change.

They live in fear. A news coach is a change at the CEO level. You either make the change or not. Life goes on either way. Riley will never be a winner at Nebraska. So you make the change.
He's already "been a winner" at NU. What was the record last year? Had us ranked for a while. What does the future hold? As the disclaimer says, past performance is no guarantee of future returns. IF Riley is retained and he changes "somebody" on his offensive staff do we get better? Only way to find out is to let it play out.

He's already "been a winner" at NU. What was the record last year? Had us ranked for a while. What does the future hold? As the disclaimer says, past performance is no guarantee of future returns. IF Riley is retained and he changes "somebody" on his offensive staff do we get better? Only way to find out is to let it play out.

Sorry...ROTFL

100% agree.

Why continue to keep a losing machine HC? What's to be gained by keeping him around so NU can lose even more? It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to clearly see NU is going nowhere (fast!).

100% agree.

Why continue to keep a losing machine HC? What's to be gained by keeping him around so NU can lose even more? It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to clearly see NU is going nowhere (fast!).
IF you get the right coordinators all the head coach has to do is smile and hold press conferences and you save another 4-5 million in buyouts. People forget that IF Riley gets canned Diaco probably goes with him and that's another million or so.

Agree completely. If we go down the “hire a new coach”, we’ll set the program back another 5 years. I’m not sure I can take another 5 years of regression.

The reality is: this team is young and thin. Two years from now is when you evaluate. I don’t like what I’m seeing either, but who do we get that turns it around fast enough to keep the peeps happy? I mean we just hired a new defensive coordinator and WE ALL KNEW it was going to take a couple of years for a new scheme to look like it’s supposed to.

I’ll just say this: Riley finds a way to 7 wins and he should stay. 6-6; I’d keep him because I’m more optimistic than most on this board. He does all the other things we expect from a head coach at dear ol’ NU. I know wins are most important, but at least we don’t have that knuckle dragger Pelini on the sidelines anymore. For that I’m grateful. GBR!

Agree completely. If we go down the “hire a new coach”, we’ll set the program back another 5 years. I’m not sure I can take another 5 years of regression.

The reality is: this team is young and thin. Two years from now is when you evaluate. I don’t like what I’m seeing either, but who do we get that turns it around fast enough to keep the peeps happy? I mean we just hired a new defensive coordinator and WE ALL KNEW it was going to take a couple of years for a new scheme to look like it’s supposed to.

I’ll just say this: Riley finds a way to 7 wins and he should stay. 6-6; I’d keep him because I’m more optimistic than most on this board. He does all the other things we expect from a head coach at dear ol’ NU. I know wins are most important, but at least we don’t have that knuckle dragger Pelini on the sidelines anymore. For that I’m grateful. GBR!
The only one who's sent this program back for the past 3 years is Eichorst and hiring a mediocre coach in Riley. A new coach will NOT set the program back. Keeping a mediocre coach will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT