ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion again in Big 10?

I am 58 and attended every NU vs OU home game from 1970 to 1997. I also went with my dad and brother for the "big one" in Norman in 71. So my reason for wanting OU back on the schedule is pure nostalgia.

Reactions: huskersdewclaw
I dunno, seems more exciting to me than iowa, rutgers, maryland, indiana, purdue, illinois, northwestern...

I will give you that. I'm just tired of the pompous, arrogant , holier than thou attitude that has permeated their fan base since the 1960's.
Plus my trips to Norman have been some of the worst fan encounters I've experienced and I've been to many college venues.
I realize I'm in the minority in my feelings and that's ok. Perhaps things will improve now that Stoops is gone.

What they want is OU and TX what they will get is OU and KU. Rrt why do you say that about OU, their fans miss NEb/OU as much as we do, high respect from them whenever I say I'm a Husker
There are vastly differing opinions in my experience. I lived in Oklahoma from '98 to '06. I'm also in my 40's. People around my age and older have respect for Nebraska and the rivalry. There are a lot of OU fans that are clueless though, typically younger fans.
When I got to Oklahoma there were No OU flags, No OU T-shirts, you wouldn't think football was a big deal. Definitely not on the level of Nebraska's fans. After Bob shows up and that had that 13-0 year, OU crap came out of the closet. The younger pukes became extremely arrogant like the 90's never happened, and any rivalry between NU n OU didn't exist.

I'd like to add 0u,ku and houston, some texas team by a big recruiting area

Cant we just kick rutgers and maryland out? Everything about them sucks. Everything. Dont give me tv market crap..no one watches them becase everything about them sucks. Right down to the uniforms.
sad reality is, for the old guard (original 10), many put us in the same place. PSU hasn't supplanted anyone's 'rivalries' and they are a quarter of a century in. But yes, Rutgers and MD add no sizzle to falls and winters across the midwest.

KU can't get an invite since they don't bring in revenue either from a good football program or a really big TV market.

They would bring Kansas City, Topeka, and Lawrence. Depends on what the Big 10 is looking for but television markets alone might not be enough...they better get that football program beefed up soon. Winking

They would bring Kansas City, Topeka, and Lawrence. Depends on what the Big 10 is looking for but television markets alone might not be enough...they better get that football program beefed up soon. Winking

The next expansion probably won't be about TV markets as much as will be about how big a fan base and following certain schools have. When the Big Ten TV contract runs out in 2023 (I believe), you're probably be looking more at streaming rights than you will TV network rights. Instead of cities/market sizes, expanding conferences will probably be looking towards how many "subscribers" or "fans" they can get from a school to pay for streaming services or whatever media platform takes over be the primary source to air games by then. Straight over the air or cable/satellite TV could be nearly irrelevant in the next 6 years.

KU can't get an invite since they don't bring in revenue either from a good football program or a really big TV market.

Living in KC, I think you're wrong. As I said in my previous post, KU has a huge alumni base with money. KC is growing rapidly. KU's football program is a sleeping giant in my opinion. Maybe not playoff big, but think sustainability like Oklahoma State, Oregon, Wisconsin, hell even Nebraska as we are today. KU has the money, they have the fan support, they have a national brand with basketball they just have to figure out how to leverage that in football. They also have solid location for a Midwest school. Direct flights from anywhere in the country to KC, then 45 minutes down I-70 to Lawrence. They just announced a $300M upgrade to football facilities. They are one really solid football coach away from being really dangerous, and Mangino proved that. If they figure out football, they are a shoe in for they BIG.

I will give you that. I'm just tired of the pompous, arrogant , holier than thou attitude that has permeated their fan base since the 1960's.
Plus my trips to Norman have been some of the worst fan encounters I've experienced and I've been to many college venues.
I realize I'm in the minority in my feelings and that's ok. Perhaps things will improve now that Stoops is gone.
Really? My experience there was good. It was the game TMart threw a pick 6 first play we had the ball and they waxed us, so maybe their fans were in a good mood. But they were pretty cool before the game too.

Living in KC, I think you're wrong. As I said in my previous post, KU has a huge alumni base with money. KC is growing rapidly. KU's football program is a sleeping giant in my opinion. Maybe not playoff big, but think sustainability like Oklahoma State, Oregon, Wisconsin, hell even Nebraska as we are today. KU has the money, they have the fan support, they have a national brand with basketball they just have to figure out how to leverage that in football. They also have solid location for a Midwest school. Direct flights from anywhere in the country to KC, then 45 minutes down I-70 to Lawrence. They just announced a $300M upgrade to football facilities. They are one really solid football coach away from being really dangerous, and Mangino proved that. If they figure out football, they are a shoe in for they BIG.
Hes pretty much a troll. Hes made 150 posts and they all say the same thing. Even after KU is in the BiG TeN, he will be in here saying they wont ever get invited bcuz football etc

I'm just the opposite. Hope to never see them again.
I understand your bitterness towards OU considering they sided with UT on almost everything since entering the Big 12. It was a sucka move and they're paying for it now but N needed OU and that annual game against the Sooners is one of the reasons N football became what it did. IMHO ending that rivalry hurt N football a lot because it was the only true rivalry they ever had. It's like taking Michigan away from OSU.

I understand your bitterness towards OU considering they sided with UT on almost everything since entering the Big 12. It was a sucka move and they're paying for it now but N needed OU and that annual game against the Sooners is one of the reasons N football became what it did. IMHO ending that rivalry hurt N football a lot because it was the only true rivalry they ever had. It's like taking Michigan away from OSU.

Remember who ended the Nebraska Oklahoma rivalry...it wasn't the team in the north. Winking

Cant we just kick rutgers and maryland out? Everything about them sucks. Everything. Dont give me tv market crap..no one watches them becase everything about them sucks. Right down to the uniforms.
IMO, the B1G wasn't just looking at what those schools bring to the conference as of this year. IMO, bringing them in was a long term strategic move that also considered their academic reputation and their POTENTIAL athletic contributions. There is little doubt in my mind that long term they will be positive contributors to the conference in athletics. Our problem at NU is that our brains are clouded with the fog of football glory days gone by. What does NU bring to the table now other than name recognition for football from past success? Great facilities, mediocre baseball, bad basketball, mediocre football lately....... We should be darned glad to be where we are and quit bitching about Rutgers and Maryland. They don't hurt the conference one bit.

Reactions: ssmill777
IMO, the B1G wasn't just looking at what those schools bring to the conference as of this year. IMO, bringing them in was a long term strategic move that also considered their academic reputation and their POTENTIAL athletic contributions. There is little doubt in my mind that long term they will be positive contributors to the conference in athletics. Our problem at NU is that our brains are clouded with the fog of football glory days gone by. What does NU bring to the table now other than name recognition for football from past success? Great facilities, mediocre baseball, bad basketball, mediocre football lately....... We should be darned glad to be where we are and quit bitching about Rutgers and Maryland. They don't hurt the conference one bit.
I have no problem and you can have your opinion, glad im smart enough to not overthink my way into sharing it.

Nebraska was added to the Big 10 because of the volleyball program...everyone knows that. Winking

The only real questions left are which conference will Texas and OU join, and which conference, if any, will Notre Dame join?

I have no problem and you can have your opinion, glad im smart enough to not overthink my way into sharing it.
Clearly you didn't "overthink" your opinion. In fact it would appear that it was strictly a gut reaction with very little intelligent thought put in to it.Laughing JUST KIDDING. Sorry for the zinger but it was just too easy.:D I really don't worry about the conference thing. I for one would like to see ISU in our conference just so we had a close by whipping boy to play every year in football. It would be an easy drive and boy would it piss Iowa off.Winking

As these conferences seek to expand, each "brand" will naturally be diluted a bit. There are only so many big names in each sport. Even though NU has had some tough years, it is still a name folks know. Why not bring KU in for the round ball?

As these conferences seek to expand, each "brand" will naturally be diluted a bit. There are only so many big names in each sport. Even though NU has had some tough years, it is still a name folks know. Why not bring KU in for the round ball?

Because KU would be dilutive to existing schools.

Because KU would be dilutive to existing schools.

Exactly

I think by dilutive he means that future schools won't bring in the amount of revenue to keep everyone else whole. If every B1G team is earning $40 mil/ yr, will bringing KU into the B1G add an additional $40 mil or will a combination of KU and another school, not named Texas, bring in $80 mil?

Reactions: saluno22
They sure didn't hurt our case.

Osborne highlighted all of the tremendous attributes of the volleyball program and then did a mic drop to finish his presentation to Jim Delaney and the Big 10. I heard there was a standing ovation and Go Big Red chants in the room.

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg

Kansas should be in the B1G. Pearlman and TO should have leveraged with the B1G to bring in Kansas with Nebraska.
T.O. and Perlman had that kind of leverage? Who knew?

Could have called it Kansas-Nebraska Act Part II, assuming the Big Ten was looking to add a lot of farmland and build a transcontinental railroad.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I agree with this whole heartedly... seen it all too often that's why I want to get back to kicking their doors in like we used to

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT