ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion again in Big 10?

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/e...-schools-whove-shown-interest-joining-big-ten
The Big Ten has operated as a 14-team entity since Maryland and Rutgers were added to the fold for the 2014-15 school year.

Could 16 schools — imagine the Sooners and Longhorns or Sooners and Jayhawks in the West Division — be the next logical step?

“It could,” Osborne said with a smile. “I don’t know. It seems like if people throw enough money on the table, most anything is possible.”

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/e...-schools-whove-shown-interest-joining-big-ten
The Big Ten has operated as a 14-team entity since Maryland and Rutgers were added to the fold for the 2014-15 school year.

Could 16 schools — imagine the Sooners and Longhorns or Sooners and Jayhawks in the West Division — be the next logical step?

“It could,” Osborne said with a smile. “I don’t know. It seems like if people throw enough money on the table, most anything is possible.”

Texas maybe. I would love to have them. But not Oklahoma or Kansas.

Texas maybe. I would love to have them. But not Oklahoma or Kansas.
I'm opposite. Would welcome the old OU-NU rivalry. Kansas would be great for BB and close road football games. Texa$$ can rot. They ruin conferences with their arrogance and greed and are doing it again which is why teams are bailing on the Big 12.....again. Suck it whorns

Last edited:
Why anyone wants OU is beyond me. Believe me, Nebraska fans love of OU is misplaced and certainly not reciprocated.
I hate Texas, they can NEVER join the BIG. As for OU, I've met many here in Colorado, in Nebraska, Kansas, and Arizona over the past decade that still like Nebraska and pull for them, (except when they play against OU). I would rather have OU than Texas if it came down to choosing only one for the BIG. I'm sure there are OU fans that have a dislike of Nebraska, but I sure don't meet many.

What would be ideal, and will never happen now, is if Kansas and Missouri were taken into the Big 10. Missouri will never leave the SEC and it's pile of money.

The article has no new information and the same old speculation. The same exact information has been hashed and rehashed on message boards for five years.

every major conference is slobbering over the prospect of adding Texas. I can understand why folks here don't like them .. I don't either ... but I suspect the BIG really won't give a crap if Nebraska is or is not in favor of adding Texas.

Last edited:
What they want is OU and TX what they will get is OU and KU. Rrt why do you say that about OU, their fans miss NEb/OU as much as we do, high respect from them whenever I say I'm a Husker

Reactions: dpnavy and bigboxes
Why anyone wants OU is beyond me. Believe me, Nebraska fans love of OU is misplaced and certainly not reciprocated.

Totally disagree... I can't stand OU but respect them and I know several people after living there for several years that would love to have NU back on the turkey day game annually..

I'll try to be brief while still addressing many of the concerns listed previously

- nobody in the Big Ten cares if Nebraska has an issue with Texas. If the issues around the Longhorn Network can be resolved, Nebraska's distrust or dislike is irrelevant.

As much as it pains me to say, Nebraska carries zero, I mean zero weight in the BigTen. If Wisconsin, Ohio St and Michigan want to add UTEP, UTEP will be a member.

KU is a basketball schoool. Period. If you look at the media contracts and tv revenue for basketball only schools, they pale in comparison to football schools. If Creighton or Wichita St had a football team that played in the Big 12, they would be Kansas.

Simple fact is money makes the world go around and Texas makes money. Like it or not.

I have zero problem with OU and always respected them, and it seems like there are plenty of OU fans that still respect and miss our rivalry to. I'd be just fine adding them. Hell, we added freaking Maryland and Rutgers, OU or Texas would be a huuuuge improvement from the last round of expansion.

I'm all for KU. Don't care much for OU or Texas. Maybe it's because I live in KC and have many friends who are KU fans. KU actually baffles me a little from a football standpoint. Obviously their basketball tradition would be a great addition to the Big 10. Football wise, call me crazy, but IMO KU has huge football potential. Lawrence is a great college town and it's growing rapidly. Its proximity to Kansas City makes it easily accessible to recruits anywhere in the country. They have a huge alumni base with massive support and growing financial resources. They just announced a $300M upgrade to their football stadium and facilities. All they need is a good head coach and they could go to the next level very quickly. I suppose you could say that about any program, but I think KU has some built in advantages that will make it easier for them to go to the next level than other schools. I doubt they win a National Title, or make a playoff, but there really is no good reason KU can't, or shouldn't go bowling every year. And I think their alumni are beginning to recognize that they can have great success in both basketball and football if they just dedicate the resources. And that is beginning to happen. If they get football figured out, I think they are a no brainer for the Big 10.

The day may come, in the distant future, when Kansas is a real possibility.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Neither Oklahoma or Texas will EVER be a part of the Big 10. Never...ever...

I'll try to be brief while still addressing many of the concerns listed previously

- nobody in the Big Ten cares if Nebraska has an issue with Texas. If the issues around the Longhorn Network can be resolved, Nebraska's distrust or dislike is irrelevant.

As much as it pains me to say, Nebraska carries zero, I mean zero weight in the BigTen. If Wisconsin, Ohio St and Michigan want to add UTEP, UTEP will be a member.

KU is a basketball schoool. Period. If you look at the media contracts and tv revenue for basketball only schools, they pale in comparison to football schools. If Creighton or Wichita St had a football team that played in the Big 12, they would be Kansas.

Simple fact is money makes the world go around and Texas makes money. Like it or not.

Thanks Tuco, ditto , i would bet heavily KU is not a candidate unless the state of kansas is a big enough tv market ala Rutgers / Maryland, but it's not.

I know it makes sense that we are all focusing on prior Big XII members. It would not surprise me to see the Big Ten look east or southeast as well where there are more tv sets. That could include Virginia and it's academic pedigree, etc. and similar schools. I agree KU is the best bet though.

Here is why Texas will never join the Big Ten.
1. They like to be their own boss, which they basically are now.
2. It used to be the Big XII schools would raid Texas after the Whorns took their pick of who they wanted, for the most part anyway. Now you have the SEC also going after the top dawgs.
3. The last thing they want is the Big Ten also raiding their state. NU and Ohio State do it a little now. Can you imagine if Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State also started doing it?
I just think that UT knows they have a good thing and won't leave it.

Reactions: Morgan747
KU is a national brand for basketball and the value they would bring was estimated at about 1 million/yr less than Notre Dame. Ive linked this info several times in the past but people already have their minds made up despite any evidence to the contrary I guess. One thing KU needs to do is get rid of their worthless AD before the GOR comes close to expiring.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I'm all for KU. Don't care much for OU or Texas. Maybe it's because I live in KC and have many friends who are KU fans. KU actually baffles me a little from a football standpoint. Obviously their basketball tradition would be a great addition to the Big 10. Football wise, call me crazy, but IMO KU has huge football potential. Lawrence is a great college town and it's growing rapidly. Its proximity to Kansas City makes it easily accessible to recruits anywhere in the country. They have a huge alumni base with massive support and growing financial resources. They just announced a $300M upgrade to their football stadium and facilities. All they need is a good head coach and they could go to the next level very quickly. I suppose you could say that about any program, but I think KU has some built in advantages that will make it easier for them to go to the next level than other schools. I doubt they win a National Title, or make a playoff, but there really is no good reason KU can't, or shouldn't go bowling every year. And I think their alumni are beginning to recognize that they can have great success in both basketball and football if they just dedicate the resources. And that is beginning to happen. If they get football figured out, I think they are a no brainer for the Big 10.

I believe that KU sees the handwriting on the wall. They are planning to make massive improvements to their football facilities with the purpose of making the athletic program more attractive if/when there is another round of conference realignment. Obviously they need to continue building the product on the field and these changes might help with landing better recruits. Their basketball program is as good as any in the country. However they also know that football brings in the money when it comes to conference television contracts.

Will it help or work...who knows? However, you can't fault them for being proactive with making these facilities improvements with the hopes of finding a soft landing place in another conference.

KU is a national brand for basketball and the value they would bring was estimated at about 1 million/yr less than Notre Dame. Ive linked this info several times in the past but people already have their minds made up despite any evidence to the contrary I guess. One thing KU needs to do is get rid of their worthless AD before the GOR comes close to expiring.

I believe he just signed an extension.

Zenger has been hardly proactive on this front. He got to this point after years of delays. His extension was a parting gift from BGL. We will have to see what their new chancellor does when he gets settled in

I've been beating this drum for years. Oklahoma and Kansas...
a0e7eba30e2c435d0f20a0c32a95816a876363a32d6553c1eee3edd849c7bf73.jpg

These rumors always make me chuckle. People who theorize about OU or KU going anywhere without K-STATE and Okie State don't know a thing about State politics in Kansas or Oklahoma.

I'm involved locally with State politics in Kansas and get frequent updates directly from our city and county delegations in Topeka. While Kansas has far bigger fish to fry than which school is going to play in which conference I would say this is completely untrue. Perhaps it was true 5 years ago, but I would say Kansas' financial situation is such that 1. The legislature doesn't have time to take on conference expansion, and 2. They're really not in a position to turn away more money flowing into the state. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt there's much appetite in Topeka to keep KU and K-State together at this juncture.

Honestly, I see OU and Texas staying in the Big 12. And if the B-12 gets off their lazy rear ends and finds two more suitable teams to join them, all will quickly be forgotten about OU and Tex leaving. I suspect that there are more than a few BIG AD's that don't want them either.

Reactions: Skerz4Life50
What suitable teams are left to join the Big 12? No one is leaving a P5 to join, so you are stuck with a mid major

BYU - private school, mountain time zone - some history but trips for non football sports are difficult. Morgantown to Provo for a mid-week basketball game. No Sunday games means all baseball and softball series against them are Thurs - Sat. Meh

Boise St - adds no major TV market, mountain time zone, same travel concerns me

Cincinnati and Memphis might make sense. But do you really believe Cincinnati or Memphis is a legit P5 school?

Houston - no fan support for any program. 40k football stadium doesn't even sell out. Houston market is already in the Big12 footprint. Good fit in name only.

UCF and USF - only feasible if you add both and both continue to spend money to upgrade facilities. Adding only one makes about as much sense as adding W Virginia.

The fact is that if there was any school out there that made fiscal and cultural sense, the league would have expanded last summer when they put on their dog and pony show. Both Texas and Oklahoma know that there isn't a program out there that will elevate the Big 12 to the levels of the other leagues in terms of media rights payout. In order for OU and Texas to be guaranteed that kind of coin is to join one of the other 4 leagues.

every major conference is slobbering over the prospect of adding Texas. I can understand why folks here don't like them .. I don't either ... but I suspect the BIG really won't give a crap if Nebraska is or is not in favor of adding Texas.
I agree. But if we take texas, it would be the nail in the coffin on my distaste for the B1G. I like the money, stability, and being away from Texas. But right now thats it, amd every new thing out of the big is a disappointment, most recently friday night games. If they take texas ill feel like im in a worse big12 again. I also hope they dont make the maryland rutgers mistake again. Kansas and Oklahoma would be ideal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT