ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion again in Big 10?

That's fine. Everyone is always looking for someone else to blame when things don't go as planned.

I have studied the merger of the Big 8 and the SWC pretty extensively. I know through articles that 4 schools bullied the uneven revenue sharing and 4 schools fought hard to have the Tier 3 media rights negotiated by individual schools. Then when 3 of the 4 decided that a big 12 network would be more lucrative to them than a school specific network, they wanted Texas to abandon their LHN plan. When Texas said no, they became the easy guy to blame. The fact that a Husker, Sooner or Aggie network couldn't get the support to get off the ground became secondary. So two of the 4 took their ball and left, 2 of the weak sisters got potentially better offers and left and the remaining 7 had to do whatever Texas wanted because a Big 12 without Texas was not very attractive in the media world.

But again you had four guys that were greedy and 3 got pissed when the 4th got really greedy.

Unfortunately I think this true. You can argue that the programs that bring in the most money should get a bigger share. The top four got into a fight over who was the biggest dog of all. The dominate wolf leads the pack and it wasn't us.

I don't think the LHN thing was the biggest factor. Conference stability was. When the texas 6 almost dashed off to the PAC 10, that really got Nebraska looking at contingency plans. When texass wouldn't commit to the Big 12 long term, Nebraska got proactive.

Reactions: schuele
I don't think the LHN thing was the biggest factor. Conference stability was. When the texas 6 almost dashed off to the PAC 10, that really got Nebraska looking at contingency plans. When texass wouldn't commit to the Big 12 long term, Nebraska got proactive.

I think many of you have brought great points that were definitely factors. I wish someone behind the scenes with knowledge about everything that took place would write a book about those times. I would buy it. Winking

I find it a little humorous about people's distaste for Texas because of their greed. Don't we hear time and time again that greed is capitalism and we should encourage someone to maximize what they can to get ahead? Why is it different for a sports team?
And wanting to take them down is our version of greed. Its called competition. They have the right to try to maximize, just like its our right to hate them, maximize ourselves by joining a more lucritive league, and do our best to keep them out as they would instantly be a competitor for power.
No idea how you dont understand that.
Everyone and everything is greedy. People who hate capitalism hate it because they are greedy and dont understand it.

Often overlooked here is the Big 10 members' academic consortium, running parallel to the athletic conference and not rooted in the raw pursuit of athletic money. The University presidents have more in common, collegially, whereas all the Big 12 really had was football and men's basketball. (And yes, we all know the AAU story.)

ADVERTISEMENT