ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches….

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
… and I was one for 48 years, so I’m extremely hesitant to criticize ESPECIALLY in a sport I didn’t coach, but I would love to know why Dan Campbell attempt to kick either field goal when he could have… may have changed the game

Jmo

… and I was one for 48 years, so I’m extremely hesitant to criticize ESPECIALLY in a sport I didn’t coach, but I would love to know why Dan Campbell attempt to kick either field goal when he could have… may have changed the game

Jmo
Because he was too hyped up and still too much of a player mentality. You've gotta do the "coach " thing.

Either that or he had 0 confidence in his fg kicker which I doubt or no confidence in D

Reactions: baseball31ne

Jmo
Matt rhule made similar mistake this year too

I like him. He seems like a great guy. He also seems like a giant of a man, my god.
I like him, too...his players seem to play for him...and in fairness, without the fluky catch early in 2nd half and the fumble(neither which were HIS fault) we might not be having this talk....

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Going for it on 4th is what got the Lions there. He’s been aggressive all year. Tons of fake punts. Going for it on your side of the 50. He’s aggressive like that. And the kicker isn’t great.

And the first attempt would have closed the game if Reynolds would have caught it. And then he dropped a 3rd down as well.

I didn’t expect us to beat the 49ers. But losing a 17 point lead hurts.

The dropped catches, the fumble, the dropped INT/huge catch were more of a reason for the loss than going for it.

Going for it on 4th is what got the Lions there. He’s been aggressive all year. Tons of fake punts. Going for it on your side of the 50. He’s aggressive like that. And the kicker isn’t great.

And the first attempt would have closed the game if Reynolds would have caught it. And then he dropped a 3rd down as well.

I didn’t expect us to beat the 49ers. But losing a 17 point lead hurts.

The dropped catches, the fumble, the dropped INT/huge catch were more of a reason for the loss than going for it.
I agree ...KIND of....don't become who you are not, but NOT kicking the field energized the 49ers after the stop, and then the fortunate catch, then...well, the floodgates opened....

Was rooting HARD for the Lions!

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I agree ...KIND of....don't become who you are not, but NOT kicking the field energized the 49ers after the stop, and then the fortunate catch, then...well, the floodgates opened....

Was rooting HARD for the Lions!
Hindsight makes it hard. If Reynolds catches the ball, we praise Campbell for his style and move on. But there is a drop and now it’s dumb.

And totally agree, when it doesn’t convert, it just kills you.

He blew it is right. Up 17 at the half with all the momentum. 27 unanswered points later. I laughed and laughed. What a buffoon.

Jmo

Coaches coach with data analytics now not their professional opinion on what they should do

Coaches coach with data analytics now not their professional opinion on what they should do
This. I read an article that said his probability of winning was 2-3% higher making the decisions he did. Plus, his "just go for it" mentality didn't allow him to argue with those numbers...only solidified them.

This. I read an article that said his probability of winning was 2-3% higher making the decisions he did. Plus, his "just go for it" mentality didn't allow him to argue with those numbers...only solidified them.
Maybe he saw Reynolds make that catch on that play a dozen times that week. That may make him throw away the analytics on one roll of the dice.

Reactions: huntered
I don't think they are one and done. Campbell is a damn good coach. He and his team will learn from this and be better for it. He won't let one bad half define his program.
I don't think they are one and done either but a lot of times you need breaks to make it to the SB. A few injuries and your playing all road games. Goff could get hurt. I don't think the Packers are going away so who knows if they win the division again in the next couple of years.

I don't think they are one and done either but a lot of times you need breaks to make it to the SB. A few injuries and your playing all road games. Goff could get hurt. I don't think the Packers are going away so who knows if they win the division again in the next couple of years.

Packers finished one game over .500 with a soft schedule and a lot of people think they're on their way. I'm not so sure. I know they're young but Love hasn't been paid yet so we'll see gow long they can kewp everyone. Being in that division helps with detroit being their only competition.

Last edited:
Packers finished one game over .500 and a lot of people think they're on their way. I'm not so sure. I know they're young but Love hasn't been paid yet so we'll see gow long they can kewp everyone. Being in that division helps with detroit being their only competition.
Lions took advantage of the Packers youth and the Vikings injuries. Good for them. I wouldn't make the assumption that the Packers will start 3-6 next year. They do need to clean up the defense though.

The WR who dropped the ball that was right in his hands is to blame for that fiasco. Coach and QB did their part. They can't catch it to. You gotta make that catch.
Correct, this was the turning point of the game, all momentum flipped.

Lions took advantage of the Packers youth and the Vikings injuries. Good for them. I wouldn't make the assumption that the Packers will start 3-6 next year. They do need to clean up the defense though.
The Lions also had a bunch of injuries. Their number CB1 was out all year. So was their nickle CB. And both guards missed all or a lot of the year. And their best IDL rusher.

They get all their core back. And have a bunch of cap space. If the Lions get some secondary pieces and another rush end, they’re going to be a completely different team defensively.

Add in Jamo Williams coming off an injury and then missing the first half of the year with suspension. Their offense should be improved too.

The Lions also had a bunch of injuries. Their number CB1 was out all year. So was their nickle CB. And both guards missed all or a lot of the year. And their best IDL rusher.

They get all their core back. And have a bunch of cap space. If the Lions get some secondary pieces and another rush end, they’re going to be a completely different team defensively.

Add in Jamo Williams coming off an injury and then missing the first half of the year with suspension. Their offense should be improved too.
Yeah..I'm not trying to dog on the Lions. Like them and like their coach. North now goes through them until someone else wins it. Everyone has injuries. Packers would have majorly benefitted from having Jones, Dillon, Alexander, and Bahktiari, and Watson healthy for the majority of the season. Packers return the vast majority of their team as well.

Is all I was originally saying is that even good teams don't always get to the SB and you usually need some breaks to get there. Sucks to be that close and blow it.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I don't think they are one and done. Campbell is a damn good coach. He and his team will learn from this and be better for it. He won't let one bad half define his program.
I TOTALLY agree with him being a great coach and learning from it… I DON’T always agree with analytics

Reactions: cavalot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT