ADVERTISEMENT

Duece Vaughn vs Wandale Robinson

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
For all of the posters saying that Wandale was misused by asking him to run the ball between the tackles, did anyone notice how KSU used Deuce Vaughn? There is no way in hell that Vaughn is bigger than Wandale. He's listed at 5'5" and 171 lbs but there is no freaking way that he's that big. He seemed to do just fine playing RB and running between the tackles against LSU last night. That's the first time I've watched KSU for any length of time and granted LSU was down a bunch of players, but Vaughn was just fine at RB. By looking at Vaughn stand next to Warner, I believe that Vaughn is probably an inch or two shorter than Wandale and he can't weight over 160 lbs. No way.

But if he decides tomorrow he no longer wants to be used the way he was recruited that is an indictment of the KSU staff right? After all they are asking this poor football player to block people and even run between the tackles.

Wandale wanted to go home. Good for him, he wasn't misused at Nebraska, he just likes to create drama. Kid is a heck of a football player, but we should move on from the conversation. Wandale doesn't have the toughness of Vaughn, but not all players are a like.
You know I really didn't think he was all that much of a drama queen. His supporters and a few Frost haters created most of the drama. I'm not blaming people for being upset with Frost but sometimes the rhetoric gets to be a little too much. It's going to be very interesting to see what the staff changes do on offense.

You know I really didn't think he was all that much of a drama queen. His supporters and a few Frost haters created most of the drama. I'm not blaming people for being upset with Frost but sometimes the rhetoric gets to be a little too much. It's going to be very interesting to see what the staff changes do on offense.
I didn't think he was until the Kentucky stuff started to pick up and then all of the sudden it was drama city. It might not be Wandale himself, but his camp was creating a lot of it and if it's me, I am telling my friends and family to just be quiet. With that said, he took small little shots throughout the season at Nebraska and it's just kind of petty. I get it, but move on. You are at a spot that is better for you.

I didn't think he was until the Kentucky stuff started to pick up and then all of the sudden it was drama city. It might not be Wandale himself, but his camp was creating a lot of it and if it's me, I am telling my friends and family to just be quiet. With that said, he took small little shots throughout the season at Nebraska and it's just kind of petty. I get it, but move on. You are at a spot that is better for you.
I agree it would have been better if he had just stayed classy in regards to his time at Nebraska. It's just another example of how social media amplifies silly things people say and do.

Reactions: leodisflowers
So the logic is as long as the body type is similar, you should be able to do anything that someone else does? Shall I point out the millions of exceptions to that arbitrary rule?
I was thinking the exact same thing. Seahawks been battling RB issues all year long. Tyler Lockett is about the same size as Vaughn and Robinson. Why didn’t TR just move to RB?

Reactions: artguy68
Well, that's some nonsense right there. They are both tough MF'n football players. Did you actually watch Kentucky's bowl game and still type that garbage? Wan'Dale about gets knocked out and still makes catches.
Aww, someone has a crush on Wandale lol

Wandale wanted to go home. Good for him, he wasn't misused at Nebraska, he just likes to create drama. Kid is a heck of a football player, but we should move on from the conversation. Wandale doesn't have the toughness of Vaughn, but not all players are a like.
I heard that Wandale's dad was concerned about injury to his son and didn't want him used as a RB. Any truth to that?

Yeah, me and everyone else that has the gift of sight, watched Kentucky's bowl game, has a brain and the ability to form a rational thought. lol
second

I have a huge crush on Wan'Dale & hope we are able to somehow sign many, many more of his caliber both on and off the field

kid shows up when the lights are bright, unlike the vast majority of our guys on offense since he left

Yeah, me and everyone else that has the gift of sight, watched Kentucky's bowl game, has a brain and the ability to form a rational thought. lol
Good. Then like everyone else, you would've seen that he's a decent slot receiver, while Vaughn is more of a superior all round player. Glad we're on the same page after all!

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
second

I have a huge crush on Wan'Dale & hope we are able to somehow sign many, many more of his caliber both on and off the field

kid shows up when the lights are bright, unlike a vast majority of our guys on offense since he left
So long as they're not 5'3 let alone playing as if they thought there were 6'1 lol

Good. Then like everyone else, you would've seen that he's a decent slot receiver, while Vaughn is more of a superior all round player. Glad we're on the same page after all!
Honest to god WTF are you talking about? You don't make any sense. You say everyone else, but literally no one is agreeing with you. Have you noticed?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
For all of the posters saying that Wandale was misused by asking him to run the ball between the tackles, did anyone notice how KSU used Deuce Vaughn? There is no way in hell that Vaughn is bigger than Wandale. He's listed at 5'5" and 171 lbs but there is no freaking way that he's that big. He seemed to do just fine playing RB and running between the tackles against LSU last night. That's the first time I've watched KSU for any length of time and granted LSU was down a bunch of players, but Vaughn was just fine at RB. By looking at Vaughn stand next to Warner, I believe that Vaughn is probably an inch or two shorter than Wandale and he can't weight over 160 lbs. No way.
This is a silly comparison. If you watched the games, you remember Wandale running between the tackles, only to be taken down with one hand by a tackle that reached out and grabbed him. That happened more than a few times. He's fast, he's quick, but he is not a guy that breaks tackles. Not a criticism just a reality.

I feel like a lot of people are still stuck in the sit-out-one-year transfer world, where players only tended to leave a program if they weren't getting playing time or had some major problem with their role on the team. Now that players can transfer once and be immediately eligible, many will leave shitty teams just to be on a better one.

Robinson did exactly that. Of course he might not have been perfectly happy with how Frost used him. But more than anything else, he left his home state in hopes of being part of a resurgent Husker program. What he got instead was a weekly crap sandwich, served any Saturday NU played an opponent with a pulse.

This is a silly comparison. If you watched the games, you remember Wandale running between the tackles, only to be taken down with one hand by a tackle that reached out and grabbed him. That happened more than a few times. He's fast, he's quick, but he is not a guy that breaks tackles. Not a criticism just a reality.
What is silly about comparing their size? Vaughn appears smaller than Wandale and people said Wandale was too small to run inside. Vaughn gets rag dolled when somebody gets a hand on him. That doesn't stop him from running inside. Did you even watch how LSU threw him around when they get a hold on him? Frost was ridiculed for "using Wandale incorrectly" when in fact KSU runs Vaughn at least as much as Frost ran Wandale between the tackles.

Reactions: headcard
I heard that Wandale's dad was concerned about injury to his son and didn't want him used as a RB. Any truth to that?
You hear lots of things that may or may not be truth. You know the drill, someone said, but no one seems to know who that someone was.

Reactions: ssmill777
We can’t laugh at Martinez for going to a one week and then say we should be modeling our skill player usage off the same 6-6 team the next week good lord Nebraska

What is silly about comparing their size? Vaughn appears smaller than Wandale and people said Wandale was too small to run inside. Vaughn gets rag dolled when somebody gets a hand on him. That doesn't stop him from running inside. Did you even watch how LSU threw him around when they get a hold on him? Frost was ridiculed for "using Wandale incorrectly" when in fact KSU runs Vaughn at least as much as Frost ran Wandale between the tackles.
It’s silly to cherry pick one other small back and suggest his success proves some point about Wan’Dale. I don’t remember saying Wan’Dale was too small to run inside, but at the time I definitely thought it was a waste of his talent in space to use him like that. I think his success at Kentucky proves that more than Vaughn’s success at KSU proves the opposite.

It’s silly to cherry pick one other small back and suggest his success proves some point about Wan’Dale. I don’t remember saying Wan’Dale was too small to run inside, but at the time I definitely thought it was a waste of his talent in space to use him like that. I think his success at Kentucky proves that more than Vaughn’s success at KSU proves the opposite.
there is one big difference nobody seems to be mentioning:

Vaughn is a running back
Wan'Dale is a wide receiver

obviously one would be more comfortable running between the tackles than the other. he's been doing it his entire life!

Vaughn is a running back

obviously one would be more comfortable running between the tackles than the other. he's been doing it his entire life!

Wan’dale was a RB in HS and came here to do both (and was successful doing it). Acting like he was always a WR is compete revisionist history.

They have comparable measurables, but not comparable ability to do the job. Wandale was completely ineffective between the tackles. Vaughn appears capable.

he has bigger cahonas s

They have comparable measurables, but not comparable ability to do the job. Wandale was completely ineffective between the tackles. Vaughn appears capable.
I would disagree with that when we weren't in short yardage situations in the redzone. One thing I didn't see KSU do with Vaughn was to try to pound him up the middle on the goal line. Some of that was just their different play calling and in that regard I agree that maybe Frost misused Wandale. That said, at the time he was doing that with Wandale, Wandale was the best RB we had available other than a walk on. Personally, I would have run a walk on out there if that's what we were going to call. Line up with Wandale in the slot, motion him to one side or the other THEN hand off to a walk on up the middle if you want. There was no reason to hand it off to Wandale up the middle 3 times inside the 5. That was just stupid. I only remember that happening just the one time, but it was one time too many.

Vaughn is a running back

Wandale played RB in high school as well as WR. He was a "Duck R" for Frost's offense which is little different than our Wingbacks used to be. I seem to recall Johnny Rodgers playing RB in the Orange Bowl. In addition he's been quoted multiple times on this board of wanting to be used like Frost used several future NFL guys at Oregon. He wasn't running between our tackles because they sucked.

His freshman year he was utilized exactly how he wanted to be used and how he was recruited to be used.

over the course of his freshman year, he and his handlers increasingly came to the realization that they wanted no part of that plan in the big ten. There were rumblings of him leaving after his freshman year - he, his handlers made this clear to the staff and Frost and Held convinced him to stay with the promise of his role evolving to more of a pure WR

they didn’t feel these assurances were kept during his sophomore year as he role devolved more and more toward the RB/duck role thus he was gonzo after his sophomore year

His freshman year he was utilized exactly how he wanted to be used and how he was recruited to be used.

over the course of his freshman year, he and his handlers increasingly came to the realization that they wanted no part of that plan in the big ten. There were rumblings of him leaving after his freshman year - he, his handlers made this clear to the staff and Frost and Held convinced him to stay with the promise of his role evolving to more of a pure WR

they didn’t feel these assurances were kept during his sophomore year as he role devolved more and more toward the RB/duck role thus he was gonzo after his sophomore year
Which is why many here don't like him. Knew what he was getting into and pussed out. Lame!

Reactions: jsachisler
I really hope Whipp finally says sayonara to the much-maligned "Duck-R" position

should've been called the "Husk-R" position the second Frost was hired here

just one of probably a billion details overlooked, leading to our horrendous on-field performances

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT