ADVERTISEMENT

Fake Slide

RedMyMind

Assistant Head Coach
Aug 22, 2017
Pitt QB executed a fake slide to score a TD. I was wondering when a QB would finally do it.
Should the rules be changed?
I can see some potential issues arising from this.

The question then becomes, "what is the official telling of a slide?"
A stumble shouldn't penalize the QB.

Not so sure that was an intentional fake...very possible he legit went to do it and realized he still had room. Not sure what the answer is if it was an intended fake either.... I like protecting the QB so if that means a fake here and there so be it.

Reactions: Red I 73
Not so sure that was an intentional fake...very possible he legit went to do it and realized he still had room. Not sure what the answer is if it was an intended fake either.... I like protecting the QB so if that means a fake here and there so be it.
What happens if the QB fakes it, the defender doesn't fall for it, attacks the QB, and then the QB "draws the foul" by quickly sliding? I agree, it will be interesting to see what happens.

What happens if the QB fakes it, the defender doesn't fall for it, attacks the QB, and then the QB "draws the foul" by quickly sliding? I agree, it will be interesting to see what happens.

A star QB or two who gets hurt doing a fake will end that crap immediately...and both QB's for both teams are allowed to fake a slide so the odds are even on this issue I.M.O.

I think it is incumbent on the offensive team to decide the degree to which they want to protect their QB. I would like a rule that once a QB passes the line of scrimmage they are a running back and can be smoked The offensive team can decide if they want their QB to throw the ball away to keep him safe or scramble and risk getting lit up

I think, given its football, contact is ok if defense has proper intent. And not sure it a player is down yet and hitting them is fine. Once again, it is ****ing football. We gotta stop treating.a qb that is running like they are children

A star QB or two who gets hurt doing a fake will end that crap immediately...and both QB's for both teams are allowed to fake a slide so the odds are even on this issue I.M.O.
Basically, if I am a defender, I'm making the QB slide under my legs.

I think it is incumbent on the offensive team to decide the degree to which they want to protect their QB. I would like a rule that once a QB passes the line of scrimmage they are a running back and can be smoked The offensive team can decide if they want their QB to throw the ball away to keep him safe or scramble and risk getting lit up

I'd be fine with this.

I understand the "both sides" argument, but what gets missed is player safety (and the reason for the slide rule). While my opinion, I contend a fake slide increases the risk of injury, and thus needs to be addressed.

How much "faking" constitutes a fake? 30 degree knee flexion? Coupled with leaning back? Ref judgement?
agreed. will be difficult to assess, but can't not address because it'd be difficult. Targeting is often times a difficult call with mitigating factors and its a (necessary) rule for player safety.

We have seen guys fake and out of bounds move before and nobody is clamoring to do anything crazy about that. Fake throwing it away, etc. It isn't possible to legislate out every single move or idea in football.

I propose that at the beginning of each quarter, both teams declare if their qb is a runner or not. If he is, he gets no special protections. If he is not, it's one hand touch at any time he runs past the LOS.

I propose that at the beginning of each quarter, both teams declare if their qb is a runner or not. If he is, he gets no special protections. If he is not, it's one hand touch at any time he runs past the LOS.
I think we already have one hand touch. We just call it targeting.

The qb admitted after the game it was indeed a fake

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
How much "faking" constitutes a fake? 30 degree knee flexion? Coupled with leaning back? Ref judgement?
Many fouls are judgement calls. The rule is you are down where you give it up and start your slide. Fakes could and should have a hair trigger for a threshold. You know, for player safety.

I think it's great. Think of what football would be like if dudes just understood it's a violent game.

Any player who has the ball in their hands is a target for tackling in the tackle box. If you duck or go low you give yourself up for further injury. No whining. Not the defense's fault you want to get cute. If you jump, same thing.

Like it used to be.

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
I kinda almost hope that someone lights his ass up next time he slides/fakes it. There is film on him faking it now, so one could argue that they thought he was faking again.

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
cant a rb slide and get the same protection. they are "giving themselves up". dont they become a defenseless player at that point? They will get laughed out of the film room, but I think they can still do it.

Reactions: pgainey
cant a rb slide and get the same protection. they are "giving themselves up". dont they become a defenseless player at that point? They will get laughed out of the film room, but I think they can still do it.
Correct - I think the refs just need to not be so over protective to the QBs - it is the teams/players choice to run - unless egregious there shouldn’t be a penalty

Pitt QB executed a fake slide to score a TD. I was wondering when a QB would finally do it.
Should the rules be changed?
I can see some potential issues arising from this.

IF I'm the DC of the team Pitt plays in a bowl game I tell my guys, "IF he acts like he's going to slide drill his ass and I'll deal with the fallout from the refs".

We have seen guys fake and out of bounds move before and nobody is clamoring to do anything crazy about that. Fake throwing it away, etc. It isn't possible to legislate out every single move or idea in football.
Was thinking the same. Fake kneel down, fake spike of the ball.

I think it's great. Think of what football would be like if dudes just understood it's a violent game.

Any player who has the ball in their hands is a target for tackling in the tackle box. If you duck or go low you give yourself up for further injury. No whining. Not the defense's fault you want to get cute. If you jump, same thing.

Like it used to be.
How it used to be kinda sucked

Once the QB is past the line-of-scrimmage, he should be treated like any other runner.
Precisely.

This is football. Its not up to the refs or defense to “protect the qb”. F the qb, especially if he’s running past the LOS.

Get rid of tick tac roughing the passer calls, also. They make the game quality worse. If a team wants to drop their QB back 40 times with 5-man protection thats on them, not the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT